By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
19/04/2019 00:00:57

Write up from our first event of the season is now uploaded to the PSSA website...

**LINK**

Thread: PSS A-4E 'Top Gun' Skyhawk
16/04/2019 19:03:52

Hi Mike - sorry for my slow response - been one of those weeks and I've not spent much time on the forum!

Sounds like you have a pretty decent coastal cliff - Its AUW dependant of course but this model is no floater and needs fairly strong lift before it gets properly going - and it doesn't really like flying too slow - one to save for 15mph or more regarding wind speed and good lifting slopes. In the right conditions the model is a great flyer - very agile with a superbly crisp roll rate. Loops require a lot of entry speed and careful energy management with the elevator over the top - but if you fly big, smooth manoeuvres it can be made to look totally convincing in flight!

Enjoy your build - and your first experience into the vast world of PSS! Perhaps see you at a PSSA meet soon!!

13/04/2019 21:35:04

Some more photos from last weekend up on the Ski Slope - was a great way to start the season!

**LINK**

Thread: One Eighteenth of a Canberra B.2
11/04/2019 12:04:42

Yes we were all impressed, especially in the light end wind conditions on the Saturday flight - it out performed the Jet Provosts - which is saying something!

editimg_5539.jpg

07/04/2019 22:48:37

A few photos from our 2019 Season Opener on The Great Orme this weekend.

A good meet all round, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon were the best slots for windspeed upto 22mph at times, the East slope always limits the number of models we see with the walk from the cars but still a good array of models on show and in action throughout the weekend!

editimg_5681.jpg

editimg_5539.jpg

editimg_5841.jpg

editimg_6149.jpg

editimg_6172.jpg

More photos and an event write up will be uploaded to the PSSA website soon...

03/04/2019 22:18:04

What a view from the East face

A timely reminder (as IF one were needed!) that this weekend 6th / 7th April sees us commence our planned series of flying events for the 2019 season upon The Great Orme in Llandudno.

As I write, the forecast looks fairly promising with North East and Easterly winds blowing both days - meaning we will be parking in the SKI SLOPE car park (past the pier and up through Happy Valley) and flying from the Easterly slope overlooking the pier.

Although less ideal when staging an event than the ‘Tank Track’ sites (primarily due to the walk from the cars) the Easterly is a superb lifting slope, one we have used successfully many times before! Assuming there is no significant change to the forecast and the winds remain from the East, please plan to meet for the usual Pilots Briefing in our established pitting area up top at 10am (not the car park or the ski cafe!)

A reminder too for anyone staying over for the weekend - we have a planned evening meal on Saturday night in ‘The Cottage Loaf’ from 19:30 – Market Street, Llandudno.

If you are travelling I look forward to seeing you and your models on ‘The Big Rock’ this weekend!

02/04/2019 20:10:15

Thanks for the best wishes Bob! The weekend forecast looks quite settled at present on the Easterly slope with good wind strengths for our PSS models - so its looking quite positive we'll get the 2019 season off to a good start!

Pete we will await your arrival up top! thumbs up

Thread: 2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread
25/03/2019 16:40:14

Looking forward to seeing your Hurricane Alan - great stuff!

25/03/2019 15:23:13

Great photos Trevor thanks for sharing - looks the business in that colourful scheme!! Glad you are enjoying your Hurricane on the slope!!

Still a few more out there yet to post some pics of their finished creation!?

Thread: Wanted...Rcmw mags
19/03/2019 10:06:05

Hi Phil,

I took some scans of the mag issues at the time to help folk building the model in the USA and in Japan with the same data (they couldn't buy the mag) - I still have them scans on my home PC so Ill email you later with the files...

To be honest though there is probably more detail and more pictures in the build blog which Andy has already kindly forwarded... cheers Andy

17/03/2019 14:29:28

Yep, Michael has confirmed the details here too Al, and I've added them to the list of 2019 PSSA events on the website and on our FB page too...

**LINK**

Thread: Hawker Hurricane MK1
10/03/2019 21:06:44

A lovely round up Harry - I'd forgotten you'd beaten the 4lb AUW challenge with this one - impressive with the glass finish - the model looks and flies great - I just cant wait to get some better photos of her (and many others) flying in better light this season!!

Thread: Andy Conway Bae Hawk
03/03/2019 17:41:21

These are some photos of my Hawk which were already uploaded... more to follow...

Hawkbuild1

Hawkbuild2

Hawkbuild3

hawklight 004.jpg

03/03/2019 17:32:22

Hi Phil,

A great choice for your first balsa build, a relatively simple design which Andy has modified and improved for scale over the years - it builds quickly into a great little PSS model! I do regret selling mine a couple of seasons back and will no doubt build another one day!

I have a number of photos from my last build, but I think that was from the previous version of the plan so there will be a few deviations... but pictures always help and I will endeavour to upload some shortly for you.

Best thing to do is study the plans in full once they are with you and raise any specific questions you may have on here - there are many PSSA members looking in who have built this model from the plans over the years - you wont be short of help that's for sure!

Enjoy your first build! thumbs up

Thread: A New Look website for the PSSA
01/03/2019 21:33:13

Our new website went LIVE today as planned on 1st March! www.pssaonline.co.uk

beerthumbs uppartybeer

Thread: PSSA pre-season get together - RAF Cosford - The Return!
25/02/2019 22:19:24

A few photos from our excellent trip to Cosford yesterday - great to see so many PSSA members out away from the slope!

**LINK**

Thread: A New Look website for the PSSA
22/02/2019 08:20:47

Second, here's an example of one of the many Gallery Pages when you search for photos by Aircraft Type.

gallery total.jpg

22/02/2019 08:18:49

As a preview - below are a couple of screen shots taken from the new site as we ready it for full release...

Firstly, our new Hompage - with immediate access to Latest News, details of our next Event plus live stream from our Facebook page!

frontpage total.jpg

22/02/2019 08:16:33

www.pssaonline.co.uk – a fresh new look and improved functionality for our Associations official website!

Back in 2001, a lunchtime discussion between myself and Rez Manzoori identified some improvements we could make for our Association through the introduction of a simple PSSA website. Initially we aimed to compliment the quarterly newsletters which were being published by Alan Hulme, enabling us to better share news and views and capture historical records in a more modern and cost effective way. Of course over time the quarterly publications were dropped completely in favour of the website, we stopped printing the costly newsletters and we became a ‘free to join’ web-based Association.

Rez and I developed the site using tools and methods all very new to us at the time, neither of us were web-designers by trade and were very much self-taught spare timers – like the photography, this was an interesting ‘add on’ to the hobby we loved! We produced what we felt was a useful platform offering a recorded history of the PSSA, a diverse photo gallery where folks could show off their latest PSS creation, a catalogue of historical build and design articles, a plans directory, an events calendar and events review page. As time progressed, we’ve added functionality such as links to modern weather sites and to chat forums. Although it’s been well maintained for new content the general format of the site has stayed very much unchanged since its initial launch – and for some time now has received a little criticism about its ‘dated’ look. It had also never been designed for use on mobile phones or tablets – something we’ve been conscious of since the arrival and domination of the smart phone. A site refresh was needed to modernise the look and improve the functionality of our online home - PSSAOnline.

I’m extremely pleased to be able to announce that this site refresh is now complete and ready to go live on 1st March 2019. The new site holds all of the previous historical data as before, but now offers a modern-day ‘brochure’ type format, clean and vibrant in appearance and much easier to navigate from section to section within the site. For the first time site visitors will be able to purchase PSSA owned plans through the website shop, our photos can be filtered and viewed by aircraft type or by event location, and all of this is now formatted to suit either PC, tablet or smart phone.

I want to say a huge, sincere thank-you to PSSA members Warren Phillips and Peter Garsden, who since Christmas have provided a huge amount of their own time, skill and effort in the development of the new site design and in the transfer of site content from old to new. As well as kindly providing an experienced web-site design service, Warren has also acted as my guide and mentor as I too have learnt the ropes regarding the new softwares and methods involved, to the point where I can now continue to maintain and update the site independently as before – having traded MS Frontpage for Wordpress. This really is a significant improvement for our Associations online image and we’re forever indebted to Warren and Peter for their drive and energy in helping complete this significant task so effectively!

I hope you find the new PSSA website experience rewarding and agree that this modernisation has improved our Associations image for anyone who wants to learn more about our activities.

Check out the new site from 1st March 2019 when we go live - www.pssaonline.co.uk - and do please contact me with any feedback at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk - many thanks!

Thread: PSSA pre-season get together - RAF Cosford - The Return!
20/02/2019 08:30:22

Nice one Bob!! See you and Sue there!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 20/02/2019 08:30:59

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us