By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Daithi O Buitigh

Here is a list of all the postings Daithi O Buitigh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: face masks/respirators recommendations
03/12/2018 18:20:01

There's a very good one here for just over a tenner. It's a full face mask, with eye protection.

Oh and they also have replacement filters.

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 03/12/2018 18:21:53

Thread: Ebay sellers...
25/11/2018 23:36:19

Judging by the state of the spinner and prop, he was probably using it as a rotavator

Thread: Ionic wind power
22/11/2018 09:56:43
Posted by Don Fry on 22/11/2018 09:43:17:

Yea, saw it this morning. Wonderful, wacky, might evanhave some legs.

BTW, I hope you were on your hind legs shouting last weekend.

Actually at the final whistle I was biting my nails - the ABs were very close to equalising

22/11/2018 09:35:54

Interesting development here.

Anybody know where to get a 20,000 volt LiPo?

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
20/11/2018 13:41:48

Part I is also available here, which has a lot more detail of the inner framework.

Interesting to see that the fin was offset by 3.5 degrees to port, presumably to conteract torque.

Martyn - no three views but a good collection of photos (including the export variants) here

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 20/11/2018 13:52:44

Thread: What is going on with Royal Mail ??????????
14/11/2018 02:19:38

What really bugs me is the surcharge on items coming through customs. I'm not talking about the 'standard' rip-off 'handling charge' but the larger one on 'express delivery'.

The problem is that parcels that are supposed to be 'next day' never are (I live in Belfast and anything coming via Heathrow always comes 'standard' but they still slap that extra surcharge on

Thread: The Pitts Cafe
11/11/2018 14:07:48

How's this for the lattest in quadcopters?

I wonder if you need a motor-bike license or an aircraft license?

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
01/11/2018 17:07:48

Don't overlook the fact that the photos are of 'restored' aircraft and there are discrepancies. Look at any photo from the '30s and at the current example - where did the tailwheel come from? The originals had a skid. It's like the restored 'Blenheim' - that's a Mk IV Canadian Bolingbroke with a Mk I nose. The Ju53/rm was originally a 3Mw (floatplane) and the only original bit is one wing. The Shuttleworth 'Pup' is actually a 'Dove' (with one cockpit faired over). The list goes on, so I wouldn't be too fussed as to 'accuracy' - even the full size ones aren't accurate. wink

Thread: What setting for charging NiMH batteries
29/10/2018 20:09:24

I use one of these for circular, single-cell 'torch' type batteries - it auto-senses the type of cell (NiCad, NiMH, Li-ion, LiFePO) and charges at the appropriate rate with auto-shutdown when fully charged

Thread: The Pitts Cafe
26/10/2018 10:47:40

I got my (Make)RCM&E (Great Again) hat winklaughcheeky

Thread: Single Channel Radio Control - RH Warring
20/10/2018 08:15:51
Posted by brokenenglish on 20/10/2018 08:11:35:
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 20/10/2018 01:07:37:

It operated on CW (Continuous Wave) -

"Carrier Wave" ?

Nope - 'continuous' (see wiki )

20/10/2018 01:07:37

Back then Steve, most resistors were 20% - using 10% was 'up-market'. In actual fact, using 5% tolerance could actually make stuff fail to work properly - strange but true, especially in oscillator circuits angel

I remember my first transmitter - home brewed 'Oxo' tin case with a centre loaded whip aerial (the coil was wound on a length of brush handle). I've a strange feeling (but could be wrong) that it was an RCM&E design back in the mid 60s. I had it checked out by the local IBA technicians on the Black Mountain transmitter (well they had all the gear). It just cost me a load of old Wireless World mags from the 1940s that I'd found (and they wanted for their library)

It operated on CW (Continuous Wave) - no fancy AM or FM on 27 MHz back then. There wasn't a 'spot' frequency - most receivers were super regen (no crystals) and not superhet (lighter and more compact)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 20/10/2018 01:09:52

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
19/10/2018 22:26:31

Actually John it's not that uncommon. I used to clean the tip of an iron by flicking my fingertip over it (it was just a learned knack).

Anyone who has used soldering irons on a daily basis can do that - the trick is in knowing HOW to do it

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
17/10/2018 18:54:07

Regarding the 'trail going cold' - this is down to the Royal Snail who won't track anything until it's been delivered. The originating carrier can't update their data because the Royal Snail simply won't tell them anything.

As for non-delivery, I had an item at one time (before the change in tracking) which showed it arrived at the West Belfast sorting office - 4 weeks later it STILL hadn't arrived so I got a replacement - the day after that arrived, the original one also arrived. I did notify the seller offering to pay for the second item but they just replied that, because I'd been put to so much trouble, to forget it.

Thread: Jimmy Stewart Bomber Pilot
16/10/2018 18:35:27

Not overlooking Flight Lieutenant Jimmy Edwards DFC and Lt Col David Niven (and his batman - Peter Ustinov)

Anyone else remember  'Whack-Oh' where he was buzzed by c/l combat models?

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 16/10/2018 18:36:48

16/10/2018 17:16:58

Don't forget Keith Laumer (the science fiction writer). He also wrote a book on model aircraft and had a lot of plans published in various magazines (including 'Yard Bird' published in the 1960-1961 Aeromodeller Annual)

Thread: LiPo dimensions
16/10/2018 17:11:18

BEB, I doubt if HK assemble the batteries themselves.

It's probably what we in the electronics trade referred to as 'badge engineering' where a seller asks for tenders to supply an item and simply has their own label stuck on it. The HK ones were probably from two different manufacturers.

This has been going on for many years - an uncle of mine was, at one time, the chief salesman for Exide and he told me that (and this was back in the 1960s) that Exide didn't make any 'dry' batteries - just accumulators. Ever-Ready only made 'dry cells and produced batches - one with 'Exide' labels and the next with 'Ever Ready' ones. Exide did the same thing with the accumulators.

Thread: Jimmy Stewart Bomber Pilot
16/10/2018 16:52:44

Besides Stewart, Clark Gable was an air gunnery instructor who was eventually sent back to the States from England as he kept sneaking rides on operations (and manning a B 17 gun position).

Stewart ended up as a Bridier General in the USAF - Air Commodore to us lot). His WW2 flying jacket is on display in the USAF museum.

jacket.jpg

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 16/10/2018 16:58:19

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
15/10/2018 22:44:15

I honestly don't know Caveman - it may need packing round the shroud. Although there is no stock available for the 50 mm, they will take advance orders and expect to ship on the 26th

15/10/2018 22:32:07

You could try this one - 650 gm thrust on 3S (850 gm 0n 4S), but while it's a 50 mm fan, the whole shebang is 60 mm (including the shroud)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us