By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kevin b

Here is a list of all the postings kevin b has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
21/10/2019 22:27:53

So, let me get this right.

Anybody with an "A" certificate is ok as long as they pay the fee. Through the BMFA is easiest.

Anybody without an "A" certificate has to pass an online test every 3 years until they get their "A" certificate, but can still pay through the BMFA (subject to new rules next year).

Anybody who fails the online test cannot fly, except on a buddy lead at BMFA registered clubs, but doesn't have to pay the fee.

Unfortunately I have to have this in plain English to pass on to some of our club members.

I will double check this with the BMFA.

Edited By kevin b on 21/10/2019 22:29:37

Thread: How far do you travel to fly at your club?
20/10/2019 11:25:21

5 minutes on a bad day (traffic wise). yes

I live 2 miles away from the club field (almost in a straight line !).

The only down side is that we only have an East / West strip. The prevailing wind used to be in the right direction, but over the last couple of years it has become increasingly changeable. The local trees are also starting to grow straighter as well instead of leaning !

Edited By kevin b on 20/10/2019 11:26:21

Thread: Chilli jam or chutney
18/10/2019 19:49:08
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 18/10/2019 19:41:04:

Good grief a lot of flyers must be suffering Cabin Fever with all this rain. wink

Yup.

Can we have an emoji with an umbrella please mods ?

(anybody got a good recipe for ginger nuts ?)

Edited By kevin b on 18/10/2019 19:50:03

Thread: Old 35mHz Futaba
18/10/2019 18:17:06

A lot of us are keeping our 35mhz kit.

Just i case !

Thread: Suggestions for sport planes for an OS 25 FX engine
10/10/2019 00:04:04

Marutaka Mighty Knight ?

19-25 2 stroke, or 30-40 4 stroke.

Bolted, or banded on wing.

Trike or tail dragger with retracts.

Mighty Knight

Thread: scottish aviation bulldog
07/10/2019 20:21:51

Brian.

Nice aeroplane, but not without its problems.

They tend to come out rather tail heavy, so the wing loading is quite high when balanced.

Scale undercarriage gives minimal prop clearance, so small props have to be used.

The original had a .60 2 stroke in it and apparently needed full flaps to get off the ground !

I have done a lot of work redesigning this model and am now on my second prototype. The first one took off from a very nice, long run and smoothly lifted up to about 2 metres off the ground. Then for reasons we still cannot figure out it stood on its nose and went in under full power. It was as if the wheels had hit a crosswire across the runway. Many lessons learnt from that airframe and hopefully the modifications on the new one will address the tail heaviness a little. At least we now have a more than adequate power system.

Eric Evans original plan featured in RCM&E December 1974. I can copy the article for you, if you want.

Thread: Point of purchase tax
04/10/2019 21:08:17

There will only be one winner. wink 2

We all want to buy it cheaper. That is why so many LMS have closed.

The answer is. If you want to play the game, then you must study the rules carefully, so that you understand them. When you have done that, you will then be in a position to decide if you are saving money. If you cannot be bothered to spend the time in doing so, then caveat emptor, as they say.

Edited By kevin b on 04/10/2019 21:15:39

Thread: Help please with enlargment of pdf plans
03/10/2019 19:29:35

Phil.

PM me with your email address, the exact wingspan and chord width you want and I will resize it for you.

smiley

I also have the Royal / Marutaka kit, which is just over 68ins span as well.

Edited By kevin b on 03/10/2019 19:41:40

Thread: A Terrifying story
01/10/2019 20:00:01

Colin.

Have you considered not holding the pint whilst trying to operate the twist grip on your motorbike ?

wink

Thread: P&P charges from the USA
29/09/2019 19:04:11
Posted by dave parnham on 29/09/2019 17:13:15:

Just been looking at Plans and kits from Balsa USA.com and they want $100 dollars as shipping deposit.

So a $40 dollar plan could cost 140 dollars total.face 7

The cheapest way to get plans from abroad is to buy pdf, or jpg versions and have them printed over here. Although not all sellers will oblige.

However there are a lot of plans out there that are not as expensive (or are free), so it is worthwhile searching the internet, or asking on forums like this one. RC Groups is another very good site, where people are happy to share information.

What plans are you looking for ? I might be able to help.

29/09/2019 12:06:20

You think U.S. postage is expensive ?

Try Canada !!!

It will get more expensive since Donald's latest "teddy throw" regarding international postage.

My advice if you are considering buying anything from abroad is to do it sooner, rather than later. particularly if it is from the far East. Their postal rate advantage won't last forever and prices are slowly rising.

Thread: Have You Ever Noticed...
26/09/2019 19:36:30
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 26/09/2019 18:52:51:

Dave, have you ever noticed, that whatever forum you patronise, be it aeromodelling or otherwise, there is always some miserable so and so who always has something negative to say, the sort of person who could start an argument in an empty room.

Don't let them get to you.

No there isn't.

devil

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
22/09/2019 19:54:44
Posted by MAD Dave on 22/09/2019 19:22:10:

Is there any clue to the life of the laser?

How long is a piece of string.

Sorry Dave, but there are so many variables you can't get accurate figures. Let's just say if you are using it for hobby purposes, "a long time".

Robert, as far as i can gather Wintopo like jpegs. Acrobat files are easy to convert, but be careful. You may find that some files come out at a different size when printed / cut.

Another tip is to keep old cardboard boxes for practicing with. They are a lot cheaper than balsa ! Once you have cut a cardboard set, you can check against the plan before cutting wood. that way. rather than get "near enough" you can produce really accurate pieces that you can later duplicate, if necessary.

22/09/2019 10:34:05

Hi Robert.

I too have a nice size laser cutter, which is extremely useful.

However I must point out that it is imperative that you have good ventilation whilst using it. You are better using it in the shed than the house !

You may not think that there are fumes, but there are. Particularly when cutting any ply, which can be very nasty. This is why commercial cutters are fully enclosed with extraction units.

There is a free software program called Wintopo, which you might find useful. It converts drawings (jpg) into vector files (Dxf). It is very good if you struggle with CAD.

Thread: All weather flyer.
11/09/2019 18:46:19

How about, wingspan approx 24ins. Weight about 1kg with auto-stabilisation as standard.

Due to the weather this year, it about the only thing flying around our field.

It's called a Duck.

devil

Thread: Re: Looking Back 43 Years
07/09/2019 19:10:31

2006 !

Back to model aeroplanes

Ic engines, very reliable and not as expensive to run. Model planes, cheaper than taking someone out for a meal and my tranny is now the love of my life.

yes

07/09/2019 19:06:10

1976 ?

I had recently discovered an alternative to model aeroplanes - GIRLS.

They could be just as awkward as your average diesel. Probably as expensive as airframes, but lots more fun to hug than an RC transmitter !

devil

Thread: One for the single channel fans
05/09/2019 16:08:06

I was browsing through Ebay (as you do), when I came across this.

**LINK**

If it is of any interest to you.

Thread: interest renewed
28/08/2019 18:27:32

Welcome back Peter.

Do you mean traditional style (scale), or traditional build (plan or kit) ?

Lots of free plans available on 'tinternet and still a few kit manufacturers about if you look.

What area are you located in ?

Thread: Drone At Gatwick
28/08/2019 14:46:50
Posted by ken anderson. on 28/08/2019 14:42:15:

where I live, north east there are some nice tourist spots on our doorstep...………… Saturday I was at one of them with probably100's of others around lunch time, lots of activities going on and above our heads was a drone....and someone nearby with his FPV head unit on...…. he proceeded to overfly all and sundry, I was thinking that if it came down it was guaranteed to hit someone or thing. After 1/2 an hour he landed and retreated to his car.....so in theory in a couple of months he would be liable to a canny fine or would he still be ignored? also he was in controlled airspace....so to my mind he was def breaking a few existing rules and regs…...

ken anderson...ne..1..... canny fine dept.

There is never a policeman (or woman) around when you want one. devil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us