By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Chaddock

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Chaddock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where have my Watts gone?
28/09/2020 16:39:08

Graham

The fact that you are using a lower kV motor will 'loose' some of your Watts.

The power absorbed by a prop is roughly proportional the square of the speed so (560 x 560)/(600x600) = 0.87. So the lower kV could account for maybe 13% of your loss.

This of course assumes that the motors are otherwise internally identical and the kV figures given by the manufacturer are accurate in the first place. wink 2

Thread: Ofcom trace interference to a lightbulb
25/09/2020 10:46:12

Most discharge lamps not only emit light in the visible spectrum but also in the non visible ultra violet range. To make use of this the inside of the glass is coated with materials that absorb the UV and emit visible light hence the term fluorescent lamp. This process has some 'persistence' so it will continue to glow dimly for a short while after the light is switched off.

The quality of the light a fluorescent lamp produces can be changed by using different types of coatings hence warm, cool and daylight types.

24/09/2020 15:46:38

Could the great length (300 mm?) of that single strand filament in that bulb be significant rather than the much shorter "coiled coil" used in a conventional incandescent bulb.

I don't know ES or SES fittings are that rare in the UK. I have an ES in my desk lamp and all oven bulbs are SES as far as I am aware. wink 2

Thread: Antonov AN124 Ruslan
23/09/2020 18:06:20

To be honest I did not see this coming.

Having adjusted the fin so it really was pointing straight down the fuselage centre line wink 2 I took the AN124 out to test if it made any difference. Flew around for several minutes and this happened.

crash1.

The RH wing panel became dislodged from its locating pins and rotated 90 degrees around the joiner tube. sad The resulting loss of lift and massive increase in drag not surprisingly resulted in a nose down RH spiral. Quite slow so I had time to close the throttle and watch helplessly as it crumpled into the ground.

The Depron did its usual shock absorbing such that the fuselage aft of the wing is completely undamaged however the impact was not kind to the nacelles or their pylons.

crash3.

However the wing centre section itself suffered only cosmetic damage.

I do have enough 3 mm Depron to rebuild it, not so sure about the patience, however conversion to the AN 225 is now out of the question. wink 2

First task is to try to work out why it failed when the previous 'video' flight had no problem.

The wing panel joining tubes are a friction tight fit with small short locating pins to keep it aligned with the wing centre section.

The outer panel also carries the aileron which being a swept wing means they are some way behind the joining tube axis. It is thus possible that using the ailerons and it needs a lot, caused the wing to wiggle a bit allowing it to 'work off' the locating pins.

Perhaps with the benefit of hindsight I should have anticipated this. The remedy is simple - put a retaining pin through the tube.so it cannot come out.

The second task is to establish the extent of the damage and 'tidy up' the pieces to prevent any further damage.

Finally work out what can be repaired and what needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

I have made a start on the fuselage by rebuilding it up to the wing leading edge.

fuserepair3

This should ensure the previous relationship between the wing and tail plane is retained.

Not looking forward to building the complete fuselage nose section again - all 750 mm of it!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 23/09/2020 18:08:00

Thread: Airborne Battery Pack Duration
20/09/2020 22:27:40

Tosh

I fear if an energy density significantly higher than that of a LiPo is achieved it is likely to make make such a battery potentially even more dangerous.

The best answer for duration at the moment is to make best use of the advantages of electric to allow a bigger battery capacity without increasing the wing loading.

19/09/2020 19:04:29

The fact the AN 124 flies so well re awakened the though of converting it to an AN 225.

The advantage of such a conversion is that it would use virtually all the AN 124 parts. The only new parts would be a new centre section that would carry the two extra fans. Outboard of that would be the normal AN124 wing. The fuselage would have extra sections inserted either side of the wing.

Of course described like that makes it sound easy. Yeah right!

This shows the sort of thing that is required. Grey is the new centre section, Blue the fuselage extensions.

124to225mods

I have shown a standard AN 124 tail rather than the twin arrangement on the existing 225 which was required as a Buran space shuttle carrier. The second but unfinished 225 does not have a tail plane so it is reasonable to assume (to me anyway!) that if ever completed (although its is now 20 years old!) it would have a conventional tail assembly.

225no2

Hopefully the limitations of ever getting the 225 bits into my car (the AN124 bits only just fit!) will stop me before going any further. wink 2

16/09/2020 22:11:19

Thanks for the kind words gents. It made the long wait to maiden really worthwhile.

Stephen - all it needs some really calm weather at the next DVMFC fly-in and you can watch the launch first hand.wink 2

Thread: 3D Model Printing
16/09/2020 16:54:16

Airpaddler

I do a lot of 3D printing for bits of planes but I cannot justify the weight to strength penalty of printing a complete plane compared to using other materials better suited to the application.

My first major use was for wing ribs where the structural strength of PLA could be used without an excessive weight penalty with a design that virtually matches the weight of one in balsa.

Both sides of a 200 mm long 3 mm thick printed Clark Y section rib.

lightrib.jpg

The outer profile is a single wall 0.4 mm thick as is the diagonal bracing with an intervening 'web' 0.15 mm thick. It weighs 1.2 g.

The accuracy and perfect repeatability on an item that is likely to be required in some number is also a useful attribute.wink 2

Another example of using appropriate materials. The complete fuselage pod, wing and motor mount of this 1350 mm span pusher is made up from 6 quite big 3D printed parts.

19may18.jpg

The nose is designed to exactly surround the LiPo battery and the ESC is fitted inside the wing pylon with integral cooling ducts included in the print. The Depron covered wing has 3D printed wing ribs.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 16/09/2020 16:56:22

16/09/2020 00:02:15

It has taken a while, nearly 9 months, but today the weather was kind enough to actually fly the Antonov.

This is actually is second flight. I did not video the actual maiden which was pretty short due to the motor problem.

It flies ridiculously slowly.

It flies better than I dared to hope thanks in no small part to the gyro!

Still a couple of things to adjust but mainly to correct fin as it looks a bit offset to the right needing quite a bit of left aileron trim to counter. Made worse by the fact its scale size ailerons are not that effective to start with.wink 2

Thread: Converting an Aerographics Gladiator to RC
14/09/2020 08:40:27

Stuart

The Aerographics web site suggest it can be done by an experienced modeller and perhaps using the Flight Test power pack A.

My own view is it would require quite some attention to keeping down the weight as at 21 " span it is quite a small plane.

How easy (or difficult) it would be to convert an already built model is open to question.

Thread: Don Valley MFC Open Weekend.
12/09/2020 23:22:36

John

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those involved in the open day today. The field was as superb as always.

Windy, yes, but it stayed dry all day.

Took 6, flew 5 (eventually) & crashed 2. I picked up all the Depron bits, honest.wink 2

Don'y worry about the folding chair I left behind.

Thanks again for a most interesting day..

Thread: New limit on groups in England from Monday?
11/09/2020 23:23:49

+1 on not catching Covid, particularly as many (most?) RC flyers are in the 'at risk' age group.wink 2

Thread: Richmond Park, new flying restrictions
11/09/2020 16:53:39

"Please fly....." Does not sound like a legal term although the individual restrictions are positive.

09/09/2020 11:40:49

John

I don't envy you trying to make a decision under the new rules announced last night!

Technically of course it is the individual attendees responsibility as to whether they attend or not and in any case the new rules don't apply til Monday but....... wink 2

Thread: Researching the ancient Ripmax Futaba M6
09/09/2020 00:28:41

NK Guy

45 years ago as a young man and as I was not on a film budget I could only afford a 'budget' Ripmax Futaba 2M.wink 2

2M 3 wire servos

35 MHz and I did use it in a glider.

I still have it with its box.

2M box

Much later I did pick up an M5 at a car boot sale. Rather older and on 27 MHz it used weird 5 wire servos.

Tx

It did still work at the time but I have never used it in anything.

Thread: To stabilise or not to stabilise - the gyro question
08/09/2020 23:58:06

TonyS

I use gyros (actually Lemon gyro Rx) quite a bit particularly on home built scale planes where there is a significant element of guess work in setting the CofG (and everything else!) for the maiden.

It can certainly make an EDF hand launch easier as the gyro will respond (in all three axis) much quicker than you can but only up to a limit. If however the hand launch is well below the minimum flight speed the gyro cannot help and you are then relying on the planes inertia to keep it in a 'flying attitude' until the thrust has accelerated the plane an adequate speed.

My only real criticism of a gyro system is its "rock steady" flight makes my normal flying look poor. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 08/09/2020 23:59:31

Thread: Photo rotation problem persists
07/09/2020 21:53:17

Same for me.

I use an old Kodak Easyshare M320 camera, then edit if required and resize all my pictures to 750 x 563 px (an old habit from when space was limited and up load speeds were slow).

Whatever way round I edit them then that's the way they appear on this site and have done so for over 10 years. wink 2

Thread: Power loss
06/09/2020 21:52:52

TonyS

I would agree that Nanotech have a reputation for a good performance when new but a relatively short working life, particularly if used at anything close to their claimed C rating.

Of course the ideal solution is to find an EDF that flies using no more than 10C max . The battery choice then becomes much less critical.wink 2 .

04/09/2020 23:50:49

John

Weather permitting I will be there.

Saturday looks best for me, least wind!

Thread: Drones/multirotors
02/09/2020 23:57:33

FB3

You only have to watch the TV to see just how many outside shots are now done from multi rotors.

Perhaps the biggest advance that 'drone' have created was in small high quality intelligent on line cameras now used by all the emergency services on a daily basis.

I noticed in America two airline pilots reported a human 'jet pack' pilot getting too close to aircraft coming into land at Los Angeles airport.

Its not just drones!

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!