By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
21/10/2019 19:58:22

Any more photos from last weekend??? I've just edited another one showing the Antonov approaching a threatening sky...

forumeditimg_5616.jpg

Thread: USA Build: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California
16/10/2019 20:26:57

I had appreciated the intakes were shorter on the A/B but the photo suggests there's no splitter fairing either! nerd

15/10/2019 22:24:47

Great photos Paul - many thanks for sharing!!

The event write up is now uploaded to the PSSA website - big thanks to Pete Garsden for his take on the day!

**LINK**

14/10/2019 22:32:33

Some more photos from this weekends 'End of Season' PSSA fly-in at the Great Orme thumbs upsmile dbeer

**LINK**

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project
13/10/2019 20:10:10

There are a few minor variations as the Sabre was flown for a number of seasons but regarding the wing and tail colours this is typical...frecce 3-view.jpg

13/10/2019 20:00:46

Hi Phil - you mean - where can you better determine the colourscheme?? I'm sure a search in Google for Frecce F-86 colours will quickly turn that up - its bound to be well modelled in plastic over the years.

The underside can be deferred from your image above, in that the entirety of the wing and tail panels are Green/White/Red as per the Italian flag!

13/10/2019 18:10:33

I'm afraid based on the forecast when we retired last night we put out a cancellation note on social media for any formal meet today, the rain was persistent until 3pm - although I believe from a local source the weather did become flyable from then on. Truth be told many of our members travel an awfully long way to fly with us on the Orme and at 3pm on a Sunday its not uncommon for folk to be making a move, so I think cancellation was the right call...

Of course we filled our boots on the Saturday with busy skies all day and an attendance as big as any PSSA event I can recall - brilliant stuff! A great way to end the season, a really memorable day set on the most favoured SW slope with perfect conditions, and in great company! Thanks to everyone who took part!

I've included a few highlight photos of my own, there will be a full write up and more photos on the PSSA website soon! Of course we'd love to see anyone else's photos from the day, do please post them here - there was so much going on it was impossible to appreciate all that took place!

forumormeoct191.jpg

forumormeoct192.jpg

forumormeoct193.jpg

forumormeoct194.jpg

forumormeoct195.jpg

Thread: Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan
07/10/2019 21:28:17

Great progress Pete!! You should have this all finished and awaiting the canopy before we start the Sabre builds on 1st November! Impressive!

I'm at a not too dissimilar position with my fuselage - It's effectively all built up and squared off. I need to do some shaping now with the razor plane and the sanding blocks and then I can get to work on the canopy plug as promised! Photo shows it next to her smaller cousin aligned at the back for a sense of scale.

jp compare.jpg

06/10/2019 22:35:00

Just in time ahead of next weeks event - here's the formal PSSA site report from our last event in September!!

**LINK**

If anyone fancies making some notes and writing a review for inclusion on the PSSA site covering next weekends event please do let me know! thumbs up

04/10/2019 13:07:08

As we approach the weekend there’s just 1 week to go before we stage our final planned PSSA Fly-In of the season – 12/13th October!

Once again the Great Orme at Llandudno beckons, and the usual weather watch is already well underway. If all goes to plan we will meet at the Tank Track car park for the daily brief at 10am.

Sunset formation flying 2

Attendance is usually very strong as we bring our event season to a close, so get your models readied and I look forward to seeing you up there!!

group shot sept 19 forum.jpg

Thread: USA Build: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California
20/09/2019 19:56:20

certainly a nice looking way to polish your nose cone

10/09/2019 19:36:26

Some more photos from Saturdays successful PSSA Fly-In

**LINK**

09/09/2019 22:32:41

Nice pictures Gents - do keep them coming! Here's the group shot posted on the FB page already, resized for forum use! Many thanks again to all who travelled and took part!

group shot sept 19 forum.jpg

Thread: Alaskan Air National Guard Version
05/09/2019 22:44:30

Nice one Steve - will be a good contrast between the silver and the orange! thumbs up

Thread: Cliff(New boy)'s build
05/09/2019 22:43:09

Lovely scheme you've chosen there Cliff - I've not seen that one before!

Yeah the aim is to build in a common window from 1st November - of course you can start when you want really but there should be loads of parallel blogs running and help and tips available along the way once we get going on mass from that official launch date!

01/09/2019 17:01:54

All,

My fuselage build has identified another minor issue with the updated drawing - again already discussed with Andy B and we've agreed future drawings and woodpacks will be modified to clarify design intent.

For those first 12 plans/kits please note the following;

At the larger scale a pair of balsa fuselage doublers have been added top and bottom towards the front of the fuselage, namely F15 and F16. These were never part of the smaller build. Neither part is actually part of the woodpack, but they are defined on the drawing and need to be cut by hand from 3/16" medium balsa.

The lower doubler, F16, sits over the spruce longeron on the plan, and in dry fitting the assembly it was clear either F16 needed altering or the spruce longeron needed to be relieved locally to sit on top of the balsa doubler.

Discussion with Andy made it clear the design intent is for a full width curved spruce longeron which is glued to the fuselage side, so the balsa doubler F16 needed to be channelled and split into 2 - creating F16A and F16B.

The following photos should make perfect sense once builders have the new JP plan in front of them... laugh

F16 cut to shape as per the plan. The dotted band is where the 3/16" spruce longeron will pass. We need to remove this section from the doubler to allow the spruce to be glued to the fuselage side material;

f16.jpg

Removing the dotted section carefully produces a 2-part doubler, known from this day forward as F16A and (the rather fiddly) F16B

f16 slotted.jpg

These are then glued to the lower forward fuselage side ensuring they are square to the datums and that the spruce doubler (offcut shown in place) is a nice fit - not too slack, not too tight - to aid assembly of the nose section in 3D later...

f16 in position.jpg

that's the fix done - all simple enough.

f16 in position close.jpg

Thread: 1/8 scale AB Models PSS MB326 Impala
01/09/2019 09:35:24

Very nice Monz, a great looking PSS model and a quick build too! Impressive!! Look forward to seeing it on the Orme next weekend!

31/08/2019 19:45:19

I've cut my fuselage sides out and have also made up the fuselage doublers F15/F16 which don't come as part of the woodpack - simple shapes using the offcuts from the fuselage sides. Triangular section has been cut to length and tonight all this will be glued together making up a L and R handed pair.

I've double checked all the CNC and laser cut fuselage parts against the plan and all seems absolutely spot on apart from the 4-off F8's which come supplied with the woodpack. These don't appear to have been scaled correctly in width - the SLEC parts have been cut correctly to the .dxf file but the definition as supplied needs tweaking (NB - Andy B has now already corrected this in the definition and future SLEC kits and plans will be altered) - but for the 12 kits already bought here's the simple fix...

The 4-off F8's are designed to seat up horizontally against the vertical face of the battery box - giving a sturdy curved profile against which the fuselage sides can be pulled in onto... as you can see the length and curvature are correct, but the formers aren't wide enough to meet the battery box.

f8 small.jpg

In fact each F8 is 10mm too thin.

The parts are simple enough to recut - or modify by adding a 10mm width strip of 3/32" balsa before they are fitted - alternatively a 10mm block can be glued on the outside of the battery box between F1 and F2 against which the parts as supplied could then be accurately fitted. I think I'm going this way. Many ways to solve this.

f8 gap.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 31/08/2019 19:46:59

31/08/2019 19:32:42

Hiya Pete - making good progress on the wings! Impressive!

I've made a start on the fuselage here - in an attempt to have the canopy plug manufactured as soon as possible.

Regarding the fuselage sides in medium 3/16" stock - yes you WILL need a 48" length per side if you want it to run from nose to tail one piece - but I can confirm you don't need 4 sheets - gluing a standard 36" length on top of the 48" length sheet gives you plenty of area to cut out the required shape of the sides... (to the grey triangles on the plan)

Thread: JSDAF Blue impulse F-86
22/08/2019 21:03:50

Brilliant Toshiro! Great to see your parts have landed safe - enjoy your build!! thumbs up

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us