By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Bott - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Bott - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Depth placement
14/01/2019 22:14:30

There was another thread on depth perception. Here

Thread: Hawker Fury Mk1 Replica, K1930 (OO-HFU)
13/01/2019 15:14:50

Printed tissue over metalised mylar gives a nice sheen and light doesn't show through from behind.

BTW the Fury is looking great, Andy. thumbs up

Thread: Receiver Backup Power
13/01/2019 12:57:40
Posted by Martin Harris on 13/01/2019 12:02:46:

I'm a little curious Chris - the PCB looks professionally produced - is there an economical way of getting your own design PCBs produced or is it a modified board from elsewhere?

Martin I use a web based PCB design site called **LINK**

Once a design is finished it can be passed from there to their "partner service" called jlpcb who will make 10 PCBs for you for $2 plus postage. (about another $4 or $5). It takes a couple of weeks for them to come but the quality is superb.

That's double sided, plated through and screen printed too.

You could also send jlpcb your own design files if you have them.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/01/2019 13:01:19

13/01/2019 11:06:02

Here's my home made version. 2 Shottky diodes sit in the red heatshrinked package. I added an LED for each supply, a decent connector for each (XT30) and good fat PCB tracks that feed the servos direct.

img_20190113_105901__01.jpg

13/01/2019 08:54:05

Maybe the Optipower Ultraguard ?- **LINK**

Thread: X9D+ Double Trouble
12/01/2019 23:47:34
Sounds very frustrating, you're very close.

If I get a minute tomorrow I'll plug my Tarsnis into the PC, run zadig and check exactly which driver is installed that works and just what drives, if any, I see.

I'll report back.
Unless anyone else can post better info in the meantime.
Thread: Depth placement
12/01/2019 23:40:34
A good while ago we tested depth perception at our club by sending folk out with a 2 way radio so they could shout up when a model was beyond an arbitrary boundary that we'd picked.
Many pilots were so convinced that they were well inside the boundary when the spotters said they were outside, that arguments broke out. Pilots would not have it.
The conclusion was that our depth perception at distance, more often than not, is terrible.
Thread: X9D+ Double Trouble
12/01/2019 22:36:48
Hi Ady, sorry just saw this again.

The other thing to suggest, then, is that there have been many reports of FrsKy USB ports being very fussy about USB voltages. So much so that trying every USB socket on the PC may help, and/or having to try two or three different cables.
12/01/2019 16:41:11
From memory, Ady, you can write the firmware to the TX by connecting the USB cable while the TX is switched off.

With Tx still switched off you just write the firmware to Tx using companion.

Remember that you MUST have selected the correct model of Taranis, in companion settings, BEFORE downloading the firmware from the net. That's the only way to get the right version for your Tx.

I seem to remember that the hardest bit is getting the USB drivers to work so the PC sees the Tx.

Ask here if you're having trouble at that point.
Thread: kyosho agwagon
07/01/2019 19:37:36
Sorry about my clumsy attempt to combine two threads, Nigel.

But I'm sure folk will find it easier to discuss this in one place.
Thread: Ferrite coils.
06/01/2019 22:27:52

Michael, have a look at this article

06/01/2019 22:24:38
Thread: New Tv. It's Good But...........
02/01/2019 21:29:00
It sounds like a reliable engineer with local knowledge is your best bet, then.

Meanwhile, enjoy the HD.
02/01/2019 21:16:06
If the HD channels are working OK then sticking to those is the simplest answer.

If there's a SD channel that you really want to fix then it needs looking into further.

This could be that your new TV is just slightly less sensitive than the old one. Or it's more prone to interference from a 4g mobile phone mast. If the latter, then there are filters available to remove the interference.

Do you know which TV transmitter you receive from? We might be able to learn something if we know the affected frequency.
02/01/2019 21:05:22
Digital TV channels are transmitted in groups of TV channels, called "Multiplexes" or "Muxes". Each MUX is on a different RF frequency.

The HD channels are on one mux, SD BBC channels on another MUX and SD ITV/Ch4/Ch5 and others on another MUX.

It sounds like you're having problems with just one MUX.

Somewhere in the menu system there's usually an indication of both signal strength and signal quality. Probably in the manual tuning section.

See what you see there while tuned to a bad channel and compare results to a good channel.
Thread: Dave Burton (BEB)
31/12/2018 19:16:38
This is really sad news indeed.

I spoke to BEB about this quite recently and he was completely at peace with his situation.
In fact, he was rather chuffed with how much he'd cost the NHS after contibuting for so long.
Always cheerful and always very positive about his condition. He was quite the inspiration.

Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.
Thread: Gatwick drone incident
20/12/2018 17:43:59
Folks this thread has great potential to head in the wrong direction. Please can we stay within the spirit of this forum.

According to the forum code of conduct I should have deleted a post above without warning.
For now, I've just altered the bad language.

Please make yourselves familiar with the CoC. I may not feel so lenient next time.
Thread: Power Safe for any receiver
15/12/2018 23:47:54
That's just what this is doing too, Geoff.
Power from the diodes goes direct to the servo sockets rather than via the Rx.
15/12/2018 21:36:55

I still haven't flown with one of these, but that's only because I haven't been flying for months.

I am part way through putting together an ARTF that I think would benefit.
Having decided that two separate supplies would suit this model, I've developed the idea a little and added a dual 10A diode and an LED indicator for each supply.

I'll probably use a UBEC one side and a LiFe battery the other. I might cover all the exposed parts with hot gun glue or Sugru. The board can be screwed down in the model with the Rx mounted on velcro or ty-wrapped down. I've only just realised that I could even remove the Rx from the model and still leave all the servo wiring intact.

img_20181215_203343__01.jpg

Thread: Voltage sensor
10/12/2018 22:11:26
Multiple posts all tidied up now Ron.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Overlander
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us