By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gangster

Here is a list of all the postings gangster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lipo for trainer
08/11/2019 15:34:14

You need to be very careful playing around with cell count and prop size. You need a suitable meter to check the power and to ensure you do not exceed maximum motor current. You say it’s a 4 max motor. Suggest you give them a ring they are helpful

Thread: Wattmeter Quandry?
02/11/2019 08:49:35

Not sure about Deans only being good up to 3s. I have always assumed that The suitability of a connector was dependent on the current. Looking at your set up it is possible you could be over their limit. I only use deans but with 4S 50 amp max.

02/11/2019 07:49:50

Not sure I would want to run the motor at full chat for 20 seconds On the ground In the air the prop unloads. Also we have to be caref if anything that gives a digital display. Because we can get a display that reads out to a few places of decimals we have been accustomed to assume an accuracy that is not there and we don’t need anyway.

Thread: Junior 60 build advice
01/11/2019 06:48:23

Duplicate removed. 

Edited By gangster on 01/11/2019 06:49:29

01/11/2019 06:46:56

I have an electric Junior 60.

The tail is glued in place. I cannot remember the wing band size but am pretty sure they are 8 inch ice wide thick ones. The battery slides in from the front ie the battery box is built in under the motor and is open at the front . I use a strip of Velcro on the bottom of the battery box and separate the Velcro with. Strip of 1.5 mm ply. An electric prop does that job just as well. As for servos I have used ordinary Futaba 148 sized jobs there is nothing to be gained by saving the weight by going micro. Please don’t over power it it won’t go any faster but will make a lovely flyer into a pig. I cannot remember what power mine is but simply limited the throttle throw to 55%. AFTER calibrating the esc. You have chosen a lovely model to both build and fly. Enjoy

Thread: LIPO Battery Duration Query
29/10/2019 09:17:59

Unless you have a meter that will show power and current draw I would not advocate playing with cell count or prop size. Such a meter is dirt cheap and a must have for levy flyers who wish to experiment. If however you have room no problem increasing to 2800 or3300. What I did discover when I started flying electric was what the throttle stick was for and use it for economy. The knock on effect is that I use the throttle much more when flying if as well now

Thread: Clubs as Operators?
22/10/2019 16:35:34

The BMFA have worked hard on this. They probably have not been helped by those interfering, raising petitions etc. The last thing we need now is a bunch of bar room lawyers pulling stunts that prove to the authorities that we are not the responsible bunch of beings that we claim to be

Thread: Spektrum DX7
17/10/2019 12:56:28

As far as the lead polarity is concerned I guess it dates back to the JR convention as that is how they do it. My immediate reaction was there will be a protection diode so reverse connection would not matter. Having thought that though have they removed it as peak detection chargers may not work. As regards this polarity being against convention there was one major amateur radio manufacturer who used both in contemporary radios. With regards DSM2 I see no reason why it’s any less good than any other. I believe people are still thinking with an analogue head on. Ie one model one channel. Now think digital. Your phone line that could not even support mono music can now carry Hf video as well as a number of other internet activities at the same time Check out the Spektrum vids on you tube re mass flying with DSM2

Thread: Easy cheap build
16/10/2019 17:10:37

Erfolg. Easton Xx75 autumn gold. Also very useful for cutting holes in ribs for aileron/flap/etc leads and for lining wing bolt holes

Thread: Scratch built Wot 4
10/10/2019 18:04:52

9cffd21a-cc70-422f-bff4-f553ff1e156b.jpeg

10/10/2019 18:02:49

Yes KC. I just looked at my plan it does actually say that it’s a free copy. I don’t know what the deal with C Foss was on this or where yamps are now

Edited By gangster on 10/10/2019 18:10:28

10/10/2019 15:21:10

So my question on this is. Ignoring ARTf foamies giant and mini wot 4s how many versions of the proper ARTB kit wot 4 are there? I was given a wot 4 wing when I built mine and no way would it fit and am still wondering what to use it for. There was a company mentioned on here selling wot 4 plans and watt 4 plans which clearly were not real foswots but looked a blatant clone. Just wondering how close they ate

Edited By gangster on 10/10/2019 15:22:43

10/10/2019 15:15:36

Plummet. Yes you are about right. I believe that when the wot 4 was originally produced it was a plan pack. Foam wings a plan and a few other bits. Most of the balsa you sourced yourself. A bit later they made a full kit. This was slightly different from the old mark 1. Different wing chord and section. A few years ago a company called Yesterday’s aeromodeller plans service were selling a plan for the MK1. It could even be a reproduction of the original plan. They also included a plan for a built up wing as all the kit wot 4s were foam . Realising that 40 years in from the original and in over 40 years modelling I had never owned a wot 4. I built one from this plan. It’s a lovely model to fly. Sadly I can find no trace of YAMPS now so assume they have packed up. The good news is that you can still get wing ribs for that plan from Igull

10/10/2019 15:13:40

Plummet. Yes you are about right. I believe that when the wot 4 was originally produced it was a plan pack. Foam wings a plan and a few other bits. Most of the balsa you sourced yourself. A bit later they made a full kit. This was slightly different from the old mark 1. Different wing chord and section. A few years ago a company called Yesterday’s aeromodeller plans service were selling a plan for the MK1. It could even be a reproduction of the original plan. They also included a plan for a built up wing as all the kit wot 4s were foam . Realising that 40 years in from the original and in over 40 years modelling I had never owned a wot 4. I built one from this plan. It’s a lovely model to fly. Sadly I can find no trace of YAMPS now so assume they have packed up. The good news is that you can still get wing ribs for that plan from Igull

Thread: Ailerons extending to wingtip
04/10/2019 21:48:53

Regardless of what the plan says I never take the aileron to the tip. From an early bad experience with flutter which was. Cured by stopping short and gluing an inch or two of trailing edge in place

Thread: Guess the fault
04/10/2019 09:57:35

Black lead or switch harness. Could also be a pin on a plug or socked retracting a bit. I still prefer the old Flair battery checkers that lock d to a bright flashing led it there had been a temporary issue such as high resistance or heavy servo. Wish you could still get them

Thread: Wing trailing edge
30/09/2019 15:51:57

Right you have it from the master. Now this is what you do. Think of a non existent aerodynamic problem and attribute The theory to a fictional German scientist Now make up an equally fictional aircraft that just did not make it into production as ww1 ended. Or.... someone may we’ll be on here before the day is out with details of a real plane with a wobbly te

30/09/2019 14:28:36

Bill You are going to get all sorts of answers on this one. My opinion is yes I know it should be straight but hey get out there and fly it. You will also get profound theory’s why it’s wrong from a range of people from good modellers with a good knowledge of theory to those armchair theorists who always seem to be the ones who have trouble flying their models but believe they know why. My Gangster lite has warped in many ways still flys well but is getting a shade embarrassing to fly in day light. The trailing edge has gone wavy like yours in the space of the last 6 yesrs

Thread: indestructible slow flyer....
30/09/2019 11:04:44

Paul the news is good. The world has moved on from the days of the overweight hard to fly high wing trainers that were only trainers cos if you could fly them you could fly anything. We now have lighter stronger foam models. We also have 3 axis stabilisers and “safe”.

Someone mentioned the Easystar. Great to fly far more responsive if you want it to be than the old wooden trainers. Check it out on you tube. There is a video there of two guys. Had dozens of crashes and it still lived. Any one of those would have done serious damage to a wooden plane. Someone mentioned a Junior 60. Lovely fun and easy to fly and I reckon a better start than a load of setbacks. No it’s not counter productive, unless you wish to run before you can walk ok some might say it’s like a glider but you are still developing your flying. Just don’t over power it. A junior 60 will fly in pretty strong winds and you will still be in charge of it Certainly it will fly in as strong a wind as you would want to learn in. Yes Paul the news is good

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
28/09/2019 14:30:05

No Foxfan not many others have model match. It is a great facility. On many other makes it possible to fly on the wrong memory. So if you forget to change the TX memory it is possible to try to fly model x on model y memory. Disastrous if the controls are reversed. On Spektrum that cannot happen nothing moves and then you realise why before you try to fly. It is possible however I believe to st up two receivers to one memory of you really want to. It sounds like you have a bargain I have the dx8of probably similar vintage. Looks and feels well made love it

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us