By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spektrum Radio repairs ?
22/03/2019 08:57:57
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 21/03/2019 18:23:34:

Doubt they did it for any other reason, that's what businesses do, at the end of the day the only thing that counts is bottom line, and if you think any different try running a business.

The bottom line will be adversely affected if customers stop using the product in sufficient numbers owing to inadequate customer service.

As for Logic RC I paid them £76 to service my DX9 and to send it back to me at my home in France. So far I've only used it in the workshop. I plan to use it at the flying field over the weekend.

21/03/2019 15:41:51
Posted by Nigel R on 21/03/2019 15:22:46:

"In my view the reason for moving all of the service and repair work to one single location in Europe is to make more profit for the owners."

Do you know this, or is it assumption?

It's an assumption based on what has happened in other areas of modern industrial practice.

21/03/2019 11:27:33

My experience is the contrary of yours Digger. Excellent service from Horizon Hobby when they were located in Harlow, kept waiting for six weeks, if memory serves, by the workshop in Barsbuttel when my DX9 transmitter packed up. They refused to answer any emails or even phone calls at the time and I can speak German pretty well. That's why I sent my transmitter to Logic RC.

In my view the reason for moving all of the service and repair work to one single location in Europe is to make more profit for the owners. By moving to one place you don't have to pay multiple rents and you can employ fewer staff. Customer service can suffer in the process. I hope that Horizon Hobbies in Germany have now recruited an adequate number of technicians to deal with the demand for repairs and servicing but after my experience I won't be giving them any more trade. In fact, if I have any further trouble with my Spektrum equipment, I'm thinking of going over to Multiplex.

PS. I never had any problems with Sanwa and Futaba FM stuff in over twenty years.

20/03/2019 08:09:40

I have recently had a problem with my DX9 transmitter. I sent it away to Logic RC who replaced the rf board and made other repairs. I will try it out this afternoon if the weather holds.

I had a problem with it a couple of years ago and sent it to Horizon Hobbies in Germany. They were inundated with repairs at the time as most or all of the other European service centres had closed. They eventually sent it to the company's headquarters in the USA where it was repaired within two days. It's a good job I'd kept my old DX6i so I could at least continue flying.

I must own to being a bit disappointed with the DX9. I had a Futaba FF6 for twelve years and never had any touble with it.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
19/03/2019 15:35:15

The following happened ten years ago when I had a part-time job for a Jaguar agent as a collection and delivery driver.

I was asked to go to Sir John Moore's Barracks in Shrewsbury to pick up a Colonel Jones's Jaguar and bring it back for a service. I drove up to the barracks in a "dump car," showed the paper work to the guard on the gate and he said, "Ah yes, Colonel Jones is expecting you, just drive onto the square and Colonel Jones will come down and give you the keys." He must have phoned the colonel while I was driving towards the square because I saw the Jag, stopped beside it and was just undoing my seat belt when I was greeted by a cheery "Good Morning!" from a woman in a colonel's uniform!

I've often wondered how many were in on the joke!

Thread: Castor oil in 4 stroke engines
17/03/2019 13:08:11

Our club offers its own fuel blend. Initially we only used 11% high quality synthetic oil in the fuel but after two or three brand new OS 46 AXs suffered serious damage we increased the oil percentage to 15% and that seemed to cure the problem. Mind you I'm not sure how well any of these engines were run in.

I am currently using Southern Modelcraft 10% nitro 15% oil in all of my engines without adverse effect. The oil content includes 2% castor. I will use straight synthetic once stocks are used up.

16/03/2019 12:30:03

What about Enyas?

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
16/03/2019 08:55:18

Ah, Sailplanes International didn't it start to produce i/c powered models under the name Powerplanes International? I recall fancying the Maule Luna Rocket stocked by a model shop in Barnstaple but someone else bought the kit before I had saved enough money to buy it. **LINK**

There was a plan several year's ago called Negative G if memory serves, which looked like the same aircraft to me. Alternatively I could buy an ARTF today, but that's not the same of course. blush **LINK**

P.S. I used to have a Detroit Custom Cruiser too. Didn't like its flying characteristics that much so sold it on.

Edited By David Davis on 16/03/2019 08:58:29

15/03/2019 20:03:52
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/03/2019 10:58:32:

Anyone remember the big St Leonards Models kits? There was a 120" thermal soarer, fibreglass fus and built up wing, was it the SuperNova? My first taste of what a good soarer was like.

My first radio controlled model aircraft in 1988, was a St Leonard's Models "Gemini." It was a 50" trainer powered by an Irvine 19 car racing engine and guided by a Sanwa Conquest radio.I built it as a three channel model but ailerons were an option. It was too fast for me as a beginner so I built a Junior 60 and put both into engine and radio into that.

I kept the plan and in 2016 built a four-channel version powered by an electric motor. I gave it to a clubmate.

finished gemini 1.jpg

Thread: Mercury Tiger Moth 33
13/03/2019 10:34:32

PS. +1 for Litespan Lowandslow, it won't warp the structure provided you get it on as tight as you can before shrinking. You will need to coat the airframe with Balsaloc, a heat sensitive glue, then iron it on. Some builders spread it on the back of the Litespan, wait for it to dry, then iron it on as you would with an ordinary flim. The weight gain is minimal. If you can't buy Balsaloc, it is said that PVA glue thinned with water makes a good substitute but I've never tried this myself. Not yet anyway. I think that your Tiger Moth finished in silver Litespan at least on the flying surfaces would look uber cool.

Picture of my Cardinal finished in Litespan attached.

veron cardinal build (5).jpg

Edited By David Davis on 13/03/2019 10:35:04

13/03/2019 09:22:59

Lowandslow, thank you for the above.

Those of us who have been in the game a few years have seen it all before. People usually turn up with a Spitfire and have to be persuaded that the real Spitfire pilots did not start their flying careers with a Spitfire so they won't either! Flying r/c is more difficult than it looks and even experienced pilots still crash. I crashed two models in consecutive flights last month, mind you the assembled wisdom reckoned that there was something wrong with my transmitter so that's gone off to the menders. Good job I kept my old DX6i not that the weather is suitable for flying at the moment.

A few years ago, when I still lived in England, a novice turned up with a beautifully built little Fokker Eindekker, dummy rigging wires, all moving tailplane and all. We persuaded him that it was not a good model to start off with and we took him up on the club's battered old trainer on a buddy box. We found out then that he was not a "natural." The Eindekker was then flown by the club's expert who struggled with it!

Eventually the Eindekker owner learned to fly and built a superb Ben Buckle Junior 60 and a Radio Queen which he enjoyed flying. This man was much older than you are Lowandslow and the older we are the more difficult it is for us to acquire new skills. That's been my experience anyway.

For my part, however skillful you are, having a vintage model in your collection gives you a nice relaxing flyer as a pleasant change to something more demanding.

13/03/2019 08:15:18

Lowandslow, a bit of unsolicited advice from me.

I understand the attraction of the Tiger Moth but I fear that as an inexperienced r/c pilot you may crash it on the first flight and that might make you "depressed!" I think that you should learn to fly first on something more robust. To this end I would recommend the following steps.

1. Join a club. Most clubs have qualified instructors and club trainers and you can find out which clubs are near you by visiting this site: **LINK** You'll also be insured once you've joined the club.
  2. These days there are Almost Ready to Fly trainers which you can assemble in a week. You could learn to fly on one of these wiithout the emotional involvement which is integral to building your own model.
  3. If you feel that you want to build a trainer try something from the Ben Buckle range. **LINK** I learned to fly on a Junior 60 but the Super 60 is a better r/c trainer.

In other words, you could learn to fly while building the Tiger Moth.

Just my two pennoth. I am not a great r/c pilot myself but I am a qualified club-level instructor in two countries and I've been flying radio controlled models since 1988 but it would take all of my limited skill to land such a fragile three channel biplane as the one you're considering. Those lower wings on bi-planes are quite close to the ground you know!

The models being flown in the video are being flown by experienced pilots.

Edited By David Davis on 13/03/2019 08:16:00

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
07/03/2019 07:16:38

Yes I used to have a little hobby business called Telemaster Sales UK, I imported kits from the USA. Initially I made a modest profit on every sale because I paid wholesale rates for the kits plus shipping from America. The six and eight-foot models were the most popular but I did sell a few twelve-foot Giant Telemasters too. Then the management of my supplier changed and they wanted ridiculous amounts of money to cover the shipping costs. They also objected to my having the name "Telemaster" in my business title.Simultaneously they changed the method of construction from the traditional kit to a slot-together arrangement and at a much higher price. So much for the much vaunted American business acumen. Their loss. I had sold over fifty kits to enthusiasts from as far afield as Serbia, Ireland, Germany and South Africa.

I still get enquiries for plans. My first Telemaster, pictured below, powered by a Merco 61, was an eight-foot Senior Telemaster with the original German wing with inset so-called "Barn Door " ailerons. I had a clubmate draw up a plan of this wing in cad so that it's available to builders who want to make a model with the original wing as opposed to the later strip aileron version.

I've never actually built a Telemaster 1800 aka Telemaster 40, Sparks built it for me, third from the left in the picture below, but I've flown the entire Telemaster range and the T40 is my favourite. I flew it frequently until the wings fell off one day when I was demonstrating it to a potential buyer! I still have the wing and if other projects will permit and I live long enough, I may build another fuselage and tailplane for it one day.

Team Telemaster

senior telemaster merco 61 up.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 07/03/2019 07:26:18

Thread: Engine mounts
02/03/2019 08:02:52

I have used self tappers on nylon engine mounts since 1988 without any problems.

Thread: Got bitten today :-(
01/03/2019 16:14:21

Long before the incident which I described earlier today, we had a noise complaint so we were all having our engines checked for noise. The treasurer at the time had an Acrowot, fitted with a 61 two stroke. He had been flying it earlier in the day and there was some unburned oil on the fuselage. Having started the engine and with the transmitter in one hand, he reached over to pick up the model, blipping the throttle at the same time to warm up the engine. The model slipped in his hand and the propeller cut through his forearm. Fortunately it was one of the first good flying days in the Spring of the year and there was a good turn out at the flying field. Someone got the first aid box and we put a bandage on his injury, then the man with the fastest car drove him to hospital.I drove his car back to his home. Lesson learned at his expense.

Edited By David Davis on 01/03/2019 16:20:40

Thread: Identification required
01/03/2019 11:30:22

There was a Chinese company called MUTUNUC if I remember correctly, which built a 10cc two stroke answering to that description in the Nineties.

Thread: Got bitten today :-(
01/03/2019 06:22:57

On a similar note we once had a club secretary Tony Salisbury who was an inexperienced pilot and who only flew electric powered models but he was a prolific builder, an excellent secretary and everybody loved him. He had built a 1/4 scale Piper Cub which he gave to a more experienced pilot, Ken Davies, for the maiden flight. The flight itself was a success but as the model was in the landing circuit it started to trail smoke! Tony was a good builder but perhaps like many of us, his soldering was not his strong suit. Whatever the case, the substantial LiPo had started to brew up well and truely but fortunately for Tony, he had built a door into the side of the model so as soon as the model stopped rolling he was able to open the door and remove the LiPo, burning his hands in the process, otherwise the model would certainly have caught fire. What was ironic was that Tony was a Senior Officer in the Fire Brigade at the time!

They're both dead now, Tony long before his time after an operation to remove a tumour on his brain. Rest in peace Tony and Ken.

Carpe diem gentlemen. Sieze the day.

Thread: DX9 problems
28/02/2019 05:18:02

Thank you Jason, Dane, Ace and Robert. I believe that mine was one of the first ones out. I bought it in 2015 when it cost me £334. I still have the box with the price label on it though I was probably given a discount. It has a single antenna.

I'll send it off to Al's Hobbies with an introductory letter. It's starting to look a bit shabby, glow fuel attacking the finish I suppose. I'll ask them to replace the affected parts if they have the spares.

27/02/2019 19:53:44
Posted by BackinBlack on 27/02/2019 19:52:15:

UK service agent is Al's Hobbies. Helpful people. Als Hobbies

Edited By BackinBlack on 27/02/2019 19:53:02

Thank you. I'll contact them.

27/02/2019 19:53:02

To insert a link you click on the thing that looks a picture of the earth sitting on a dumbell, it's just above the the first "on" in this sentence.**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Motion RC
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us