By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Slickriff

Here is a list of all the postings Slickriff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning to play guitar
25/02/2017 22:43:02
....and before anyone thinks my tag is a bit "swollen head" ...it was my band member name in a charity spoof heavy metal band.....
25/02/2017 22:40:48
Looking at the original post it looks like you are interested in basic rock guitar. Pretty much any modern electric set up well by a shop should play and sound reasonable. I have found (over 35 years) that 9 gauge stings (any brand) are the best compromise of ease of playing and staying in tune.
Lessons arent compulsory, i have played in a few bands (even supported some "famous" bands) but never had a lesson. Music is about simple mathematical mathematical patterns. Learn the names of the notes for each fret on the bottom E, and the shape of the standard blues bar chord. Wherever you put your first finger on the bottom E, that is the chord you are playing. You will spot very quickly the intervals between chords are the same in each key. Eventually you will find other ways and places to play these and other chords, and realise that the pentantonic blues scale is pretty much all you need for solos, and it has the same reference method as the basic blues bar chord.
It then nust comes down to practice to get your fingers on both hands quicker and more accurate....and the bottle to get used to controlling the sound from a loud amp.....
Most of all...enjoy it.
Thread: Staufenbiel
17/02/2017 18:51:16
I used them recently. Absolutely fine. Sure it will be ok.
Thread: Something uplifting for the weekend
05/11/2016 13:03:10
Time for a pringle sandwich methinks....
Nevermind, indoor tomorrow.
Thread: Y lead
19/08/2016 11:09:28

I get the impression that it is thought you can swap direction by swapping terminals (unless I read it wrong). Just like normal servos the position is set by the pulse rate on the signal lead, which is why servo reversers have electronics in them and don't just swap leads over.

Thread: Did I Really Do That?
14/03/2016 18:56:55

Truly hideous BEB. Looks like the  offspring of a James Bond gadget and a cyclops. I remember the days when you used to turn up at the strip with pretty planes...

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 14/03/2016 19:06:49

Thread: Which radio 2016
03/02/2016 19:31:29
Taranis +1
Doesn't need a module. Standard radio. Computer use makes it easier to program than most and more flexible.
Thread: Flashing Firmware to a Fr Sky X6R receiver
19/04/2015 17:08:29

BEB is a clubmate of mine and after chatting to Chris he pointed me in this direction. My thanks to both Chris and Mike as it works perfectly.

Thread: National Model Flying Centre
19/08/2014 22:00:33

As many people in the thread have stated, the main reason people are in the BMFA is for insurance. After a small incident at our field it was reported to the BMFA for insurance reasons JUST IN CASE SOMEONE MADE A CLAIM , and the response was a form to fill in and a request for fifty quid. The fifty quid was to cover administration costs, so I am not really sure what our fees cover but apparently not all our day to day insurance.........yet there is money for a national flying centre?! Something seems very wrong with priorities here.

Thread: BEB's Tuc
19/06/2013 08:03:19

Looks very impressive BEB. We guessed that was the reason you weren't at the Cherry Orchard. Hopefully at the field tonight, maybe if your bits arrive we will see you for a maiden.

30/05/2013 23:22:20

So thats why you weren't down the field tonight on a non-rainy day...you were playing with pegs! The fly in must be close when you make that choice. Joking aside, although we have spoken about your build I hadn't noticed the build thread. It looks fantastic.

Thread: BMFA A-certificate 1kg minimum model weight
11/03/2013 23:52:39

Still got it wrong, the quote was from bearair

11/03/2013 23:51:07

Sorry, didn't know how to "quote"

Posted by Slickriff on 11/03/2013 23:48:53:

There is NOT A HUGE DIFFERENCE between a model of 0.5 kg and a model of 200000kg if the aerodynamics and wing loading are the same(ok reynolds numbers may make a bit of difference but if anything I would of thought it would favour the larger craft) Weight has got nothing to do with it.

There is sufficient difference between a 0.5kg high wing foamy and something like an Arising Star or Boomerang to be very noticeable, in exactly the same way as there is a noticeable difference between an Arising Star and a nearly 7kg Cub or Cessna. Wing loading is not the only factor, as I said, momentum changes response as does the non scaleability of air. This is not always about an aircraft flying steadily, it is how it responds with sudden inputs which happen both deliberately and as a response to things not quite going to plan.

Another factor we often notice is the "bicycle clips needed" effect on peoples ability to fly a new model safely, basically down to nerves. In my experience this is always made worse moving to a bigger (often more expensive) model, but not normally made worse by dropping down to a smaller lighter one.

11/03/2013 23:48:53

There is NOT A HUGE DIFFERENCE between a model of 0.5 kg and a model of 200000kg if the aerodynamics and wing loading are the same(ok reynolds numbers may make a bit of difference but if anything I would of thought it would favour the larger craft) Weight has got nothing to do with it.

There is sufficient difference between a 0.5kg high wing foamy and something like an Arising Star or Boomerang to be very noticeable, in exactly the same way as there is a noticeable difference between an Arising Star and a nearly 7kg Cub or Cessna. Wing loading is not the only factor, as I said, momentum changes response as does the non scaleability of air. This is not always about an aircraft flying steadily, it is how it responds with sudden inputs which happen both deliberately and as a response to things not quite going to plan.

Another factor we often notice is the "bicycle clips needed" effect on peoples ability to fly a new model safely, basically down to nerves. In my experience this is always made worse moving to a bigger (often more expensive) model, but not normally made worse by dropping down to a smaller lighter one.

11/03/2013 22:33:12

I fly at the same club as BEB, in fact we are both on the committee. I remember when the 1kg rule came in, and the committee actually viewed it as a relief. As BEB said, in our situation the A-cert is basically a competence to fly alone in a public park where safety is paramount. It is actually a fantastic place to fly especially since we had the strip levelled and we want to keep it that way. Although some very sporty models are under 1kg (eg delta's) they are not the kind of model people tend to learn on. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between how a light (say 0.5kg) high wing foamy flies and anything of a weight of above 1kg, or better still above 2kg. There is not just the difference in response to wind, but the big difference some momentum makes. Also don't forget that scaling the aircraft larger or smaller does not scale the air it flies in, which again means that responce is different. Now the issue here is not whether flying lighter or heavier models is harder, it is that they are different. The other thing that is different is the damage done to an object or person on impact, and for us, and I would have thought most clubs, that is important. I have seen someone hit by a sub 1kg model (not at the club), I don't think I would want to see the results of someone hit by a 6kg model. If you are used to a heavier model, then it is less likely to end in tears, and if the difference of a lighter model catches you out then damage will be minimal. If you are only used to lighter models and the difference of a heavier model catches you out then the results could be more serious. I fly models from well below 1kg, to just under 7kg as variety is the spice of life....but boy are they different. I, like the rest of our club, viewed this rule as a valid safety measure.

Thread: Is HK killing off the LHS?
16/01/2013 23:46:32

I think I know the guy who owns the violin shop in the little town by the sea, and he is a bit of a character and a heck of a craftsman. As for HK vs LMS, like many people I use both because they both are good at different things. The vast majority of my models are from either my LMS or the shows. But when after flying on Saturday (was it too cold for you BEB?) I decided that I needed more batteries I ended up bying from HK. The reason.... their batteries (which have proved as good as any in the past) are a fraction of the cost. My LMS and the shows do good, trustworthy airframes, and in fact my LMS reduced the cost of my last airframe for me to get closer to the net prices, possibly because I was a recognised returning customer. However, although some ancillery items are good value in there, as has been pointed out already, many are big brand only with big brand prices. The three batteries I ordered came to the same price as one in the LMS, and that was including delivery. The daft thing is, many motors and batteries etc claiming to be big brands are just badge engineering. I have bought motors checking the dimensions, number of windings, resistance etc against "name" brands, then checked them when they arrived only to find I can't tell the difference other than a sticker or box......even down to a moulding mark. The price was very different though. If the local LMS did a bit of research it could do the same and offer good kit without a brand name and more of my stuff would come from there. A few quid is one thing, but a factor of three makes me reach for the mouse.

Thread: How Many of Us Are or Were Motorcyle Enthusiasts and Why?
14/05/2012 21:07:43

Had my first bike when I was still at school (parents didn't know). In the following 10 years had at least a dozen more. Favourite was a Suzuki GS850. Last bike was a grey import Suzuki GSX400R pocket rocket. It was the last one after hitting the door pillar of a car that crossed the road right in front of me and put me in the local hospital for a while and on the front cover of some "be a nurse and help people like this " type magazine! After that I promised the wife I would stick to cars and guitars............but then came the planes again just like when I was a kid.

Thread: The 2009 RCM&E & Modelflying.co.uk awards
12/12/2009 20:59:20
1.Best High St Retailer            Steve Webbs
2.Best Mail order                        Giant Cod
3.Best Distributor                        ???
4.Best Kit                                     Pulse 40 (although I haven't got one!!)
Thread: The November Grand Prize Draw
07/11/2008 23:18:00
My turn thanks
Thread: The September Grand Prize Draw
21/09/2008 22:56:00
pleeeeeaaase!!!!
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us