By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lest We Forget.
11/11/2019 14:59:21

My maternal grandfather was a professional soldier in the South Wales Borderers, an Old Contemptible. He had served in South Africa and in India in the early years of the Twentieth Century. He was awarded the Military Medal in the last week of the Great War and was wounded four times during the conflict.

After the war he returned to his old trade, that of a coach painter with the Great Western Railway. He was also a trade union convenor for the National Union of Railwaymen at Shrewsbury. After the General Strike of 1926 his employers forced him to work in Nuneaton nearly 70 miles away which meant that he had to keep two homes.

Of course this wouldn't happen these days.

Thread: Cremation, or Composting ?
11/11/2019 13:01:38

I have a wood burning stove. Wrecked models make superb kindling!

Thread: Lest We Forget.
11/11/2019 12:09:58
Posted by David Davis on 11/11/2018 12:20:30:

inconnu.jpgfour unknown german dead.jpgunknown american soldier.jpgnine soldiers of the great war..jpg

Edited By David Davis on 11/11/2018 12:21:58

Laest We Forget.

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
11/11/2019 07:42:37

Flew my multi-coloured WOT 4 Mark 3 yesterday afternoon and gave my trainee three flights on the electric foamy "We Can Fly," which looks like a copy of an earlier Multiplex design to me. Two of these flights involved him taking off for the first time. There was no wind to begin with but it increased in strength as the afternoon progressed before moderating again as the sun started to set.

The WOT 4 was designed for a 40 two-stroke but I have installed a Thunder Tiger 54 four-stroke in the nose. To get the c of g correct I have added 30 grammes of lead at the rear. The model flies well but still needs quite a bit of up trim to maintain straight and level flight at moderate engine speeds.

wot 4 (1).jpg

we can fly.jpg

P.S. It was not tee shirt and shorts weather yesterday!

Thread: How many on-going projects and unstarted kits do you have?
10/11/2019 06:18:49
Posted by Nigel R on 09/11/2019 20:34:45:.

... I do have a box of engines that I'm unlikely to completely use.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the engines. I've got forty of them ranging from a Mills 75 to a Laser 155.

Only six of them are currently installed in models! blush

09/11/2019 14:52:39

About fifteen or twenty years ago I bought a model, a Brian Taylor Harvard off an old boy from Somerset. He'd made a lovely job of it. Post war RAF colours, two pilots, retracts etc, but I've never flown it. I'm waiting for my landings to improve! Over tea and cakes he said that all aeromodellers were hoaders.

Yesterday I was considering how to cover my latest build, Dr Walt Good's "Big Guff," one of the very first models designed for radio control and dating from 1938, when I realised just how much stuff I'd acquired over the years and that at seventy-one I would be unlikely to finish everything before my date with the Grim Reaper! sad

This is the list of "projects."

1. The Big Guff to finish.
2. A 1/6 scale BE2e to finish.
3. A little Sharkface to finish.
4. The WOT 4 XL to re-cover.
5. My Senior Telemaster to re-cover. The fuselage needs a little work too it's too flexible.
6. My late best friend's Flying Flea to finish off.
7. My Uncle Ivor's Keil Kraft Outlaw to renovate.
8. A WOT 4 Classic to renovate.
9. A Dave Smith Models Aerostar patternship to renovate.
10. The elderly gentleman's T6/Harvard which needs the radio and engine installing.
11. A Majestic Major that needs a new fuselage, repairs to the wing and a complete re-cover.
12. A DB Sport and Scale Auster to finish off.
13. A friend's Bristol Blenheim to complete
14. My double size Tomboy which requires a new fuselage and fin!

Then there are seven unstarted kits as follows:

DB Sport and Scale SE5 1/4 scale.
Fokker DVII 1/6 scale.
Supra Star patternship.
Another WOT 4 Classic.
Hawker Hurricane.
Stampe Monitor
Another Practical Scale 1/6 scale BE2e.

If I am typical, the old boy must have been right, we are all hoarders! What do you think?

Perhaps I should sell some! indecision

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
09/11/2019 06:06:25
Posted by Erfolg on 08/11/2019 20:52:29:

David, did you work on the Cyclotron at Rev Dodgsons place.

Looks like all the leafs have fallen of the bushes or trees. I tend to avoid fancy dress when I go flying, just in case any one thinks I need referring for medical treatment. Standing alone in a field, staring at the sky seems bizarre enough.

No Erfolg, I uset to work as a youth and community worker and later an adult careers adviser. I also worked as a painter and decorator when there was nothing more remunerative to be had. I doubt that my Physics and Maths O Levels would have qualified me to work in any scientific capacity. I even had to google "cyclotron" to find out what it was and "Rev Dodgson," wasn't he Lewis Carroll? He was a mathematician of some standing in his day but he died in 1898 and the cyclotron was not invented, according to Wikipedia, until 1929 so I don't get the connection.

Secondly, I took that picture of cranes in 2016 as I said in the last sentence of my post. There are still plenty of leaves on the trees here though they are starting to change colour now.

As for the orange overalls, my clubmates used to tease me about being an escapee from Guantanamo but I replied that I wear them to keep warm, that they're of excellent quality, that they were very cheap to buy because of their colour and that they're also fire resistant so that if ever we were caught in a fire I would be able to walk out of it and they'll all be dead!

fun fly apres maiden..jpg

08/11/2019 16:17:56

I went flying this afternoon. The temperature was 9C and there was little wind and the early autumn colours of central France had produced a pleasing sfumato effect. For the next week the forecast suggests wind and rain which will put the mockers on any attempt to fly. So it was on with the fleece and orange miners' overalls and load some models into the van. Among the models was "La Rosse d'Hiver." This is the nearest I can get to a "Winter Hack" in French. Literally it means, "The Nag of the Winter." My Winter Hack is actually a WOT 4 Mark 3 powered by a Thunder Tiger 54 and covered in film off-cuts. Because the WOT 4 was intended for a 40 two-stroke the model has always been a little nose-heavy so I've added a wheel balancing weight to the tailplane to see what effect it would have. It actually had very little effect so I'll have to rig the model up accurately on my c of g jig and add more weight until the desired balance point is reached. Having had one brief test flight I landed the model, got my foamie trainer out practised landing approaches with it.

While I was doing this I was aware of the call of those harbingers of winter in these parts, the Common Crane, on their annual migration south. Apparently they fly from Scandanavia and Russia and spend the winter in North Africa or Southern Spain. Lucky birds! I landed and watched them fly by. The first flock must have had a thousand birds in it. Behind it smaller numbers were striving to catch up with the leading group. When they caught up with the flock they merged with it increasing the length of the line, each bird benefitting from the bird in front and helping the bird behind penetrate the air. If only humans were so co-operative. One group broke away from the main group by appearing to slow down. In fact they had detected a current of rising air, they ascended with it and after a few minutes they were not only higher than the leading group they were in front of it. Right at the front the leading bird had the hardest task for there was no bird ahead of him or her to penetrate the air but after several minutes another bird would take over. I stood in admiration as sixteen flocks flew by. Some had only about fifty birds in them but the larger flocks... well, some of them must have contained thousands. It's a shame that I did not have my camera with me but here's a picture that I took in 2016 of the cranes in their annual migation.

another flock of cranes..jpg

None of my clubmates turned up so I went home, lit the woodburner and settled down to coffee and cake.

Incidentally this is a picture of the WOT 4, he's also called "Joseph" because of his coat of many colours! smiley Oh well suit yourselves...

la rosse dhiver (1).jpg

08/11/2019 15:14:05
Posted by aidan mcatamney on 30/09/2018 12:39:22:

2018-09-28 17.22.31.jpg

...and that's a really nice B17 Aidan.

Thread: Covering a sheeted surface in tissue and dope.
08/11/2019 08:17:51

May I firstly express my thanks to everyone who has offered advice on using tissue and dope to cover the fuselage of my Big Guff. I was simply waiting for my pension to be paid before ordering the materials but yesterday morning, before I'd even had breakfast, I had a Eureka moment! It requires a little explanation so here goes.

My Uncle Geoff was the man who helped me build my first model aeroplane. He was married to one of my mother's four sisters. He encouraged me through the second and third build but died of cancer in 1961. He was only thirty years old. He had worked as a draftsman and before he died he gave me all of his models including the fuselage of a double sized Tomboy and the plans he had drawn up. Among the models was a standard sized Tomboy which I flew free flight powered by a Mills 75 diesel.

Spool on thirty years and I finished his big Tomboy in the colours of his small one, yellow fuselage, red wing and tailplane with red trim. In fact it's had three fuselages. The first one was his own but the balsa was very weak so I built a second fuselage using cyano throughout. This disintegrated in a crash caused by pilot error: I was very inexperienced at the time so I built a third fuselage. The third fuselage was broken beyond repair when I put the model into a tree; again I was very inexperienced at that time but I still have the plan, and the wing and tailplane are in a box in my workshop waiting for me to build a fourth fuselage!

I'd covered the first fuselage in yellow nylon and the wings in Vintage Red Solartex. The second and third fuselages were covered in Vintage Yellow Solartex. At some stage I bought some more Vintage Red Solartex in order to carry out repairs but it was a different shade of red to that of the wing. I wrote off to Derek Hardman at Solarfilm who replied to say that they had changed the colour of Vintage Red Solartex. The more modern version is a brighter more transluscent colour but he offered me some of the old colour at a good price.

Yesterday morning I realised that I'd still got a roll of this old colour so I went down into the workshop and measured it at eight metres long! I also have four metres of ordinary Red Solartex which I'd bought to cover a Puppeteer in post-war colours but Flair ceased production before I could buy the kit and I also have two metres of "modern" Vintage Red, so the Big Guff is going to be finished in red Solartex. Perhaps two different shades of red, but red it will be! I have too many other projects to occupy my time, both aeromodelling and non-aeromodelling, so speed and practicality trump authenticity but it will be a much more cheerful sight at the flying field than Olive Drab to say the least! Once more a big thank you to all who offered their advice on using tissue and dope.

The roll on the left is the later shade of Vintage Red, the central roll is old Vintage Red and the right-hand roll is standard opaque Solartex Red. The Super Sixty is covered in the more modern Vintage Red and the Tomboy's flying surfaces and rudder are covered in the older colour. We were all much younger then.

three shades of red.jpg

super 60 repaired 1.jpg

double sized tomboy.jpg

P.S. I 'll be ordering some shrinking dope anyway. I am building a Sharkface and plan to finish the wing in tissue over doculam.

Happy Landings Gentlemen!

Thread: Is it just me or do we all take ages to do things?
07/11/2019 13:03:31

harvard (1).jpg

harvard (6).jpg

harvard (3).jpg

Pictures as promised.

07/11/2019 13:01:40

Well perhaps not but I never seem to have enough time to do everything!

Stevo restored this Flair Harvard in 2015. **LINK** I think he advertised it on eBay, leastways I bought it sometime in 2015. I recall picking it up in a south London supermarket car park when I was on my way home in the two "tonner" to pick up my furniture. It came complete with five servos and a battery.

Fitting the engine, an OS61 FS Surpass, was not straight forward but I finally got it into the model yesterday and flashed it up on the Great Mate stand. i need to adjust the throttle throw because I could not stop the engine from running. I had to resort to the old trick of chucking a rag into the prop!

Once I've sorted that out and dealt with a grumbling aileron servo, I plan to maiden the model.

I'll attach a few pictures of the model later for your entertainment. The model is a credit to Stevo. My French clubmates think that I built it but I'm not going to tell them who did! cheeky

Edited By David Davis on 07/11/2019 13:05:50

Thread: Which servos for a Boomerang & a Nova 40
06/11/2019 10:26:48
Posted by Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:49:42:

"Futaba are the Volkwagen of radio controlled equipment!"

Expensive and unreliable? devil

PS does that make Hitec the Honda of RC?

Edited By Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:51:18

I have a 21 year-old VW LT28. It has covered nearly 400,000 kilometres. It was not expensive to buy and apart from a broken starter motor has proved to be eminently reliable.cheeky

van with little friend (small).jpg

06/11/2019 10:23:00
Posted by Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:23:05:

" ... "Esaki Super Flite only weighs 21gsm."

It'll be a bit more when you've got fuel proofer and paint and dope on there, surely?

Standard non vintage film is around 65g/m2 (not that you'd use it on this, although I probably would).

'Tex is easy, although a bit pricey, but, you don't need to buy dope or very much fuel proofer."

Edited By Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:23:39

Thanks for the info Nigel. I don't intend to use paint on the model, I intend to use coloured tissue so there's a weight saving there and tissue and dope is not that expensive.

As for Solartex I've got quite a bit in stock but most of it is reserved for other projects, if I live long enough! However, I have 2-3 metres of Solartex which is either Dark Green or Olive Drab for which I have no immediate purpose! wink

06/11/2019 08:52:38

Thank you for the responses so far gentlemen but it has prompted a few more questions.

1. After applying a coat of sanding sealer do I then apply the tissue and 2-3 coats of thinned dope or do I apply 2-3 coats of thinned dope first then attach the tissue to the substrate using thinned dope?
  2. What is the Andrew Calcutt way JD8?
  3. Weight considerations. Do I use the sanding sealer full strength and subsequent coats of dope thinned 50/50?

The alternative to using tissue would be to use Solartex which weighs 95 grammes per square metre. Esaki Super Flite only weighs 21gsm.

Thread: Which servos for a Boomerang & a Nova 40
06/11/2019 06:51:16

I'll go along with Nigel and Ash's advice.

Any "standard" size servos from a reputable manufacturer will suit these models. I nearly always use Hitec 311s but my club uses Futaba S3001s in its trainers and has never had a problem with Futaba equipment. Futaba are the Volkwagen of radio controlled equipment!

Having said that I have been using Corona micro servos from Hobby King in a Baron, so far with great success. Perhaps their standard size equivalent may prove suitable for your models. **LINK**

I do a fair bit of instructing and have flown both of these trainers.The Boomerang is my favourite ARTF trainer, its semi symmetrical wing section allows it to fly well in a breeze once the trainee has acquired a little experience and confidence.

06/11/2019 06:30:43

I am building Dr Walt Good's "Big Guff," one of the very first radio controlled model aeroplanes which first flew in 1938.

I have built the fuselage which is completely covered in 1/32" sheet balsa. I am toying with the idea of covering the fuselage in coloured tissue but have not used this method for nearly sixty years so I have a few questions to ask the cognoscenti.

1. I am advised that I should give the fuselage in 2-3 coats of full strength nitrate shrinking dope before attaching the tissue using 50/50 dope and cellulose thinners but should I use a sanding sealer first?
  2. I have a collection of Hamilton Perfection brushes which date from my time as a painter and decorator. Should I use one of these to apply the dope or is there a better alternative?

I will be using Esaki Super Flite tissue from Mike Woodhouse of Free Flight Supplies and I intend to fuel-proof the structure using a varnish.

I am also building a "Sharkface" and I'm going to try using tissue over doculam for its wing. If it's successful I may even cover the flying surfaces of the Big Guff in the same way.

Picture of the Big Guff's fuselage below. It's 5'4" long with a maximum depth of 10.5" and a maximum width of 6.5". (163 cms x 27 cms X 17 cms.)

completed fuselage port.jpg

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
05/11/2019 16:06:15

Seven. All glow powered and balsa and ply except for one electric foamy. Another is in the course of completion and a ninth awaits minor repairs.

Thread: Junior 60 build advice
01/11/2019 05:48:51

1. I've built threeof these and I've always glued the tail surfaces to the fuselage.

2. I've always covered mine in Solartex or nylon. These coverings are strong but heavy they are also the most popular covering for Junior 60s. Film is much lighter. Apparently film from Hobby King, known colloquially as "Chinafilm" or "Chinakote," is very good but I've never used it. Oracover, sold as Profilm in England, is also very good but more expensive than the Solarfilm with which you're familiar. Solarfilm isn't produced anymore but they are selling off old stock here; **LINK**

3. i have always used standard servos in my Junior 60s, Futaba 148s or Hitec 311s but smaller servos will probably be alright. Someone with greater knowledge of servo capabilities will probably come along to advise. Within reason weight is not an issue with Junior 60s.

4. You'll probably be alright with your battery box as it is. Picture of my electrified Junior 60 below as well as one of a Junior 60 I built powered by a Graupner motor and NiCads held by my much younger self!

5. As for elastic bands I believe the general rule is to use bands which are half with length of the chord when they're not under tension. The conventional wisdom is to use six bands, four diagonally and two inline.

Finally, you don't live far from Cocklebarrow Farm. SAM 35 hold rallies there three times a year. You might find the events interesting. **LINK**

junior 60 nose (1).jpg

junior 60 nose (2).jpg

junior 60 2.jpg

junior 60 in flight.jpg

Thread: Anyone got a Seagull Boomerang 40
30/10/2019 17:56:55

The first Boomerang did not belong to me. I used it to teach the owner how to improve his flying. It used the standard blue motor mount which came with the kit but I had to file away the inner surfaces of the mount to accomodate the motor which was an Irvine 40.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us