By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Allan Bowker

Here is a list of all the postings Allan Bowker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RCM&E Greenacres 2015 pics and video
13/07/2015 14:35:12

A fantastic weekend, good to be back. My thanks to GMAC for being brilliant hosts.

Thread: Parts purchase and Fix
03/07/2015 12:28:37

A good transmitter for that receiver (without breaking the bank) would be a Spektrum DX6i.
You should be able to get good second hand one for £40-£60

As for charging that receiver NiMH battery, perhaps these items would be an option for you.

Thread: Breitling MXS-R
03/07/2015 11:28:32

Martyn, Skyline tell me that a good supplier is General Hobby.

I've never used them myself, so can't personally recommend, however plenty of comments about them here.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 03/07/2015 11:28:50

01/07/2015 16:35:42

The plane was £125 plus another £125 for shipping (luckily no customs charges were added this side), so I was quids in compared to prices with US retailers.

I ordered from SDS Hobby, however I couldn't recommend them (that's another story, see thread here).
Despite the hassle, it was worth it.

I have emailed the factory today to ask if they have any other distributors they can recommend to me.

01/07/2015 13:11:14

Thanks Adrian, the Mintor now has a cannister fitted which helps a lot.
The standard exhaust has no muffling effect however (as in my test bench video below) but still not too noisy.

30/06/2015 23:38:27
Maidened at last!
As promised, here's a video:

Edited By Allan Bowker on 30/06/2015 23:38:43

Thread: A thumbs up for Hobbyking
19/06/2015 11:22:48

Same for me too, maybe things are looking up for a change.
I ordered 2 lipos on Wednesday and they got delivered next day, well done HK UK!

Although they were on an email alert for when they came back in stock and I didn't get any email.
Luckily I just checked on the off-chance.

Perhaps 'Galaxy Gary' has finally sorted them out?

Thread: Where I was born
19/06/2015 11:18:17

I hope you had a great day Josip laugh

Thread: Lovely day at the office
12/06/2015 16:05:04

Grace, beauty and performance.

Lovely video.

Thread: Breitling MXS-R
08/06/2015 11:37:32

Concorde Speedbird:
There have been a number of Red Bull themed ARTF's over the years, just not advertised in the main stream. Usually you see the Edge Kirby Chambliss scheme copied a lot, however I did see the new Corvus racer that Peter Besenyei is championing. They are out there if you Google hard enough

There is no dihedral in the wing and a smoke system would be a good addition, maybe for next year?
26% scale pylons, now there's a thought.......maybe not, I'm not that good laugh

John:
Yes, seen the Glens Cap model, very nice too. At 62cc she must be a monster!

Adrian:
Thankfully most companies around the world conduct their international business in english.
I work for a german company and they do everything in english, regardless of which country our office operates.
The factory was easy to contact via email and they responded by directing me to one of their local online resellers. The airframe, shipping and custom charges came to about £250, so at the time, I was still saving loads on the US price of around $600

Bill:
I have seen this same airframe sold under a few names (Red Aero, AeroBeez, etc) The internal structures and dimensions are identical, so I can only assume they are all coming from the same factory (Skyline RC).
It wouldn't surprise me if GoldwingRC are also a reseller. Most do not have the Breitling logo anymore and do not reference Red Bull, I guess to avoid licensing fees and restrictions.

Incidentally, there was a slightly larger 50cc version by the same manufacturer a few years back.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 08/06/2015 11:43:22

07/06/2015 23:09:42

Wingspan: 75.5" (26% scale of full size)
Receiver: Spektrum AR9110 DSMX PowerSafe (Dual Redundant Power)
Servos: Savox (Various)
CDI Power: Tech Aero Ultra IBEC

With today being such glorious weather it was finally time to finish running the engine in.

MXS-R 1

MXS-R 2

MXS-R Run-in 1

MXS-R Run-in 2

Maiden flight coming up...hopefully this week.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 07/06/2015 23:25:14

07/06/2015 23:03:07

She's been fitted with a Mintor 38cc

Mintor 38cc Petrol

Mintor 38cc Petrol

• Displacement: 38cc
  • Power: circa 4.7 hp, with canister
  • Weight: 2.2 lbs (1kg)
  • Bore: 1.77 in
  • Stroke: 0.90 in
  • Length: 6.37 in (complete with spacers)
  • RPM Range: 1550 – 9000 RPM
  • Walbro Carburetor; 2 petal reed valve dynamic flow
  • Prop Range: 19x8 – 20x10
  • RCExel CDI Electronic Ignition
  • Fuel: unleaded petrol, oil 100% synthetic 2-stroke
07/06/2015 22:54:02

I have been a fan of the Red Bull Air Race since 2004 and took an immediate liking to the Breitling MXS-R, flown by Nigel Lamb (GB).

red bull 2.jpgred bull 1.jpg

My dreams were not likely to become an RC reality however as my limited spare time is usually spent flying rather than builiding. Imagine my excitement to find a US company selling an ARTF a few years later!

A quick email to them dashed all that though as their licensing agreement with Breitling wouldn't allow them to ship outside of the US.
angry

Around a year later, I managed to find the manufacturer in China and one month later a coffin sized box arrived on my doorstep.
laugh

MXS-R Unboxing 1

MXS-R Unboxing 2

It was wonderfully packaged.

MXS-R Unboxing 3

Lego brick placed on the side of the box for scale.

MXS-R Unboxing 4

MXS-R Unboxing 5

Couldn't wait to push fit the main parts together, she already looked great.
The lack of a build manual was going to be the first challenge!

After a few months of head scratching, countless hours of research and shopping for all the components, she started coming together.

MXS-R Fitting

That cowl is huge! It easily fits over my head (don't ask how I know) wink

Edited By Allan Bowker on 07/06/2015 22:56:28

Thread: Mintor Engines
05/06/2015 14:50:18

Having contacted the largest distributor for Mintor in the US it seems that they have been forced to assume Mintor Motori have gone out of business.

Mintor have not communicated with them for "quite some time" and owe them a considerable amount of money.
Hang on to those engines, they could be worth something to collectors (or for parts!).

wink

Thread: Hello from down under
02/06/2015 16:12:07

Welcome to the forum John, you are sure of a warm welcome here.

Thread: Walkalong Glider
02/06/2015 16:00:10

Wonderful to see this being done in a school.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't look like a British school though.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 02/06/2015 16:05:43

Thread: Pilot Killed At Alba Adriatica
02/06/2015 15:51:25

surprise

Thread: Throws
02/06/2015 15:43:49

I've always found that most aircraft need very little throw for normal flight, it all depends upon the model and style of flying.

In your situation I would setup the radio with varying degrees of dual rates and expo.
Perhaps a 30degree regular mode and a 45degree emergency mode?
After the maiden flight, you could then adjust to your preference.

Do you have a photo of said model Taff?
Size, all up weight, engine/motor size, etc, might help other comments.

Thread: HobbyRC.co.uk
02/06/2015 15:32:08

As an update to my original post, my order arrived much quicker than expected, only one week!

I'm very happy with what was delivered, very well packed, excellent quality parts and a second order to them was just as positive an experience (and arrived within 2 days of making the order online, perfect!)

I would personally recommend HobbyRC, their knowlege of multirotor aircraft and customer service is excellent.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 02/06/2015 15:33:25

Thread: The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)
01/06/2015 16:56:46

Josip, I thought you would have posted a photo of the Red Bull Air Race today?

Did you not go to Rovinj?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!