By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1200 for 1/18 Spit!
25/02/2020 23:31:12

Wow, you don't often see a 90% bad rating i.e. 1 star on Trustpilot. Reading many of the comments, it would appear that quite a few would have given zero stars if that rating were available. So, 1.3/5 seems to be an overestimate for the rating.

24/02/2020 23:59:04

The Sun ran an article on the recently advertised "Build a Spitfire" in a Hackette Partwork magazine. The price of the first edition of the mag is £1.99, the second £5.99 and thereafter for the remaining 118 issues £9.99. This makes a grand total of £1186.80 for a non flying 1/18 scale Spit! Even the Sun pointed out that you can buy an RC Spit for £399 while an Airfix 1/24 Spit costs £43.95.

That's what you call a bit of a con unless the mag is worth the money in its own right. I expect some people might fall for it for a while.

Thread: JR XG series LCD
24/02/2020 23:48:28

You could ask JR Propo/DFA as they are the JR manufacturers now. There is a Contact button at the top right of the home screen. I have asked for info on another Tx and got an answer but it took almost a week. Worth a try.

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
24/02/2020 13:02:44

Disagree that the Exemptions are at all complicated. You just print them off, or save to your phone, and you're good to go. The 400 ft exemption is essential to me as you cannot fly F3A aeros without it. Top of the box is around 900 ft.

Thread: 2020 Six Nations Rugby Union.
23/02/2020 16:59:46

What happened to Ireland? OTOH, you can only play as well as your opponent allows and England put in their best performance since beating the ABs at the WC Semi.

Hope Ireland put right what went wrong and put one over the French!

23/02/2020 14:37:50

Did you watch the game when Storm Ciara was blowing? The kickers kept kicking even though the ball kept getting blown back towards them. Bright or what?

23/02/2020 10:48:42

Kickers are in for a treat this afternoon at Twickenham!

Thread: Loads must go
23/02/2020 10:46:43

Nice one! I'll have the wheelbarrow wink

Thread: Failsafe...no idea
23/02/2020 10:44:07
Posted by Steve J on 22/02/2020 21:28:18:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 22/02/2020 12:32:05:

What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

I have flown with a few 'B' cert holders and I think that this is complete nonsense. All that having a 'B' cert means is that one or two people were prepared to sign a bit of paper.

Steve, I'd agree with you as regards those who gain a B then do nothing with the skills they have learned. It's a bit like an MoT - good on the day it is achieved. There is nothing to tell you about the current B holders flying capability. I did suggest to the ASRC that they offer a B(current) rating that would say something about the holders' current ability, but that was turned down. In my little niche of competition aerobatics, unless you practice regularly, skills fade reduces the scores you can achieve which either leads to an increase in practice to improve or else giving up competition flying.

I have seen some pilots who hold a B but who struggle to fly an A schedule! That's a comment on them and not the B scheme.

Thread: Battery discharge load.
23/02/2020 10:37:20

Most of today's LiPo battery chargers have a charge/discharge to Storage voltage without resorting to running a pack down with either a motor or a load. This is handled by the Charger software so you won't accidentally discharge the LiPo pack below 3.0 v/cell.

Each discharge at high current will decrease the battery life as if it has been used in the air so, given the expense of batteries, not a great idea IMHO.

Poor performing batteries are a fact of life and make themselves known as you use them.

I certainly wouldn't recommend others using your system given the danger of dropping cells below 3.0 v. An on-board telemetry package will give far better information on the health of your pack when tied in with the information from your charger on how much was put back into the pack.

Each to their own though.

23/02/2020 10:29:56

+1!

Thread: Battery discharge load.
23/02/2020 00:15:33
Posted by David Hall 9 on 22/02/2020 20:42:36:

Quite right, flying them to storage levels would be best, but then I might miss the chance to torture a few....

I don't understand what you want to achieve by torturing a few packs! As already suggested, flying them will give you all the information you need especially if you use on-board telemetry to give the essentials of A, V and W plus charge remaining. I fly 10S 5000 packs where max current draw is around 2,800 to 3,000 W. If you have a duff cell your battery charger will show that or else when you check the cell voltage after flight.

If you have blown a few packs with your testing regime that seems an expensive way of going about proving that you have/had a good/bad pack.

Thread: 2020 Six Nations Rugby Union.
22/02/2020 18:52:15

The French were very lucky not to have a penalty try awarded against them but after that Welsh tactics were not good enough. This is a very good French team as England found. It will be up to Ireland to stop a French grand slam.

22/02/2020 17:51:53

The French team is too scared of what Shaun Edwards will say if they tire!

22/02/2020 17:45:19

The cracks are showing in the Welsh tactics. I fear the French have their number. Hope I'm wrong!

22/02/2020 15:07:02
Posted by Gary Manuel on 22/02/2020 12:50:37:
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 22/02/2020 12:32:05:

Many people think the B is a licence to fly in front of the public. It is nothing of the sort. What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

Having a B certificate helps you to do all that? Wow! Who'd have thought that a piece of paper could do all that?

Here's me thinking that it was skill and practice that helped the most wink

Trick is to have read my last sentence Gary - training! 😉

22/02/2020 12:32:05

Many people think the B is a licence to fly in front of the public. It is nothing of the sort. What gaining a B does is to help you to fly an aircraft while you are under full control of it at all times. That is, that you can fly in a straight line parallel to the flight line in use (surprisingly difficult for many pilots), conduct a manoeuvre at a place of your choosing and not where the aircraft happens to be, and to take off and land in a straight line even in a cross wind. The added bonus is that you are less likely to resort to a black bin bag! It also helps to to think about what you want to achieve in each flight before you get airborne. All good reasons for training to fly the B to a pass standard - nothing to do with flashy low level stuff whether 3D or other!

Thread: BMFA Membership Card
21/02/2020 23:42:29
Posted by SR 71 on 21/02/2020 19:04:56:

And if your no good with computers ???

It's just like flying SR71. You have to practice and .... you don't crash if you get it wrong!  smiley

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 21/02/2020 23:42:49

21/02/2020 23:38:07

Foxfan, at the risk of telling you what you already know, have you read the guidance notes on the A test? You can find them here. This document tells you exactly what is required in order to pass the A test. It also covers the B test in the same document. This is what your examiner will be using (or should be using) to carry out the test. Good luck with your A and I hope you decide to go on and take the B. It really is worth going on to the B as you will find that you will crash a darn site less! The biggest issue with both the A and B is flying them consistently but that comes from practice, practice and more practice. It gets easier the more you practice!

21/02/2020 19:31:13

Got my Operator ID at around 4.30 pm today. The issue of requiring a Flyer ID is clear on my email in that it says:

If you’ll fly a drone or model aircraft yourself, you’ll need a flyer ID, unless you are making use of a CAA general exemption. Please check with your association if you are unsure whether you can use such an exemption.

My emphasis on the words but clearly we will use a CAA exemption as a member of one of the 4 Model Associations. Seems pretty clear in this wording which I presume is after the BMFA pointed out the error in the first batch of OP ID emails.

Nigel - don't understand your problem with OP and FLY prefixes. If you had an OP ID and a FLY ID on your model without the prefix how would the person inspecting the number know which was which?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us