By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Complete-a-Pac P-47 Thunderbolt
24/05/2019 06:28:42

Morning Rodney and welcome to the forum from me in La Belle France!

I'm assuming that you want to build the P47 with a view to flying it some time. As Kevin and Percy have said, the P47 is not a model for the novice builder or flyer but you could always learn to fly on something slower and more stable before moving on to the P47. This after all was what the real P47 pilots had to do.

So I would suggest the following:

1. Have a look at the aeromodelling clubs in your area. If you live in England,Wales or, I believe, Northern Ireland, here's the link.**LINK**
  2. If you live in Scotland this is the link. **LINK**
  3. Go and visit the clubs which are local to you, don't be afraid to ask them about radios, models, electric motors, engines etc, most active aeromodellers are only too willing to give advice.
  4. Join the club which appeals to you most, that way you'll be insured. Many clubs have their own trainer which beginners can fly on a "buddy-box," a system of linking two transmitters so that an instructor can give you control by holding down a sprung button or lever. He will be able to regain control by taking his finger off the button as soon as you begin to make a horlicks of things, which you will do.
  5. These days you can buy ready-made trainers known as ARTFs which stands for "Almost Ready To Fly." There are two main types: those made from traditional balsa and plywood and those made from a sort of expanded polystyrene foam. Most "foamies" are electric powered and usually come complete with motor, servos and speed controller but you will need to buy a transmitter, receiver, flight batteries and a charger. If you buy a balsa and ply trainer, in addition to the transmitter and receiver, you will need to buy servos, an electric motor, flight batteries and a speed controller as well. If you opt for a glow plug engine, you will need a battery for the receiver, fuel and starting equipment. Your local club members will be pleased to explain things and serviceable second hand equipment is often available.
  6. I am currently teaching two beginners, one English and one French, how to fly using an electric powered foamie" We Can Fly," and a battered old ARTF trainer powered by an Irvine two-stroke engine . Pictures below.primary 40 (2).jpgwe can fly.jpg
  7. Finally let's get back to building, which is an activity I enjoy immensly. The idea of being able to build your own unique model even if it's a commonplace model on flight lines all over the country, really appeals to me. There seems to be a revival in interest in building. My French trainee pilot and another lad at the club who can fly but who has never built anything, want to build a Baron trainer in order to fly in La Coupe Des Barons next year. This is a competition for a very basic, funny-looking trainer in which quite a few of the entries are wrecked at the end of the day! Scoll down to "Video Coupe 2018" here and you'll see what I mean.https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons I have offered to help them build a Baron. I am sure you will find someone at you local club who will be able to help you. Complete-A-Pacs are not difficult to build but if I were you I'd learn to fly first, then build a Chris Foss WOT 4 which is a great flyer and second model and then build the P47. Just my two pennorth.

Edited By David Davis on 24/05/2019 06:33:17

Edited By David Davis on 24/05/2019 06:34:06

Thread: Glitches and crashes
22/05/2019 14:10:48

My own story also concerns Spektrum. In brief I bought a Spektrum DX6i when they first came out, which was no trouble other than a jammed rudder rate switch, a common fault. This was repaired free of charge and by return by Horizon Hobbies.

In 2015 having sold my house in England, having retired to rural France and being well-wedged, I bought a new DX9, keeping the DX6i as a slave for beginners. The DX9 continued to perform well until a couple of years ago when I switched on at the flield to find that although the screen lit up, the transmitter failed to function. As Horizon Hobbies had closed all of their Eurpoean workshops except the German one in Barsbuttel, I sent it there for repair. They were overwhelmed with work not having recruited sufficient technicians to deal with the increased work-load. After several weeks, when they did not answer my emails or phone calls, I speak German quite well incidentally, they sent it to HQ in the USA where it was repaired within two days and sent back.

Then one fine winter's day earlier in the year I was flying my SLEC Fun-Fly. I'll admit I was chucking it about a fair bit when the engine hesitated then cut in a knife-edge climb. I prepared to level the wings and stick the nose down but I had no response and the model crashed to destruction.

So, feeling that the crash may have been due to pilot error, I dragged out my Junior 60. I was searching for lift over a wood when the model went into an uncontrollable spiral dive. Seeing that I had crashed two models in consecutive flights I deduced that I had a problem with the transmitter. I sent it off to Logic RC where a new RF board was fitted. Since getting it back from Logic it has performed faultlessly and because I still had the DX6i, I could continue flying with minimal disturbance while the DX9 was away.

I am left to conclude that some Spektrum transmitters are not reliable. I never had such problems with Sanwa or Futaba FM gear in the pre 2.4 GHz days, and if my DX9 fails again, I will not be replacing it with another Spektrum transmitter.

Please don't tell anybody that I've crashed a Junior 60! blush

Thread: Trouble contacting Laser engines
21/05/2019 13:40:51

Best wishes Jon. I hope things go well.

Thread: What a sick world we live in
20/05/2019 07:20:09
Posted by Percy Verance on 20/05/2019 06:39:14:

.............. There's much to be said for reintroducing National Service...

The army doesn't want people like that!

Thread: Suggestions for vintage model
17/05/2019 16:34:14

I like Vic Smeed's Ethereal Lady myself but most people prefer the Mamselle. I'd strengthen the wing a little for r/c.

ethereal lady.jpg

Thread: Coupe Des Barons.
12/05/2019 17:50:01

Work in progress on the second Baron.

Wing built as per Super 60 as mentioned above with just three spars as opposed to the seven spars on a standard Baron. The spars have been reinfoced with carbon fibre tows and I have used full depth plywood dihedral bracing. I also sheeted the lower wing between the leading edge and the first spar producing a D-section leading edge. The wing is very light but rigid.

The nose of the fuselage has been reduced by 2 cms to make allowance for the extra weight of the 52 four-stroke and I intend to fit the servos in the back.

lightweight wing (1).jpg

lightweight wing 4.jpg

P.S. There are restrictions on the power of electric motors Don, 825 Watts. Scroll down to "Reglement 2019" here for details. **LINK**

Certainly several of the electric-powered models went well last year, though the podium places went to pilots using the OS 35 AX, besides, I cannot work up much enthusiasm for electric motors Don, guess I'm just an old rocker!

Thread: Tell us about your most embarrassing stories from the field...
06/05/2019 16:16:46
Posted by brokenenglish on 06/05/2019 14:27:46:
Posted by David Davis on 06/05/2019 13:09:07:
Posted by David P Williams on 06/05/2019 11:02:57:

Hi David - I think the old age is creeping up on you! You gave us the same stories on page 1 of this thread cheeky

You are probably right David, I'm starting to repeat myself. Old age probably accounts for the wonky wing too!

I think we've got a problem of nervous, elderly instructors...

No I never get nervous flying model aeroplanes. If I can build them I can repair them. If I don't want to repair them they make excellent kindling for the wood burner. wink

06/05/2019 13:09:07
Posted by David P Williams on 06/05/2019 11:02:57:

Hi David - I think the old age is creeping up on you! You gave us the same stories on page 1 of this thread cheeky

You are probably right David, I'm starting to repeat myself. Old age probably accounts for the wonky wing too!

06/05/2019 10:47:01

Story 1. I put my first r/c model, a St Leonard's Models "Gemini," into a tree while learning to fly. I did not realise that when flying towards you left is right and right is left! Years later I built a second Gemini converted to electric flight, just to prove to myself that I could fly it. I sold it on to a clubmate.

finished gemini 1.jpg

Story 2. I used to have a Detroit Custom Cruiser powered by an OS 40FS Surpass and guided by a Sanwa Conquest radio. On the Conquest transmitter the on-off switch is in the centre of the box. I was bringing the model into land and reached over with my thumb to pull the throttle trim back but over-reached and switched off the transmitter! The model went mad and ended up in the top of a tree again. This time I hired a tree surgeon to recover it. Cost me £20.

Story 3. This also concerns trees. The picture below, taken in 2009, shows your humble servant at Forton Aerodrome, the home of Shropshire Model Flying Club, with his Flair Hooligan powered by an Irvine 46. I was enjoying flying it when the model hit the upper branches of the trees in the background. It bounced off, executing the most perfect knife edge at the same time! I remember pushing the throttle wide open and the bold Irvine responded! I flew it back to a perfect landing trailing the foliage you can see in my hand from the undercarriage!

The other model in the picture is my Radio Queen. On a later occasion, I was using a buddy box to teach my girlfriend how to fly. She flew it into the same trees! My fault, I should have re-taken control before she hit them but my depth perception has never been very good. I had to hire a tree surgeon to rescue it. Cost me £80! ) Different tree surgeon! Landing practice on my current club's 10 metre wide runway has improved things!

I sold both models before retiring to France. I now wish I hadn't. The Radio Queen was perfect for giving nervous elderly beginners their first experience of radio-controlled flight and the Hooligan was great fun in a hooliganish sort of way.

I sold it to a Brummie who was going to take his A Test with it.

Best of luck with that!

Flair Hooligan

Finally did you hear the one about the modeller with sixty years building experience who made a simple trainer wing with 2cms more dihedral on one side than the other? No? I expect he's keeping quiet about that! blush

Thread: please can you identify this plane
04/05/2019 08:56:51

Yes it's a Detroit Custom Cruiser produced by the much-missed Powerplanes International who also produced a nice Maule Super Rocket. I used to have a DCC. I had an OS 40 Surpass in mine. It was the second model I put into a tree! blush

Thread: I know that this is a long shot but...
04/05/2019 07:05:59

Yes John. Very interested if you'd like to sell one!

I ran British motorcycles throughout my youth and early maturity so getting a Laser to run should be within my competence!

Edited By David Davis on 04/05/2019 07:31:10

03/05/2019 11:08:04

My sporting upbringing will not allow me to compete with an oversized engine angel especially since I have volunteered to give a prize to the leading pilot in La Coupe who uses a fourstroke engine! It will take the form of a big box of balsa and maybe some glue!

In the unlikely event that the leading four-stroke pilot is me, I will give the prize to the second finisher!

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
02/05/2019 06:14:55

I took my Baron, "Boris," to the club's flying field yesterday. I had re-engined it with a Magnum 52FS and was practising low level flight, not my strongest suite, for a competition I will be entering in September. Only the French could organise a competition for three-channel trainers! The engine ran very well.

baron ready for the coupe (2).jpg

baron ready for the coupe (3).jpg

Thread: I know that this is a long shot but...
01/05/2019 06:13:45

Having inspected my Laser 62 I see that it has "62" stamped into the mounting lugs. I thought of filing the number off and entering the competition with an over-sized engine.devil

By last night, having reached the stage where the fuselage, wing and tailplane had been built, I put them all together to admire my handywork as you do! I then went outside to bring in the washing. Having come back into the workshop I looked at the model again and thought, "That starboard wing looks a lot closer to the table than the port wing." I cleared the table of debris and found that after sixty years experience of building model aircraft, I'd built one wing with 2cms (just over 3/4" more dihedral than the other! Divine retribution?

Only two things comfort me:

1. The competition is not till September.

2. My camera battery is flat and refuses to take a charge so I cannot show you the evidence!

Now where's that carving knife. angryangryangry

PS. I'd thought of running a PAW Shaun but I'm a fourstroke man at heart.

30/04/2019 14:53:22

I've got a Laser 62. Mmmm...devil

30/04/2019 12:38:25

As many of you know I will be entering la Coupe Des Barons, (The Barons' Cup,) in September. **LINK** For this year's event the size of eligible four-stroke engines has been increased from a 40 to a 52. I have already re-engined the model I used last year, Boris, with a Magnum 52.

baron ready for the coupe (2).jpgI am in the process of building a second Baron in case I plant Boris just before the event! blush

I plan to finish it in inter-war RAF colours and although I have an OS 52FS ready to install, I thought that as an Englishman flying a model in RAF colours it would be "ubercool," as young people say, if it could be powered by an English engine.

I'm not interested in running a two-stroke and I realise that the Laser 45 and Laser 50 are rather rare but if anyone has one in running condition which they are prepared to part with, I'd be interested.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
29/04/2019 07:20:57

SUA? Sports Utility Aircraft?

Interestingly enough, here in France each model has a seperate number, and I thought that the weight limit was 800 grammes but old age, seventy-one, plays tricks with the memory! smiley All of my models are well over 800 grammes anyway.

I assume that if you sell a model to another person you have to remove the number and he has to register it again.

Picture of my foamy electric trainer's number below.

number.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 29/04/2019 07:22:04

Thread: U/C fixing
26/04/2019 11:46:53
Posted by Mike T on 26/04/2019 10:14:20:
Posted by Allan Bennett on 25/04/2019 20:50:55:

A friend of mine at the flying club used that solution, but the trouble is the nylon bolts keep breaking almost every landing. He wants to use larger diameter nylon bolts, but the captive nuts are inaccessible so he can't change them until the bottom plate comes off again.

An old friend had a Wot4 with the u/c bolted this way. A less than perfect landing was accompanied by a sharp 'click' followed by many expletives.

Proper nylon bolts will snap near the head as Don says and I'm convinced that coloured ones are worse due to being adulterated by the pigment, so I always use the 'natural' (off-white) type.

You could try using the bolts made by SLEC, which seem more flexible. I'm pretty sure these are polythene or polypropylene.

That's been my experience too Mike T! I use black bolts for wing bolts and white bolts for the landing gear. smiley

Thread: Hi, I'm Robin
22/04/2019 09:23:47

Welcome Robin from a fellow builder! Though I have an electric model and appreciate its usability, I'm an i/c man through and through, fourstrokes for preference!

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
14/04/2019 07:37:04
Posted by Paul Marsh on 13/04/2019 16:24:39:

" I have around 580 models, think there are 4 that need repairing or finishing off..."

I think that Paul was using hyperbole, a deliberate exaggeration to express effect, e.g, "I could eat a horse between two mattresses!"

If he does have "around 580 models," I for one, would be interested in finding out what they all were and where he stores them!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
Revoc
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us