By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events
14/01/2021 11:17:17

Worthy of note for all those Sabre Mass Builders - we are planning to run the deferred event on May 22nd 2021.

f-86 mass build poster may 21.jpg

If for any reason that weekend has to be cancelled, we will use the September 4th date as a back up.

Thread: Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread
14/01/2021 11:02:54

The Deluxe Materials canopy glue has dried well overnight despite the cold and damp conditions we are enduring here in Derbyshire - all firmly secured and sealed nicely.

canopy glue 1.jpg

Note the little addition on the armpatch Chris! - I'm afraid at this scale I couldn't deal with the minute yellow border - but the flag now at least has its red star as required!

canopy glue 2.jpg

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events
14/01/2021 09:38:01

Morning all,

As already reported on the PSSA website and FB/Group pages, we've completed the planning work and are now able to release dates for our 2021 PSS season.

Obviously in the current climate some may think I'm being too bold - particularly with the first event in April, but I felt it better to plan and cancel an event if circumstances at the time dictate, than not plan at all.

So here is our 2021 calendar - many thanks to those who have helped me confirm these dates with local clubs and authorities. More details for each event can be found on our website HERE.

Key reminders:

All 2021 events will be run in a compliant manner with Covid-19 guidleines applicable for the time/location.
All pilots must have valid BMFA (or equivalent) insurance.
All models flown must have Operator ID numbers displayed in accordance with BMFA requirements.

events 2021.jpg

11/01/2021 18:05:56

Added just a little wear and tear weathering in the cockpit and cut a new canopy to size to replicate the shape of the first. This has been on my desk for months and fitted on and off the model countless times - I did intend to use it but on closer inspection just through general handling it was scratched and dull with primer over spray and glue.

canopy fit 1.jpg

canopy fit 2.jpg

Time to reach for the canopy glue!

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
10/01/2021 23:27:25

Your glassing looks really good Chris, I think it is only Dirk who mastered the fuselage, fin and tailplane lands all in one piece! Anyway 2 pieces per side is still pretty good going and minimising the seams in need of feathering all helps!

Must try adding some pigment to the resin next time too - thats a good tip to aid the visual on correct impregnation.

Keep up the good work - we are all still watching of course!! thumbs up

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/01/2021 23:39:04

Thread: Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
10/01/2021 23:14:18

Very nice solution Dirk, brilliant modelling again! thumbs up

10/01/2021 23:06:06

I could then introduce the rest of the cockpit furniture, bit by bit - all held in with little blobs of epoxy on small dowels where required so as they don't rattle loose on landings!

cockpit detail 6.jpg

Finally we can introduce the pilot to his new office - we shall call him Georgije or Георгије in his Yugoslav tongue.

Big thanks again to Andy Meade for the tailor made 3-D printed pilot and seat - brilliant! thumbs up

cockpit detail 7.jpg

So it just needs a little weathering and dirtying up to remove the 'factory fresh' look and its about ready for the canopy to be cleaned up and fitted.

cockpit detail 8.jpg

10/01/2021 22:53:19

I've completed the cockpit detailing over an enjoyable few hours on and off today in the garage - I still think this is my favourite part of any slope scale model build!

First I added a print out of the cockpit console, edited to size, brightness and contrast in PS and printed onto thick glossy photo paper - this can then simply be cut out and glued in place with a few spots of cyano - it doesnt bleed through. Be sure to carefully paint the cut edge of the paper in black to avoid the white border effect - it's amazing how visual the thickness of a sheet of paper can be!

cockpit detail 5.jpg

If anyone would like the .jpg for use on your build please open the photo below and 'save as' - it should print so it's 60mm across its bottom flat side.

dashboard.jpg

I also made up a gunsight plate from 1.0mm clear vac-form material - this is just tacked into the housing with the smallest amount of cyano - hoping it doesn't mist as the glue sets!

10/01/2021 00:11:28

cockpit detail 4.jpg

09/01/2021 17:57:30

A cold but enjoyable couple of hours this afternoon in the garage saw the remainder of the cockpit detail parts come together - more work than you think - the assembly shown has no less than 15 individual parts in it!

cockpit detail 2.jpg

I've also cleaned down and painted the cockpit floor, walls and shelf ready for detailing.

cockpit detail 3.jpg

05/01/2021 22:58:19

Awesome work Dirk!! Fantastic! (no pun intended!) embarrassed

04/01/2021 23:21:28

A bit of black paint in the airbrish tonight as therapy after work and learning from Boris that the kids will be at home now until February half term at least!

All these parts are now ready for final fitment - the compass loop antenna now has its domed dowel insert and some other details (I was hiding away from the kids!)

cockpit detail painted.jpg

03/01/2021 19:36:52

So I got underway this afternoon with a little cockpit detailing and some initial focus on the rear parcel shelf.

I've been collecting potentially useful 'brik-a-brak' for a while as a modeller and cockpit detailing is where it often comes in most handy - the Sabre being no exception - utilising today a cut down paint pippette, a small section of white plastic trunking, a shampoo bottle top and the lid off a lipsalve stick! After each component received a little machining and shaping this is what it all looks like brought together before paint, with the excellent seat and pilot 3D printed by Andy Meade.

cockpit dressing 1.jpg

Its only cartoon scale of course - but it all looks about right in profile, the black line is where the canopy frame will be painted to for scale.

cockpit dressing 2.jpg

The clear pippette will be occupied by a piece of doweling which I've domed and will paint up to reflect the workings of the compass loop antenna. A bit of black paint will then bring all these plastic bits to life!

02/01/2021 15:30:01

Still finding jobs regarding the finish of the primer which is stopping me detailing the cockpit... the nose intake lips and extreme exhaust fluting both required more work with the sanding pads - these were hard to reach areas with the model fitted to the fuselage jig.

All sanded up and repainted with primer now...finally(!) ready for the detailing blush

fuselage nose primer 1.jpg

fuselage nose primer 2.jpg

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
31/12/2020 20:34:56

Great work with the fuselage stand Chris - mine has proven invaluable again with all the final priming and sanding ahead of the colour going on!

Best wishes to you and your family for New Year! We hope to meet you on the Orme at our MB event in 2021!

31/12/2020 13:28:10

Hi Dirk, many thanks for explaining that - no secret moulding going on - I was just keen to see your solution to an age old modelling problem - impressive in its simplicity!!

Happy New Year Dirk, all the best - we hope to see you on the UK slopes soon! thumbs up

Thread: Piers's A4 Skyhawk
31/12/2020 08:15:04

nice one Piers - looks a very nicely finished A-4! Do please let us know how you get on with the maiden! Watch those throws, epecially on ailerons - they are spritely! thumbs up

30/12/2020 23:33:35

Dirk can you explain please how you recreate the complex shapes so accurately on the parting boards with 3D objects of these sort of dimensions? How do you project the shape onto the 2D board for cutting?

30/12/2020 12:05:41

The fuselage has received its first coat of primer, this has shown there are still some brush strokes evident from the sauce in a few areas, so a bit more sanding and then a final primer coat and we're about done.

fuselage primer.jpg

28/12/2020 16:52:13

There are many traditional sauces at Christmas time - we have Sloe Gin Cranberry sauce, Brandy sauce, Bread sauce and now, Freddie B's special filler sauce!

The fuselage has received it's first coat (in yellow to help the contrast) and this afternoon I braved the cold and damp conditions to sand it back with a foam block. There are still a few brush strokes evident in areas meaning it needs a second coat and resand, but this will soon be ready now for final primer - and then I can focus on detailing the cockpit!

fuselage sauce 1.jpg

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!