By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Applewood

Here is a list of all the postings Applewood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oleo pin adaptor
09/01/2020 18:34:09
Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:28:33:

Am fortunate over the years to have a reasonable workshop with tools, taps and dies etc

I epoxy normal builds but not steel and aluminium

I used grub screws, if only that you can change your mind and also replace parts.

I set the length, chopping the piano wire leg to size

then added two more threaded holes through the oleos/ spacers to locate on flats on the piano wire

in my case, I would buy 12mm spacers to turn down to 11mm

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:29:45

ok thanks Denis, unfortunately my workshop is a little light on the tooling front. HK do provide an Oleo with 6mm pin which is again out of stock, maybe I wait for that one.

09/01/2020 18:29:00
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 09/01/2020 18:19:01:

The ones I've seen have a solid plug in the end. If you have access to a lathe you could drill them 6mm for the pin and then cross drill and tap for 4mm grub screws to hold them on.

So do the HK ones have a solid 11mm plug rather than tube out to accept a 11mm pin? The HK pictures don't show either way. I assumed these where like the robart's which have a shaft in which the pin locates.

09/01/2020 18:12:02
Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/01/2020 18:01:38:

I did the same job on a PT19

Using spacers from ebay, just search this on eBay

12mm 13mm 14mm 15mm Diameter Spacer Collar Bush 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm 8mm Hole

Thanks Dennis, did you epoxy the spacer to the pin?

These are the oleo type I would prefer, **LINK** however they have 11mm pin

09/01/2020 17:54:59

I'm going to be cutting down a pair of 6mm dia piano wire torsion landing gear to attach oleos to absorb some of landing bounce. Ideally I would go for the trailing link type to give a more scale appearance.

HK have a number of oleos at a reasonable price, however most seem out of stock at the moment. Most accept a 11mm or a 12mm pin and don't appear to be supplied with bushing / adaptor to fit a smaller pin.

I've got a pair of Robart 650s for another project and they include the bushing for different dia pins, it's a shame HD don't.

Is there a standard / best practice to overcome attaching 6mm pin to 11/12mm oleo? I've had a seach for collets, bushes, collars etc, but nothing is jumping out. I don't have access to a lathe to make my own.

Thread: SLEC Chipmunk build blog
31/12/2019 14:46:43

Looks great Tim, well done. Maiden this week??

19/11/2019 23:19:57
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/11/2019 15:00:07:
Posted by Tim Flyer on 19/11/2019 14:46:44:

Cheers Applewood sorry I missed your post . I have a number of Laser engines and although ideally the spray bar is supposed to be at tank centre line , I have not had problems at all with centre line of intake at tank centre. The tall tanks (large tanks) can possibly lead to Syphoning on some planes but normally the fact that the undercarriage points the nose up stops ground siphoning . The other important matter is to properly tune the low speed needle setting. Many flyers leave their Laser engine low speed needle alone. It governs mixture up to around half throttle and does need occasional adjustment and should not be just left at factory setting. Jon at Laser is always happy to help with advice. A very rich low speed needle and tank a bit high can lead to cut out due to plug cooling.

I thought my ears were burning.

I tend to recommend the centre of the carb is no lower than the centre of the tank. Ideally the top of the tank should be in line as you then only have fuel below the carb and there is no change in head. A few mm higher is not normally a big problem though.

As Tim rightly says slow run adjustment is very important and often neglected. Dont be afraid of it, just lean off both needles as far as you can. Dont go 'a bit rich for safety', just lean it out. If the cooling is good enough and the tank position right then you will not have any problems. As a tuning guide, if it holds max rpm for 15 seconds then the tuning is fine. If it later stops its either overheated or gone lean due to fuel head changing. In this latter case, lower the fuel tank but leave the tuning alone.

Hi Jon and Tim,

so my tanks is 55mm tall and the centre of the carb is 18mm from the bottom of the tank. This makes the centre of the tank 10mm higher than the centre of the carb. Would you recommend getting the tank lower??

17/11/2019 19:09:50
Posted by Tim Flyer on 11/11/2019 12:31:32:

Hi Applewood good to hear you are also building one and thank you for your encouragement . I have now fitted the stringers on the fuselage and sheeted the engine bay which I will epoxy tonight . Next main job is fuselage sheeting. I am going to keep the wing as 2 piece as I think it will be strong enough like that . I do have a small gap in the underside edge when the wings are joined. I was thinking of possibly eliminating it via car filler covered with cling film when joining. That will make a flush fit.
Regarding my carb level the carb centre is a tiny bit below the middle of the tank when the plane is horizontal , but once it’s on the ground and angled by the undercarriage the spray bar will be above the top of the tank( so it won’t siphon) . I have never found the 180 , or other Laser engines over sensitive to tank position unless it’s much too high ( e.g bottom of tank in line with carb). If you have middle of carb in line with middle of tank when horizontal that will be fine. By the way I lowered the tank by lowering the bottom of former 2 as described above also moving it back slightly away from the air outlet slope on the firewall which would have lifted the front. My tank is a nice relatively compact Sullivan 16oz tank ( just 5 3/4 inches long)

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/11/2019 12:32:12

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/11/2019 12:37:24

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/11/2019 12:37:54

Thanks Tim, you build is coming on really well. Are you going for twin flap servos or single?

I’ve measured my setup, the carb centre line tank is 18mm above the bottom of the tank. It’s also a 16oz Sullivan tank. Is the siphoning issue only a problem when static, or in flight too. Do you think the tank is low enough?

cheers

11/11/2019 12:10:16

Hi Tim, I'm enjoying your build, great work.

I'm in the latter stages of the RAF trainer version, 2 piece wing (maybe 1 - jury's still out), & laser 150.

Are you levelling the centre line of the carb with the centre or bottom of the tank? Just trying to make sure I've got the right level tank.

Thread: Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.
10/11/2019 21:20:38
Posted by David P Williams on 22/07/2019 09:32:34:

Hi ASH - I think it has Hitec HS325HB in the wings and 5485HB on elevator and rudder. It's a Laser 150 up front - lovely. Only problem was getting the tank height right.

Hi David, I’ve read this in a couple of places about trouble getting the fuel tank height right for the laser 150 when inverted. Do you have any lessons you could pass on please? Mine is the raf trainer version, split wing, with laser 150 inverted. Just in the final stages before covering.

Also general question , does the 6mm landing gear wire hold up, or would it benefit from sprung oleos .

kind regards

steve

Thread: Slec apache super chipmunk
23/09/2018 17:32:02
If anyone could take a picture of that area of the plans, it would be really appreciated. Thanks
22/09/2018 22:19:17
Posted by Grahame Pearson on 22/09/2018 21:54:02:

Hi Steve,
I can't seem to be able to add a photo here. If you email me I can send to you.
Grahame
grahame dot pearson59 at btinternet dot com

Ok great, I’ve sent you an email. Thanks

22/09/2018 21:10:12

Hi, hoping someone can help. Does anyone have a photo of the single servo flap setup with torque rods. My plans have the flap servo in the wing, so I’m struggling to work it out. If someone could post Either picture of the wing made up or pic of the pans please. Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers steve

Thread: Spit 72" aileron servos
11/08/2018 16:03:44

Ok cheers guys, thanks for your help.

11/08/2018 13:10:56
Thanks all, Which 26 gram servo would you recommend? I've also been looking at the slim fit servos, used in gliders. Cheers
11/08/2018 00:26:03

I've acquired a tony nijhuis spit 72 electric. Lovely model however I'm unconcerned that the New Power XL-17hmb Servos in the ailerons look a bit on the light side. They are 3.5kg torque mini size. Would appreciate any advice on if they are up to the job before I take it up. I know some of the glider guys have to go down the slim fit servos route because of the wing build dimensions. But this spit is quite heavy and plenty of room. It's a shame to go to standard size servos because I'll have to cut a larger servo hole and build and paint a new servos cover to match. Let me know if you have any advice, my gut feeling is to bite the bullet and go bigger.

Thread: 72 Mk5 Supermarine Spitfire COG
04/04/2018 22:30:05

Hi hopefully a quick question to someone with the original plans. If you have them to hand, could you let me know the cog, measured from the wing root please. Also any details on suggested control surface movement if they are provided. Thanks in advance.

Edited By Applewood on 04/04/2018 22:36:35

Thread: Matching ESC to motor & prop
23/03/2018 15:56:41

Thanks Dick, Its a Tony Nijhuis 72inch mk5 Spit. weighing in at 4760g. Appreciate your advice.

23/03/2018 14:59:00

I've acquired a model and hoping to build 8S setup. Its got an AXI 5330/18 motor, and I've selected via ecalc the 18/10 prop. giving 12.5C, 8.1min flight, 1578W, 70DEG, 1.4:1 RATIO, 110 km/h. Looking at the motor results its says current 43.9A optimum and motor @ maximum 56A.

If I allow 20% headroom 1.2x56 = 67. So would a minimum 70a ESC be ok?

I'm looking at 8S HV ESC and they are very expensive in comparison to no HV. Looking to do this on budget.

Also if the battery load is only 12.5C , will that mean I don't need a really high C lipo??

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thread: External fixing of exhaust canister
12/02/2018 13:44:17

Ok thanks guys. 50mm p clip and m4 mail - mail rubber bobbin ordered.

12/02/2018 10:03:41

Hi Denis, it's a 50mm dia canister. Would you screw the P clip retainer direct into the fuse or with cushioning too?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us