By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lest We Forget.
11/11/2018 20:19:12

My grandfather's cousin was not so lucky. Killed in his sleep by a counter-battery shell.

david john brutus davies grave.jpg

11/11/2018 12:20:30

inconnu.jpgfour unknown german dead.jpgunknown american soldier.jpgnine soldiers of the great war..jpg

Edited By David Davis on 11/11/2018 12:21:58

Thread: Plan of First Balsa Model Aircraft with IC Power
07/11/2018 13:59:16

The Guff was an earlier free flight model with a six foot polyhedral wing. **LINK**Don't they call that a proof of concept or something?

The Big Guff was an eight foot radio controlled model with a straight dihedral. I hope to start building mine within the next fortnight.

Thread: IC Models-Should we be worried?
04/11/2018 06:02:31
Posted by Nigel R on 03/11/2018 22:40:18:
ChrisB.

Add irvine to that list. And enya. At least.

Generally they all worked pretty good if left alone after setting up.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the list I gave earlier, I'd forgotten about Webra!

"If you chose a reputable make of engine: OS, Irvine, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, Enya, Laser, Saito even ASP and SC, given proper running in, they'll give long and reliable service."

So what have we learned from the accumulated wisdom of previous posts.

1. That this is an ageing hobby and supplies of traditional material, Solartex and new two-stroke engines for example, are diminishing due to falling demand as more and more traditional modellers go to that great flying field in the sky or change over to the convenience of electric power for smaller models and the alleged superior reliability of petrol engines for larger ones.
  2. That some of us don't like to get our hands or models dirty so prefer to fly the cleaner electric powered or petrol powered models referred to above, but it's a free country isn't it?
  3. That supplies of methonal-based glow fuel are diminishing with falling off in demand.
  4. That the youth of the country are not interseted in aeromodelling and certainly that they are not interested in spending all winter building a Super 60 from scratch when you can buy an ARTF Boomerang or even a drone for a £100 and have it in flying condition within a week. Besides they will have to acquire the skills to compete in a much more competitive jobs market than that which we entered when we were young, so they're concentrating on their education and do not have the time for aeromodelling.

As an example of the modern situation I offer you the flight line at my club yesterday afternoon. It was a calm sunny day and I decided to take just the one model, my eight-foot Senior Telemaster (STM) powered by a Thunder Tiger four-stroke. There were nine pilots there; six of us of retirement age, a retired Legionaire in his thirties, a lad in his twenties, Jean-Elie, who is a competent pilot and the son of one of the retirees but whom we had not seen for nearly a year, and a child aged nine. My STM with its eight-foot wingspan was by far the biggest model and the nine-year-old started asking me questions about it. Jean-Elie soon joined him. Both were surprised and impressed when I told them that I had built it myself. I had to explain what Solartex was.

Of the nine models on the flight-line all were ARTFs except my Senior Telemaster: two four-channel trainers were powered by OS 46s, the other six were electric powered. Of those one was a high-performance powered glider, the others foamie sports models.

Of the nine pilots there, only three of us had the skill to be able to build a traditional model.

Does this matter? No! When I'm dead or too wracked by the illnesses of old age to be able to fly I shall be beyond caring. Our club makes its own glow fuel so I'll be alright there and have you seen how cheaply you can buy an OS 61SF on eBay recently? wink

03/11/2018 17:58:25
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/11/2018 16:22:56:

David

As you might imagine, my Slovenian is lacking. However, after working for three years with a Romanian girl during the course of my (part time) work with a National Charity, I have learned to swear in Romanian.......

It might come in handy one day........

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/11/2018 16:27:42

I can swear in French!

I have some electric powered model aeroplanes. At the moment I have two ARTFs and an electric powered Junior 60 which I use for training nervous, wobbly, elderly beginners. When I imported the Telemasters my favourite was an electric powered Telemaster 40, a six-foot, (1.8 metre) trainer, the second largest in the photograph, so I don't regard myself as fundamentally opposed to electric flight.

Team Telemaster

Similarly I prefered my Baron when it flew on electric power compared to when it flew with a "nitro" motor.

boris in flight.jpg

Having said that I like the challenge of setting up an i/c engine. I have just spent the afternoon flying my four-stroke powered Senior Telemaster, flying lazy horizontal eights using the rudder to change direction and the throttle to change height, the Thunder Tiger 90 chuffing away like a good un. An electric powered model would not have had the same attraction.

Concerning engines cutting out in flight. This is usually due to inadequate running-in in my experience. That and notorious engine butchers who are forever fiddling with the needle valves when they don't know what they're doing. If you chose a reputable make of engine: OS, Irvine, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, Enya, Laser, Saito even ASP and SC, given proper running in, they'll give long and reliable service. However, even these fine engines may have a fit of the sulks if the carburetter is blocked with debris or if the fuel is so old that it is incombustible. (Put some petrol into it!) For me, setting up an engine is an attractive part of the hobby and I don't mind getting my model or my hands dirty!

The Slovenian blokes in the video which I posted, had a brand new engine, inadequately run-in in my view, either that or the fuel tank was too small. A bit more time in the air and it'll be fine. Mind you, if your experience of model aircraft engines is limited to MDS or Leo engines, no wonder that you have a contrary opinion!

Edited By David Davis on 03/11/2018 18:28:04

03/11/2018 13:21:32
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/11/2018 12:26:35:

I notice it's fitted with of those there *nitro* engines too David..... I wonder if they offer any advantages over a glow engine.

If it had a model diesel engine fiited, might that be a no nitro engine I wonder?

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/11/2018 12:28:19

Bear in mind that they are foreign gentlemen Perce! How good's your Slovenian?

03/11/2018 12:02:09

I can top that!

**LINK**

Thread: Problems I'm having
03/11/2018 06:20:24

Talking of trees I used to have a Flair Hooligan, Flair's answer to the WOT 4, powered by an Irvine 46. Having treed a couple of models in the past I was annoyed when I saw the it hit the top branches of a tree. My fault of course. However, I gave it full throttle and the engine responded, good engines those Irvines, and the model performed a superb knife edge as it escaped from the clutches of the branches. I flew it back to the patch and landed, the model trailing foliage from its undercarriage!

Picture of your humble servant, the Flair Hooligan and the foliage below. The offending tree is in the background.

Curiously enough, the Radio Queen behind me was also flown into the same tree by my girlfriend when she was on the buddy box. My fault of course. It cost me £80 to hire a tree surgeon to get it down!

Wish I'd never sold that Hooligan now!

Edited By David Davis on 03/11/2018 06:21:03

Thread: Slowing down a Boomerang II trainer
30/10/2018 05:57:21

I agree entirely with Martin. The Boomerang II is my favourite trainer, its semi-symmetrical wing section gives it a wide speed envelope and makes it easier to fly in a wind. Try slowing it to stall speed at high altitude so that you become used to its slow speed behaviour and stalling characteristics, then you will be able to reduce speed on the landing approach with the elevator.

Thread: Building, when does it become too expensive to fly
26/10/2018 13:08:51
Posted by Don Fry on 26/10/2018 11:22:14:

I've seen one of those repaired in an hour or so, simply put doublets on the outside of the fuselage, no sanding, radiused corners, nothing, then a coat of crackle finish hammerite. Flying the next day.

I was too busy painting the outside of the house to have the time to repair it. In fact I've just finished painting the entire upper storey in the last five minutes. yes

I gave the trainer to my trainee who has an enginereing background. He is thinking about how to repair it. The model crashed because I failed to regain control quickly enough while tutoring, shame really as the Boomerang is a nice flier and my Enya 50 powered it perfectly. It's broken back to the trailing edge former and beyond. The Enya seems to have something inside it so I will have to strip it to investigate.

26/10/2018 11:11:58
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/10/2018 11:03:09:

... **Trainers should never be an investment, not unless you are classified as a high risk taker! Ideally they should should be well maintained but battered, ugly, patched, badly re-covered mongrels that no-one could love. Crashing them can only improve the appearance. Save the pride and joy bit for when you are confident of a good landing!

Something like this you mean Bob?

primary 40 (3).jpg

When they get to this stage however ...

enya 50 and boomerang.jpg

Thread: Majestic Major (electric) build.
26/10/2018 07:39:56
Posted by David Mellor on 25/10/2018 21:07:44:

Hi David

According to Sullivan, the 504 red & yellow Gold-N-Rods are good for models up to 10 pounds.

I'm aiming at a much lower flying weight than 10 pounds, hence the 504 red & yellow choice.

I'll be disappointed if it comes in at over 10 pounds!

OK. I'll use one in my Big Guff. That won't weigh 10lbs either!

25/10/2018 20:36:06

I'm surprised that you're not using the larger blue rod on a model of this size David.

Thread: Building, when does it become too expensive to fly
25/10/2018 20:04:27
Posted by Don Fry on 25/10/2018 19:54:05:...

... I've just spent a couple of years failing to teach someone to fly, with his dreams. Yet in the same years, taught four kids to fly, no dreams, no problems.

My experience is similar Don. Kids learn to fly fairly quickly, older beginners take much longer to learn. Some never get the hang of it.

24/10/2018 11:58:28
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 24/10/2018 09:12:51:

... David, you wont need anything excessive on a model like that as its not exactly a rocketship. I would say that anything 6-9kg standard size would be plenty.

Which servos from the Hitec range would you recommend Jon?

24/10/2018 09:07:12

When I retired to France in 2015 there was a clubmate called René, a professional violinist who had once played with the Moscow Philharmonic and who used to hold us all spellbound with stories of his life in Russia. He was a hopeless pilot, continually damaging a succession of foamy electric powered gliders, but by repute a very accomplished amateur carpenter. He was dying of lung cancer which was unsurprising as he smoked one roll-up off another. One autumn Sunday he gave all of his model gear to the club and drove back to his native Belgium where he died the following spring.

Then one day the club's president, Roger Aubard, told me that he had a "quarter scale kit of a Nieuport 17" which René had given to him but Roger felt that he did not have the time to complete it so he wanted to give it to me.Very flattering! Full of excitement I went round to Roger's house only to discover that it wasn't a quarter scale Nieuport but a one third scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel! The basic fuselage has been superbly built and forms an interesting ornament in the corner of my room but the rest remains to be built.

I had never even thought of ever building a model as big and complex as a 1/3 scale Camel and I have a number of other projects to finish before getting round to building it, but if it ever does get built, I will certainly not be the the test pilot! Roger Aubard once competed in the French National Championships, he can fly the thing!

Er... what servos would you recommend for a model this size?

Thread: Acro Wot Laser
22/10/2018 11:00:33

Thanks Jon.

I'll put the 80 into my BE2e when that finally gets built, and I'll put a 70 into the Acrowot. I have three 70s to chose from, two of them brand new and un-run!

22/10/2018 06:29:41

Any views on mounting a Laser 80 to this model?

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
22/10/2018 05:32:59

Talking of ornithology, while painting the outside of my house I distinctly heard the sound of migrating cranes. Harbingers of winter here as they make their way towards southern Spain and north Africa. As I was standing on a ladder my movements were somewhat restricted so I never actually saw any but yesterday several flocks of them flew over the flying field. Several hundred birds in each group. I even saw one group circling in a thermal before striking out southwards once they had gained altitude.

Edited By David Davis on 22/10/2018 05:42:22

21/10/2018 11:27:27
Posted by Old Geezer on 21/10/2018 09:30:54:

Returning to the thread - I have started flying i/c again after straying from the true religion for 10-15 years or so. I've hung an Irvine 46 on the front of a previously electrified ( very scruffy ) artf Wot4, which exactly suits it. Initially I was flying a couple of circuits followed by a dead stick landing - but being a Wot4, apart from my irritation there were no other problems. However I have now installed an HK on board glow driver ( the 'smart' one ) so that now the only way the motor will stop is if I want it to, or I run out of fuel. I am still flying a variety of well flown ( equally scruffy ) electric models, but now have the routine washing off of the copious quantities of black castor exhaust residue from the Irvine when I get home - not really a chore - just part of the i/c experience that I remember, however the collective wisdom up at the field is that when I buy my next gallon of fuel, it should be synthetic which will mean rather less clag to remove. (Thoughts anybody?) But, I'm glad to be back in the oily paw assoc'n, now I just have to bring some of my old glow engines out of retirement and give them a bench run in the garden.

You'll have lots of fun!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us