By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BobW

Here is a list of all the postings BobW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
15/04/2018 07:36:24

Here's my latest 3D printed pilot, Baron Otto Von Schnorkel. in my 25 year old Magnatilla which I've been restoring to take part in float plane events. He's on Thingiverse if you want the files.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2845436

Otto painted

Ottos unpainted

Thread: Fusion 360 for modellers
02/03/2018 04:02:33

Hi Nev. This is as near as I could find for this. There doesn't seem to be a simple method of sketching straight onto a curved surface but if you follow this you tube vid and replace his text for a blister shape sketched as he shows I think you might have a starting point for the blisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK3YqXD8jGY

25/01/2018 08:17:09

Hi Trevor, sorry for the delay in replying. The Mills 1.3 tank was printed in translucent PLA. I'm not sure how ABS fairs but PLA, even at 100% fill, isn't water tight (or fuel tight). PLA doesn't seem to be affected by diesel fuel (glow fuel does affect it) so I rinsed the inside out with Plastic weld solvent, poured in in, swilled it round and poured it out and left to dry and it's now fuel tight.

23/01/2018 09:45:40

Just back on here. Definitely the revolve tool is the way to go. The tank on my Mill 1.3 was designed the same way.p5010003.jpg

20/05/2017 15:19:33

hi Ian

What I was wanting was to have the first post with all the guides on it and add to it as and when I completed them but it doesn't seem to work like that. When I realised I'd made a couple of simple mistakes and corrected them and resaved the file the link then goes dead. So you need to look for my last post about the guides, currently on the end of page 1, and all the guides are there. What I should have done is have a link to a folder on Google Drive and I could have done what I was wanting. Hope this helps

Bob

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
01/05/2017 11:46:59

A tank for an India Mills 1.3cc engine.

The tank was printed in translucent PLA and tank top in silver grey PLA. I've been testing PLA to see how proof it is with fuel. I cut a few length of PLA filament and dropped them in jam jars or Diesel fuel and Glow fuel (standard Diesel and Synthetic 10% nitro Glow). Left them for a month of so and the diesel doesn't seem to have had any affect on the PLA. The PLA softened slightly in the glow fuel but didn't dissolve and didn't seem to get any softer than after its first day in it. The print was porous slightly and the inside has been sealed with Plastic Weld solvent.

The files for the tank and top are on Thingiverse if anyone wants them.

p5010003.jpg

20/04/2017 13:29:38

Sanding sticks, a bit more involved but again available on the Thingiverse download page if you want to give them a go.

p4200157 (2).jpg

20/04/2017 13:27:06

A switch cover plate. A simple print but useful for colour matching with your model. Available to download on the Thingiverse page if you want it.

p4200175 (2).jpg

Edited By BobW on 20/04/2017 13:27:38

19/04/2017 16:25:44

Very nice yes

What plastic did you use for the wheel and what have you laced it with?

29/03/2017 14:15:18

Hi, I've done dummy cylinders in two ways. I decided to do some for my Flair Baronette triplane, I reckoned I could get 3 dangling below the part cowl so made them as you thought by drawing out the full cylinder and splitting it vertically, printing two halves and gluing them together, also added the valve gear on the top along with the weirdly curved inlet manifold (a pig to draw). I got 3 all made then spent half a day kicking myself as I couldn't fit them cos the engine silencer was in the way!!! Ah well. Also done it the other way by printing individual fin disks and stacking them on top of the other engine parts and each other, a much better result. See my pic of the Mills 0.75 electric in the Show us your 3d prints thread. But yes a dummy cylinders might also be another good project.

29/03/2017 11:15:25

Hi Graham. I've not had a problem with the printer and overhangs like that. So long as it's been a curve that's part of a full circle it's been ok up to maybe 10mm dia. I've tried it at around 30mm dia but the top underside has been a bit raggy, not unusable but not as it should be. I think you'd have to build some sort of central support in it that could be cut away after printing but then you would have the problem of cleaning it up so you're probably no better off. The same would apply with putting holes in vertical parts. In some of the things I've done I've put a recess to hold a nut for a bolt to go in and the same there so long as the nut corner is at the top rather than a flat.

Servo wing frames - what size servos? I suppose it doesn't matter as the sizes can be adjusted for whatever you've got and I suppose the same with a receiver holder. I'll give those some thoughts.

Thread: Somewhere to share our own 3D designs
21/03/2017 16:40:52

Nice, I like it smiley

15/03/2017 11:17:12

Hi folks, back again. Here's the 3rd Guide to Fusion 360 for modellers with the previous guides now updated to fix a few problems. All the links on my previous posts won't work now and these here are the most current (Just wish I could edit my previous posts and the problem would be solved but there you go)

I need ideas for future guides, some more simple ones like these and maybe some a bit more challenging. What would be good to be able to print for your models? What would be useful? Any ideas, please let me know or I'll end up bumbling along on my own. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

Guide 1 - Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Guide 2 - Designing a pushrod exit guide **LINK**

Guide 3 - Designing a saddle clamp **LINK**

Guide 4 - Designing wheels?? (To follow in a while unless I get a better suggestion)

Any questions you want to ask please do so, I can't guarantee I know the answer but I'll try and if I don't maybe someone else does.

Edited By BobW on 15/03/2017 11:18:21

14/03/2017 11:56:33

Hi Graham. I've worked from a sketch upwards and its fine for certain things but I'm finding starting with a solid is easier for the parts I'm designing. I've used the sketch approach when I made 3D printed wing ribs for my indoor model. I used a number of progs to arrive there. I used Profili2 to get a wing section and took that to a 2D design prog I have used to add parts to it. Then exported that as a .dxf and imported that as a sketch into Fusion 360. It work but I think there's better ways of doing it. The wing ribs worked well but the whole wing printed was a bit of a floppy mess. Worth a go but there's better ways of making a wing. smiley

dscn2839a.jpg

13/03/2017 07:13:56

Woops, spotted my first mistake, I've changed Step 2 to a new version without the mismatch in sizes.blush

Hi folks. Here's the next stage for a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

I want to start right at the beginning for those with limited CAD knowledge and after an initial introduction to the programme I'm going to work through some simple projects to show how we can use it. I'm preparing downloadable pdfs to cover various topics and projects. Click on the links to get the pdf

Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Designing a pushrod exit guide https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk7qiWpxkUHek8tQURrZU9rNFU/view?usp=sharing

Step 3 Designing a saddle clamp (To follow soon)

Step 4 ... ?

Any questions you want to ask please do so, I can't guarantee I know the answer but I'll try and if I don't maybe someone else does.

Edited By BobW on 13/03/2017 07:25:50

12/03/2017 18:19:31

Hi folks. Here's the next stage for a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

I want to start right at the beginning for those with limited CAD knowledge and after an initial introduction to the programme I'm going to work through some simple projects to show how we can use it. I'm preparing downloadable pdfs to cover various topics and projects. Click on the links to get the pdf

Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Designing a pushrod exit guide **LINK**

Step 4 ... ?

12/03/2017 17:24:13

Well I've got step 2 finished. That took a bit more time than I thought and for some reason I can't edit my original post to add it there!!!! If you're reading this Ian, any thoughts?

10/03/2017 22:03:28

Just had a quick check and Fusion 360 minimum requirement is Windows 7 upwards

10/03/2017 19:13:20

Hi folks. I'm preparing a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress so there may be delays in getting files on here initially.

Step 1 Setting up Fusion 360 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk7qiWpxkUHb01iZFlxTHM2UGM/view?usp=sharing

Step 2 Designing a pushrod exit guide (To follow soon)

Step 4 ... ?

Edited By BobW on 10/03/2017 19:41:07

Thread: 3D Printers, where do you store and use yours
10/03/2017 18:51:58

Ah Google drive, sorted smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us