By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gangster

Here is a list of all the postings gangster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scratch built Wot 4
10/10/2019 18:04:52

9cffd21a-cc70-422f-bff4-f553ff1e156b.jpeg

10/10/2019 18:02:49

Yes KC. I just looked at my plan it does actually say that it’s a free copy. I don’t know what the deal with C Foss was on this or where yamps are now

Edited By gangster on 10/10/2019 18:10:28

10/10/2019 15:21:10

So my question on this is. Ignoring ARTf foamies giant and mini wot 4s how many versions of the proper ARTB kit wot 4 are there? I was given a wot 4 wing when I built mine and no way would it fit and am still wondering what to use it for. There was a company mentioned on here selling wot 4 plans and watt 4 plans which clearly were not real foswots but looked a blatant clone. Just wondering how close they ate

Edited By gangster on 10/10/2019 15:22:43

10/10/2019 15:15:36

Plummet. Yes you are about right. I believe that when the wot 4 was originally produced it was a plan pack. Foam wings a plan and a few other bits. Most of the balsa you sourced yourself. A bit later they made a full kit. This was slightly different from the old mark 1. Different wing chord and section. A few years ago a company called Yesterday’s aeromodeller plans service were selling a plan for the MK1. It could even be a reproduction of the original plan. They also included a plan for a built up wing as all the kit wot 4s were foam . Realising that 40 years in from the original and in over 40 years modelling I had never owned a wot 4. I built one from this plan. It’s a lovely model to fly. Sadly I can find no trace of YAMPS now so assume they have packed up. The good news is that you can still get wing ribs for that plan from Igull

10/10/2019 15:13:40

Plummet. Yes you are about right. I believe that when the wot 4 was originally produced it was a plan pack. Foam wings a plan and a few other bits. Most of the balsa you sourced yourself. A bit later they made a full kit. This was slightly different from the old mark 1. Different wing chord and section. A few years ago a company called Yesterday’s aeromodeller plans service were selling a plan for the MK1. It could even be a reproduction of the original plan. They also included a plan for a built up wing as all the kit wot 4s were foam . Realising that 40 years in from the original and in over 40 years modelling I had never owned a wot 4. I built one from this plan. It’s a lovely model to fly. Sadly I can find no trace of YAMPS now so assume they have packed up. The good news is that you can still get wing ribs for that plan from Igull

Thread: Ailerons extending to wingtip
04/10/2019 21:48:53

Regardless of what the plan says I never take the aileron to the tip. From an early bad experience with flutter which was. Cured by stopping short and gluing an inch or two of trailing edge in place

Thread: Guess the fault
04/10/2019 09:57:35

Black lead or switch harness. Could also be a pin on a plug or socked retracting a bit. I still prefer the old Flair battery checkers that lock d to a bright flashing led it there had been a temporary issue such as high resistance or heavy servo. Wish you could still get them

Thread: Wing trailing edge
30/09/2019 15:51:57

Right you have it from the master. Now this is what you do. Think of a non existent aerodynamic problem and attribute The theory to a fictional German scientist Now make up an equally fictional aircraft that just did not make it into production as ww1 ended. Or.... someone may we’ll be on here before the day is out with details of a real plane with a wobbly te

30/09/2019 14:28:36

Bill You are going to get all sorts of answers on this one. My opinion is yes I know it should be straight but hey get out there and fly it. You will also get profound theory’s why it’s wrong from a range of people from good modellers with a good knowledge of theory to those armchair theorists who always seem to be the ones who have trouble flying their models but believe they know why. My Gangster lite has warped in many ways still flys well but is getting a shade embarrassing to fly in day light. The trailing edge has gone wavy like yours in the space of the last 6 yesrs

Thread: indestructible slow flyer....
30/09/2019 11:04:44

Paul the news is good. The world has moved on from the days of the overweight hard to fly high wing trainers that were only trainers cos if you could fly them you could fly anything. We now have lighter stronger foam models. We also have 3 axis stabilisers and “safe”.

Someone mentioned the Easystar. Great to fly far more responsive if you want it to be than the old wooden trainers. Check it out on you tube. There is a video there of two guys. Had dozens of crashes and it still lived. Any one of those would have done serious damage to a wooden plane. Someone mentioned a Junior 60. Lovely fun and easy to fly and I reckon a better start than a load of setbacks. No it’s not counter productive, unless you wish to run before you can walk ok some might say it’s like a glider but you are still developing your flying. Just don’t over power it. A junior 60 will fly in pretty strong winds and you will still be in charge of it Certainly it will fly in as strong a wind as you would want to learn in. Yes Paul the news is good

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
28/09/2019 14:30:05

No Foxfan not many others have model match. It is a great facility. On many other makes it possible to fly on the wrong memory. So if you forget to change the TX memory it is possible to try to fly model x on model y memory. Disastrous if the controls are reversed. On Spektrum that cannot happen nothing moves and then you realise why before you try to fly. It is possible however I believe to st up two receivers to one memory of you really want to. It sounds like you have a bargain I have the dx8of probably similar vintage. Looks and feels well made love it

27/09/2019 10:19:18

£30. Grab it

27/09/2019 10:16:05

Fox fan you and I will upset a lot of people here but I agree with your comments about Futaba. I first wanted the new Futaba J in about 1979. Hell of a price but was about to buy one until I found that the receivers were all going back and being swapped for M series. So I bought a Sanea black custom. Perfect smoother sticks better quality’s feel altogether Fast forward to the late 80s. Toddled into LMS and asked for a FF7. Oh no they don’t make that any more try a FF8. To be honest I didn’t like the feel or price.i know what you want said man in shop and handed me a Hitec Prismx. First reaction was Chinese cheap rubbish. Wow what a set far better quality than the Futaba it had cloned. It was soon after that hitec gained respect it has today .I had that radio for 25 years. I later learnt that ff8 aerial mounts could snap. Back into lms mid nineties and fell in love with JR once again cheaper and better quality. Always wanted to buy Futaba but always found a good reason not to. Fast forward to 2013 and bought the 6j. Plasticky but hey it coast less than a couple of servos would back in the day in real terms. Sorry this does not answer your question. I am sure someone knows. Just wanted to share the flack you will get from the Futaba fraternity clearly good stuff with a strong loyal following but I think that is waning a bit now

Edited By gangster on 27/09/2019 10:18:05

27/09/2019 09:48:16

This is the sort of question where you ask 6 modellers and get 7 different answers. Personally if you know the dx7 I would buy it. All of my transmitters are second hand from eBay. In 2013 I retired and decided to do more flying I went straight to electric and also decided on some new radio. I bought a Futaba J6 and a spectrum dx6i. Both great radios but both of them did not appeal to me. So Within a month they both went on eBay and I bought the 8 channel version of both second hand on the same site. 61/2 years later I love them both. I then got glow model withdrawal itches and decided to get a second hand set of JR. The first two I got were ok, I ran the rule carefully over them, decided they were safe but somehow I wanted something better and newer.So they both went back on for auction with honest descriptions and happy in the knowledge they were safe and reliable  I was able to buy a mint condition pcm9x 16 pairs of crystals and 6 spcm receivers for £99. I checked for black wire corrosion replaced the battery and power switch as a matter of course. Lovely set of radio. I have also bought a 2.4 module for it just while they were still available assuming they won’t last forever. So you can get the great mid range Futsbas and Jrs you always wanted and have 2.4 A’s well if you want

Edited By gangster on 27/09/2019 09:51:05

Thread: V8R4-ii Rx not binding
20/09/2019 14:33:08

I cannot remember the details but am pretty sure that rx will bind in two different modes. One of the modes needs the bind plug the other does not. Just check the TX and RX are in the same mode.

Thread: Junior 60 Equipment Advice
19/09/2019 17:37:19

You are not forced to go to a quicker model. It’s not compulsory. If you want to stick to vintage then why not. What are your plans for the battery box? On mine I built it into the nose and poke the battery in from the front. Velcro keeps it in and a prop blade parts the Velcro to get it out. It’s a pain in the rudder if you need to take the wings off to change the battery

Thread: Are all chargers unreliable?
19/09/2019 11:16:34

My pirate copy B6 has given good service for 6 years. The only issue I had was melting the input plug when trying to charge at 5A. A quick bit of maths soon confirms why. I just hard wired it. I also have a core and a multiplex charger that I bought second hand both have given good service for years. Guess you just had bad luck

Thread: Club Mower.
19/09/2019 11:11:14

The same guy that wanted some new protective clothing. For some reason he was at odds with the boss and the awkward boss would not get him any. After a lot of badgering the boss sent him a pox doctors white coat which was no use to him. My mate got a bottle of red ink and made it look like it had been worn by a disastrous surgeon. He wire it to a team meeting but unfortunately our meeting had been moved to the board room and not the conference room. So wearing this coat he stumbled into a serious meeting of a lot of very senior managers. Sorry to the op if we have hijacked the post but I guess it can be brought back in line easily. I will try to find the picture of me using an Allen scythe with my coat trailing behind me

19/09/2019 11:01:07

Good man Don. You will survive whatever the world brings

19/09/2019 07:46:11
Posted by Don Fry on 18/09/2019 15:46:04:
Posted by gangster on 18/09/2019 13:01:35:

Ah the dear old Allen autocythe brings back great memories

Memories of an erotic nature? Tell more, we won't contact the Sun.

Interesting Don ! Still trying to puzzle that out, I am wondering if your mind works like that of a chap I used to work with. One example was when we were issues with some very large and useless soldering irons for heavy wiring . They were rubbish didn’t get very hot, the bits fell out, the handles melted and the bits disintegrated. My mate after struggling then suddenly declared to the boss. “ These things are like my sex life”. A strange comment even from him We were brave enough to ask why “ cos it looks like it ought to be better than it is.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!