By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread
11/12/2018 16:29:43

Nice one Trevor, thanks for the update...

The event has been and gone, that's true! But some models are still being finished, and we are still missing photos and a brief description of some airframes that were finished in time for the event and flown, but never reported - I won't mention names - but lets see if this thread 'bump' jogs any memories and provokes the upload of any new pictures! smile d

Edited By Phil Cooke on 11/12/2018 16:30:43

Thread: fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
09/12/2018 17:23:21

Very nice woodwork Dirk, the aileron and flap arrangement looks just like the real thing - well worth all the effort! thumbs up

Thread: New Years Eve 2018 / New Years Day 2019 PSSA Fly-In
07/12/2018 12:44:47

Yeah was a good session that - and some good sunlight for the photos too!

**LINK**

'MiG 28s! No-ones been this close before!!' was also a thing that day as I recall!!

05/12/2018 19:03:04

Just a quick note to explain there are plans hatching once again to see in the New Year with an ad-hoc PSSA Fly-In party (potentially running both NYE and NYD) at one of the following sites, dictated of course by the prevailing wind direction and weather.

The Great Orme, Llandudno

Bosley Cloud, Congleton, Cheshire

This gathering has occurred the past few years running and despite the short daylight hours and the likely low temperatures the attendance has been good - as was the banter and the Christmas leftovers fayre of course!

Wrap up warm, bring your turkey butties and your mince pies and join us for a few hours PSS flying to see OUT 2018 and see IN 2019! What better way to start the new season!?

Do please register here if you intend to join us one or both days in principle, we will determine the chosen site on the final run up - making the best of the forecast no doubt!

Great Orme (Flies S, SW, W, NW, N, NE, E)

What a view from the East face

Bosley Cloud (Flies NW, NE)

editimg_4299.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/12/2018 19:08:05

Thread: A4 Skyhawk - Building tips and Plan queries
20/11/2018 19:23:11

Hi Steve - thanks for your interest in building the A-4!

No-ones flown their Skyhawk more than Pete (I recall him finishing his well before the Mass Build event) so I would go with his description - Only to add - the A-4 wing loading is ~18oz/sq ft with a wing built as per the plan and with an AUW of 2.5lb, some were built lighter, some heavier. Equate that to a typical sports model like a Phase 6 (yes, I still live in the 80's) of ~14 oz/sq ft and you start to get a feel for the models lifting characteristics...

That said the A-4 won't slow up like a sports model - they need to be flown in - any hanging on the elevator at low speeds will drive a tip stall, nothing to be afraid of - but to be aware of!

No question it's a model best suited to good hills with a medium wind strength - I've flown mine in much, much more and it handles high winds well too, but I'd be too chicken to chuck it off in anything less than 15mph even on a good coastal slope like the Orme.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 20/11/2018 19:24:36

Thread: PSS Jet Provost
10/11/2018 11:16:20

Hi Dave, agreed the Jet Provost is a little small at 36" span and I too would like to make a slightly bigger one - but its a great model - I'm still flying mine from the 2014 Mass Build venture as are many other of our members.

What sort of size are you thinking of? For me the best thing to do would be to scale it up by 25% or 50% (to keep the maths simple) and go up on stock size from the original drawing to the same factor.

Thread: PSS A-10 Thunderbolt II - build blog
07/11/2018 11:57:43

Bad boys... cakeembarrassedclock

To be fair - it's not been on the bench since late February when the Hurricane Mass Build venture took hold of my limited hobby time. The desk is clear at the moment so I've no excuses not to get it moving again over Winter.

Although its been in build for the time period you're forcing me to celebrate, in reality it's probably only 12 months actual accrued build time IYSWIM, many other smaller projects have come and gone in the same time period, including the 2014 and 2016 Mass Build efforts. It all takes time you know...

The A-10 will be finished, I'll not let it beat me!

Thread: Airfoil for PSS propliner
30/10/2018 20:29:46

Hi Ben-Erik,

I recall John Hill making a similar scale Dash 8 for PSS back in the late 80's, that too was veneered white foam construction and flew very well indeed with an AUW of approx. 12lb.

You can't go wrong with either of the two sections you mention - The Clark Y and Eppler 205 flat bottomed sections have proved most popular with PSS model designers over the years - they perform well, enable a good speed range and are not too slippy - ideal for scale models. If the full sized aircraft has a relatively thick wing section we've proven it quite acceptable to increase the thickness of the model section by up to 25% to produce a wing of similar appearance and still achieve a good flying performance. So your suggested +10% will be just fine IMO.

Are you going to treat us to a Dash 7 build blog??

Thread: Canberra by Andy Blackburn PSS
21/10/2018 19:42:37

excellent Pete, great to hear she's maidened successfully and is back home safely - good work! It was never in doubt!!

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2018
21/10/2018 11:04:04

yeah nice shots Steve!
Al those little brushed can motors were so quiet we could hardly tell you were reliant on electric assist! Looked great in the air!!

Thread: 1 Squadron RAF Hurricane Mk.IIc
16/10/2018 18:55:02

Superb work Alan - great bit of skill with the castings!! And the paint looks lovely! I look forward to seeing it on the slope! Do add a picture and description of it in the finished model thread for me please when she's done! thumbs up

12/10/2018 10:03:49

THIS WEEKENDS PSSA EVENT WILL NOW RUN SUNDAY 14th ONLY - SATURDAY EVENT CANCELLED

All,

Quick note to say we've taken the decision to put out a cancellation note for the first day of this weekends PSSA Fly-In on the Great Orme. We've been studying the forecast for some time and we are confident that Saturday will be a washout until late afternoon combined with very blustery winds.

llandudno forecast.jpg

Our event will run as planned on Sunday 14th, meet for a 10am start in the Tank Track Car park.

For anyone in Llandudno Saturday our planned evening meal is still going ahead - Johnny Doughs Pizzeria - 129 Mostyn St for 6:30pm

See you there (I'll actually be in town for lunch too if anyone wants to meet for a beer )

Phil

07/10/2018 20:22:14

Last months Hurricane Mass Build Event has now been written up and included onto the Events Review page of the PSSA website...

**LINK**

Any more build blog updates? All gone a bit quiet! thumbs up

See you next weekend on the Orme again!

Thread: Canberra by Andy Blackburn PSS
07/10/2018 17:29:36

Very nice Pete - that looks superb - such a great scheme for a PSS model on the slope and I look forward to seeing you with the Canberra on the Orme next weekend!

04/10/2018 09:50:14

For small refinements like this - I personally think its best to build with mechanical symmetry and make the refinements in throws using the Servo Travel Adjustment feature on your Tx. You should easily be able to allocate +5mm and -7mm with a little bit of effort in that particular function (Im assuming you're using a Futaba set up - other systems may use a different term for the same feature?)

02/10/2018 22:47:12

I think you have 2 options Pete - use an inline servo reverser cable with the Y lead into one channel or (better solution) is to use a programme mix on your TX with a 'Master and Slave' channel set up - the 'slave' servo will follow the master channel (elevator) - you can get rid of the Y lead then too so a neater solution!

Thread: RN Hawker Sea Hurricane IIc
24/09/2018 22:33:35

All minor repairs and tweaks are now made following our first outing - I've programmed in the spoilerons with a little down elevator compensation and reattached the chin rad which was knocked off. The cannons are now fixed with a black elastic from the wife's sewing draw - ready for the slope again at our final event of the season 13th October!

Can't wait to get some more airtime on this one!

harry and hurricane.jpg

Thread: fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
21/09/2018 06:43:07

Lovely looking cores there Dirk!

Thread: USA Build: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California
20/09/2018 18:57:57

good to see the Boston Scooter back on the bench John! thumbs up

rcmefb1668.jpg

17/09/2018 17:58:28

Some more photos now edited from our Hurricane Mass Build Event 8th/9th September...

**LINK**

Remember there's a full pictorial review of our weekend planned for the Autumn Special RCM&E due out before the end of the month! thumbs up

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us