By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
04/07/2020 17:10:15

Love the Auster David!

Please provide details.

I'm finishing off the DB Sport and Scale version but mine will look like this from the outset and even worse after a few bad landings!

auster 2.jpg

Thread: Receivers
04/07/2020 13:01:14
Posted by Steve J on 04/07/2020 12:06:56:
Posted by David Davis on 04/07/2020 07:17:23:

... I have fitted one of the new AR410 four-channel receivers to both my Big Guff ... and to my venerable BE2e scale WW1 biplane ...

How many frame losses are you seeing?

Frame losses? I don't know what they are and wouldn't know where to begin looking for them! laugh

Thread: Anyone used the Spektrum AR410 or 620 receivers ??
04/07/2020 10:24:52

Quick update, I have subsequently flown the Big Guff and the BE2e with AR410 receivers without a problem.

maiden flight.jpg

be2e sunday 9th april 2017 no 1.php.jpg

04/07/2020 10:16:20
Posted by Michael Barclay on 04/07/2020 10:03:20:

It would be interesting to know which Orange rx you were using. I think some people had trouble with the 610 but the 620x has a very good reputation. Nice thing about Hobby King is you can view hundreds of reviews and if something is unreliable you will soon find out.

I can't be sure which receivers I was using in the models which crashed but I use an electric foamy trainer called a "We Can Fly" as a basic trainer for beginners.

we can fly.jpg

I was given a damaged We Can Fly by a clubmate which I restored to flying condition. I've given it to the chap who was supposed get the Junior 60. It is fitted with an Orange 615X receiver. He crashed it on take off owing to inexperience nothing to do with the receiver. I've just repaired it again because perhaps I was expecting a bit much of a trainee to be able to manage a take off in a bit of a breeze.

I have another Orange 615 X which I'm going to give away.

Thread: Air Scale UK. Fokker DVII kit
04/07/2020 09:57:32

I suppose we all have more kits and plans than we have time left to build them!

I used to live in Devon and used to like to go to the Exeter Club's end of season auction which was held on a Sunday at the end of the flying season in a local school. These auctions were stopped when the fees demanded by the school became excessive.

At one of these auctions I acquired a Fokker DVII kit produced by a company called "Air Scale UK" which I believe was based in Scotland and although I have two other unfinished projects to complete, I am considering this DVII as next winter's build. It's quite an involved structure featuring built-up tapered spars to simulate the Fokker's original form of construction but what is really unique is that it uses 1/8" dowel for the fuselage longerons presumably to simulate the steel tubing of the DVII's fuselage.

I consider this to be a potential weak point especially with my landings. wink

I could of course simply use the fuselage plan as a template and make the longerons and uprights from 1/4" square balsa strip but it occurred to me that I could use 3mm carbon fibre tube for the longerons and uprights.

Has anyone used carbon fibre tube to build a fuselage and if so which glue did you use?

The wingspan of the model is about 1.45 metres which makes the model 1/6 scale. I have several unemployed fourstrokes ranging from an OS 40 Surpass to a Thunder Tiger 54 which should match an airframe of this size.

04/07/2020 09:19:11
Posted by Michael Barclay on 04/07/2020 08:28:42:
Posted by brokenenglish on 03/07/2020 19:27:45:

For the last 8 years, I've been using Spektrum Tx with Orange receivers from HK Europe. Many, many flying hours and I've never had any problem whatsoever.

I can second that. I have half a dozen Orange R620x receivers with good range and no problems. Have seen crashes at the club with members flying Spectrum receivers blaming loss of signal.

We can only speak from our own experiences.

I lost signal while using Orange receivers resulting in the loss of my SLEC Fun Fly and a Seagull Boomerang ARTF trainer. From memory the Orange receiver had only one antenna. Perhps the had something to do with it. In the case of the Fun Fly I had witnesses observe the engine cutting out and then my total lack of control as the model crashed to the ground. That said, both models had had several previous flights without incident.

In the third case I had taken a Spektrum receiver out of my ancient and much-repaired Junior 60 and replaced it with an Orange receiver. I had arranged to hand over the model to a novice pilot that same day. We had an apparent glitch on the first flight and on the second all signal was lost and we watched the model glide free flight into a wheat field. Despite it being covered overall in orange Solartex we could not find it. I expect I'll get it back once it's been through the front end of a combine harvester! Perhaps after over thirty years of ownership it objected to being given to a new owner!

I am happy with the performance of my AR410s and given the very reasonable price can see no reason to use anything else.

04/07/2020 07:17:23

Ashley, my experience of using Orange receivers with my DX9 transmitter is the exact opposite of Broken English's. The last three models I have lost have all been fitted with Orange receivers.

I have fitted one of the new AR410 four-channel receivers to both my Big Guff, an early American vintage model with an eight-foot wingspan which took me 14 months to build, and to my venerable BE2e scale WW1 biplane which has a seven-foot wingspan and which would be heart-breaking to have to repair in the event of receiver failure. Both have performed faultlessly.

I intend to fit an AR620 to an ARTF Acrowot and to a DB Sport and Scale Auster which I have nearly finished building.

As the price of the AR410 is only £24.75 and the price of an AR620 is only £33.50, (Steve Webb prices,) I see no point in fitting anything other than these receivers to everyday sport models.

maiden flight.jpg

be 2 lampshade (small).jpg

Thread: Glider Tug Advice Needed.
30/06/2020 12:09:28

I'm afraid that my first experience of flying the tug was anything but a non event!

I had fitted the towing point in the wing about the position of the cg, as recommended in the WOT 4 XL kit. Once off the ground the glider pulled the tug upwards all the time. We spent a minute or two trying to correct matters but the attitude of the tug was all but uncontollable. Wisely, the glider pilot, who had once competed in the French National Championships, unhooked and landed but my troubles were not over yet!

I found that I had no control over the engine speed. The engine coninued to run at moderately low revs and it was all I could do keep the model in the air. Advancing and reducing the throttle had no effect, even the kill switch didn't work. In the end I dumped the towline and landed hot. The model flipped over but no harm was done. A small nut, part of the throttle pushrod had unscrewed itself, disconnecting the carburetters from the throttle servo, consequently, though the servo was working and moving the pushrod, this had no effect on the engine speed because it wasn't connected! I have since fitted a locknut and coated the threads with Loctite.

I am going to fit another glider tow relaease behind the trailing edge of the wing as others have recommended.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
28/06/2020 03:27:43
Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 26/06/2020 14:58:56:
Posted by David Davis on 25/06/2020 07:22:38:

Jon I'd like to make a plea for the return of the Laser 45 or 50 even if it's just a limited batch.

One on Ebay just now DD...wink 2

**LINK**

It sold for over £250. Too much for me. **LINK**

Thread: Ebay sellers...
28/06/2020 03:24:26

The Laser 50 I was interested in went for £256.11. Too much for me.**LINK**

Thread: Returning after a long time away
27/06/2020 09:29:15
Posted by Jim Hughes 2 on 27/06/2020 09:02:02:

Good morning all, well I’ve ordered some covering film from Hobby King and it should be here next week, I’ve also purchased some Balsa Loc - anyone used the two products and do they work well together?

Also, I’ve ordered some Carbon Fibre rod to have a play with. Could this material be used as an elevator push rod?

Wooden dowel just seems a bit old hat.

Good morning Jim. I have never used Hobby King film covering but it has an excellent reputation. However, I have used Balsa Loc with Solarfilm, Solartex and Profilm/Oracover. Generally I don't use Balsa Loc with film except on areas around the engine which are likely to get soaked in fuel and for repairs. It helps to promote adhesion. I also used it on the underside of the wings of my Big Guff because it has an under cambered or concave wing section. **LINK**

As for wooden dowel I have just found a dowel with fittings on each end which is exactly the same size required for the DB Sport & Scale Auster I'm finishing off! A lesson in not throwing anything away! Dowels are fine unless you're building an out and out patternship.

PS. The late Peter Russell who used to write in the aeromodelling press used four foot-long 1/4" balsa puhrods in his Big Guff but I'll admit that a Bug Guff is no patternship!

peter russells big guff..jpg

Edited By David Davis on 27/06/2020 09:30:16

Edited By David Davis on 27/06/2020 09:39:58

Thread: How Windy is Too Windy
27/06/2020 08:45:41

I don't fly it the wind speed is much above 15 mph and I don't fly lightly loaded models unless the windspeed is less that 10 mph. Once three of us flew our SLEC Fun Flys together in quite a blow that had arrived unexpectedly but by then we were all fairly accomplished pilots.slec fun flies! (1).jpg

fun fly apres maiden..jpg

When learning to fly I lost this Flair Piper Cub when my enthusiasm was greater than my ability to fly in a wind.

stripey flair cub.jpg

I also lost this one but can't now remember the circumstances.

old stripey flair piper cub. enya 40 up.jpg

Generally these days I follow Peter Miller's doctrine and don't fly if the windspeed is in excess of 10mph. I can fly in stronger winds but I don't find it particularly pleasant so why bother?

26/06/2020 16:05:52
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 26/06/2020 15:44:51:

Why bid before the last few seconds, it just pushes up the price?

I know someone who uses something called sniper to bid in the last few seconds. I've never wanted anything so badly. If my bid wins fine, if not, c'est la vie!

26/06/2020 15:11:55

Thanks Steve, I've bid on it.

Bertie Baron with a Laser engine, La Coupe Des Barons 2021!

bertie in flight.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 26/06/2020 15:24:01

25/06/2020 12:26:08

Jon, if you do decide to dump the 70 will you be able to give us advanced notice? I've only got three! wink

Thread: Ben Buckle Majestic Major help
25/06/2020 11:03:57

Robert Welford I'd love to see pictures of your Maj Maj and your Rohma!

FWIW my Big Guff at 96" wingspan and 8.5lbs weight (2.44 metres and 3.86kgs) it's a bit bigger than a Majestic Major. It is powered by a Laser 70. It chuffs around all day just above tick over.

If you're unable to fit a smaller engine David H I understand your decision to stay with the 91.

big guff maiden flight 1.jpg

25/06/2020 10:49:23
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2020 10:05:01:

... DD, dont get your hopes up. Its a hypothetical thing as it would be a whole new engine from scratch with very few common parts to current engines. I would like to do it, but its not going to happen...

Even I am putting an electric motor in a double sized Tomboy. I could have used any of the engines mentioned above but thought that the structure is to delicate for an i/c engine. wink

fuselage.jpg

25/06/2020 08:55:29
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 25/06/2020 08:29:53:

Sorry DD but the 45, 50 and 62 are dead and even the current 70 is on the brink as they are just not cost effective to make. Also, while they ran well, our 45/50 were too heavy and too big physically. Our current 70 shares most of their dimensions.

I would like to offer a 50 size engine, but it would have to be a whole new design to make it smaller/lighter and that is not very likely im afraid.

Well if you do get round to making that 50 Jon put me down for one and if you need someone to test a prototype I'm yer man!

25/06/2020 07:22:38

Jon I'd like to make a plea for the return of the Laser 45 or 50 even if it's just a limited batch. I know that this subject has been raised and rejected before, and I realise that you are all by yourself at the factory Jon, and that you are currently busy reviving the V twins which is where I suspect the greater profit lies.

However, I believe that there is a market for small four-strokes in vintage models and small scale models. Current choice is limited to the Saito 30 and 40 priced at £190 and £220. The smallest OS fourstroke currently being offered for sale is a 56 and that costs over £300.

I will not be buying a Saito, excellent engines though they are because I have an unemployed OS 40 Surpass sitting in a box alongside two OS 48 Surpasses plus a couple of OS 52s and a Magnum 52. So I have enough four stroke engines to suit any small vintage or scale model which I might care to build.

However, I would willingly give £230 for a Laser of the same size just for the cachet of having a small Laser in a model.

Is anyone with me?

Thread: DX9 Roller
23/06/2020 11:28:21

Thank you gentlemen, I'll look into it in a few days time.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!