By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RottenRow

Here is a list of all the postings RottenRow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA Website down...?
27/09/2018 08:07:54

Working here too, looks like you've done it Andy. Thanks.

Brian W.

20/09/2018 22:43:27

The site doesn't work for me either. I get the message below:

This page can’t be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://bmfa.org again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator.

The TLS stuff is already turned on. PC is using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11.0.85 if that's of any use. There is no little padlock (usually to the right of the address bar) and to the left of the address in the bar there is a three-sided red and grey symbol...I thought the BMFA symbol usually appeared there though I may be wrong.

My iPhone (on WiFi) initially also failed to connect, giving a message about Safari being unable to get a secure connection, then suddenly it connected and has remained working for 10 minutes now.

Perhaps the above messages might provide some clue?

Brian W.

Thread: DB Sport And Scale - Cirrus Moth
11/11/2012 23:26:33

Martin,

What you have is the older version, made before the laser cut tailplane was supplied with the kit.

I had one for many years and still have the plans and the typed building instructions. Mine flew on the old type OS40 four stroke (pre-Surpass) which was adequate; that was later replaced by an FS40 Surpass which in my opinion was 'about right' for the model. A friend in my club has one built from the current version of the kit which is powered by a 52 four stroke. Almost too much power!

The plans don't give a lot of detail with regard to the ailerons, which are referred to as optional and were probably not a feature of the earliest models. The instructions state that if the ailerons are to be built, the lower wings are built first and the ailerons cut out afterwards. Ply plates are fitted for bellcranks to operate the ailerons from a single servo mounted in the centre section.

I can scan the relevant parts of the plan and the instructions and send them to you if you let me have your e-mail address.

Well done in saving the model!

Brian.

Thread: EDF Vampire T11
06/05/2012 15:22:52

Had a look at the DB version on their stand at Rougham yesterday, they had one that was half-built. Lots of laser cut parts, fuselage formers are much closer together than the model being discussed in this topic. It is built with pre-shaped packers under each former so that it can be built straight on the building board, the fuselage is planked with balsa strips about 3/8" wide. The wings are fairly conventional I think, with balsa skinning. The tail booms are built up much like the fuselage, formers and longerons then covered in balsa. The wings are permanently fixed to the fuselage but the tail booms (and tail assembly) can be removed by unbolting them from underneath the wings.

Should be available at the end of next month.

Brian.

04/05/2012 23:13:03

Hello Robin,

Thank you for the information regarding the retracts, they look a lot easier to use than mechanical or air units. Unfortunately HK are out of stock of the main units at the moment.

I am going to build the T11 variant and possibly the F5 short nose as well. I just need to draw out the T11 fuselage so that I can work out the former shapes etc. at the nose. On your model, is the fuselage as per plan from the cockpit back?

I see that DB Sport and Scale will soon be selling an EDF Vampire kit of similar size, apparently it needs a 90mm unit capable of 3kW to fly so I imagine it must be quite heavy. More information can be found here http://www.dbsportandscale.com/vampire.htm knowing their kits it will be of good quality.

Brian.

29/04/2012 10:14:31

Hi Robin,

I just came across your build blog whilst looking for something else...interesting as I am starting down a similar route using the same plan.

I previously built a couple of Tony Nijhuis' prop-driven Vampires, I modified them both but one in particular to resemble the T11 because I liked the shape of the fins. The colour scheme is as the one you are building. It shows up well against a blue sky.

I have since started on the EDF model from the same plan as you, though haven't begun the fuselage yet as I haven't worked out the redesign of the nose.

I am not going to use the foam construction method, rather I am going to cut the formers along the centre-line as you have done and build the fulage in two halves on the building board just like the old KeilKraft rubber powered kits. The fuselage will be planked in 1/8" balsa, then joined together rather like an easter egg.

Mine will be powered by a HET fan or something similar, I don't think power will be an issue as the construction will be quite light, although I shall incorporate the strengthening for the booms as you have. The original had to lift quite a few NiCads whereas modern LiPos will be lighter.

Which HK retracts did you buy?

I will continue to watch with interest.

Brian.

Thread: The June Grand Prize Draw
19/06/2008 13:26:00

Me too please!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us