By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davis

Here is a list of all the postings David Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New year
29/12/2018 07:48:03

Such a pity that the pilot in my BE2e is firmly glued to his seat!

29/12/2018 06:25:18
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/12/2018 22:44:10:
Posted by leccyflyer on 28/12/2018 15:40:48:

That's a bit of a pain and a horrible thought for a scale model. Can you put that registration under the wing?

Visible at 30cm or legible? Put it under the cockpit like a pilot's name, or under the fin like a manufacturers serial.

I've just had a look at the FFAM's website and surprisingly it only has to be visible at 30cms, and for scale models it is permisible for the number not to be immediately visible but it should be easily accessible.

Models of less than 800 grammes are exempt from this ruling.

"...en France, le numéro d’enregistrement doit être apposé de façon à être visible à 30 cm.

Cela peut être sur une étiquette, un marquage au feutre ou par tout autre moyen.
Il n’y a pas besoin de plaque métallique coûteuse.

Pour les maquettes, il est admis que le numéro soit indiqué de façon non visible directement mais accessible facilement."
28/12/2018 20:08:28
Posted by leccyflyer on 28/12/2018 15:40:48:

That's a bit of a pain and a horrible thought for a scale model. Can you put that registration under the wing?

As far as I understand it, the number has to be visible from 30cms. The rules don't state that the number cannot be on the underside or inside the cockpit!

Thread: Boomerang didn't come back
28/12/2018 13:00:34
Posted by Ian Jones on 28/12/2018 12:30:38:...

...It's a repair job alright!

I've given mine to my trainee to repair! cheeky

Thread: New year
28/12/2018 12:03:07

1. Change of habits? Drink less wine and do more modelling, says he just having had a slurp of rosé! Mind you I have been sawing wood and adjusting the chainsaw all morning!

2. New aeromodelling plans for 2019? To start the construction of Dr Walt Good's "Big Guff," a 1938 radio controlled model aeroplane which I have admired since at least 1992, and to compete again in La Coupe Des Barons.

Thread: Boomerang didn't come back
28/12/2018 06:13:19

You're luckier than I was!

enya 50 and boomerang.jpg

Thread: Solartex Linen and Oratex Antique - colour comparison
25/12/2018 05:58:07

It looks like natural to me. Merry Christmas!

24/12/2018 20:29:00

Roger, there is also Solartex Natural which is a sort of transluscent white. This colour is still available. Perhaps your fuselage was originally covered in Solartex Natural.

Thread: Merco 61 Glow Engine (Single plug version)
24/12/2018 09:56:12

If it's any help DM, I rescued my first Senior Telemaster from an old bloke in Wales. The model had an eight-foot wingspan and the wings and tail were covered in Solartex. I built the fuselage out of pine strip bought from B&Q.senior telemaster merco 61 up.jpgMy Merco 61 powered it adequately enough. It's just a big trainer after all.

Edited By David Davis on 24/12/2018 09:57:39

Thread: Christmas wishes
23/12/2018 12:06:10

...and a Merry Christmas from me too.

christmas tree 2018.jpg

I don't know why the image is on its side. Those with better IT skills please advise.

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
20/12/2018 11:43:20

Here in France we've all had to register with the equivalents of the BMFA and the CAA, pass an on-line safety course and register every model we own. Each model now has its own unique number and as of 1st January 2019, it will be illegal to fly a model aircraft without its number on it. The number must be legible at a distance of 30 cms, IIRC.

Of course, if someone wanted to fly a drone over an airport do you think they'd bother to register it?

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
17/12/2018 09:53:54

It was cold but bright yesterday with no wind to speak of. I spent most of my time coaching a wobbly beginner on the Junior 60 and ran out of time before I could have a go with the Fun Fly. Only two other members of my club turned up.

j60 in winter.jpg

fun fly apres maiden. (1).jpg

Note the heavy miners' overalls designed to keep out the cold!

16/12/2018 11:53:37

It's a lovely day here in the middle of France, temperature of 9C, winds less than 5mph and and lots of sunshine. I've got some tutoring sessions booked in this afrternoon so my time's not my own but I will take something more aerobatic along as well as the plodding old trainers.

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
15/12/2018 17:06:23
Posted by cymaz on 15/12/2018 10:56:39:

... Another seller pulled out as they didn’t realise that Cornwall to London is quite a distance embarrassed

Typical Londoner! cheeky

Thread: Flair Cub
13/12/2018 07:12:20

I've had two of these both obtained second hand. They flew nicely powered by an Enya 40. I crashed the yellow one through flying it in a wind which was too strong for my abilities at the time. I can't remember what happened to the blue one but I no longer have it. I still have the maroon sweatshirt mind!

I have sometimes used medical tape to seal hinge gaps.

stripey flair cub.jpg

old stripey flair piper cub. enya 40 up.jpg

Thread: Plane for new engine - any suggestions?
10/12/2018 06:45:41

How about a little Tiger Moth?

**LINK**

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
08/12/2018 17:47:28

I finished off the club secretary's Baron for him. He was brought up in Belgium hence the Belgian roundels.

gerard baron (3).jpg

gerard baron (4).jpg

Thread: YouTube Video you like
07/12/2018 09:47:02

I've been following these guys for a while now. I particularly liked the episode where they put an OS two stroke into an electric foamy!

On a slightly more serious note I also like the videos of vintage flying at Cocklebarrow. **LINK**

Thread: If you love the Typhoon
04/12/2018 16:04:23

I've always thought that in model form at least, the cowling of a Typhoon cries out for the installation of an inverted single cylinder engine!

I've too much on so I won't be building a model version, but Mr Wheeler, a train driver who lived at the bottom of our street, flew a Typhoon during the Second World War. He also flew the Hurricane and the Tempest.

When we bought our first motorbikes we were all dead jealous of his son who wore his father's sheepskin lined Irvin Jacket whenever he rode his machine!

Thread: New Sopwith Pup from DBSportandScale
04/12/2018 08:46:38

I used to have a Puppeteer powered by an HPVT 49 fourstroke which flew it well. Being a very heavy engine it was ideal in a model with such a short nose. Something like an ASP 52FS would suit it with some lead in the nose!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us