By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
26/09/2020 22:04:26

Fitting the wing to the fuselage for the first time in any build is always a major milestone! Even if you work for Boeing or Airbus!

Looks great btw... thumbs up

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events
26/09/2020 18:02:31

The write up from our last PSSA event held September 5/6th is now available to read online.

WRITE UP

Soon be time for our next one 10th/11th October!

24/09/2020 23:15:09

Lovely neat building Chris, and some nice robust engineering with your little battery cover!

Thread: Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread
21/09/2020 18:14:22

Just rattle cans for the primer Chris, top coats will all be airbrush. I do feel a bit better now its not all pink.

21/09/2020 15:31:00

The weather was good so with the spray jig complete we got some primer on the wing in the garden!

wing primer.jpg

Two coats in fact, with a very fine sand between them. Dried really fast in the warm weather and the surface looked really good with the pink sauce now hidden beneath!

20/09/2020 18:15:24

Not much to report really over the last couple of weeks - around work and family my modelling time has been utilised in other ways - either reporting on our last event or working out how (or if) to run our next one in October! Fingers crossed we are not all on a full lockdown again by then!!!

I'm still final sanding the fus in prep for glass...crying 2

The wing received another coat of 'sauce' on the underside as I had noticed a little sag line along a join in the skins - this has now been remedied and the wing is ready for final primer then paint. To aid that process I've built a little painting jig so the wing can be held secure via the wing bolts in either orientation. It's not as cool a design as Dirk's but it's functional. Should make the painting a little easier.

wing spraying jig 1.jpg

Some foam enables a soft grip at the back around the nylon bolts.

wing spraying jig 2.jpg

And at the front the wing just drops on around the wing dowels. Just high enough off the bench for the airbrushing...

wing spraying jig 3.jpg

14/09/2020 10:33:57

Good going Chris, you are fast catching my position - I'm afraid I'm still sanding my fus finally before glass!

Also, with learning from the smaller parts like tailplane panels and ailerons who have had their final primer coat, I'm adding another coat of sauce to the wing panels as there are areas where perhaps I have oversanded as you've suggested...no pinholing is evident which is a step change from previous glassing, but the primer did show just the slightest eveidence of weave patterns showing through. So in trying to minimise the primer use on the bigger parts I think another final coat of sauce it is!

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events
10/09/2020 08:57:07

... and we hope to see you on the Orme too Chris!

May 2021 is the current 'target' date for our MB Sabre event... Covid allowing of course, we will continue to monitor and adjust as needed to ensure we get the very best from this event.

09/09/2020 17:50:14

Yep - the AR-555 flew really nicely once the CoG was tweaked - really impressive! - some photos of it in the album Ive finished editing here

September Orme

07/09/2020 16:33:56

Monday night and I'm still shattered after a fantastic weekend of non-stop PSS flying on the Great Orme - what a superb couple of days we've just enjoyed! - many thanks to everyone who attended. We flew from 8:30 am on the Saturday in good strength WSW winds. Everything flew - superb conditions with winds upto 35mph. On Sunday it was a little lighter and had moved round to the NW by midday, from there we flew on until 6pm in winds up to 18mph. As things slowly start to return to a new normal we even managed a meal on the Saturday night in town. Great social as always!

There was a huge number of new models on show and being tested for the first time, odd for this time of year - another sign of the strange late start season we find ourselves in maybe?

A full event review and photo album to follow as soon as I can edit.

septmeetforum.jpg

In the meantime, here's a link to some photos on our FB page of maiden flight models seen over the weekend!

LINK

Thread: Rob's F-86F NASA 228 research aircraft build
06/09/2020 22:09:15

yeah great job Rob - lovely to see these finished Sabres being tested out and flown despite us having to put the Mass Build Event back to next season... look after her!!

She looked to go really well straight from the launch! thumbs up

03/09/2020 20:24:42

glassing, sanding, saucing, sanding, saucing, sanding... it seems to go on forever!

I gave my tailplanes and ailerons a second coat of top primer today as there was 'just' the slightest evidence of weave after what should have been their final finish sand... difficult to know how much 'coverage' the top coat gives with the airbrush - probably very little as the paint goes on so very thin... so Im happy with the second primer coat first I think!

01/09/2020 18:18:02

From baby talc pink to battle ship grey! Good to get some of the parts in final primer beer

primer 1.jpg

27/08/2020 14:30:12

Yep thats the idea, depending on your aileron stock and its minimum thickness at the extreme T/E - the idea is you can sand right down to the ply top and bottom if required and still have a crisp, robust T/E corner on the tip. It needs to match your aileron T/E dimension though, so if thats a little bigger than the thickness of the ply alone then there may be a slither of balsa remaining on top or bottom (dependant on the section)

26/08/2020 20:56:08

Nice job, it is rewarding when the 3D curves all start to take their final shape. Did you sand right down to the ply at the T/E at the back?

Thread: Chris Foss Phase 6
26/08/2020 20:53:42

Perfectly doable I'm sure, but there is not a lot of cross section on the fuselage up front, it's a lot more pointed than say the Middle Phase or Phase 5 (which has recently been converted and kitted for electric) so you'd have to cut a fair bit of nose back before you got to the sort of shape to suit the diameter of the motor and mount. That would really ruin the lines.

Theres also not a huge amount of room under the wing seat for a Lipo either, particularly if its built as per the plan with an elevator pushrod and rudder cables running within the fus.

Of course you could mount it all externally on some sort of power pod and tray, but that really would detract from the designers intent on sleek lines.

24/08/2020 22:04:43

img_2011.jpg

24/08/2020 22:01:39

Final job before the wing can be primed was to cut out and fit the little wing fences. No two diagrams I have for the Sabre show these fences quite the same shape, they seem to vary in length and some have the L/E and T/E angles perpendicular to the wing surface some have them vertical. Anyway I've sized and shaped them to what I think is correct...the important thing is they are true to the airflow and vertical when viewed from the front!

I cut the fences from 4 pieces of 1/64" ply, cross ply laminated to make them nice and stiff at 1/32" final thickess.

wing fence 1.jpg

The wing was carefully marked up, the slots were cut with a brand knew scalpel and cleaned up with a file such that the fences were a nice push fit.

wing fence 2.jpg

wing fence 3.jpg

wing fence 4.jpg

They will be removed and primed separately to aid priming of the wing but then glued in place before the final top coat is added.

Thread: Alaskan Air National Guard Version
23/08/2020 21:51:37

Hey nice one Steve - great progress - getting this fus shaped has taken me way too long too!

Looking forward to getting to the stage you are now at, ready for the final top coat and all the detailing - enjoy this final few stages!

wink 2 (Don't forget to remask your canopy!)

Thread: RAAF Avon Sabre
23/08/2020 08:26:37

Fantastic to have you on board and taking an active part Skip - it's great to read that the website and magazine articles have influenced you (and no doubt others) into having a go and building traditonally from plans, this has always been one of our main objectives in the mass builds!

I look forward to seeing your Sabre develop. Plenty of time now we have put the event back to May 2021.

Stay safe and enjoy your building!!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!