By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alastair Place

Here is a list of all the postings Alastair Place has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: AVA Hobbies.co.uk
10/06/2009 16:51:02
All very valid points Timbo

And i'm glad for the feed back, the mobile number is only there as i wanted to put a number in before the store goes live, this will change to a land line number.

i take your point on the plane option but it's staying, so if you would like a motor for your tool let me know
10/06/2009 15:38:06
Yep that's it Michael
10/06/2009 15:33:27
Sorry Stephen

Did you mean me or the  on line shop

Al

Edited By Alastair Place on 10/06/2009 15:35:23

Edited By Alastair Place on 10/06/2009 15:35:58

10/06/2009 14:52:33
Hello All
I hope this is allowed, but I would just like to post to invite people to come and have a look at my new "almost finished"  on line store and for them to leave me some feed back as to what they think. 

The store should go live in a few weeks and Iím still working on putting all the pricing, weights and product details up.

The store will be mainly aimed at electric flight to start with but hopefully as things move on Iíll start to add  I/C stuff as well.

Al
Thread: What is the difference between the DX7 &DX7 Lite?
19/05/2009 13:40:25
Ok yep point taken. I would retract it but I cant edit the post.
But  I was just from what I had read on some other forums about tx's locking out and from a few model shops that stated that they have less problems with Spektrum stuff than Futaba but that was before Horizon recalled some of there units.

Please don't take this post out of context Im not bashing Futaba or any manufacturer for that, this is just what I had been lead to believe. I have olny had  Futaba TXs up to this pont  and I have had no problems with any of them them.

If they are unfounded then Ill go back to looking at the ff7 thanks for making it easier.

19/05/2009 11:00:46
Thanks Timbo

I am taking the plung into 2.4 and it looks like the i'm going to go for the DX7 as there seams to be too many problems with Futaba and there RX's cost more ££££

Thread: GWS Sptifire Re-Build
19/05/2009 10:51:11
Hello Andy
One of the guys has tried using plastikote range and has had some very good results it is not cheap but seams to work well.

With regards to aileron slop, with the gws birds they always give you extra control rod tubing so i just cut these the size and glue them into the ailerons, rudder, elevators anywhere where to control rod goes into the foam. It stops the foam becoming compressed and helps give a good positive movement to the control surface . it's quick to do and cost nothing .

I have been doing this for about 5 years now since my first gws corsair and that is still nice a positive

I hope that makes sense if not i can try and get a photo
Thread: What is the difference between the DX7 &DX7 Lite?
19/05/2009 10:19:40
Ok can you advise me on the difference between the DX7 and DX7 Lite is it just that the lite comes with the Ar6100 park RX and that the DX7 comes with the AR7000 full range RX?

Thanks

Al

Edited By Alastair Place on 19/05/2009 10:20:40

12/05/2009 14:06:58

Graham

Thanks for the spinner info.  With regards to my CofG i had to move the lipo pack around but it's bang on the recomended with no clay. i must weigh it to see what the AUW  has come out at now. 
Just got the rest of the markings to sort out now, that will probabley take me another 6 months lol  
09/05/2009 20:30:33
Ok here are a few pics of how it looks now.

Still trying to find the right spinner

Al
07/05/2009 14:02:57
I Have been very slack  on this and i have to say you have put me to shame on this Graham, yours looks stunning by the way grate job.

I have managed to finish mine off i will try and get a pic I took it out for it's maiden on Friday and WOW this bird is now a joy to fly, it did not need much to trim out i think i only put 2 clicks of right and 1 click of down, i was running a 3s 1345mah pack with a non branded outrunner on a 9x6 prop , TX said 12min flight time when i landed, put the pack on charge and it took just over 1000mah that is good enough for me so i have set the timer 12 minutes.

I have since had 3 more flights with the spit and i think i have just about got it dialled in now. What a grate flying model this has turned out to be and to think it was heading for the bin.

Al

Thread: Replacement Outrunner shaft
05/05/2009 13:26:01
thanks Timbo i'll give them a call
05/05/2009 11:09:56
This is a bit of a long shot but ...
does anybody know if you can get a replacment shaft for a Thumper motor?

The shaft is 4mm. Or if i can get the shaft out do you think i would be able to use any shaft as long as the dimensions are correct .

Thread: Places to Fly in Cornwall
11/04/2009 15:26:43

This is just a quick one

Iím going down to Cornwall (looe) for Easter and wondered if anybody could recommend or point me to a possible site that i could maybe fly from. As i would like to take something with me.

Thread: How many ESC's?
04/03/2009 15:30:56
Thanks for the info guys

Looks like it's four new ESC for me then
04/03/2009 13:44:54
Thanks For the reply
 I thought I had read somewhere that you might get away with 2 on one ESC but could not find the link again...

But yep that was what I was kind of thinking I just need it confirmed,

Al

04/03/2009 13:04:40
I'm sorry is this has been asked before but i have serched but i was unable to find an answer.

I know you should only run 1 brushless motor per brushless ESC but i was wondering if it would be possible 2 per esc or even up to 4 motors per ESC as long as the ESC had a high enough rating to cover the amp draw of said motors.

Al
Thread: Pick a plane 2009
16/02/2009 16:04:12

Westland Whirlwind

Bristol Beaufighter

Avro Vulcan bomber

17/12/2008 10:42:00

Graham glad to here it all went well and that she came back in one piece.

I have been a little slack of the past few weeks but I’m back on it now. She is all back together, it has taken allot more work than I thought it would but I’m almost there. It has taken allot of cutting new parts sanding and filling, I wanted to get rid of all traces of the old paint so a lot of time was spent with the dremel. So this is what I am now left with.

She has had her first light covering, now I wanted to do something a bit different than all the normal markings that you see, so I decided to go with a night fighter markings as there where a few of these but I have not seen anybody do this yet.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/al4motion/Planes/Photo-0022.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/al4motion/Planes/Photo-0024.jpg

Al

01/12/2008 20:49:00

Hello Graham

Yep not going too bad, have been a bit slow on this one, Had to do a bit more chopping, but i think i can just about start putting this thing back together.

I'm not sure what my AUW will come in at. i hope to be in 400-500g range. Graham if you use a larger battery could you not then lose some of the weight?  if your going for 7.4v i think that you might on the limit for power. 

I'm planning on using a 1300mah 3s lipo i can just about get it in there.

I hope the maiden went ok if you managed to get out, It was a little bit on the cold side here but still managed to a few flights in with the 109.

Al 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us