By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike T

Here is a list of all the postings Mike T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best Petrol Engine For An SLEC T240 - Advice Please Guys
10/09/2016 22:30:42

Coincidentally, I have a mate called Reg (also a pensioner) who built a T240 a few years ago. He fitted his with one of the ubiquitous 26cc petrols (either an SPE or RCGF). Flew just fine. Of course, four stroke petrols are nice to own - but horses for courses, eh?

Thread: propellor
04/09/2016 17:39:44
Posted by Percy Verance on 04/09/2016 15:49:11:

Just use a two bladed prop Eric. Four bladed props are not as efficient as two bladed props, and you won't know it's a two blader when it's in the air........

Wandering through Tesco the other day, I saw a promo video for a UV-activated cyano type adhesive.

One of the uses they demo'ed was fixing a broken blade back on a quad... surprise

Thread: How to make wing ribs
04/09/2016 17:35:33

Understood, Percy - just flagging up the 'flexi' option for new purchasers yes

04/09/2016 14:10:52

Cheaper, more flexible (literally!) and no less effective than Permagrit's spar slotters is a sheet of their own abrasive material which can be cut with heavy-duty scissors and cyano'd/epoxied to suitable sized offcuts of spruce, ply, etc. You can make up all sorts of scrapers and rifflers with this.

**LINK**

Thread: Simple Question
03/09/2016 17:50:32

When you say 'winter build' - do you mean the mass build, or the plan that'll be in the autumn special? I understand the latter is going to be a Zero. Either way, I'd go for the Tiger every time...

Thread: Junior 60 incidences
03/09/2016 17:43:17

The plan that comes with the Flair kit is pretty much identical to the KK plan you can download from Outerzone:

**LINK**

Mine was built as per, but it flies with a lot of down elevator trimmed in - the equivalent of cymaz packing the wing TE!

A 'built-in' solution would be to build the wing seat area nearer 0 deg. or pack the tail seat LE up a few deg. (at least 5 I'd guess)

FWIW, mine flies just fine with the down trim.

Edited By Mike T on 03/09/2016 17:44:42

Thread: Petrol glow plug
03/09/2016 17:23:02

Re needles, adaptors, carbs, etc., this is the sort of guy who I'd hope would take an interest:

**LINK**

Thread: Brushless Twinstar ESC conundrum
03/09/2016 16:20:53

Brushless gives a quantum leap in performance and I believe motor mounts in the latest version have been modified to make brushless installations easier. It is a superb (and superbly presented) model, which lends itself to all sorts of adaptions and conversions.

01/09/2016 21:18:01

Nice! I'm going to try the plug in a 'stock' SC65 F/s, just to see how usable an unmodified engine is.

Thread: sanding round edges
01/09/2016 21:14:49
Posted by Phil 9 on 01/09/2016 09:13:50:

I have made a few test pices from scrap to have a practice first

Always the best way to learn! yes

Thread: what is a " shockie "
01/09/2016 21:06:58

I think the name comes from the fact that a) it flies and b) it's shocking the amount some suppliers will charge for a sheet of Depron devil

Thread: NGT GT35 Engine Problem & Fix
01/09/2016 21:03:56

I agree with Bob - it looks as if the original carb had the opposite port providing the pulse - which would explain why there was a milled groove in the first place. They've changed the carb (or their supplier has supplied the wrong spec carb) and the gaskets/spacer haven't been changed to match! Schoolboy howler...

01/09/2016 20:45:36

Re Timothy Harris 1's points, more manufacturers do seem to be going for smaller petrols. OS is already producing 'model' petrol carbs (instead of using Walbros). And if OS are selling a petrol plug they must have a degree of confidence in it. (They know dabblers will try it in lash-ups, so they'll have made it robust so it doesn't get a poor reputation.) Re the industrial engines - in their intended use they get a far harder time than in any model installation, so they have to be bullet-proof. Hence they use a virtually unbreakable ignition system, burning readily available fuel. Moreover, it is the system used since their inception and has been proved to work, so I suspect their market would be quite resistant to change (a bit like the 'model' market, in fact!)>>

AFAIC petrol is no more hazardous than glow, if handled correctly, and surely one of the main selling points of petrol/spark is the 'fit and forget' nature - i.e. no more fiddling with needles. The main motivators for me to convert my Moki from glow in the first place were firstly mess and secondly fuel cost - the Moki was a thirsty beast on glow! The fact that I had the tools and materials to do it also helped. It was a simple step from there towards trying the G5 plug.>>

01/09/2016 19:10:46

Posted by GONZO on 01/09/2016 12:25:48:

Any use?

Yup! Go on - turn some upcheeky

Thread: sanding round edges
01/09/2016 00:54:12

Permagrit do convex and concave sanders. I usually do the straight edges using my 280mm sanding block. When they are done, I do the curves - using my 280mm sanding block. All it takes is a steady hand, a good eye and 40 years of experience...

01/09/2016 00:48:32

If someone did a range of petrol-optimised needles and jets for popular glow carbs, that would be ideal!

Thread: Laser 75 glo attachment
01/09/2016 00:42:41

I've got one of these on a cowled RCV91:

http://www.rapidrcmodels.com/remote-glow-plug-adapter-with-negative-wire-351-p.asp

Once it's on, the glow cap fitting is quite difficult to remove, so no issues over security!

Lots about, from various suppliers...

Edited By Mike T on 01/09/2016 00:43:39

Edited By Mike T on 01/09/2016 00:44:39

31/08/2016 13:12:49

A massier prop would probably help. The wood prop in the pics is a Clark 20 x 8. The Moki will easily swing a 22" but I haven't the ground clearance (even with the "tundra" tyres...). I can live with the high idle, but may try a G-sonic prop at some point (or a Master if I'm really desperate!)

31/08/2016 00:01:17

I should add that while this plug clearly works, I am using an engine that's already optimised for petrol (shimmed head; walbro carb). However, as it was originally a glow engine, it shows that a bit of light engineering can make these plugs worth a punt. Next experiment is to try it on a spare fourstroke (glow; no adaptions) to see how it gets on in that...

30/08/2016 23:51:23

I'm using one in a Moki 210 fitted to a H9 1/4 scale Cub. The Moki was converted to petrol by shimming the head (2 shims from JE) and fitting all the necessary Rxcel gubbins, plus a Walbro carb mounted via an adaptor spigot which I turned myself. I heard about the OS G5 plugs, so bought one (about 8 quid) and tried it. It works. Only problem is the idle which is not as low as I'd like - I'll maybe try another shim to lower the compression a bit more. One positive is that I have reverted to the 'reverse bounce' start that got the Moki going first time when it used to be a (messy) glow. Some pics:  First 2 show engine running with ign cap clearly off.  Remainder show installation with and without the Rxcel gear.  HTH.os g5 running.jpg

os g5 running1.jpg

withandwithout (4).jpg

withandwithout (3).jpg

withandwithout.jpg

Edited By Mike T on 30/08/2016 23:53:04

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us