By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A New Look website for the PSSA
22/02/2019 08:20:47

Second, here's an example of one of the many Gallery Pages when you search for photos by Aircraft Type.

gallery total.jpg

22/02/2019 08:18:49

As a preview - below are a couple of screen shots taken from the new site as we ready it for full release...

Firstly, our new Hompage - with immediate access to Latest News, details of our next Event plus live stream from our Facebook page!

frontpage total.jpg

22/02/2019 08:16:33

www.pssaonline.co.uk – a fresh new look and improved functionality for our Associations official website!

Back in 2001, a lunchtime discussion between myself and Rez Manzoori identified some improvements we could make for our Association through the introduction of a simple PSSA website. Initially we aimed to compliment the quarterly newsletters which were being published by Alan Hulme, enabling us to better share news and views and capture historical records in a more modern and cost effective way. Of course over time the quarterly publications were dropped completely in favour of the website, we stopped printing the costly newsletters and we became a ‘free to join’ web-based Association.

Rez and I developed the site using tools and methods all very new to us at the time, neither of us were web-designers by trade and were very much self-taught spare timers – like the photography, this was an interesting ‘add on’ to the hobby we loved! We produced what we felt was a useful platform offering a recorded history of the PSSA, a diverse photo gallery where folks could show off their latest PSS creation, a catalogue of historical build and design articles, a plans directory, an events calendar and events review page. As time progressed, we’ve added functionality such as links to modern weather sites and to chat forums. Although it’s been well maintained for new content the general format of the site has stayed very much unchanged since its initial launch – and for some time now has received a little criticism about its ‘dated’ look. It had also never been designed for use on mobile phones or tablets – something we’ve been conscious of since the arrival and domination of the smart phone. A site refresh was needed to modernise the look and improve the functionality of our online home - PSSAOnline.

I’m extremely pleased to be able to announce that this site refresh is now complete and ready to go live on 1st March 2019. The new site holds all of the previous historical data as before, but now offers a modern-day ‘brochure’ type format, clean and vibrant in appearance and much easier to navigate from section to section within the site. For the first time site visitors will be able to purchase PSSA owned plans through the website shop, our photos can be filtered and viewed by aircraft type or by event location, and all of this is now formatted to suit either PC, tablet or smart phone.

I want to say a huge, sincere thank-you to PSSA members Warren Phillips and Peter Garsden, who since Christmas have provided a huge amount of their own time, skill and effort in the development of the new site design and in the transfer of site content from old to new. As well as kindly providing an experienced web-site design service, Warren has also acted as my guide and mentor as I too have learnt the ropes regarding the new softwares and methods involved, to the point where I can now continue to maintain and update the site independently as before – having traded MS Frontpage for Wordpress. This really is a significant improvement for our Associations online image and we’re forever indebted to Warren and Peter for their drive and energy in helping complete this significant task so effectively!

I hope you find the new PSSA website experience rewarding and agree that this modernisation has improved our Associations image for anyone who wants to learn more about our activities.

Check out the new site from 1st March 2019 when we go live - www.pssaonline.co.uk - and do please contact me with any feedback at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk - many thanks!

Thread: PSSA pre-season get together - RAF Cosford - The Return!
20/02/2019 08:30:22

Nice one Bob!! See you and Sue there!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 20/02/2019 08:30:59

16/02/2019 20:09:48

Oh yes absolutely! - 10am meet RAF Cosford main museum car park SUNDAY 24th Feb.

08/02/2019 12:49:26

Al do you know what aircraft they currently have in there under wraps?? Cost is fine but Im conscious of how much more there is to see and do already at the museum and I cant be certain on total numbers and of those who would be keen to go in?

06/02/2019 14:59:56

I couldn't help myself... the list of all Merlin applications is here;

**LINK**

06/02/2019 14:50:04

Sunday 24th Maurice!

I'm really not that familiar with the Balliol, it makes me wonder how many other lesser known Merlin applications there were...amazing! I look forward to studying it a bit closer in the Museum.

05/02/2019 21:42:44

Looks like we've got to have a team photo in front of the Boulton Paul Sea Balliol T.21 hehehe

really nice.jpg

04/02/2019 19:51:34

PSSA group visit to RAF COSFORD - Sunday 24th February - 10am

All,

It's about time we agreed on a date and location for our pre-season catch up event!

It's a little lazy, as we met here 2 years ago - but it's centrally located, entrance is FREE and it IS one of the very best aviation museums in the country! - so who's up for a group revisit to the museum at RAF Cosford?

cosford 1.jpg

A full list of aircraft on site can be seen here - **LINK**

Museum is open between 10am and 4pm.

Could I suggest a 10am meet in the car park so we can all start to explore together... there's a place to eat and a great aviation shop on site so plenty to occupy us throughout the day...

LINK to official museum website. Looks like there are some open cockpits on the weekend chosen too! **LINK**

Do please register here if you are interested, would be nice to know who's planning to attend. See you there!

Phil

Edited By Phil Cooke on 04/02/2019 19:53:54

Thread: fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
27/01/2019 21:27:02

Enjoying watching the new parts develop Dirk - superb workmanship as always - you really do have an impressive range of skills in the workshop!! thumbs up

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
17/01/2019 21:23:00

Having spent a few weeks performing what checks we reasonably can do to best ensure no event clashes or slope access issues, I'm glad to be able to announce a series of six weekend PSSA events for the 2019 season. My sincere thanks go to Tim Mackey, Steve Houghton (SWSA) and Austin Massey (LMAC) for their help and support in establishing these dates.

A reminder that all of our events are open to non-PSSA members - and that all pilots are to have BMFA insurance. As usual, there are more details on the PSSA website and Facebook pages. Roll on April!

pssa events 2019.jpg

Thread: New Years Eve 2018 / New Years Day 2019 PSSA Fly-In
30/12/2018 16:36:15

Do you have your Hurricane to maiden!?!?

I think that might be one of two new ones if its being aired!! smile d

30/12/2018 10:01:09

Morning all,

Forecast has remained better for us tomorrow (New Years Eve) so would bias towards flying tomorrow as opposed to New Years Day if you have the option!? NYD the winds drop a little in strength and look more West than South West - still flyable of course but not quite as 'on song' with that direction of wind...

Tomorrow looks promising with a good strength SW wind, no rain and sunny spells. With the daylight hours being so short lets make the most of it - see you at the Tank Track CP from first light!

llandudno nye 18.jpg

really nice.jpg

28/12/2018 08:52:19

Forecast at this range looks robustly SW dominated for our end of year bash so the Gt Orme is looking like the place to be...

And NYE (Monday) looks to be more suitable for PSS flying then NYD (Tuesday) with 13-25mph SW winds forecast - NYD is a little lighter at 9-14mph (as I write)...

editimg_3629.jpg

Thread: A4 Skyhawk - Building tips and Plan queries
25/12/2018 20:58:43

The wing is really solid built as per plan - I'm pretty sure even the heaviest of landings won't break the wing dowel on this model - the fuselage will crack and break first around F3.

23/12/2018 19:03:14

Hi Steve,

In the earliest kits, Traplet had marked out F2 on balsa sheet 2 but then failed to cut it with the laser. This was very quickly addressed with a separate sheet of balsa being added to the kit, with F2 cut into it before the profile was added to the existing sheet 2. I'm guessing Traplet (now Sarik) have forgotten they could now remove the extra piece of sheeting from the short kit... still - having TWO F2's is better than having NONE!

As for F9, its more of an end cap really than a former as its positioned onto the end of the fuselage sides - not between them. The fuselage shape is really governed by F8 at the back - once the corners are planed off and sanded round. But F9 is glued on square then sanded as shown below...

F8 profile...

45f8.jpg

F9 added to tidy everything up at the back...

f9 endcap 2.jpg

then planed...

45cut1.jpg

then sanded!

jetshroud 3.jpg

As for suitable pilot busts, Peter is correct - a number of us used the Real Model Pilots 1/12th scale Jet pilot which was perfectly sized for the small canopy... this is the 'do not exceed' dimensions if you go elsewhere...

pilot sketch.jpg

and here's the RMP 3D printed product which is perfect

jet pilot angled cut v2a (6).jpg

jesters in 1.jpg

Thread: New Years Eve 2018 / New Years Day 2019 PSSA Fly-In
17/12/2018 09:38:08

that's MY BMFA insurance renewed too allowing first launch on New Years Day

16/12/2018 13:39:59

Yeah good call Chris - thanks for the reminder Ill give the office a call tomorrow!

fun on the orme.jpg

Thread: 2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread
11/12/2018 16:29:43

Nice one Trevor, thanks for the update...

The event has been and gone, that's true! But some models are still being finished, and we are still missing photos and a brief description of some airframes that were finished in time for the event and flown, but never reported - I won't mention names - but lets see if this thread 'bump' jogs any memories and provokes the upload of any new pictures! smile d

Edited By Phil Cooke on 11/12/2018 16:30:43

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us