By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gangster

Here is a list of all the postings gangster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vintage crystals
29/02/2020 08:53:58

Guys I am having a sort out long horded treasures, stalled projects and ancient old favorite models.

So before I throw a couple of irreplaceble items I will offer them free to modellers of a vintage persuasion

Pr Skyleader Red AM crystals

2 prs Skyleader FM crystals Red and red/brown

If the old memory serves me Its the tx crystal that varys between AM and FM to get sufficient deviation

2 Pairs Sanwa crystals These for the custom/ black custom and also I believe the funny green one Sanwa compatability was a mystery to me. I cannot help thinking it was a mystery to Sanwa as well.

Free to a good home who can use them keeping the old kit going PM if you want em

Thread: Modes 1 or 2
15/02/2020 14:30:54

Jeff don’t worry about taking the lid off this can of worms. I don’t think it has ever had a lid. I have just realised how old this thread is as well. It was surprisingly short for this particular subject

14/02/2020 09:05:44

This has been a hot debating point for decades. I was taught in mode 1 and it has worked for me for over 40 years although I am only one of two in the club.

if you are just starting out go with the teacher. Certainly whichever mode you use stick it. If you start with a rudder and no aeleron model put the rudder on the right stick ie keep your primary turn/bank control in the same place. Also go with stick to top of box to increase engine revs and stick to top to dive.

From what is available I would suggest mode 2 is the main one in this country. Virtually every new and second hand tx I have bought has been on mode 2 and I have had to convert, usually not a problem and try and find a cheap indoor helicopter in mode 1. I do fly my Lidl Jamara heli on mode 2 but that flies itself anyway

As for the hand launch issue we’ll after a particularly scruff launch I commenter to my mate “ it’s a problem on mode 1 I had to find me aelerons a bit quick” Hi answer which made me feel a prat was. “ well on mode 1 you ain’t got the Ele either”. Good point

Ss for the old chestnut about full size practice. Come off it what has that got to do with standing in a field holding a box

Edited By gangster on 14/02/2020 09:07:53

Thread: Low voltage lipo, how to charge.
06/02/2020 23:18:48

Try to gently bring the Lipo back up suggest switching the charger to nimh and charge a low current for a few minutes Then try to charge as normal

Thread: On a lighter note
02/02/2020 19:03:33

A great nostalgic thread for old modellers. Over the years, particularly in my younger days , I have driven a number of real dogs often with vital parts rusted away or clapped out But one car,albeit only a few years old and in perfect working condition stands out as the only car I have been scared to drive.
After an office equipment rep tested the crumple zone of my top of the range 2l Primera it had to go to the body shop for an insurance repair. A word of advice, don’t damage your car in the winter the repairers are too busy. Anyway I got their last loan car , a horrid little Citroen AX. The inner wheel arch is where the accelerator pedal should be and the others far to close to each other. The only way to drive that car, even for a little short guy like me was to ride side saddle on one cheek. Scary, had to have that thing for 5 weeks. Oh I would have loved an Astra in its place.

Thread: Traditional build that can use my 3S 2200 batteries
29/01/2020 20:18:38

Dawn Flyer

Thread: battery c rating
09/01/2020 09:07:54

The moral of the story is to measure the current if you change anyway especially the prop. Also we must realise that so much of this kit is cheap. Do not run it to the limit. Allow yourself 10% headroom when buying the kit including the battery’s. ie if you anticipate 40 amp current draw fit a 50 amp esc. The C rating of the battery’s are also the figment of the manufacturer’s imagination in some cases, we at least according to folklore

Thread: Futaba type transmitter charging plug
07/01/2020 11:50:50

Didn’t Futaba change the size somewhere down the line? More recent ones (last 10 yrs or so)

Thread: C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????
28/12/2019 17:54:44

So these police officers who are going to check every toy aeroplane in the country. Are they the same ones who have to deal with the 1000000 uninsured cars in the country? And the business of the sticker on the plane that isn’t just so Will that be the same police who have to deal with the thousands of illegally spaced number plates on cars. Are they the same police who were ordered to ignore illegal CB use even when we had so many more police officers than. We have today. As for carrying documents, yes a good idea but how many of us carry our driving documents or even did before tax insurance and mot info was available on computer systems. Let’s not get carried away and overthink this business. We ain’t that important.

28/12/2019 11:01:41

Yes ok Steve 3. I agree that not everyone is a member of the BMFA and likewise most BMFA members will not yet have had direct correspondence from the CAA. But still the correct info

28/12/2019 10:27:18

Surely the answer to the op is simple. From the definitive information given to us by the BMFA Not from all the bar stool lawyers naysayers and as stated song and dance performers on Facebook and internet forums

Thread: Appointment of club committee members
15/12/2019 12:40:52

Well if out of 35 members no one will put their hand up they deserve the club to fold. I am not sure why you have asked us on here what the roll of the club secretary is. Why not ask the committee and the outgoing secretary. In our club it is not a particularly onerous role.

Some clubs love to make a meal of the bureaucracy but I doubt that is the case. Maybe meeting minutes which can be brief as you like and the odd communication but now email etc has made that simple. If however the secretary also wears the hat of the membership secretary it’s a bigger role especially at this time of year. So many say they don’t have time. Rubbish I bet over half of the club is retired. If someone has time to build and fly

they have time to make an effort to keep the club alive. I am treasurer and membership secretary and I believe though that I could build and finish a standard sport model kit in the time I spend at the end of the year but that still leaves 10 months to build

Thread: Thanks BMFA
14/12/2019 14:05:28

John I insisted that everyone put their dob on the membership renewal form together with all the CAA requirements As for entering the dob I found it quicker to type it in rather than play around with the calendar thing we. Fortunately it does allow you to do that

Thread: Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite
14/12/2019 13:10:50

Gotta be worth a refurb. A very basic and simple model that will be easy to refurb. Believe me I have resurrected a few that have been well planted. As for £100 for a kit seems reasonable to me for a vintage popular kit and bear in mind that you would have paid more than that in real terms back in the day. However did we afford this hobby back then£

Thread: Thanks BMFA
14/12/2019 12:09:36

Although I have already mentioned it on another thread I feel this is worthy of its own I believe heartfelt thanks are due to theBMFA for the phenomenal amount of work they have done for us on the CAA registration. They must have achieved the very best outcome they could get for us under the circumstances. On top of that the club portal is a dream to use for club admin people and I was able to update every bodies records quickly we are an ancient bunch in our club but not all of us were born on 1/1/1901 Well done all I guess you have a very busy week or so before you so wish you all a great Christmas and a well earned rest

Thread: BMFA
14/12/2019 08:33:04

Absolutely John. The mind boggles at the incredibly busy year they must have had due to the CAA business. They. Have done incredibly well sorting this on top of the day job. We can only imagine how many calls they must be getting at renewal time now. It is a complex item just completed in time for renewal although so many of their queries would have been answer by looking at the web site or reading the BMFA news. We would have used 20 pages on this forum whining if they had put a fiver on the subs to pay extra staff.All credit to them all. Thanks BMFA

Edited By gangster on 14/12/2019 08:34:18

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
11/12/2019 17:36:16

I renewed BMFA and CAA registered the first tranche of club members yesterday. All credit to the BMFA the system worked so smoothly.

Thread: what type of battery pack for i/c engine trainer
05/12/2019 10:45:20

Whilst We have moved on to checkers it is probably still pertinent to the op. It is essential for most cell chemistry’s to measure the voltage on load. The plug in checkers have or should have a built in load. We have become used to lipos where the voltage acts as a fairly accurate fuel gauge This is certainly not the case with NiMh or nicad or dry cells. I cringe when I see someone look at the on board checker and declare oh its 60% that will be fine for another flight. Perhaps the comment that we are better off without them has some validity’s

05/12/2019 09:50:49

I wish you could get the old Flair on board battery checkers. They latch a high intensity flashing light if they see even a short volt I still have two would love to have more

05/12/2019 09:46:42

I have never seen a failure due to using 4.8 volt battery which is usually what the makers call for. I have however seen problems including crashes due to the use of 6 volts. Some earlier Futaba servos and many JR don’t like it. I take the point re Spektrum but believe it was due to some earlier DSM2 receivers taking too long to recover from volt drops. Probably due to poor installation lossy switch harnesses black lead etc Running on an extra cell is only papering over the cracks (unless there is a high servo count or power hungry servos). I bench tested the “brown out” phenomina” on a number of DSMX receivers and found no issue. Instant recovery this included an Orange dsm2 which was also fine unfortunately the reputation has lived to this day

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!