By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Bott - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Bott - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky X6R EU LBT 6/16CH Receiver
31/10/2018 18:25:09
I'm afraid I don't agree about going for a different Rx because this one has appeared difficult to set up.

Bound using the telemetry setting, not touching the jumper and leaving the default telemetry sheetings will see any more of these set up very quickly.

That will be the same with an X4R, X8R or any of the RXR types.
30/10/2018 19:46:26
I can make a stab at a guess.

The actual chip inside is likely to only be able to measure up to a max of 3.3v so there has to be a voltage divider if you want to measure a higher voltage. This is usually just a couple of resistors. I seem to remember the Rx internal dividers have a 4:1 ratio. So when you connect 8v to the divider, 2v is applied to the chip.

So, at the display end, whatever the chip is measuring, you want that multiplying by 4 to take account of the divider.

That would explain a setting of 4 in the FrSky firmware.

(In OpenTx the same thing is expressed as the max voltage that can now be measured with the divider in place. With a 4:1 divider this is 3.3x4 which is 13.2
30/10/2018 19:26:21
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the FrSky Tx software to answer that one. Sorry.

In OpenTx the default is to have Rx volts showing, and the right ratio is already set to 13.2 to give the right reading.
30/10/2018 18:44:57
It should do as the centre pin is the telemetry input and one end pin is the Rx voltage.
30/10/2018 18:21:18
Sonny sorry I've missed all this. It sounds like you're very nearly there though.

Now you have RSSI showing, you have it bound with telemetry.

To get the Rx battery volts, the jumper needs to be in and connecting between the centre pin and the Rx voltage end. (i.e.
Leaving the GND pin disconnected).
Thread: horus x10
22/10/2018 20:02:38
Sonny that's a very good question. I don't think that FrSky have ever said.

Both types of aerial give plenty of range. Often it's easier to mount the thin wire one, maybe inside a thin plastic tube. Sometimes it's convenient to stick the PCB type to something with double sided tape.

Far more important is where they're mounted. The actual aerial is just the part at the end. This should be mounted away from anything else metal (including any other wires). The two aerials should be mounted as far apart from each other as you can and they should be oriented at 90deg to each other.
21/10/2018 20:57:51
Oh I think it probably is better VFM. Most of my Rxs are X8R.

One other thing though, I'm not sure if it's the case now or not, but when I bought my X6Rs they came with two pairs of aerials. Paddle versions were fitted and there were wire versions in the pack as an alternative.
Thread: Ashbourne Scale Day
21/10/2018 17:33:31

Many thanks to everyone at Ashbourne for the usual very warm welcome.

A great site and more excellent scale models than you can shake a stick at.
It was a treat to meet that nice Mr Sleath.

The highlight for me was the amazing things Chef can do with some oatcakes. Made my day that, John laugh

img_20181021_105840.jpg

img_20181021_114737.jpg

img_20181021_122822__01.jpg

img_20181021_105854.jpg

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/10/2018 17:38:05

Thread: horus x10
21/10/2018 17:27:28

Yes indeed you can Ron, as indeed you can get amps, mAh, altitude, vario GPS and many others if you have those sensors.

The point I was making is that there is direct access on the X6R to measure a voltage, where there isn't on the X8R. OK the connection is in a very awkward place (right in the middle on the bottom of the Rx. But it is there if you want it.

Sonny yes I agree, the cost of Rxs and telemetry sensors is a big factor in the overall cost of converting to a new system. I get the impression that many users of other brands miss this point.

21/10/2018 16:33:24
The X6R can be a boon when space is tight. It also has the bonus over the X8R of having access to a voltage measuring telemetry input.

So as long as you use an appropriate voltage divider, you have the option to monitor say LiPo volts instead of Rx volts, if you wish.
Thread: RC Test Equipment
20/10/2018 16:04:11
Dave rather than an old Avo, why not look for a modern multimeter? (Somehow I think you'll already have one).

A very quick look on Amazon and there's loads at all sorts of prices. ?25 should get you a true RMS meter that also measures the usual plus component values, temperature and frequency up to say 60Mhz.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 20/10/2018 16:04:31

Thread: 35 mhz and ppm output
20/10/2018 09:06:19
CP I would never use this setup with FrSky gear, there are far better options as you suggest. I buy these units to decode S.Bus and only put this together for your benefit.

To answer your question - no, I don't have any 35Mhz gear. But there's no difference in the servo signals.

What I can't test is that the PPM output will suit the instructor Tx that you intend to use. My Horus was set to expect a JR or Spektrum type buddy signal.
Thread: Electric Cars.
19/10/2018 20:16:31
What percentage of a day or year do you actually use your car? And how often is it not the right car for the job?
Why do we even own cars and pay such a high premium to have it sitting idle some of the time?

Once there are self driving cars we could simply call up a suitable fully charged vehicle for the job at hand, let it drop us back at home at the end of the sortie and then find it's way back to a central parking/charging facility.

We'd "pay as you go". If a journey was particularly long we might even leave a discharged car at a service station and switch to a fully charged one to continue.
19/10/2018 13:27:03
One of the biggest issues with generating and supplying electricity is that it is difficult to store, so generating capacity has to match max demand.

Once enough of us have electric cars it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to use all "plugged in" cars as an enormous national storage bank.

Given the right incentive each of us could chose to allow a percentage of our batteries to be discharged into the grid at times of peak demand.

For example, my wife drives 5 miles to work and 5 miles home. She could plug in a car at home overnight and the charge could help feed the peak tea time demand before trickle charging overnight. Or she could plug it in at work and top up from excess solar or wind capacity.

With enough cars, this would reduce the required generation capacity to a point where it needs to match the average demand rather than the peak.
Thread: Opentx 2.2.2 flashing problems
18/10/2018 21:23:39
T9 Do have a reputation for being very helpful.
18/10/2018 18:13:55
It sounds like it's time for someone else to have a go Trebor. Maybe with a different computer?

Where abous are you?

PS I do keep seeing mention of different USB cables or different PC USB ports working or not working on Horus, even if they do work with a Taranis.
I wonder if we could get you to someone near you who does have a known working PC and cable?

Of course it could be a USB fault on your Tx.
Thread: 35 mhz and ppm output
18/10/2018 12:48:26

This is the widget I'm using. Whether it will work with other makes of radio - I'm not sure. (Click picture to go to Banggood. I believe Hobbyking carry them too)

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/10/2018 12:49:37

18/10/2018 12:44:37

Here is it is working with 8 channels buddied up from the left hand Tx to the right hand one.

The screens are showing servo positions of 8 channels. I've set the right hand Tx as an instructor Tx but as if the trainer switch is permanently held on. The left hand Tx is bound to the Rx you see.

img_20181018_105233.jpg

18/10/2018 08:23:11

This setup works. That is it does accept 6 servo (PWM) signals from a receiver and it makes a single PPM signal that my Horus X12 accepts as a trainer signal.

I'll post a link to this widget a little later.

img_20181018_081537.jpg

17/10/2018 22:58:35
Generally PWM tends to be used to describe the individual signal for each servo. The width of the pulse (in mS) signalling the required servo position.

While PPM is a shortening of CPPM and seems to be used to describe a signal that contains all the PWM pulses in sequence along with a frame period.

OK it can be argued about whether the definitions fit but that's not what the OP was about.

The item I linked to will take a number of servo channels from a receiver as it's input and I believe that it's output will be a single signal that will work exactly as a buddy signal does.

Whether it will work with the OPs chosen Tx types is unknown. But I think it would work fine as the input to JR or Spektrum transmitters.

I have another type that I could try. I'm not sure when I'll have time though.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Motion RC
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us