By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lima Hotel Foxtrot

Here is a list of all the postings Lima Hotel Foxtrot has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FliteTest Legacy
15/08/2019 21:33:58
Posted by Dad_flyer on 16/07/2019 07:40:40:

Removing the top paper for curving the nose was a puzzle for a while. It is stuck on very hard. I tried cutting it off with a bread knife, but that hacked at the foam.

Then I realised I could use the other weakness of the Hobbycraft board. It is not waterproof, so gentle wetting of the paper to be removed and it peels off a treat!

Using a lightly damp cloth to get water only where needed.

The paper never looks wet, but after a few passes with the cloth and waiting a little, the paper peels/rubs off easily.

Then it can be gently curved. This takes a little more easing than FliteTest board to get a smooth curve, as the foam itself is stiffer.

There were some angles visible on the outside of the curve, but fine for a chuck-about model.

I've just done the Explorer with the same Hobby craft foamboard. I found that if you gently steam the paper over a boiling kettle for a few seconds the glue deactivates and the paper area you want to remove comes away very easily in one big piece. I also found that massaging the foam gradually through thumb and forefinger gave a very nice curve with no angles. Maybe because all the paper and glue had gone.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Hawk & Lightning
15/08/2019 14:10:34

it probably goes against the whole ethos of EDF, but how easy would your jets be to adapt for prop jet?

Thread: Carbon Copy
31/07/2019 11:55:52
Posted by stu knowles on 30/07/2019 21:55:05:

Hmmm! Just got my mobile phone bill and there is a £3.12 charge for a 5 minute call to an 08456 number, A bit of a hidden charge there by Carbon Copy which does them no credit. sad

If you dialled an 08 number from a mobile and got surprised at the inflated charge... well, that's on you then.

Thread: Model Recommendation
30/07/2019 12:31:38

One of the many Flitetest mighty mini models would do the job nicely. I just got their Mini Sportster, and on a 3s it goes like shot from a gun, 4 ch, very aerobatic.

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
30/07/2019 12:29:10
Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 20/07/2019 00:05:36:

Here's the final offering and yet another indulgence for me....the TSR2 on a single 50mm EDF...wings are a little stretched buy hey, let see what happens

Ooooh! I am genuinely excited! But surely you wouldn't have to stretch the wings if you did scale blown flaps...? laugh

Thread: Old Fuel
29/07/2019 11:11:11
Posted by CARPERFECT on 29/07/2019 08:20:11:

Good for weed killer

In fact, the best weedkiller I've found!

Thread: Moon landing
22/07/2019 13:55:05
Posted by Peter Miller on 22/07/2019 13:45:11:

I once read a science fiction short story.

In it the point was made that the people who most want to govern are those least suited to governing.

I can't remember the author but I bet he is saying "I told you so!!!"

That may have been Harry Harrison. I think ha also said that the government should be selected from a citizen-wide ballot, with fixed terms and time off for good behaviour.

22/07/2019 13:52:55
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 20/07/2019 19:09:59:

Some of you will no doubt remember that I put a thread on here a while ago regarding a theory that this was all done in Hollywood. Many hundreds of generally nasty replies from people calling me a lunatic etc.

I have watched most of the recent stuff on TV and was slowly coming round to believing that it actually happened until I saw one of the `take offs` again. A few sparks, no dust, no flame from the rocket and the camera tilted up with the craft, and please don`t tell me again that it was controlled from the Earth. Why did it stop when it did and not follow the craft up further?

Also, on the `landings`, we can hear every word said by the crew with a rocket motor inches below them.

NASA have recently admitted that a Mars mission would not be possible until they found a way to get through Earth`s radiation belt without frying the crew.

I rest my case.

What MM has missed is that the fake moon landings were to be directed by stanly Kubrick, fresh off 2001. Kubrick, a notoriously obsessive director, insisted on absolute detail. His demands grew so much that, eventually, NASA simply went to the moon because it was cheaper and easier than dealing with Kubrick.

Just to be clear, the above is a joke.

Thread: Well done England!
15/07/2019 11:35:06

Irish captain, two South Africans, one New Zealander and a chap from Barbados. Hooray for integration! Well done team, nice to see a bit of good news.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
03/07/2019 22:52:30
Posted by Nightflyer on 03/07/2019 13:21:29:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 02/07/2019 15:14:51:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 13:16:56:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 01/07/2019 16:19:23:

So what you see fly is what you can buy at the stalls behind you. As i have mentioned before (this same discussion last year) there is a problem here as people wont pay money to watch an acrowot fly. For a start it would be small at the safe distances we have to fly at and then if you wanted to see an acrowot you would just go to the local field and there will probably be one or something similar there. Its a balance and they are working on it.

Maybe not an Acrowot singular, but I'd pay good money to see 50 or 100 in the air at once! You could have a competition to see who actually lands after the carnage!

And who will finance said carnage? Its a great idea but you again rely on the pilots to supply and pay for their own models. Even a foamy acrowot is 100 odd quid and i wouldnt want to be throwing that away. Remember that each slot runs twice a day, so that could cost you £400 in foamies alone if you were unlucky.

Very valid point Jon, I remember the days when the Ripmax Team were flying Rapiers and can remember at both Sandown, Plumpton and Hastings show weekends a high attrition rate on models on the Saturday and some frantic searching for replacements to fulfil the Sunday show slots. IIRC the models were supplied (but still costly weekend for Ripmax). It can look great to have these slots but can be very costly be it to modeller(s) or manufacturer(s). Added to that the fact that a number of the pilots, manufacturers and their models support multiple shows it can be quite a challenge - especially if you have to repair or build replacement models!

Similarly, we as responsible people should consider how we want to promote our hobby/sport. Lots of crashes and mid-air collisions may look entertaining but does not necessarily promote model flying in a positive light to the public and authorities - especially in this day with the high visibility that social media provides. I am not sure if this helps boost show visitors or jaundices public opinios of model flying. I daresay there are others better positioned to have a view on this.

Oh, for the love of God. I typed in jest. BUT I still say it would be a great spectacle. Doesn’t have to be acrowots. Flite Fest did it in the states with over 300 planes.

i dare say you like the mass free flight launches at old warden, and that’s far less controlled.

Thread: Local club attendance
02/07/2019 17:49:23
Posted by Cuban8 on 02/07/2019 16:13:57:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 13:22:18:
Posted by Cuban8 on 02/07/2019 11:07:47:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 10:43:50:

put peg on 2.4GHz section of board etc...................

Presumably, you have a flight peg system to limit the number of models airborne at one time?

Nope, the keyholder/safety officer/whichever commitee member happens to be there has judgement over that.

The heat's obviously got to me over the weekend.................so why do you need (or it's insisted that you have) a peg for 2.4?

You don't need it, you have to do it. It's in the rules! This club LOVES a procedure.

02/07/2019 13:22:18
Posted by Cuban8 on 02/07/2019 11:07:47:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 10:43:50:

put peg on 2.4GHz section of board etc...................

Presumably, you have a flight peg system to limit the number of models airborne at one time?

Nope, the keyholder/safety officer/whichever commitee member happens to be there has judgement over that.

Thread: Local Model Shops
02/07/2019 13:19:53
Posted by Andrew Ray on 02/07/2019 12:27:08:

It is only a specious argument because you chose to see it that way and draw irrelevancies into the equation.

Right back at you.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
02/07/2019 13:16:56
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 01/07/2019 16:19:23:

So what you see fly is what you can buy at the stalls behind you. As i have mentioned before (this same discussion last year) there is a problem here as people wont pay money to watch an acrowot fly. For a start it would be small at the safe distances we have to fly at and then if you wanted to see an acrowot you would just go to the local field and there will probably be one or something similar there. Its a balance and they are working on it.

Maybe not an Acrowot singular, but I'd pay good money to see 50 or 100 in the air at once! You could have a competition to see who actually lands after the carnage!

02/07/2019 11:53:11
Posted by Andrew Ray on 02/07/2019 11:25:53:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 10:37:43:

If any modeller wants to support their LMS... Pay what the LMS asks you to pay. The people who run these shops are already being undercut by web-based business that don't have the overheads of a physical shop, they have to deal with distributers who can't/won't get the kit into the country, what they don't need is people demanding a discount just for the privilege of having you in the shop.

I used to sell cars, it was a family business, are you seriously telling me you would abide by what you have stated here and come and buy a car from me at full price? Of course not, and likewise I won't pay full price and will always try to negotiate a discount. I know you're going to say it's different, but it's not. I have spent as much on models as cars in the past.

And if they had knocked a fiver off the OP may well have gone back and spent an awful lot of money with that shop since he posted the original comment in September 2018, thus reaping the reward of engaging with the customer and offering an incentive to do business with them.

Sorry, but that is a specious argument in all respects. A large single purchase like a car can not be compared with small ongoing purchases like propellers. The capital expenditure is totally different, as are costs for insurance, road licence fund, fuel etc.

Model shops are already discounting heavily. My LMS generally has to take off 10-12% to compete with all the other outlets across all forms of modelling to stay competitive. Why should they then take more money off on the offchance that a customer (who has said he lives an hours drive away) may come back? And how would they police it? Do they take your details for a loyalty card? A photo? GDPR costs money as well. How often do you get the discount? On what items? On model plane parts? An entire plane? A railway set?

There is no reward to be reaped because modellers are generally a tight bunch and will always look around for pennies off. I do it, don't tell me nobody here does the same.

It's laudable that the OP made the effort to visit his local(ish!) model shops, and perhaps more people should do the same, but why bother when items can be posted from anywhere in the UK and overseas.

Thread: Local club attendance
02/07/2019 10:43:50

I love armchair flyers! Without them my subs would be much higher and I'd have to make tedious conversation or wait for a slot instead of being able to zoom all over an empty field to my hearts content!

I'm in two clubs. At one I am an armchair flyer because there only ever seems to be a keyholder when I'm working (two people minimum, need A cert, all TX & RX to be same brand, put peg on 2.4GHz section of board etc), while at my other club you can just rock up and go for it as long as you don't scare the horsies. If I do see anybody there its usually the same five faces.

02/07/2019 10:37:43
Posted by Dave Hess on 01/09/2018 17:55:19:

"Yes, we see a lot of guys in your situation. we've found that this plane is very popular with them, and seeing as you're new here, we can knock £5 off the price." Etc.

So you want to support your local model shop, but you think they should just discount the money they need to stay open when you buy an item because you happened to walk into the shop one time?

If they did that on a regular basis, they'd go out of business in short order.

If any modeller wants to support their LMS... Pay what the LMS asks you to pay. The people who run these shops are already being undercut by web-based business that don't have the overheads of a physical shop, they have to deal with distributers who can't/won't get the kit into the country, what they don't need is people demanding a discount just for the privilege of having you in the shop.

Thread: Cable plug compatibility
27/06/2019 22:30:39

Spektrum RXs are very often (no idea why, you would think they’d have sorted it out by now) too wide for the sockets. Whenever this has caused a problem for me I have thinned the plugs with a few sweeps on my permagrit block.

Do it on the solid side, you don’t want to risk weakening the tiny plastic tabs that actually hold the pins in place.

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
17/06/2019 21:48:53
Posted by brokenenglish on 13/06/2019 15:41:57:

I don't see how Brexit can have anything to do with it.
How much modelling stuff does the UK import from continental Europe?
Very little indeed I think, and it's quite possible, even likely, that trading conditions with non-European countries could be improved without conditions imposed by the EU.

Oh, dear. Politics.

Anyway, where do you think all the stuff made in the far east goes through to get here? Europe. Europe is the logistical trading hub that we import from. Brexit WILL effect the prices of every modelling item you buy in the form of customs tariffs if nothing else, and these costs will be passed onto the UK purchaser.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 17/06/2019 21:50:54

Thread: Weston Park 2019
17/06/2019 21:38:34
Posted by DavidH on 16/06/2019 10:27:10:

pricey (£14 entry fee - no BMFA member discount either),

I suspect that the cost of organising this is pretty hefty, and if every BMFA member (or, LMA, or FPVUK etc) member who went wanted a discount then the organisers simply would not be able to afford the show.

They could ameliorate this by putting the ticket prices up to cover the disparity, but that would defeat the point and fewer non BMFA members would go because of high ticket prices.

Or the organisers could charge more for the retail stand patches, for which the retailers pay a lot, so their prices would either go up or they wouldn't bother going at all.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us