By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kevin b

Here is a list of all the postings kevin b has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Paxolin
14/02/2019 17:54:50
Posted by Stearman65 on 14/02/2019 16:22:35:
Posted by kevin b on 14/02/2019 12:12:10:

OOps, I saw this thread and mistakenly thought it was about scale covered mammals. face 20

I think that's a Pangolin?wink

Oh, I thought that was an old string instrument. angel

14/02/2019 12:12:10

OOps, I saw this thread and mistakenly thought it was about scale covered mammals. face 20

Thread: Flair ?
12/02/2019 11:28:37

Thanks for the response folks.

My concern was that these were not genuine items and someone was trying to take advantage of the lack of availability of the kits.

I have contacted Flair and can confirm that these are genuine part kits and that full kits are also going to be available. They are however having some issues with the aluminium cowls apparently.

If anyone is looking for a kit I would suggest contacting them to discuss availability. The kits on ebay are being sold by Dean and I am pleased that production is going to continue.

For my part, the Airsail model kits are now under ownership of another U.K kit manufacturer and hopefully the full range should be available towards the end of the year.

11/02/2019 21:44:46
Posted by Broken Prop on 11/02/2019 21:35:44:

Thanks also Kevin, not for the heads up on the Pup, but on that page I spotted the Tiger Moth refurb kit.

I have been looking for that for months!

Glad to be of service !

Something just doesn't seem right about it. They can't be overruns as the wood is too big to go in a Flair box and the cowl just doesn't look "professional" enough for Flair. It also says "New stock" as if Flair are now producing them.

Has anybody heard anything from Flair recently ?

11/02/2019 19:59:44

Curious ? I have just seen this advertised on you-know-where.

**LINK**

I, like many others, though Flair had stopped production. Interestingly, the name of the registered director at companies house is a chap called "Dean".

Flair never used to supply short kits as far as I am aware. Also the cowl is not fully shaped as per original, being flat at the front with no return.

I wonder if this is someone cashing in on the current high prices commanded for the old kits at the moment.

Talking of which, if anyone is silly enough to want to part with over £200.00 for an old Pupeteer, or Legionaire kit I might know where there a couple that might be available. wink 2

Thread: What does your wife or significant other half think of your hobby?
26/01/2019 19:18:05

I'm afraid I don't qualify to vote in this poll.

However, living on my own in a large house, with lots of rooms full of aeroplanes and a very well kitted out workshop, does have its compensations. wink 2

I have owned a few books, but the lending library is useful. devil

Thread: Catastrophe!
24/01/2019 22:25:03

With servos as shown, stuck in their last position I would suggest power failure to the receiver.

Loss of signal would have caused the failsafe to cut in and return them to neutral (was the failsafe set up properly ?).

I think that the problem was between the receiver plug and the battery. Either a connection coming apart, or failure of the ESC. With that amount of damage I would bin the ESC anyway. They are not as robust as they appear to be, as I found out myself some time ago.

Thread: Half a page ?
23/01/2019 18:34:23
Posted by Martin Harris on 23/01/2019 18:23:58:

My money's on Erfolg...

Meoww.

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 20:08:22

I started into this hobby by watching my father build a Mercury Grebe. I must have been about 2 years old at the time. After that I was a committed model builder until the age of about 16 (not that any of them flew very well). Then I noticed that some people were different. Their bodies were a different shape and although I didn't know why, I found them "interesting". I realised later that this was cunning move by nature to exercise its power over mere mortals and eventually, years (and much expense) later I managed to regain my senses. Nowadays I have a lot more time to build and fly aeroplanes, although sometimes it is necessary to ward off the attentions from ladies of a "certain age". My personal opinion is that a good meal is a lot more enjoyable.

I cut that last sentence short in order not to bring on the wrath of the mods. wink 2

Thread: HK where have the balsa kits gone
19/01/2019 16:04:59

Re HobbyKing and kits.

My opinion is that HobbyKing went into "traditional" kits to check the market and profitability. They would also look at the effect on additional sales of parts and materials. They are constantly doing this through the range of hobbies they cover. If a "trend", or niche market is filled or slowing down, they move resources elsewhere.

Obviously there is not enough profit in these kits to persuade them to continue with development of that line.

You have to realise that these are not hobby based businesses. They are based on turnover and profit, which they obtain by attempting to satisfy niche markets, which in this case fall into the leisure industry. Buying and selling (at a profit) is all they are interested in.

19/01/2019 10:43:35

Simon.

Excuse me, but I beg to differ. The fact that kits are not available from the "cheap" shops doesn't mean that they are gone.

For example at Leeds model shop they are showing over 190 kits as being available and over 140 in stock.

100 Free flight and display kits

26 Scale kits

13 Gliders

6 Sport kits.

Many of the smaller kit manufacturers sell their products on line (both here and abroad).

Also several of the plan and short kit manufacturers will supply materials to produce a full kit. Instructions and build logs being available on line through websites and forums.

Ripmax are now starting to supply new copies of old kits

(wonder how that will affect Replikit and Vintage Models ?).

I also know of at least one manufacturer who is modernising a full range of rubber powered free flight and RC kits. for production later this year.

We forget (an age thing) that in days of yore buying a kit or ordering a plan was more or les the only way to build models (other than design your own). Their quality was not wonderful, they were very rarely complete and many didn't fly very well unless built by an expert.

We also forget that manufacturers didn't supply direct and if what we wanted wasn't in stock at the local model shop, then it would have to be ordered. It may take several weeks to obtain the model you wanted and not much (if any) competition in price unless you lived in a major city with several model shops.

From a model building perspective "we have never had it so good".

Edited By kevin b on 19/01/2019 10:44:20

Thread: Contacting retailers
15/01/2019 09:42:31

The telephone is an old fashioned device for communicating with people, who are not necessarily stood next to you. I whole heartedly endorse it and have had great success with it. Some people even have a machine, whereby you can leave a message if they are not readily available and can call you back upon their return. devil

I am also given to understand that some telephone companies allow you to make calls up to one hour long without charge ! This is much appreciated here in Yorkshire. smiley

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
15/01/2019 09:34:42
Posted by Peter Miller on 15/01/2019 08:16:45:

Pity that it can only be seen by mexmbers of Facebook.

I refuse to go on any of these types of website

Here, here. yes

Thread: ASP Engines
03/01/2019 17:09:12
Posted by Nigel R on 03/01/2019 16:58:43:

Another option, keep an eye on Ebay for Irvine 53s, come up quite regular, good motors.

yes

Thread: Hmmm
02/01/2019 19:28:51

Maybe someone should tell him that kids don't build balsa wood aeroplanes any more.

They go online and buy rtfs (made of foam).

Mind you, when did a journalist last get all their facts right ?

02/01/2019 16:28:29

I particularly liked the bit about adults desperate not to grow up.

**LINK**

Thread: AirSail Piper Tomahawk restoration
26/12/2018 20:50:09

P.M sent David.

The Airsail kits now have a new home and will be available sometime late 2019 and you should be able to get them from your LMS. The new owners don't sell direct.

For my part I will still have some involvement with the development of the existing and new models. If anyone else is in need of spare parts I will be happy to assist you in obtaining them.

Kevin b

Thread: Recommended First Balsa Kit
26/12/2018 19:25:15

Lots of helpful advice on here Neil !

Also lots of opinions on models and kits.

You like warbirds, so why not look round for semi-scale warbirds. Start off with what the kit manufactures have to offer, then the short kit producers and finally the plan builds.

Then you can look on the internet for build logs for your short list. Although kits don't come complete (covering, motors, wheels, etc) They are usually good value for someone who hasn't got build experience and the long standing manufacturers are still here for a good reason.

Regarding advice as to a particular model. Don't build a Spitfire !!!

Thread: Airsail Auster AOP9 1/4 Scale
23/12/2018 19:54:50
Posted by Pascal Lavoie on 23/12/2018 17:27:29:

Good day to all. I received an unfinished Auster AOP9 like discussed into this discussion. It is a kit built buy Airsail (1900mm or 74.8inch wing spam). Unfortunately for me the "gift" I got had no plans in it. This is very unfortunate as to build the wings I need the plans. If any one of you know where I could find the plans it would be appreciated. I wrote to Airsail and I am waiting for a reply, Thank you in advance.

Pm sent.

Thread: More flying sites needed!
15/12/2018 18:49:26
We Posted by SONNY MONKS on 15/12/2018 16:55:21:

but where are the fields?

Where about in Yorkshire are you ?

We have a nice (small) field and not many members in North Yorkshire.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Motion RC
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us