By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gangster

Here is a list of all the postings gangster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Junior 60 Cowl
07/07/2020 09:42:45

As promised I have bumped this up for the modeller who was asking about kits. This was built from the BB electric kit however I cannot see for the life of me the difference. I have used a 1/4 ply gas law bulkhead across the engine bearers. Tatty as you see but sound this model is for sale

Thread: Junior 60 Kitset
07/07/2020 09:38:09

I have the BB version. Lovely model. No need to worry if you cannot get the electric version the ic will suit electric as already stated. Have a search on this very forum I posted some pictures of mine a couple of weeks ago I will try to bump it up

Thread: Diesel anybody?
06/07/2020 08:29:25

Oh that smell of diesel must have the same effect on many modellers of a certain age. The chuck and duck at the nationals is made even more special with that aroma.Years ago my friend and I flew control line at work We mixed our own diesel. Funny stuff because yours truly had a brain flip and bought Castrol R instead of M. Stained everything yellow. Ether was no problem and we had a litre of the stuff. One spring nice day we decided to have a fly so mixed some fuel oil no problem ether no problem but we had no paraffin. We did find a five gallon can of white spirit. Yes it worked well but my AM15 was inclined to run in bursts. Makes control line flying very interesting. We stuck however with the white spirit mix with castrol r

Edited By gangster on 06/07/2020 08:30:06

Thread: Aurora 9x
01/07/2020 11:15:43

I can remember the days when Hitec was regarded as cheap Chinese I took a while for us to realise the quality of the stuff was as good or probably better than the mainstream Japanese stuff

Thread: Seagull Challenger - First kit Build - First IC
26/06/2020 10:19:40

Maybe another investment would be a SLEC fuselage jig They are not expensive. Removes any concern of a banana fuselage and keeps everything tight in place while the glue dries

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
25/06/2020 17:56:38

Surely the whole rule/ constitution/ A certified business is all part and parcel of the whole change we are lamenting in this thread. We would all love to wind the clock back 30 or 40 years.

Sadly we live in a much worse world which revolves round a blame/ compensation culture which is risk averse everything is someone else’s fault On top of this flying sites get harder to find as building encroaches and these houses are occupied by less tolerant people which we as a nation are becoming

organisations like the BMFA and club officer need to cover their backs This results in more and more rules and risk assessment covering risks so slight. Darwin was wrong nobody is stupid someone else must be to blame

This could be the final nail in this and other hobbies. Clubs will cease to exist as the “old farts “ who run them retire and no-one will be prepared to step up to the plate

Thread: Junior 60 Cowl
24/06/2020 15:47:29

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

24/06/2020 15:36:13

3728bd11-86bd-4f2a-bbaa-063d996bb721.jpegimage.jpg

Edited By gangster on 24/06/2020 15:38:46

24/06/2020 15:35:11

image.jpg

24/06/2020 15:34:02

image.jpgimage.jpg

24/06/2020 15:32:43

image.jpg

24/06/2020 15:21:26

Basically I have built an open battery box in the first half of the cabin and the batter slides in from the front under the cowl. The motor screws onto an upright 1/4 ply plate fitted between the bearers

24/06/2020 15:15:59

Ok SW I will send you some pictures of how I did the front of my J60. Just need to remember how to do it

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
24/06/2020 15:08:40

Most points raised here are probably valid reasons for the change. Something that had gone through my mind over recent years is lack of exposure to the hobby. How do people know it exists and how do they start? Up til about 20 or30 years ago every town however small appeared to have either a model shop or a sports and hobbies shop with a modelling section I can think of three smallish towns round here that had two.We shopped in the towns in those days. How many of us were hooked by looking in the shop window etc. So how does the “man or boy in the street get his introduction. How many of us started spending our pocket money on Kiel Kraft kits in the local sports shop hardware store bike shop etc etc.

Thread: Seagull Challenger - First kit Build - First IC
23/06/2020 16:20:57

RCME did a review of the kit a few years ago. It would be worth getting hold of it.

23/06/2020 16:13:43

Hi Gary. Good choice lovely model. Yes that kit is an enigma but good nonetheless. Flys well too. Mine is electric about 650 watts. I would not want any more power. The manual was written as if about Four pages are missing the start and end is almost too detailed but they forgot about the fuselage. Never mind there is a series of videos on you tube which are excellent. To be honest I would have needed to have built three models to make those vids. I did make a cock up and forgot a sheet inside( cannot rememver might have been the fus floor. Bit of surgery sorted that Anyway watch the vids it’s a Lovely model

Thread: Canopy/Hatch magnets
09/06/2020 04:40:40

Duplicate post erased. Is there anyway of completely deleting the post?

Edited By gangster on 09/06/2020 04:42:33

09/06/2020 04:40:03

I use magnets recovered from an old motor. These can however be “over strong “. I usually sink them into balsa so that they are glued on five surfaced. On a ply hatch I put a strip of 3mm balsa. Interesting comment earlier about not letting the surfaces touch I will try that. I need a crowbar to remover the hatch on my Zulu

Thread: Radio cases
09/06/2020 04:31:56

So I suppose I am the only one on here with a pink anodised aluminium case with a mirror in the lid. My DX8 has resided in there for 7 years. It was donated to me by my daughter. It originally contained hair brushes and other similar tools. It is very well made with reinforced corners and a good catch. Surprisingly I have received little ribbing about it My other two transmitters reside in proper tx cases bought second hand at the nats years ago.

Thread: Why sudden dramatic voltage drop in 700mAh 4.8v NiMh pack?
31/05/2020 08:57:30
Posted by Steve J on 31/05/2020 08:45:54:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 31/05/2020 08:03:30:

Remember for years the standard battery for all models was a 600 mah Nicd and we used to happily fly for hours on one of those.

I always take such claims with a pinch of salt.

no that is quite true With standard 40 and 60 size models Four servos my mate and Would often buy a gallon of fuel between us on a Friday and by Saturday teatime little was left and we had literally flown all day on a standard 500 nicad What we need to remember is that you cannot get a quart into a pint pot and the capacity figures quoted are dubious, not lies, but clever mathematics that don’t reflect what we do down the field The second thing is there is no such thing as a smart charger they can be pretty dumb in fact and detect false peaks There is no substitute for a long slow charge that allows all cells to come up to peak capacity

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!