By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Colman

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Colman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
06/09/2020 06:22:24

Common sense obituary. An alarming resume of modern society.

Edited By Steve Colman on 06/09/2020 06:23:58

Thread: Sunrise v.2, New and improved
30/08/2020 17:10:52

I thought my previous sunrise photo was missing something so i've done a v2 with an additional element that greatly improves it.

34.jpg

Thread: Sunrise
27/08/2020 09:55:46
Posted by fly boy3 on 26/08/2020 20:07:58:

Beautiful picture Steve. You must have had a bad night sleep to be up and about at sunrise lol. Perfect for flight Cheers

I'm up at 5.00 am every morninduring the summer months. Best part of the day!

26/08/2020 10:44:02

sunrise 1.jpg

An early start at the club today. Dead calm, cool and beautiful.

Thread: Miserable misused Mentor needs help
22/08/2020 09:40:58
Posted by Chris Walby on 22/08/2020 06:40:27:

Steve, good luck and please keep us updated on the rebuild (interesting for us + any newbies from a rebuild perspective).

I suppose its a case of where do you stop before you end up with "triggers broom" and what improvement you deem as part of the rebuild.

Will do Chris. I think it will be a rather basic rebuild concentrating on the rejoining of the rear end and the very dodgy aileron higes. Oh, and checking the tow servo installation because I'd like to use the model as a tow plane again.

22/08/2020 06:27:50

Thank you all for your replies which have been very clearly expressed!

I wan't to make it clear that my friend didn't ask to be paid for it, I was just wondering if I should offer him something for it. That question has now been answered.

I've stripped the model down and given it a good clean and think it can be rescued so I'm going to give it a try.

20/08/2020 16:59:51

I actually flew the model way back in January of 2016. It was lent to me and I set it up as a tow plane to use at the club where it successfully towed up many Mpx gliders such as the Solius. It was a great time at the club! Then the owner decided he wanted it back and it hadn't been seen since until yesterday. While when flyable it wasn't exactly in a perfect state but I was somewhat shocked when I saw it!

Agreed about it being a far superior foamie to many and a joy to fly.

20/08/2020 14:05:44

For a year now I've been pestering a friend about buying his old Multiplex Mentor, which has been misused and sadly abandoned; he has been steadfast in his refusal of my offers, until yesterday that is.

He turned up at the club with the Mentor and I was somewhat taken aback by it's condition as can be witnessed in the accompanying pics. When I last saw it, it was in flying condition.

Now I ask for your esteemed advice as to whether it would be worth my while to attempt a repair / refurb and give the Mentor a second lease if life?

And if so, how much would be a fair price to pay for it given it's very poor state?

m1 (2) copy.jpg

m2 (2) copy.jpg

m10 (2) copy.jpg

m13 (2) copy.jpg

m15 (2) copy.jpg

m19 (2) copy.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 20/08/2020 14:08:46

Edited By Steve Colman on 20/08/2020 14:09:23

Thread: Which would you choose and why?
11/08/2020 17:05:16

I did some empirical research of a sort this morning using the 3 models in the photo.

7 copy.jpg

Whilst not exactly scientific the result is that "The flaps have it"

Many thanks to all that contributed. Now, I'll have to sell a couple of models to fund the purchase of my new Valiant.

Unless of course, I come across something else .......................................

Edited By Steve Colman on 11/08/2020 17:05:38

Edited By Steve Colman on 11/08/2020 17:07:18

08/08/2020 21:07:15

A 2 each draw at the moment and some interesting posts which I thank you for.

Peter, I prefer tail draggers too !

Colin, I have a Shark so very familiar with it's flying abilities. I also have an Angel too. The only decent video of the Cessna shows it to be equally impressive as all Sebart designs.

Capt Kremen, flying field has 2 tarmac runways so no problem.

And, finally Geoff. No I haven't made a decision yet and I really can't decide. In an ideal world I would have both in a shot but that's just not possible unfortunately.

08/08/2020 17:36:23

I was about to get a Valiant 10 cc.
Then I came across this pretty semi scale Cessna 150 by Sebart.

Both around the same price, very similar size. Both trainer type high wingers but capable of aerobatics. Valiant has flaps, Cessna no flaps but leading edge slats, Cessna up to 1Kg lighter.

Have everything suitable for Valiant apart from motor. Have everything suitable for Cessna apart from servos. So would be more or less equal financially.

Now I have a dilemma.

So, if it were you, which would you choose and why?

valiant 10cc.jpg

sebart-cessna.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
02/08/2020 17:07:12

Really like the Element Peter. I have a the smaller Marabu awaiting completion.

Thread: AR620 Loses Connection on Lower Power Range Check
22/07/2020 10:49:06

I had the same problem with my Gen 1 DX8 and a couple of Admiral Rx's (lemon re-branded) some weeks ago. Seems the problem is becoming more widespread now.

Thread: DX8 gen 1 and Lemon rx compatibility issue?
14/07/2020 20:30:07

Martin, I had exactly the same problem with my DX8 and 2 Admiral Rx's (rebranded Lemon) from Motion RC in europe. It was worrying because I had bought several Rx's because they seemed good value and received some good reviews.

Like you, I also did a full power distance check of over 250m and all seemed to be OK. I subsequently flew the model and have done so a few times since that day and all has proven to be fine with no problems whatsoever.

I did some investigating and discovered that Gen 1 Spektrum Tx's and Lemon Rx's have a problem with the low power range test although I don't know the reasons why but it was a compatability issue of some sort. Apparently the problem doesn't exist with Spektrum Gen 2 Tx's which is good because I just upgraded to a DX9.

That's my real world experience of the problem.

Hope it helps.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
12/07/2020 18:26:44

Skywalker Falcon. Very cheap and fitted out with parts from the spares box. Maidened today and flew like a charm.

falcon 8.jpg

falcon 9.jpg

Thread: Forum weekend prize draw - winners!
10/07/2020 16:56:18

At last! I have a good excuse to post a picture of a post.

img_1043 (2).jpg

Thread: R.E.S Dart anyone?
06/07/2020 09:34:41

Anyone flying a RES Dart and able to give me their opinion about it?

I've been offered one (motorised) complete and seeking some unbiased views.

Thanks.

Thread: Pre Season Flight checks
03/07/2020 17:15:19

As per title, just for fun.

Two successful flights were completed after the check so a great job by all.

w 41 copy.jpg

w 45 copy.jpg

w 46 copy.jpg

w 47 copy.jpg

w 49 copy.jpg

w 50 copy.jpg

w 42 copy.jpg

Thread: Spektrum DX9 Setup- Help Needed!
01/07/2020 12:48:32

Thank you both very much.

I had done all those things Denis so yes the flap system would make sense.

Ronaldo, perfect solution and so simple once you know how.

I've programmed and reprogrammed one model numerous times over the past week and have learned so much. Now I think I'm there; until the next time of course.

01/07/2020 10:28:58

Well, I now have everything working although one little niggle remains. For the moment I've got throttle on the stick and flaps now assigned to switch C.

I've entered a Flap to Elevator mix which works but with one minor issue which so far I've not been able to resolve. I've programmed the flaps to activate over a couple of seconds but the elevator just snaps into place. If I slow the elevator down in the servo to match the flaps normal elevator operation is also slowed down; therefore not good.

So, antone know how to slow the elevator servo along with flaps but function normally at all other times?

On my powered models the flap to aileron mx slows both at the same time.

Edited By Steve Colman on 01/07/2020 10:39:43

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!