By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Allan Bowker

Here is a list of all the postings Allan Bowker has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What prop size?
26/02/2009 14:07:39
Well I have come away from my local model shop with a Gunther prop to try and an APC prop (4.75 x 5.5) with a new alloy adapter (E-Flite EFLM1921)

I'm not sure that the APC prop will be any better if at all, will it strain my little 380 motor?

The Gunther prop looks a good match though.
24/02/2009 23:48:13
LOL - OK Tim, will do.

Thanks.

Thread: Multiplex Mentor
24/02/2009 21:53:49
Got any suggestions for a supplier Tim? That seemed about the average price to me online and looking in the mag.
24/02/2009 21:52:12
Thanks Scott, they look very similar. Might be a good match.

Would I get any other type of prop on there or is a 380 motor just too small?
24/02/2009 13:59:25

This is my shopping list so far (click image to open)

Anything in red I need to get specified (what/who) and then work on getting the best prices overall.

Please help me out guys
24/02/2009 13:21:51
Thanks to David Ashby who sent the following:

MORE COMMENTS WELCOME !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used one bottle of Zacki - £3.99 or so.

Prop - probably an 11x6 APC - £3

You could happily fly with a 3700mAh 3S Li-Po is the budget is tight, get 2 if you can then you'll have 2 x 7 min flights per packs.

ESC - get a 50-60 amp to be on the safe side. A basic linear ESC or switch mode version if you prefer.  A UBEC or voltage regulator will make sure the RX/servos get the correct power supply at the correct voltage from the battery. £30 + £10

Unless you're glider towing get 2 x std servos for rudder and elevator £18
and 2 x mini servos for ailerons £18. Don't forget extension leads.

Motor looks fine. Charger likewise.

Radio wise - I'd go for the DX6i at least as it's a far more flexible and useful bit of kit (model memories, expo etc..) Spending more on a good radio will pay dividends in the long run.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thread: Multiplex Mentor - what motor/esc?
24/02/2009 13:17:03
Thanks David

I think I should carry on my questions in this thread as it already has a lot of useful info in there too.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=14288&p=2#571451
24/02/2009 13:15:40
My dad has caught the flying bug and wants to buy the Multiplex Mentor. 
I'm confused about electric flight though as I'm totally IC.

Can anyone suggest a complete package & suppliers for the following items?
Thanks

Servo's, Motor, ESC, Battery, Prop.

I already have the following down on the list:
    Plane (Mentor)
    TX & RX (Spektrum DX5e)
    Charger (Elysium LX60B)
    Zacki Elapor Glue

Thread: Multiplex Mentor - what motor/esc?
24/02/2009 12:49:47
My dad wants to get a Multiplex Mentor after reading this months review in the mag.
It will be his first plane. Could someone put together a shopping list for him or help me complete the on e below? Thanks

What's the difference between a BEC & UBEC, Tim?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Multiplex Mentor Plane
www.servoshop.co.uk

Transmitter & Receiver (Spektrum DX5e)
www.servoshop.co.uk

5 Servos
????

Motor
BRC

ESC (40A to 60A)
???

Battery 4900 3s lipo
???

Zacki Elapor Glue
???

Propeller
???

Battery Charger
Elysium LX60B
£72.99

-----------------------------------------------------------------
24/02/2009 12:20:20
Thanks Scott but I'm new to leccy flight. I think I need more help on this as I'm used to IC powered planes.

If I ask for a Gunther prop in my local shop they will just ask "what size?".
Which brings me back to square one.

22/02/2009 16:33:54
I have a Wild Hawk plane, my first venture into electric powered flight.

Unfortunately the prop came off during a flight and it being a 'Mickey Mouse' beginners plane the instructions do not specify the technical details that you would normally find in 'real' hobby kit.

My problem is what prop size do I buy to replace the lost one?

The motor is a 380 size and is powered by an 8.4v 1000mah NiMh cell.
Max prop diameter is 144mm before it catches the body of the plane (push prop).

(Yes, I'm going to get a 'proper' electric plane soon) lol
Thread: Pick a plane 2009
21/02/2009 02:29:11

Tucano

Hawk

Thread: Ni-MH Charging - Help Please!!!
04/01/2009 15:06:00
Timbo - forum moderator wrote (see)

Off load and disconnected what does it read?

Lithium

That was the readings disconnected with no load.
My Pb battery problem is a bit off topic now, I think I will see how this battery performs when I wheel out the IC planes in a few weeks.

If the problem persists I may post a fresh thread. Cheers!

03/01/2009 14:02:00

I'm reading 12.5v at the moment on my meter and the battery charger reads 13.8v

I think I will have to play it by ear and see how it goes with the battery.
What flight box battery would you recommend guys?

02/01/2009 22:27:00

Well I had a successful flight today with the Wild Hawk.

It was a bit blustery for the lightweight and underpowered foamy but it all ended with good landings and all on one battery (with power to spare!).

So it looks like the charging is going well now, thanks again for your help guys.

I'm all charged up now for all batteries except for one, the Sealed Lead Acid battery (Pb)
It's a Yuasa NP7-12 (12v 7Ah)

Pb is selected on the charger,  set to 0.7A and it charges for 1-3 minutes and then finishes, sometimes with the message "Open Circuit". The manual explains that the battery has become disconnected but the connections are 100% and contacts are clean and checked with a multi-meter. Tried about 8 times to charge it now.

The wall wart charger is rated at 12v 0.9A output (I have tried these settings on the charger) and it still only lasts for 5mins max.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the battery is charged, although it was used last month for a good days Nitro/IC flying. The battery is new, purchased in July. Comments welcome.

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/images/products/Fullsize/NP7-12.jpg

02/01/2009 15:01:00

Thanks Timbo.

I subscribed a few weeks ago by Direct Debit, so will look forward to your article in the mag.

02/01/2009 14:02:00

Thanks to Timbo & Frank

Last night I printed out the articles  "Battery chargers demystified" and "Electrickery demystified" and read all 22 pages. Probably about half went over my head but I will keep revising the pages until over time I understand (probably over 2 years!).

Newbie Tip:
Standardise all your plugs and connectors to 4mm Banana plugs/sockets!
I wish I had earlier and will be doing so soon. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

So as far as I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong), it's best to charge at 1C for all my batteries (1C being 1000mAh = 1.0A  on my charger setting) whilst I'm getting to grips with it all.

I charged my two 8.4v 1000mAh Mi-Mh last night at 0.8A and they both took about an hour give or take 5 minutes either way. I'm going to try them out today, weather permitting.

Therefore:
Pb             12v   7000mAh     = Charge at 0.7A (one tenth 1C)
Li-Po       7.4v      800mAh     = Charge at 0.8A (1C)
Ni-Cd      8.4v      600mAh     = Charge at 0.6A (1C although can be charged at 2C)
Ni-Mh      8.4v    1000mAh     = Charge at 1.0A (1C although can be charged at 2C)

Obviously I would set the correct battery type on my charger & connect the balance leads where appropriate. Is this OK? Should I be let loose yet?

01/01/2009 22:50:00

Thanks Timbo, I knew you could help.

I was charging at 3A for 2 reasons.

1) I don't know what I'm doing

&

2) It said 3A on the side of the battery.

So what setting do I set the charger to then? 0.8A ?

How can I work out what charge rate to set my batteries at?
I can't keep asking you now can I Timbo?

I have Ni-Cd / Ni-Mh / Li-Po / Pb batteries.

Thread: Elysium LX60B Pro Charger
01/01/2009 21:32:00

Timbo / Wess

I have a LX60B too and have a charging query, would you take a look at my post regading Ni-Mh charging please? Thanks.

Thread: Ni-MH Charging - Help Please!!!
01/01/2009 21:25:00

Summary:

Fusion Elysium LX60B Charger
8.4v Ni-Mh Battery 1000mAh (7x2/3A)
Wild Hawk Plane - 380 Motor (EasyStar copy : http://site.wonderhobby.com/wildhawk.JPG )

Problem:
Battery lasts for 5 minutes and I don't think I'm charging the battery correctly.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Well Santa, eBay and the local model shop gave me lots of goodies this Christmas and with it a few questions.

For 15 years I have flown Nitro planes and have started to have a dabble in the electric world and need some help with my new "Fusion Elysium LX60B" charger (£80) and a new battery pack.

The charger asks me "C=?" basically what the 'charge current' is for the battery that I am connecting.
Do I put 3.0A? (C=3.0A) as at the moment on this setting the battery charges in 4-5 minutes and only lasts 2-4 mintues in the air on a 380 motor, 2 mini servo's and a Spektrum AR5000 receiver.
Surely I should be getting 10-20 minutes?

Can someone help me out please?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!