By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: World Cup 2018
20/06/2018 05:28:27

I think that any English "organised louts" would be very unwise to take on the Russian police.

Thread: Balsa USA Sopwith Pup 1/6 scale
16/06/2018 17:49:56

Well there are enough Joneses in Shropshire for you to be considered as an honary Salopian but a two-stroke in a Puppeteer, must you?

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
16/06/2018 08:53:52

We held our glider weekend last weekend. This is a picture, taken at the end of the event, of some of those who participated in the event, others had already left for home. I overheard a converstion later on where the gentleman fourth from the right in the black shorts, said that he was ninety-five years old. Still flying, still driving too, nice new Peugeot estate car in white.

fin des journee des planneurs.jpg

Of course, having worked so hard to set everything up, we rewarded ourselves with a club lunch on the Friday. Note the prevalence of the pale blue club polo shirts...

club lunch journee des planneurs 2018.jpg

...and on the Sunday we held a club dinner for the wider community.

journee des planneurs dinner 2018.jpg

Gliders are not really my thing but I flew a borrowed Radian.

Thread: Hi Nitro Glow Fuel
14/06/2018 14:45:31
Posted by Martin Harris on 14/06/2018 11:21:18:
Posted by David Davis on 12/06/2018 11:34:15:

Thanks for the advice ED. I am a long way from the nearest Westons Pro-Synth supplier but I have some Southern Model Craft 85/15 straight. Guess I could add some nitro to that!

Do you have a source for obtaining nitromethane - if France is adhering to the same euro ruling, we now need a licence to hold it - or any fuel with nitro content from 30% by weight (25% by volume in typical fuel) upwards...

Our Club President seems to be able to get hold of it.

Edited By David Davis on 14/06/2018 14:45:49

14/06/2018 11:20:42

Thank you for the information gentlemen, but it does raise two further points.

1. I already have considerable stocks of Southern Modelcraft fuel, at least 50 litres, so adding nitro to straight fuel would seem to be the most cost-efficient opotion.
  2. If I choose to by fuel from any of the shops mentioned above, will any of these firms ship fuel to France which is where I live nowadays?
Thread: Flair Pup De-commissioning now Re-commissioning
12/06/2018 18:33:42

A 90 will certainly liven up the old Puppeteer but I think that it will spoil its charm. The original Sopwith Pup was fitted with only an 80 horsepower engine.Mine flew well enough with an old HP VT 49 four-stroke.

Now if it were a Pitts or Ultimate ...

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
12/06/2018 18:26:37

Will you be using Linen or Antique Solartex Chris? Linen is opaque, Antique is translucent.

Thread: Hi Nitro Glow Fuel
12/06/2018 11:34:15

Thanks for the advice ED. I am a long way from the nearest Westons Pro-Synth supplier but I have some Southern Model Craft 85/15 straight. Guess I could add some nitro to that!

12/06/2018 05:57:23

I have suggested on another thread that you could do the same thing in the UK with WOT 4s. You could restrict engine sizes as in La Coupe or go with a Formula Libre. Most flyers probably have a WOT 4 at home and you can buy an ARTF too. They are not too expensive and like La Coupe it could be quite a colourful event but you'd need to put big numbers on them as many would be finished in a classic white with Chris Foss decals colour scheme! If you used the same four tests as La Coupe: breaking balsa wood sticks; a pylon race; trying to cut a paper streamer and the limbo it could be quite a spectacle.

Having said that there is quite a bit of organisation to do. Assuming you fly in groups of ten you need ten judges to stand behind the pilots to keep score. You need a Contest Director with a first-rate public address system who can direct the time keeper to stop the clock if a potentially dangerous situation occurs. For example there was an incident when two models touched and one continued to fly with a good chunk of the tail plane missing; a dark blue model in the attached pictures. The CD felt that the model was a safety risk and ordered it to land. There being no shortage of broken pieces of 1/4" square balsa by this stage of the competition, the model was repaired and the repair was covered in gaffer tape! There is a picture of the repaired model in flight in the link.

You need a time-keeper. You need a couple of fast runners to go out to retrieve downed models which have landed in potentially dangerous positions according to the CD. In that situation the CD stopped the clock and directed the remaining competitors to cruise about at a high altitude. You may need permission from the authorities to hold the event. You need three trainers with pilots to tow the crepe paper ribbons and you need someone who is highly computer literate with a good lap top to keep score. You need a team to go out and put up notices in the surrounding countryside to direct contestants to the venue. You need a qualified first aider. You need a team of guys to erect the pylons and limbo goalpost. On the day, one of the pylons had already been installed and remained in place all day long. The second pylon was simply moved after the last pylon round had been flown and was installed as the second goalpost of for the limbo event.

Finally, bear in mind that La Coupe is an all-day event. You'd need a big club and a big venue to hold something like this. Parking, catering, there would be quite a bit to do.

Well done Vol Libre, your organisation was superb! I got talking to one of the other contestants who had competed in all fourteen Coupes. He told me that in the early Coupes quite a few people were still using FM radios and it was necessary to ensure that there were no frequency clashes. Imagine that!

Best of luck! It was a great day out.

11/06/2018 17:17:28

Agreed Don and Frank he was a good pilot though the second place man was only 8 points behind him in the end and he was about 90 points ahead of the third man. In the limbo he tried twice to get under the rope at high speed to the chants of, "Sur le dos!" (On its back!) from his supporters, or maybe they were supporters of his rivals! Just imagine the skill required to fly a three channel trainer which would be constantly trying to right itself, inverted at high speed through a goal post! He was too high with his first pass and joined the Up Elevator Club on his second. By then he had already won the competition and the model did not seem to be too badly damaged.

Yes Don, his engine did seem to rev higher than anybody else's and you are allowed to use up to 50% nitro in the competition.

As for me, I was always brought up to be careful, some would say tight, with money and the thought of spending 154€ (about £136,) on an OS 35AX and plus the cost of some fancy pipe to use it in a light-hearted competition for three channel trainers, goes against the grain! I will be campaigning an SC32 which I picked up for peanuts on eBay. I've bought a Weston pipe for it and that's extravagant for me!

If you click twice on the left-hand side of the picture you can go back two pictures and see the model in flight. At least I can do that from my PC. I don't know anything about anyone else's.blush

11/06/2018 15:05:43

Well this is the model. It looks like any other Baron to me.

**LINK**

Edited By David Davis on 11/06/2018 15:09:44

11/06/2018 14:20:41

On 2nd June I participated in La Coupe Des Barons, a competition in which all of the models were an iconic French trainer dating from 1970 which has a wingspan of 1.66 metres or 65 inches. Engines were limited to 6cc two-strokes, 7cc four-strokes or 825 Watt electric motors.

Many competitors used the OS 35AX, several had tuned pipes but there was one model there, which had a tuned pipe, but which was head and shoulders above all of the others in terms of sheer speed. I kid you not, it went vertical and in the pylon race it succeeded in in passing 63 pylons. The second fastest model could only manage 52 and the third model 50, in other words the winning model was 17% faster. It was very impressive.

I can only conclude that the fuel which the model used contained a high proportion of nitro. I was under the impression that engines using high levels of nitro were difficult to adjust and very tempramental.

I've no wish to emulate this competitor but what are the advantages and disadvantages of running glow engines on very high nitro fuels?

Thread: Coupe Des Barons.
10/06/2018 11:42:44

Ok try going to the main site and scrolling down to "Photos 2018." **LINK**

10/06/2018 10:50:54

Picture of Boris in the Pylon Race last Saturday. The white model in the picture is being flown by a fourteen year-old girl Iris Fesquet.

**LINK**

Thread: Model Fixings - excellent service again!
07/06/2018 17:11:21
Posted by John Rudd on 07/06/2018 16:38:35:

You can use silver steel as a replacement for motor shafts....its slightly harder than general mild steel and is precision ground....available in various imperial and metric sizes...I buy mine from Macc models...(google..) and it isnt expensive...only down side is, it comes in 13" lengths and you have to make your own ciclip grooves and flats....not hard tho' is it? And better than scrapping a motor....

Edited By John Rudd on 07/06/2018 16:38:57

If I had a lathe and the skills to be able to use it I'd do just that! As it is, I have decided to re-convert the model to i/c power. I have an SC 32 and a matching Weston Throttle Pipe for which I have no other purpose, but when I was dismantling the stand-off for the electric motor, I found the damaged circlip and thrust washer. I intend to enclose them in an old fashioned letter so that Model Fixings have something to work on.

07/06/2018 15:33:31

Having had the circlip fail on the electric motor I was using last Saturday while competing in La Coupe Des Barons, I contacted 4-Max, the business which sold me the motor in the first place to try to find a replacement. My motor is no longer made and the option of buying a new shaft and/or circlip wasn't available because my motor has a 4mm shaft. The modern equivalent has a 5mm shaft and there were no more spare 4mm shafts or circlips. I was advised to contact another seller but they were in the same situation.

Feeling that it would be a pity to scrap the motor for the want of a circlip I contacted Model Fixings of Nottingham, England. They have a wide range of circlips and other small parts which aeromodellers always need. I've used this company in the past and have been very impressed by the quality of their products and their standard of service. I'm certainly going to give them an order.

05/06/2018 16:44:19

You could run something similar using WOT 4s and give a packet of tea bags to the winner! cheeky

05/06/2018 08:28:25
Posted by David Ovenden on 05/06/2018 08:00:40:

David,

Where exactly in France was the event held. Site looks nice!

Ste Marie d'Alloix. A village about seventeen miles to the south of Chambéry in the Savoie. The event is held on the rugby field of the neighbouring village, Le Touvet.

There was still some snow on some of the surrounding mountain peaks even on 2nd June. Apparently it all melts away in July and returns in November.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
04/06/2018 10:59:45
Posted by Tomtom39 on 04/06/2018 10:39:05:

Anything special about it?

Yes the price!

A new Laser 70 costs £209 and a new Laser 80 costs £229!

04/06/2018 08:31:09

I participated in La Coupe Des Barons in South-East France on Saturday. It's only a light-hearted competition but it was the first time that I have ever participated in any model aeroplane competition at all. Full Battle Report over on RC Universe, posts numbers 5984 and 5987 but in brief I flew too low in the first round and the model flipped onto its back without damage, in the second and third rounds I ran out of battery and had to land before the end of each round, and just before the final round, the "limbo," a small circlip failed at the back of the electric motor and the propeller wouldn't turn so I had to "abandone."**LINK**

I finished 53rd out of 68 entrants but at least I wasn't the first person from my group, Serie 6, to crash, neither did I crash on the first take off through nerves, though my hands were shaking when I assembled the model, neither did I finish dead last, so I achieved three out of my four objectives!

I plan to enter next year but this time probably with a model with an i/c engine, certainly something capable of flying for over 15 minutes rather than the 8-10 minutes I was getting from my 2200 LiPos, and next time I'll stay in a hotel. Two nights of sleeping or rather not sleeping in the back of a van have taken their toll on my seventy year-old body. face 24

Picture of the Barons lined up for the static judging. I finished in eighteenth position in the static! My model is the second one from the right in the second row. The lilac and yellow model beside it was the first one from my group to crash in the competition however, the pilot repared it using gaffer tape inter alia and flew all four rounds of the competition.

coupe des barons 2018.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues