By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Brown 3

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Brown 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A question of Balance
04/04/2013 16:36:18

Best wait for advise from those who would know better than i Colin but i had this problem on the wing of a build and rectified it by adding a wooden block to the lighter side thus ensuring that the wing in its self was balanced.

Thread: Looking for plans
04/04/2013 16:28:12

Can you imagine how surprised i was when i attended our club meeting last Monday to find that a member had designed and built this !!!!! At no time did i discuss this design of plane to anyone, it was his brainchild.

photo0015.jpg

photo0016.jpg

photo0017.jpg

Thread: Structural Wizards please respond
03/04/2013 14:51:30

Thanks for that Chris and Lindsay, much appreciated thumbs up

03/04/2013 00:49:39

Hi Guys,

thanks for the response and apologies for my late reply, the completed weight would be apprx 8lbs, the wing span is 4` 8" the plan was a CAD design and i have no idea whos brainchild it was as i bought it part built, it was initialy intended to have a 40 size two stroke but i am going to use an RCV 58.

BEB i do not think that i will need to go past 1/2 the spars depth to facilitate the retracts so i thankfully take on board your recomendations, when you mentioned using metal to stregnthen a deeper fitting a thought went through my head, as the wing halves are not yet joined what would you think about me drilling through spars 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and bonding in two alluminium rods of 4 to 5mm dia benieth the mounting point in order to spread the landing load and of course doubling up around the cut outs on the main spar? or am i going too far maybe?

01/04/2013 18:35:29

Hi, I want to deviate from the original plans for this Spitfire wing by fitting electric retracts instead of fixed undercarriage.

The photos show the way the wing is made up and you can just see where the original mounting block has been removed from rib no`s 4, 5, and 6 at the rear of the leading edge.

The retract units will be mounted between ribs 4 and 5 and rest closed at approximately the angle of the pen so i will need to cut into the main wing spar and ribs 5 and 6 to facilitate the unit.

The advise i seek is how is the best way to stregnthen both the area of the mounting and also the spar and ribs after cutting in to them? obviously some wood will be required, what would you recommend? and the right glue which i would think will be epoxy.

dscn2396.jpg

dscn2397.jpg

dscn2398.jpg

Thread: Got a new hack!!!
26/03/2013 20:33:36

The fellow member you bought it off wasn`t a car salesman in a previous life was he? are you realy sure about pink?? Mind you the more i look at it the more it seems to grow on me, good luck when you maiden it mate, hope all goes well. yes

Thread: Is model flying safer or more dangerous than it was 30-40 years ago?
26/03/2013 10:24:26

There are people out there that fly without holding the likes of the "A" cert. or similar certificate of compitence, holding such does not mean that an accident could not be caused but if we take into account what can be measured i.e. What is the ratio of B.M.F.A. members to accidents that are of any major level?

We, thankfully, in G.B. have embraced a very high level H&S measures in industry and to my mind have a much different level of awareness than the likes of Malaysia and many other countries, problem is there is no way of policeing a high standard world wide as nothing could be put in place.

How does the level of accident/flier ratio compare with for instance Australia or U.S.A. where our hobby is also very prolific.

I used to be a scuba diver and live close to what is rated to be the best inland training area in Britain but the press would try to have the place branded as "dangerous" because several deaths have occurred over a long period of time but the place was used by thousands of divers a week so in truth the ratio was very very small and invariably deaths were mainly caused by actions outside of the training given.

So in a similar fashion are there any ratio figures given anywhere? and if so can they be compared to 30 or 40 years ago? and are they close to the actual accident to flyer quantity ratio?

Thread: Looking for plans
26/03/2013 09:36:45

Maybe if i asked nicely ? or maybe Gary Mc.K might have a copy somewhere, anyone know his e-mail address? laugh

25/03/2013 22:22:37

Any plans about for one of these yet ?image of future plane.jpg

Just love the colour scheme cheeky

Thread: Old Uno Wot refurb
25/03/2013 16:59:29

Cheers mate, you are on a tucano at the mo aren`t you?

Thread: Deagostini Spitfire
25/03/2013 16:55:08

Yes Chris, it was started bt a chap called Bill Hughs on 26/02/2007, i had quite a bit of input on that thread.

25/03/2013 11:36:32

Depends Chris whether you bought it by subscription or otherwise as to how much it cost, I didnt think £85 was out of the question and there are a lot of reviews around confirming that they fly very well even an electric conversion on u tube, i would not attempt to fly the one photographed with those wheels, 3" to 3 1/2" would be much more sensible. Give us a shout when you`ve maidened it Den and let me know your thoughts.smile

24/03/2013 13:55:36

Heres my one Den, as with your`s a few mods were required.

000301120330.jpg

I know a lot of Brit. modellers don`t have a good word for the Leo the Americans praise it, i bought another part built off e-bay, will stick retracts on it and have an RCV 58 in stock for it.

Thread: Computer help Internet explorer stopped working
24/03/2013 00:39:37

Myron, if you are realy stuck contact your service provider, they will sort the problem i can assure you.

regards

Bill

Thread: The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)
17/03/2013 13:01:38

Dawn and dusk normaly provides the best lighting for photography Lee, nice composition.

Thread: Fort William ???
15/03/2013 19:41:39

You`r in gods own country there, i`m sure he will provide, know the area well as i originate from Sutherland but am unable to help with this particular quest, Scott Finnie is from Edinburgh and allthough its a good way from Fort William he is pretty much in the know regarding flying around the north.

Thread: When does your building 'stall'?
15/03/2013 18:30:56

Reminds me of skyhooks smiley

15/03/2013 18:11:31

Thats the one Martian indecisionnot a nice feeling sometimes, so i approach with some anticipation.

Thread: When does your building 'stall'?
15/03/2013 18:00:25

I love the challenge of all the aspects involved, some parts can sometimes end up as a bit of a fight but overcoming them gives an immense sense of achievement, however i do stall if i have a hangover!beercrook

15/03/2013 17:48:24

I bench ran the Irvine25 that came with this model and it ran o.k. but i thought it needed a better motor as our patch is grassed and you need something man enough to plough through it so with a bit of juggling managed to graft on my OS40FS, undercarriage is back on CoG is about right, control surfaces all throw about right so nearly there now.

dscn2392.jpg

dscn2393.jpg

dscn2394.jpg

dscn2395.jpg

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!