By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Chaddock

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Chaddock has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: another noobie to site
14/11/2019 23:17:34

philip

Those planes look interesting - despite the predominance of inverted! wink 2

Thread: Antonov AN124 Ruslan
13/11/2019 00:33:35

The ext is the rear fuselage between the wing and the tail plane.

Built in the same way as before.

rearfuse3

rearfuse2

On the full size this would incorporate the rear door ramp but will not be included to ensure adequate rear fuselage rigidity.

Once complete it does allow the four section built so far to be stacked together.

fusestack

Its getting rather big and there is still a tail section to do that will hold the tail plane.smile o

Thread: Help! Twisted wing
11/11/2019 12:54:30

Phil

As Geoff and others have pointed out the severity of a warp depends on the nature of the underlying structure.

If the warp is simply due to the covering deliver unequal tension then within reason the wing can be set true and the covering re shrunk.

If the warp is derived from the actual structure than re shrinking the skin will not last long. As soon as covering goes slack for any reason (cold and damp) the warp will return.

Removing a structural warp will depend on the nature of the structure itself. If without any covering the wing is pretty flexible in torsion a long term solution would be to simply recover the wing, if however the wing was structurally stiff and warped then it would have to be rebuilt, at least in part, and any warped components replaced.

A 10 degree warp in a structure that is intended by design to hold a high degree of torsional accuracy suggest something is seriously wrong internally.

Thread: Average current draw
09/11/2019 18:54:49

John

Just remember that whilst the average current draw may be measured in ma the servo peak current can be more than 10 times as much.

Small batteries suffer voltage drop more than big ones. Receivers tend to be more voltage sensitive than servos and the loss of a receiver for just a second (not all recover than fast!) at the wrong time can be serious.

Thread: CAA BMFA
08/11/2019 17:18:59

My biggest grumble about the test is that a majority of the questions relate to situations for drones rather than model planes but having said that I read the associated online guide (easy to read, takes 5 minutes) and then took the test and scored 19/20. It also shows you what you got wrong.

And there is nothing stopping you having the guide 'open' at the same time as you are taking the test as long as you keep within the 20 minute time limit. wink 2

But I still don't like having to pay £9 for the 'operators' number just to keep within the law.

All dead easy to do but I fear this is just the thin end of the wedge.

Thread: Lipo for trainer
08/11/2019 16:33:05

andy

You really need a Watt meter to find out if you can.

With a Watt meter measure the full power amps and watts it uses on a 4s (take care!)

Find out the maximum allowable amps for the motor.

If the full power amps on 4s is already close to the motors maximum amps then a 3s is a positive "no".

If the full power 4s amps are significantly less than the motors maximum by say 30% then you can increase the prop size and/or pitch in stages measuring each time with the Watt meter until the full power amps are close to the motor's maximum.

It will fly if the full power 3s Watts is close (85%?) to the 4s figure. Only you can decide if the resulting performance is "good enough".

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 08/11/2019 16:33:21

Thread: CAA BMFA
08/11/2019 12:58:50

Wilco

The whole point of the legislation is that it makes it a criminal offence to fly a UAV outside the prescribed conditions just like driving a car beyond the posted speed limit.

That hasn't stopped speeding but it does make prosecution simpler if you are caught.

The same will apply to UAVs.

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
05/11/2019 15:54:13

Too many.

However 6 do not need labels. They are all below 250 g! wink 2

Thread: Gas engineers
04/11/2019 17:12:21

Barry

There is a difference in energy terms between 'steam' and 'condensation'. What you see in a gas CH exhaust is the condensation created when the slightly warm moist air (it has already been through a heat exchanger) hits the cooler atmosphere.

Being an all electric house simply means you don't see the waste energy that all energy generating systems produce.

fb3

When I moved into my current house it had a 'condemned' 30 year gas CH boiler which had a 'sensitive' pilot tight cut out (it would cut out randomly and be tricky to reset). It nevertheless it ran on for several years before it cut out permanently!

Now replaced a year ago by a modern much smaller condensing unit (it did not £2000+ after hunting round!). Yes it likely uses the same amount of gas but the house can now maintain 20 C regardless and the hot water is properly hot. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 04/11/2019 17:15:26

Thread: Orange RX R620X full range rx.
03/11/2019 20:27:02

I too noticed that Orange seem to have disappeared as has their web site.

You can order directly from the Lemon web site and delivery is prompt.

The 7 channel stabiliser is indeed very good. My third one will go into my as yet unfinished Depron AN124.

I note the stab gain control is powerful so follow their recommendation to initially set it at no more than 50%. wink 2

Thread: 5s / motor
02/11/2019 12:19:53

Voltage is a real limit for the ESC components but not so much for the motor.

Provided the load is kept within the maximum specification amps (amps alone dictates the heat generated) the voltage is not a issue although at some point the motor will start to suffer from the higher rpm, likely the bearings first or at extreme rpm it could throw a winding.

The winding insulation can also break down but you are up to many hundred volts before that is likely.

The manufacturer sets the advised limit at 4 s as the life of the motor is likely to be acceptable as far as warranty claims are concerned. wink 2

Even keeping the same amps the motor at 5s will develop about 30% more power but as Gordon points out smaller higher revving props are less efficient so you won't see all of that extra in flight but with the same battery weight the flight duration will decrease by at least that figure, if not more! smile o

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 02/11/2019 12:22:07

Thread: Wattmeter Quandry?
02/11/2019 11:48:59

Simon

In the IC world, where RPM and static thrust is about all you can really measure, pulling the predicted revs for a given prop is good enough!

Don't chase Watts, its only a power input not a power output, just fly it. wink 2

02/11/2019 10:07:15

Simon

Are by any chance these figures the maximum readings as recorded by the Watt meter?

If so they need to be treated with a pinch of salt as they may represent just an instant peak rather than a true average power reading.

I really only use a Watt meter to give me confidence that I am not exceeding any components limit and to give a 'ball park' figure to the Watts being used.

01/11/2019 21:42:56

Just a bit more progress.

With one side planked and the other side of the formers added,

noseplank2

The fully planked nose in place.

noseon

The nose is located on 4 pins, one long and 3 short, to make fitting easier.

nosepins

The nose cone will be 3D printed.

Thread: speed 400 x 3!
30/10/2019 10:42:31

Den

The voltage a brushed motor can handle very much depends on the amps flowing and the design and quality of its brushes. The voltage itself, within reason, is not a problem.

Just putting 11V on a motor than is already loaded so it is taking its full rated amps at 8.4V will nearly double the current so things will go wrong quickly.

However if the load is reduced (smaller or lower pitch prop) to keep the amps within the motor specification then apart from spinning faster no problem. In that respect really no different to a brushless set up.

The need for a Watt meter to measure what is actually happening is obvious. wink 2

30/10/2019 10:19:46

The nose plan.

nosefull

Quite a complex shape as it has a 'cutout' at the top around the cockpit and a step at the bottom.

As before built as a half shell over the plan.

noseplank1

But the complex shape and the extreme change in section over a relatively short distance makes the planking very tedious.

After all it is just a big 'fairing' that serves no structural purpose so it has to be kept as light as possible. wink 2

Thread: West Wings Sea Fury RC conversion
30/10/2019 00:58:55

Well done indeed!

My own view is that the wood that went into the bottom wing skin would have been better used to create say a D box wing spar. I suspect it would have come out lighter and significantly stiffer. wink 2

Thread: source of 2mm Depron?
28/10/2019 09:23:28

As far as I am aware the original 'stiff' Depron is no longer made in any thickness.

Softer 'aero' Depron is still made on the continent but only in 3 mm and above thickness.

I can only suggest if you can find any 2mm Depron - buy it!

Thread: BEC alternatives
26/10/2019 15:17:29

"Some sort of filter" is a switching voltage regulator or 5V UBEC.

Small, efficient and available in a range of max amps outputs. Most can handle an input voltage up to 30V.

Thread: Charging LiFePo4 batteries
26/10/2019 12:39:26

+1 on using good (probably more expensive) brands.

It is not unknown for brand reject batteries (usually out of spec IR or capacity) to end up re labelled and cheap on Ebay. and I am speaking from experience!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us