By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Cooke

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Cooke has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
17/08/2019 08:27:27

superb work Dirk - great to see all the mould components laid out like that - a fantastic achievement - a labour of love!

Thread: Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread
11/08/2019 19:28:43

With the project launched 1st August when the G&M Models plans and short kit went on general sale, it's been great to see so much interest in the Sabre with folk already setting up build blogs and 'claiming' colour schemes - even though building isn't formally meant to begin until 1st November!

After some lengthy deliberation, I've taken the plunge and have finalised a choice of scheme for my take on this famous fighter - the distinctive Yellow and Blue stripes of 'Team Sabre' from the Yugoslavian Air Force - who I think flew 5 x F-86 during their short existence as a display team.

There's not many photos of the real examples on the net, but it seems quite a popular choice with the plastic modellers, and indeed the flight sim community too!

3-view from a plastic kit...

team sabre 3 view copy.jpg

A screen shot from a modern day PC based simulator...

team sabre simulated.jpg

Thread: Tucano 45" Decal set
10/08/2019 08:24:54

I'm sure that both Lee at Pyramid Models and Tim at Modelmarkings both did a set for the old Nigel Hawes electric Tucano...

Thread: Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan
10/08/2019 08:17:26

Hiya Pete

the SLEC CNC/Laser woodpack doesn't include the battery box. There's plenty of parts you could make from the plan ahead of the woodpack being realised, Fin and Rudder, Tailplane and Elevators, fuselage sides, air intake components. Ill re-email you the .jpg's I created to show what you get in the pack if that helps??

Thread: PSSA Sabre Woodpack List
08/08/2019 19:53:42

Kit, semi-kit or short-kit, call it what you will - the fact is there are 114 CNC machined pieces in the Mass Build Sabre package, saving the modeller many hours in creating those parts and ensuring absolute accuracy and repeatability for those important components of the build in any scale model, fuselage formers, wing ribs etc.

This is a build project, and we know very well that proper builders like to select their own balsa and like to be left some work to do as well. I think this intent has been captured very well, and from the evidence I've seen the CNC short kits are of very high quality.

08/08/2019 08:13:09

Hi Pete,

I've still not got the full size drawings yet from SLEC (due next week I think) but I'm sure the scale is 1/8th, I think Andy specifies this in the plan title box - I'm guessing you've scaled the full size span down to model size to get 1:7.17 - but please remember the model does have a slight wing span and area increase from true scale to improve all round model performance.

Without the drawings in front of me perhaps Andy B can confirm - this is a 1/8th scale model?

Thread: Bob's PSS Nimrod MRA4
07/08/2019 17:45:27

Very nice Bob - capturing the complex curves very nicely there!

04/08/2019 08:05:06
Posted by Monz on 03/08/2019 18:17:45:

Ooooh, I always fancied a JP but the mass build one was a bit small for me. Any details on the short kit? The link above doesn't have the JP?

Hiya Monz,

As Pete described - the 150% idea was born from within the PSSA ranks and is now being realised in short kit form through SLEC. Although the initial bulk order has helped us spread the one-off cost of laser and CNC machining, these short kits will be available to order on an ongoing basis through SLEC I'm sure. I don't have any details (woodpack ref etc) at this time as the first parts are still being made.

Once productionised, plans will be made available for purchase or download through the PSSA website and I will reference the SLEC woodpack there. At the moment its all a bit prototypical and not yet available to buy. Watch this space!

03/08/2019 18:11:23

Hiya Pete, good to see your blog underway - and if the photo at the top represents your chosen scheme for this bigger JP then that's a beauty!

Regarding the wing spars, they definitely come as part of the woodpack - they are slotted for rib position and tapered from root to tip so are quite intricate in form - hence the laser approach!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 03/08/2019 18:11:52

Thread: Cardboard hood for Camcorder screen
02/08/2019 15:53:34

Excellent Mark, great job!

'Dragon Cam' set the bar and went down in history!

'Concorde Cam' is just superb!

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
01/08/2019 16:34:50

All,

We've reached decision time on this weekends planned PSSA meet on the Orme, I'm afraid the forecast really is no better and I'm in agreement with a few other members that this weekends formal meet will reluctantly be CANCELLED.

See latest forecast from XC below, although the windspeed has improved Saturday it is dominated by the unflyable SE direction and there is also some significant rain. Sunday the winds are still light, variable in direction and again heavy rain is forecast.

Llandudno forecast 3-4 aug 19.jpg

As you know it is very rare we actually cancel an event, but in this instance I see no other realistic option. Apologies to all, roll on September - our next formal PSS meet is on the Orme again September 7th/8th. See you then!

30/07/2019 23:52:24

All,

As I'm sure those planning on travelling to the Orme this weekend for our PSSA event are already acutely aware, the forecast for this weekend is pretty awful for our sport, with low speed winds varying grossly in direction and rain currently forecast for Llandudno both days 3-4th August.

No final decision will be taken until Thursday afternoon/evening but reluctantly I have to explain that unless the forecast improves for either Saturday or Sunday then I will have to consider an event cancellation, something we very rarely have to do.

As always this will be a last resort, rest assured I will be watching the forecast closely all week for change but I have to consider those who are primed to travel huge distances to fly with us on the Orme. If there is even a small chance of success the event will continue to run, but I will need a positive change in the forecast to get me to that position between now and Thursday.

I hope you understand my predicament and logic - see the current forecast below from XC Weather!

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT A FINAL DECISION - I will continue to watch the weather forecast and will make a final call Thursday afternoon, I will then post again here and on Facebook Thursday night with a GO/NO GO decision. This should then still allow those with hotels booked etc to make the necessary cancellations without charge.

Fingers Crossed for an improved forecast, I do HATE cancelling events as you all know...

llandudno forecast 3-4 aug 19.jpg

Thread: Bob's PSS Nimrod MRA4
28/07/2019 23:47:36

Subscribed Bob! Great to see you on here showing us how its done - your Nimrod will be a winner off the slope!

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project
28/07/2019 11:41:19

Great to see you involved in another PSSA mass build project Toshiro - brilliant! thumbs up

27/07/2019 09:56:29

A reminder that Sabre plans and short kits can be ordered from August 1st - by emailing me at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk and registering your participation and requirements - I'll then forward all orders to G&M models who will request more details from you directly for the invoice.

Thread: F86 "Gamma" Build
27/07/2019 09:55:58

A reminder that Sabre plans and short kits can be ordered from August 1st - by emailing me at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk and registering your participation and requirements - I'll then forward all orders to G&M models who will request more details from you directly for the invoice.

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project
13/07/2019 07:50:05

Andy - I have asked Martin (as designer) to confirm for us here, but the panel lines lovingly applied by Gordon to the prototype model in the photos above would appear to accurately reflect the 4-panel slatted L/E of the earlier design.

I'll come clean and state I had never appreciated so much development had ever gone into the Sabre wing and that there were indeed 2 different plan forms!

embarrassed The shame...

09/07/2019 22:29:24

Building from the plan is straight forward (especially so with the use of the CNC parts!) so starting in November will give even the slowest of builders plenty of time to be flight ready for the event in June 2020. For those completely new to PSS or building from plans we encourage you to have a go, this really is one of the main drivers of our Mass Build activity! There will be loads of help along the way from others taking part on the forum – this is a great opportunity to learn some new skills and create a scale model of your own to be proud of! We see it as an exciting and fun way for us to promote Power Scale Soaring, whilst getting more of our members building, learning or coaching.

edit1024forumimg_8060.jpg

At the PSSA Fly-in in June, the Sabres will be assembled on The Great Orme for the first time and flown in a number of type specific ‘display’ slots. As in previous years, we’ll offer prizes for the Best Finished model, Best PSSA newcomer, Best Scale/Innovative feature and so on… It should certainly deliver another spectacle to remember up on the Orme and produce a unique ‘Fly for Fun’ event. Many thanks once again to PSSA member Bob Jennings for our fantastic Sabre Mass Build event logo!

If you would like to take part in the PSSA Sabre Mass Build Project please do let me know, email me at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk to register your participation and / or place an order for the short kit and plans!

edit1024forumimgsabre2.jpg

I do hope you can join us and take an active part in this project - and like me, you are eagerly looking forward to the mass gathering of North American F-86 Sabres next Summer!

09/07/2019 22:28:25

The CNC short kit contains over 100 pre-shaped birch ply and balsa parts needed to complete the model, as with previous designs there is additional balsa sheeting and strip stock required to finish the airframe ready for covering.

plans sheet forum.jpg

G&M Models can offer builders taking part the 2 sheet plan for £16.00 plus postage, or a combined set of CNC parts and the plan for £70.00 plus postage. Orders can be placed from August 1st by sending an email confirming your requirements to the PSSA – contact us at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk with your details and G&M models will be in touch to confirm your order! Canopies can be ordered direct from Steve Davis at Vortex Vacforms for just £8.00 (canopy order reference CN3)

We’d like building to commence from 1st November 2019 - so there’s plenty of time to purchase your short kit and ready the workshop! Obviously, you can make a start anytime but we’re keen to get folk building simultaneously allowing the sharing of ideas, knacks and lessons learnt via build blogs in this dedicated www.modelflying.co.uk forum section, aiding other modellers whilst they are at a similar stage of the build. In that light, I’d invite all Mass Build participants to create their own blog to cover your individual Sabre build journeys!

edit1024forumimg.jpg

09/07/2019 22:27:03

In June 2020 the Power Scale Soaring Association are planning to stage another ‘Mass Build’ flying event following the success and popularity of previous builds with the Jet Provost, the Skyhawk and most recently the Hurricane.

Once again the Association would like to invite you to take part!

We hope to get as many participants building simultaneously from 1st November 2019 and over the Winter months - with the aim of flying the new models at a ‘Fly for Fun’ event upon the Great Orme, Llandudno in June 2020 (exact weekend yet to be decided). For anyone wanting to take part who’s not currently a PSSA member, drop me a line at webmaster@pssaonline.co.uk and join us, Association membership is FREE!

Our latest project is focused on a new plan drawn by PSSA members Martin Gay and Gordon Studley, the North American F-86 Sabre. Spanning 43.5” with a target flying weight of 4lb, this 1/10th scale vintage jet is a conventionally built-up PSS model for 2 to 4 channel R/C.

edit1024forumimg_7607.jpg

The prototype (pictured above) has been fully flight tested and refined over the past few months and the comprehensive set of plans are now available to purchase directly from Martin and Gordon through G&M Models. In addition, they have also just released a CNC short kit of birch ply and balsa shaped parts specifically for our use.

My sincere thanks go to Martin and Gordon for their dedicated efforts and drive throughout the design and development phase of this exciting new PSS model!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us