By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
24/06/2019 12:50:22

A pictorial reminder of why we love flying these coastal slope sites so much... PSSA at the Lleyn over the years...

**LINK**

24/06/2019 12:32:45

Its been a bit quiet in here lads this last few weeks? I can only assume we're all busy beavering away getting 'frames ready for the PSSA's annual Lleyn MAC pilgrimage, which is of course THIS weekend 29th/30th June.

rcmefb1668.jpg

At this range the forecast is looking really promising so its time to ready the fleet and prepare for some great sloping! Conscious a few of us are making a long weekend of it - myself included! - On Saturday and Sunday (formal 'event' days) I will be in the Londis car park in Llanbedrog to confirm the chosen site at 09:30 each day - ill place a map on the phone box with the decision for any late comers, and for those already on site and not wanting to travel back to Llanbedrog we can confirm site on the phone!

We're expecting a good turn out too with a number of new and yet to be tested models - should be a great weekend!

editimg_8003.jpg

Thread: Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
02/06/2019 08:58:42

Superb work Dirk! The methods and skills demonstrated in how you're ably applying them is really impressive to see explained pictorially like this - we do have some serious talent within our ranks here that's for sure! thumbs up

I'm looking forward to seeing how you join and reinforce the 2 wing halves!

19/05/2019 06:54:44

Full report and embedded photos link now added to the PSSA website - many thanks to our 'roving reporter' Andy Meade for the words capturing all the action on Saturday! Volunteers for our next event at the Lleyn in June gratefully accepted!!

**LINK**

14/05/2019 20:21:15

Yes big thanks to Steve Houghton and the SWSA lads for hosting our PSSA event - Saturday proved to be a memorable afternoons flying on the Ice Cream slope after a slow start with light thermal type lift - odd at times, but by 3pm we were well away with 20-25mph NW winds and glorious light! Fantastic!!

Big thanks to all who travelled and made the most of the conditions when they could! I've edited some photos from Saturday which can be viewed here;

**LINK**

Congrats to Andy for his superb little O/D Sea Hawk, and to Martin Gay (and Gordon Studley - not in attendance) who after many months of toil have now ably demonstrated their new NA F-86 Sabre model - our chosen subject for the 2020 Mass Build. More on that a little later in the year!

06/05/2019 19:32:11

Nice one Pete glad you've had a change of heart and can now join us for the weekend! Looks like there is a few of us travelling down Friday now, good stuff! I've just finished my Hurricane repairs today to remove the Orme rock rash!

05/05/2019 20:53:42

Anyone else wanting to join us for the meal in Pontypridd on Saturday night? Please let Harry know your choice from the menu in advance - he has to report in to the pub by 7th May - many thanks! beer

02/05/2019 23:21:36

Hi Al,

A few of us staying at The Central Guesthouse on Pontypridd... sounds like you might be sorted though?? you arriving Sat or Friday night??

30/04/2019 12:27:20

Hiya Harry,

Many thanks for pulling the meal plans together, much appreciated. I'll PM you with my choice of food now wink

Come round quick this one! - I've still got some repairs to finish from the Orme blush

19/04/2019 00:00:57

Write up from our first event of the season is now uploaded to the PSSA website...

**LINK**

Thread: PSS A-4E 'Top Gun' Skyhawk
16/04/2019 19:03:52

Hi Mike - sorry for my slow response - been one of those weeks and I've not spent much time on the forum!

Sounds like you have a pretty decent coastal cliff - Its AUW dependant of course but this model is no floater and needs fairly strong lift before it gets properly going - and it doesn't really like flying too slow - one to save for 15mph or more regarding wind speed and good lifting slopes. In the right conditions the model is a great flyer - very agile with a superbly crisp roll rate. Loops require a lot of entry speed and careful energy management with the elevator over the top - but if you fly big, smooth manoeuvres it can be made to look totally convincing in flight!

Enjoy your build - and your first experience into the vast world of PSS! Perhaps see you at a PSSA meet soon!!

13/04/2019 21:35:04

Some more photos from last weekend up on the Ski Slope - was a great way to start the season!

**LINK**

Thread: One Eighteenth of a Canberra B.2
11/04/2019 12:04:42

Yes we were all impressed, especially in the light end wind conditions on the Saturday flight - it out performed the Jet Provosts - which is saying something!

editimg_5539.jpg

07/04/2019 22:48:37

A few photos from our 2019 Season Opener on The Great Orme this weekend.

A good meet all round, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon were the best slots for windspeed upto 22mph at times, the East slope always limits the number of models we see with the walk from the cars but still a good array of models on show and in action throughout the weekend!

editimg_5681.jpg

editimg_5539.jpg

editimg_5841.jpg

editimg_6149.jpg

editimg_6172.jpg

More photos and an event write up will be uploaded to the PSSA website soon...

03/04/2019 22:18:04

What a view from the East face

A timely reminder (as IF one were needed!) that this weekend 6th / 7th April sees us commence our planned series of flying events for the 2019 season upon The Great Orme in Llandudno.

As I write, the forecast looks fairly promising with North East and Easterly winds blowing both days - meaning we will be parking in the SKI SLOPE car park (past the pier and up through Happy Valley) and flying from the Easterly slope overlooking the pier.

Although less ideal when staging an event than the ‘Tank Track’ sites (primarily due to the walk from the cars) the Easterly is a superb lifting slope, one we have used successfully many times before! Assuming there is no significant change to the forecast and the winds remain from the East, please plan to meet for the usual Pilots Briefing in our established pitting area up top at 10am (not the car park or the ski cafe!)

A reminder too for anyone staying over for the weekend - we have a planned evening meal on Saturday night in ‘The Cottage Loaf’ from 19:30 – Market Street, Llandudno.

If you are travelling I look forward to seeing you and your models on ‘The Big Rock’ this weekend!

02/04/2019 20:10:15

Thanks for the best wishes Bob! The weekend forecast looks quite settled at present on the Easterly slope with good wind strengths for our PSS models - so its looking quite positive we'll get the 2019 season off to a good start!

Pete we will await your arrival up top! thumbs up

Thread: 2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread
25/03/2019 16:40:14

Looking forward to seeing your Hurricane Alan - great stuff!

25/03/2019 15:23:13

Great photos Trevor thanks for sharing - looks the business in that colourful scheme!! Glad you are enjoying your Hurricane on the slope!!

Still a few more out there yet to post some pics of their finished creation!?

Thread: Wanted...Rcmw mags
19/03/2019 10:06:05

Hi Phil,

I took some scans of the mag issues at the time to help folk building the model in the USA and in Japan with the same data (they couldn't buy the mag) - I still have them scans on my home PC so Ill email you later with the files...

To be honest though there is probably more detail and more pictures in the build blog which Andy has already kindly forwarded... cheers Andy

17/03/2019 14:29:28

Yep, Michael has confirmed the details here too Al, and I've added them to the list of 2019 PSSA events on the website and on our FB page too...

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us