By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2018
24/06/2018 10:40:46

The write up and photos from the recent Bwlch SWSA PSS event in May is now available to view on the PSSA site **LINK**

Thread: Hurricane Happenings in Boston
24/06/2018 08:02:04

The Welsh regional version, of course - the billboard posters are ready...

pssa hurricane poster.jpg

Thread: 11C 213 Squadron Hurricane El Alamein 1942
23/06/2018 21:47:06

Nice job with the paint brushes there Pete!! He looks the business! thumbs up

Thread: Hawker Hurricane MK1
23/06/2018 21:45:34

I do like your use of sanding templates Harry, excellent stuff - your model is really coming on well!

Thread: PSSA Hurricane Mass Build T-Shirts - AVAILABLE TO ORDER!
23/06/2018 21:27:53

With only 11 weeks to go before our Hurricane Mass Build Meet on 8th/9th September it's time I commenced taking orders for the events official T-shirt!

Here is our fantastic event logo which features boldly on the back of the shirt and is now available to order!

hurricane mass build event logo.jpg

The T-shirts are locally manufactured in my home county of Derbyshire, they are a good quality, white cotton shirt with full width front and back prints. The shirts cost £16 each including bulk delivery from the supplier to my home address.

As before, I have to tailor the order to demand, so if you would like one (or more) of the 2018 Event shirts please send me an email to webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk stating the number you require and your chosen size(s) - payment methods and delivery can be discussed by return mail.

If you are attending the Mass Build event on the Gt Orme 8th/9th September I can hand the shirt to you on the day, or, if you cannot attend but would still like a shirt, I can mail them out in advance at cost of postage.

So here's the 2018 shirt design - big thanks again to PSSA member Bob Jennings for the fantastic artwork!

FRONT PRINT

t-shirt front.jpg

BACK PRINT

t-shirt rear.jpg

The shirts are sized as per the table below - having already worn the shirts myself my recommendation would be to go for 1 size bigger than you think you need!

shirt sizing.jpg

I hope you agree these shirts will form a quality memento from our 2018 Hurricane Mass Build event - I look forward to hearing from anyone who's interested in purchasing one - please email me via the link below.

Phil Cooke - webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk

07772 224719

Edited By Phil Cooke on 23/06/2018 21:29:19

22/06/2018 08:22:07
Long Mynd SA PSS Event Cancelled

LMSA member Jez Billington has been in touch to reluctantly announce that this weekends planned PSS Event at the Mynd - 23rd/24th June - is to be cancelled due to the High Pressure dominated forecast - low wind speeds from an unsuitable direction. Please do not travel to the Mynd this weekend.

Jez has explained that they will look to run an 'ad-hoc' meet on a free weekend when the forecast is better suited, so keep your eyes peeled for further (potentially short) notice of that over the summer months.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 22/06/2018 08:30:55

Thread: RN Hawker Sea Hurricane IIc
19/06/2018 23:24:56

A bit more progress on the wing, with the torque rods now fitted into the sub T/E (I still need to fit the full T/E), the Leading Edges are fitted with the scarfed joint and the tips have been carefully positioned ensuring the ply inserts align with the centre of the L/E and the T/E of the aileron with the washout applied.

wing te.jpg

wing le.jpg

19/06/2018 13:30:25

At most of them yes Alan - we park close and that enables us to maximise the number of models on the slope and also cater for those flyers who's legs don't work as well as they used to!

There's a bit of a walk if we access the SW or SE slopes from Dorothys farm, a stile too. Equally if we use the SW from Anne's we have to walk for 10 mins along the well kept coastal path.

W, NW, S all great slopes with easy car access.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 19/06/2018 13:31:12

18/06/2018 23:45:09

Hi Alan,

Yeah there is a host of slopes covering all wind directions within easy reach of the meeting point, the vast majority of them are coastal and most of them are to be found on Mynydd Cilan - just South of Abersoch. Only on a Northerly wind would we have to venture a bit inland to find the slope.

We meet at the Londis car park in Llanbedrog at 09:30 each day to make a decision on slope based on the conditions. I post a copy of this map with contact number and chosen slope on the phone box for any late arrivals. For those who camp south of Llanbedrog - to avoid pulling them out of their tents only to go back to where they were - we often make a few phone calls in the morning and the campers stay put on site and await our arrival (you can camp at Anne's place which is our most favoured slope! - shown as Cilan WEST on the map below)

Westerly winds are most favoured, NW, W, SW all fly well from fantastic sites... S is pretty good too from Cim Farm but not quite as dynamic.

mynydd cilan map.jpg

More details of the slopes on the Lleyn MAC website of course... **LINK**

Edited By Phil Cooke on 18/06/2018 23:54:18

18/06/2018 23:30:05

Hi Warren,

Sorry I meant to reply sooner on the WhatsApp thread but been busy with work and football... plus I couldn't remember the names of places I've stayed in years gone by without a search on the laptop...

There are LOADS of B&Bs, Guesthouses and Hotels on the Lleyn peninsula - too many to list, and the place isn't huge so any place to stay around Abersoch is within easy reach of all the slopes we use...

I can vouch for the following, although to be fair Ive not stayed in Abersoch for perhaps 5 years as we've grown to favour Llanbedrog.

Wylfa Guest House - Abersoch

Angorfa B&B - Abersoch

Craig Y Glyn B&B - Llanbedrog

Brynn B&B - Llanbedrog - this is where I am staying this year - I believe Pete is also booked in here!? Within walking distance of the meeting point each day where a slope decision is made. All are good quality B&Bs but as stated there are many, many more to choose from!

11/06/2018 22:59:12

Centre panel wing skins now added...

top skins 3.jpg

11/06/2018 09:06:51

Hi Trevor,

Glad your wing build is progressing well - have you gone for separate servos in each wing? Otherwise you physically can't fit the T/E until after the wing is joined as you have to mount the torque rods first.

As for the tips, some care on the order of build there too - I always find it best to fit dry the ailerons to ensure the tips are best aligned, with the washout this needs careful alignment to avoid mismatch and oversanding - the thin central ply laminate in the tip should align with the extreme T/E of the aileron stock. The aileron itself needs a little 'twist' building into it to replicate the 2 degrees washout in the outermost ribs.

10/06/2018 22:27:50

I got the wing panels joined today. party

First the outer panels had their top skins trimmed and sanded back, a dry fit into the centre section proved I needed to shorten my ply wing joiners by about 2mm to avoid a bind allowing the wings to fully mate at Rib 3.  I joined the panels one at a time as sadly my building board was 2" too short to allow both wings to be chocked for the required dihedral simultaneously...

You can see how this method allows full open access to the joiner - ensuring a robust glue joint across a bigger area...I used 20 minute epoxy on all joints.

wing join 1.jpg

Second panel added once the first had enjoyed a 3 hour setting period. Centre section now gets the top skin - should all be down hill from there on I hope.

wing join 2.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/06/2018 22:29:28

Thread: Hurricane Building Tips and Plan/Woodpack queries
10/06/2018 22:07:34

Hiya Pete, a couple of good points here which I'll try and answer - let me start by saying I personally haven't built this feature yet on my model (or the beta test fuselage!) so I haven't given these parts much of a thought until now...

Firstly, I don't think there are any parts missing in line with the instructions Matt and I supplied Sarik, you should have all the balsa parts required as per the photo below they all come supplied in 1/16" balsa.

pete fillet 1.jpg

In the plan view you are right the little 'Fillet Side' former is shown in 1/8" but supplied in 1/16" - I agree it is needed in 1/8" to allow two mating surfaces to sit across its width... So yes - REMAKE THIS FILLET SIDE FORMER FROM 1/8" balsa for ease.

The parts are all cut to the correct shape to match the cross-section below - this is the intended section immediately BEHIND the wing T/E where the fillet extends rear along the fuselage with a FLAT, planar underside.

What this view doesn't show, as you have rightly pointed out, is the material you need to 'line' the wing top skin with ONTO WHICH you would build the fillet up against the fuselage...

pete fillet 2.jpg

So in that respect, yes there is a part we need to make that isn't shown on the plan and isn't in the kit of parts.

In previous builds on similar features (my Sea Fury for example) I've always used thin ply to 'line' the wings top surface - I would suggest 1/32" or 1/64" ply in this case as being most suitable. You need ply not balsa on the base as when the wing is removed these fillets become easy to damage in handling and transport. Thin ply is best.

Looking at the plan view, I'm afraid the drawing of this feature is a little 'cartoon' like too. Matt correctly supplied the 2D layout for the balsa upper surface which curves - I think Sarik have simply positioned that part into the plan view when in reality it wouldn't extend outwards quite that far (due to the curvature) - look what happens when you lay the side former onto the plan...you can see it runs short.

pete fillet 3.jpg

So the thin ply 'wing skin' onto which we build the fillet with the balsa parts supplied (apart from the side former which needs to be 1/8" ) should be shaped as per the red dashed line I've drawn above. It should extend under the fuselage side and doubler too of course.

Hope that makes sense? I'm not at this stage of the build yet, I think you are 'pathfinding' through these final stages Pete! Keep up the good work we are watching!!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/06/2018 22:15:26

Thread: Hawker Hurricane mk IId - JV-Z
10/06/2018 19:11:53

To be fair Pete - if you had done it the other way, I'm sure it wouldn't have looked right - the air filter was an 'add-on' to the full-size original nose profile so what you and Andy have done will produce the shape more accurately IMO.

10/06/2018 08:20:00

Morning Pete - I'll be there Friday to Sunday, but I have to come home Sunday for work on Monday I'm afraid...crying

09/06/2018 13:42:50

Top skins trimmed up and now added to the two outer panels, building in the required 2 degrees washout with the 1/16" strip running along the sub T/E.

top skins 1.jpg

Plenty of aliphatic used on all mating surfaces...smile d

...before the sheet is positioned centrally, pinned and then battened along the sub T/E and sub L/E.

top skins 2.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 09/06/2018 13:53:58

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2018 Mass Build Project
08/06/2018 23:45:37

This weekend marks the half way point in the Mass Build programme, we are 3 months in with 3 months to run until we stage the event on the Great Orme Sept 8th and 9th.

How's everyone's build coming along!?

Very soon I will be providing details on how to order the official event T-shirt which has always proven popular each time we have run a mass build... a reminder of this years superb event logo designed by our very own Bob Jennings which will be prominent on all our memorabilia!

hurricane mass build event logo.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 08/06/2018 23:46:19

08/06/2018 23:29:57

Made up the top skins then ran out of jobs other than sanding which I don't do indoors at night anymore... so I blocked in the radiator and made up the wingtips.

radiator 2.jpg

Thread: Hawker Hurricane MK1
08/06/2018 23:27:55

Looking good Harry! Just think in 3 months we will be running the event!! We are half way through the build time! thumbs up

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues