By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Bott - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Bott - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unexplained crash
18/06/2018 22:45:46
Sounds extremely plausible, Alex.
18/06/2018 21:23:58
Oh I meant to ask in my previous post. If failsafe isn't set, what happens when Tx is switched off? Do the ailerons go full left, by any chance?
18/06/2018 19:31:14
Alex how many others fly on 35MHz at your club? Do you successfully fly other 35MHz models?

It sounds to me like there's a chance you have an interfering signal at that point where the glitches happened.
Maybe be a microwave link crossing the field or an electricity pylon with an arc running across an insulator?
Thread: Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?
16/06/2018 22:50:20

While I'm here, here's a typical telemetry screen from the OpenTx system, and yes I use telemetry a lot and find it very useful indeed, especially when a model is new.

Apart from voice call outs of various parameters like LiPo mAh used, battery volts, height etc it will alarm if signal strength is getting low, well before I lose control and likewise, warn if Rx battery is getting low.

If I really want to I can also look at graphs after a flight to see just what went on during the flight. For instance I can check how signal strength went for the whole sortie. This gives me much more confidence in the installation than a range check on the ground can. Or I can check all the individual LiPo cells to check that one wasn't dropping lower than others at any point during it's discharge.

img_20180616_222149.jpg

16/06/2018 22:30:43
Phil your climbing under power problem has nothing to do with telemetry.
If you start a new thread for that I'm sure you'll get more answers.

Can we stay on topic here, please?
Thread: Horus 10x or Taranis 9
12/06/2018 18:29:44
I have a Taranis and added an X12 as soon as they were available.
I'd say that the advantage of big colour screen and scroll wheel of the Horus shouldnt be underestimated.

I always found the buttons and screen of the Taranis added that extra bit of difficulty which meant I always preferred programming opentx on the PC and then transferring to the Tx.

I find Horus a completely different proposition. I hardly ever use companion (on the PC) any more. I find the amount of info on the big screen, added to the scroll wheel operation means that my preference is to do it all on the Tx.
Shortcuts to channel monitor and being able to test changes with the actual TX controls all work together very nicely indeed.
Thread: taranis range
11/06/2018 16:48:52
Adding to the 90deg theory, I also do my best to position the two aerials as far apart as possible.
My reasoning being that however they are oriented, if they are both in the same place they will both suffer at the same time if blanking occurs when something big and metal gets between them and the Tx.

That could be e.g. an engine, motor or large battery.

It is possible to buy replacement aerials with longer cables for just this purpose.
Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
11/06/2018 16:27:01

Here are the photos from Cosford yesterday

Shooting against the sun - I did my best.

img_8922.jpg

img_8923.jpg

img_8925.jpg

Thread: Printing whole threads off the forum.
06/06/2018 16:58:06
Wow I like that trick. I've never heard of it either.

Nice variation too, paste into A3 then scale when printing.
06/06/2018 14:39:43
TWS I went to landscape because for me, only the left hand half of every photo fitted on the page while I was trying to paste to a portrait page.

Did "decrease font size" also bring all the pics down in size to fit?
06/06/2018 11:53:27

I've found that it is possible to cut and paste just the forum posts. You just have to be very careful what you highlight before cutting.

I found a combination of Chrome browser for cutting and Word for pasting best, but with Word set up in landscape mode.

From there you can edit the text, take out unnecessary spaces, even remove whole posts. Just generally tidy up.

The trouble is that leaves it very large on the page and taking up lots of pages in word.
From there I have printed the word doc to pdf, scaling it to A5 as it went. That at least reduces the size.
Maybe it could be printed double sided and maybe with 2 of the A5s per A4 page?

Does anyone know how to shrink everything in a word doc in one hit?

Chris

05/06/2018 21:07:37

Ian

I think I've found a way but it needs some experimenting.

If you'd be up for checking the output and possibly some re-formatting then we can have a go.

PM me your email address and I'll send you page 1 for a look see.

Cheers
Chris

Thread: Setting up a remote webcam at the clubs fields
03/06/2018 09:50:05
Here's a possibility.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/WebcamHosting.html
02/06/2018 20:47:25
If you have time to experiment, have a look at manything.com

They have a single camera (or mobile phone) free account option. That's worth a look.

(Sorry it's so long since I used it that I don't remember the pros and cons any more)
Thread: How to wire up a flying wing
31/05/2018 20:12:01
Hi Edward and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid the answer is a simple no they won't work together. You need either a brush less motor to go with your ESC or a "brushed" ESC to go with your motor.
Thread: bullet connectors
31/05/2018 15:04:05
I think the issue is that there are bare negative connections around. Unused receiver ports for one.
If an uninsulated male is inadvertently allowed to drop into the model, there is the potential of it touching the Rx pins.
I've not had the issue myself, but I see the potential.
I use a short length of the white outer insulation off some 3 core 5A flex for my protective covers.
Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
31/05/2018 14:36:35
Martyn it's hard to put a pass/fail figure, and distance, on this because it's only a very specific direction that you're testing from and the model is inevitably near the ground.
Having said that, if you get to 30 paces and RSL is still reading above say 45, then you should be OK.
Ideally you want to test from all possible directions of the full sphere around the model.
The only practical way is really to do the initial range test and maybe walk 360 Deg around the model.
Then fly the model having made sure RSL is being logged.
Afterwards look at a graph of the log and see how it did for the whole flight.
One other test I like to do for each receiver, is to see how low the RSSI reading goes before I lose control. Not all receivers are the same, it might be better to use this figure to decide whether your 30 pace reading is acceptable or not.
(Of course the loss of control test might be difficult if you lose telemetry before you lose control, but you see what I'm getting at?)
Thread: bullet connectors
30/05/2018 23:16:04
What Geoff said.
Thread: DH84 Dragon
29/05/2018 13:45:45
Ooh isn't that nice!
Thread: QX7
29/05/2018 09:44:56
That's really interesting Mike. (Except I don't have a QX7)

Am I right thinking that all the above applies to ErSky9x only (and therefore not OpenTx)?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues