By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lima Hotel Foxtrot

Here is a list of all the postings Lima Hotel Foxtrot has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How far do you travel to the nearest decent model shop?
10/07/2020 08:56:31

7.5 miles house door to Addlestone Model Centre. I'm very lucky, which why I always mention tjem

on here because I want the place to stay open.

Thread: Rubber motor lubrication
08/07/2020 20:31:12
Posted by Mike T on 08/07/2020 19:22:34:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 17:14:34:
Do they have any chemists? Do they actually make anything, or just repackage stuff purchased in large quantities and sold at much higher prices per 'quantity'?

IIRC from an interview in RCM&E a couple of years back, the company was founded and is still run by a husband & wife who were both industrial chemists. That's not to say that everything they sell is made 'in-house' but I recall a lot of their core products (mainly adhesives) are...

Edited By Mike T on 08/07/2020 19:34:23

You do recall correctly. Actually, you beat me to it!

**LINK**

08/07/2020 16:18:43
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 15:15:51:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 08/07/2020 14:59:47:

Addlestone Models have some specific silicone based lube for rubber power.

Silicones may be 'inert' but they aren't notably good lubricants for anything.

So why do Deluxe Materials make a specific silicone based lubricant for rubber motors? Hmmm? I'm pretty sure the chemists there know what they're doing.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/eze-wind

08/07/2020 14:59:47

Addlestone Models have some specific silicone based lube for rubber power.

Thread: LiPo over-voltage
08/07/2020 10:26:15

I can not believe* that people on this forum are recommending not balance charging lipos. Given that most chargers now will not charge without the balance lead being connected, this "advice" is both outdated and dangerous.

If you're charging a lipo, why would you not balance? It extends the life of the cells. It's safer. Are you just going to bung it on a NiMH or Pb setting and hope for the best?

I happen to have in front of me the instructions from an Overlander battery (7.4 450mah FYI):

"Always charge batteries with a balancer or use a charger with balance function. Overcharging may occur to the unbalanced cell of the pack if you use a series charger, or series charge programme, and it may shorten battery life, and may even cause fire."

It's up to you... But, hey, it's your house you may or may not burn down.

*On balance, yes I can.

Thread: Carbon Fibre Tubes
03/07/2020 08:30:37

My LMS Addlestone Models have lots of carbon tubes that are designed to nest. I suspect they come from JP.

Also, what is that interesting looking plane Peter Miller is building? It's not like his usual output.

Thread: Poor Service from Banggood- Buyer Beware!
10/06/2020 19:42:00

Presumably, those who are saying that buying cheap doesn't mean buying twice will not winge when the next low price gizmo they order from the far east doesn't arrive, breaks or is wrong.

10/06/2020 09:47:09
Posted by Steve J on 10/06/2020 09:31:30:
Posted by Tosh McCaber on 09/06/2020 12:56:03:

Poor Service from Banggood

When you buy from Banggood, you are not paying for customer service, that is one of the reasons that they are cheap. If you want customer service, by from a reputable UK or EU shop.

Caveat emptor.

Yup. If you buy cheap, you'll buy twice.

Thread: Solafilm and Alternatives
06/06/2020 14:19:28

My LMS - Addlestone Model Centre - still seems to have a decent supply of Oracover, Oratex and Easycoat in stock, along with some of the more individual taste colours of solarfilm.

Thread: The big question, WHEN
12/05/2020 10:41:29
Posted by john stones 1 on 12/05/2020 08:13:43:

We're going with "Stay Alert" good enough for the workforce, good enough for us. wink

"Stay Alert" is essentially meaningless, it will lead to another spike in infections, and it is the government abrogating blame because of the inevitable public enquiry.

We have had a fake lock down where everyone still goes out and half the country are still going to work.

We had a silent triage where they let the vulnerable die without taking them to hospitals.

They are letting people back to work on the basis of negative test results, even though the tests have a 30% false negative rate.

They are only testing symptomatic cases even though pre-symptomatic people are the most infectious.

Approx 700 people die each day according to government statistics, which have been proven to under report by 50-100%.

They keep going on about keeping the R below 1, even though R needs to fall significantly below 1 for the sickness and death rate to decline any time soon.

There is zero advice about how to quarantine within a home, or how to treat people at home.

Yet despite having the HIGHEST NUMBER OF DEATHS IN EUROPE as a result of the most lax lockdown (and no shutdown of all non-essential business) everyone is behaving like we have the most hardcore lockdown.

Nobody understands why there are so many deaths, and an awful lot of people think the government is doing an amazing job because positive thoughts and the blitz spirit will solve everything.

Nobody seems to understand that the reason lockdown is lifting elsewhere is because other places have the disease under control, with fewer new infections, while we still have huge community spread and effectively no knowledge of where the virus is spreading to and how.

Unfortunately, as club chairman, I have to herd a bunch of stroppy, geriatric cats so emphasising the BMFA advice is the best I can offer to them. A rota for going to the field? Partitioning the pits and flightline? HA! Unworkable.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 12/05/2020 10:42:01

Thread: More thinners
29/04/2020 09:22:48

Addlestone Models are still doing postal delivery. They have cellulose thinners in stock.

Thread: Mini E Panic
25/04/2020 10:44:39
Posted by Ernie on 28/07/2010 19:52:38:
Hi guys
I'd dearly love to build an original panic, does anyone know if plans are available?

ernie

Addlestone Models have the JP kit, and I wish someone else would buy it because it removes the temptation from me!

Thread: Not all FHSS are equal...
18/04/2020 14:50:25
Posted by David perry 1 on 17/04/2020 17:15:27:

Now he tells me...

Ha ha. I have managed to return it for a refund anyway, only lost the postage so its a cheap lesson.

Thanks anyway.

D

I hope you didn’t buy it from one of the increasingly beleaguered local model shops in the UK, because while it’s a cheap lesson for you, they have had to pay for your assumption.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 18/04/2020 14:52:13

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 11:30:48

Addlestone Models are open for web and phone orders, but they are going in on reduced hours so if you don't get an immediate response try again.

Thread: Shops closing
25/03/2020 18:34:44

My LMS Addlestone models is closed, but is doing web and phone orders and posting them out.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
23/03/2020 21:17:44

Isn't this enough of a pain without bringing politics into it?

Thread: Netflix scam
18/03/2020 21:36:16
Posted by Dickw on 18/03/2020 19:54:41:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 18/03/2020 18:33:47:

Just had an e-mail from info@mailer.netflix.com with a link to finish setting up. I might be wrong but seems like a scam maybe timed to catch those self isolating.

I had one of those as well. I tried to report it to Netflix as a scam but couldn't find any way of doing that on their website, so I deleted it.

I suppose it could be a new marketing strategy frown

Dick

Most email services have an option to flag a message as a phishing scam, which also deletes it from your inbox.

For those who don't know, a phishing scam is when you receive an email asking for details such as a log-in or bank numbers as a response and the mails are almost identical to an actual company. As posted above, the sender address is usually a slightly off variant to fool the casual reader.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
14/03/2020 18:52:13

I'm club chairman, and if I tried to close the club on the basis of the health of club members and preventing further disease vectors, I would be told to eff off in no uncertain terms. Mind you, in our club everybody is a keyholder, so the idea would be impossible to enforce from the word go.

I think the OP club committee is being very heavy handed over something they can not control, perhaps more to be seen to do something than anything else? Have they threatened member consequences if you dare to go and fly? Are there any controlling personalities on the committee? You know the type: They like to throw their weight around but hide behind the rules to do so.

Personally, I would see this as a chance to get some flying in with out anybody else around.

13/03/2020 13:41:08
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 12/03/2020 18:20:10:

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

Utterly ludicrous. Shutting down the club for this reason is just panicking. As long as you don't go around licking each other on the flight line you should be fine.

Thread: English language ?
12/03/2020 21:31:50

Moan, moan, moan.

The English language is a constantly evolving, dynamic tool of communication and expression. Have none of you read Chaucer? Or medieval English? Shakespeare? In form, composition, vocabulary and meaning there are many differences between what was penned and what is now accepted as the norm.

Also, gentlemen, given the focus of discussion in this thread, I suggest some proof-reading before you submit your own poor examples.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!