By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Harris

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Harris has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
20/04/2019 18:14:05

Mike,

Feel free to add you build photos here if you want to.

Rich

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
17/04/2019 21:22:06

John,

If it hangs in that position it should be fine thumbs up

Rich

17/04/2019 21:19:48

Hi Mike,

Glad your enjoying the build thumbs up

Yes, the 6mm square balsa strips runs from back to front on the lower inner edges of the fuselage sides to make for the radius sanded to these edges after.

If I have a photo I will upload, its no problem to draw a cross section of the fuselage if you think it will help?

Rich

17/04/2019 09:41:14

John,

Welcome to the forum, I had an email only a few weeks ago regarding something similar with a second hand Panther a gent had bought. He couldn't get the hang angle yet the model balanced an the plan CG. I asked him to send me a photo and was soon obvious what was going on, the head was round the wrong way.

Now I'm not saying this is what has happened to yours but if the CG is correct then perhaps the centre line of the spindle is in the right place? Its so easy to get it off its correct centre, I have done this many many times. The important thing is the distance between the horizontal CG and the distance back to the rotor spindle centre. The before and after photos from the email are shown below.

Rich

received_391395921644578.jpeg

received_333266287295827.jpeg

Edited By Richard Harris on 17/04/2019 09:44:05

16/04/2019 12:36:37

Great stuff David, I look forward to your build. Unfortunately the Razer heads are out of stock right now but will soon be available again. Malcolm is also making his adjustable motor mount available though the drawing is included in Part 2 for those who fancy making it.

I have had a number of emails regarding the colour scheme, the prototype projection drawing and template for the Union Jack are available HERE free to download. The templates were printed for me at Staples (Now Office Outlet ), cut out and stuck them onto covering, these were cut then applied to the blue base colour.

Rich

14/04/2019 21:02:39

Good news, Malcolm @ Coolwind has now added all of the CNC cut FG parts for those who don't fancy tackling them.

They are located HERE

Rich

14/04/2019 20:56:14

Hi David,

The choice is yours, that said, if you drill the mounting hole on the CG make sure that the blades are fully covered first as they can become 'tail heavy' after covering. For this reason I now drill the mounting holes 1mm behind the CG as a get out of jail card.

Just like our fixed wings a tail heavy blade can become pitch sensitive, this can cause them to go out of track which, in turn causes vibration which isn't good through the head and controls.

Personally, I mark and drill each blade individually purely for the reason as I cant guarantee each will have a matching CG position (wood density variation and my building etc)

Hope this make sense?

Rich

09/04/2019 09:28:32

Gavin,

The 3 test models on in the UK have all used the blue HK head consistently over the last few years so we know they work well. It was only because they have dried up over the last 12 months that Malcolm decided to designed his own taking the opportunity to improved upon the original. All of the hole centres match so if anyone does break their HK unit the plates will transfer over onto the Razer unit. Generally it's the front arm that goes on the HK head, Steve Jones modifies this part on his from aluminium I believe.

I hope you find a new field to fly and that you have a go at the Revolver smiley

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 09/04/2019 09:29:22

Thread: What's your do everything model, or do you have one of everything?
04/04/2019 09:29:01

My most flown model at the moment is my enlarged 2 bladed Cruiser as it can handle speeds that would leave fixed wing grounded yet can float around in still air all within the confines of the strip.

In second place is my ARTF foamie WOT 4, not quite as much fun as the Cruiser but a great hack.

fb_20170719_22_19_43_saved_picture.jpg

02/04/2019 10:09:07

As promised a rough list of building materials for the up coming Revolver II, all of the balsa sheet is of medium grade. If you are able to select the blade balsa and spruce so that its density and weight is as close match.

I will add the GF sheet needed but Malcolm at Coolwind models has kindly agreed to supplying all of these parts CNC cut as well as the sintered 3d printed head. Also available will be free files to a 3D printed head unit, these will be on Coolwinds 'download' page, a friend has printed these for me so I will post how it goes together in the coming month as there are bearings etc that will needed to be sourced to complete.

Construction Materials

1 off : 3mm x 102 x 915 balsa sheet

4 off : 6mm x 102 x 915 balsa sheet

1 off: 3mm x 300 x 600 Lite Ply sheet

2 off : 6 x 13 x 915mm spruce strip (1/4" x 1/2" in old money)

3 off : 6 x 10 x 915mm spruce strip (1/4" x 3/8"

1 off: length of 10SWG piano wire

1 off : 3.2mm x 13mm TE section

1 off: 6mm thick sheet of depron

1 off: 0.4mm thick Fibre Glass sheet

1 off: 0.8mm thick fibre glass sheet

1 off: 1.5mm thick fibre glass sheet

The rest is block wood and small pieces that I presume most will have knocking around in their scrap box.

If I think of anything I have missed I will add

The 3D printed head is explained by its designer in the video below starting from 1.27

Rich

Thread: Snap Dragon
20/03/2019 17:46:12

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the late reply, have just measured my spinner and it is 25mm diameter though it is smaller than the ply disc at the front of the cowl by several mm.

Rich

14/03/2019 22:43:02

I have now had confirmation that my Revolver II will be published in the May edition, I will add a full list of what is needed nearer the time.

Friend and fellow Gyronut Chris from down under has completed the fourth test model, he went a different way and carved his from foam then glassed it. I believe it has been a bit warm but he has flown it now, I'm hoping he will find the time to make a flight video in due course.

A photo of his example, note the cowl !

dscf0015.jpg.jpg

Rich

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
13/03/2019 14:19:56

Talking of MicroMold remember the Wallis?

I don't remember them coming out but have some how managed to acquire 3 of them, I did get one in the air briefly several years ago and it was truly awful to fly, Id be surprised if anyone had any luck with them.

Here is the one that took to the air

Micro Mold Wallis

Thread: Piper Pawnee
27/02/2019 07:31:18

Thanks Chris thumbs up

Peter,

I have pulled the plan out of the mag and you are quite correct, doubler 2 is missing which sits between F2 and F3. It must have been Gremlins in the system as my proof checked plan clearly had this doubler included as you can see below (the one on the left is the proof, right is the mag).

No problem though, just PM me your email address and I will send over a PDF with the doubler on (and anyone else who wants it).

Sorry for any confusion, these things happen.

Rich

20190226_233645.jpg

26/02/2019 23:33:27

Peter,

Glad to hear your going to give the Pawnee a go.

I will look at the plan tomorrow but I'm certain I drew both fuselage doublers, if I haven't I apologise.

The carbon tube is set into the fuselage and is the inner wing strut mounting point, you could use plastic or brass tubing for this. The spread washer is to spread the load of the m3 wing mount bolts on the underside of the fuselage. Again, I'm sure I drew these but I will check for you.

Rich

Thread: Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan
22/02/2019 21:17:26

Daniel,

I think that the engine fitted in Rich's 1.2x Cruiser is an OS25fp so a 30 size 4 stroke should fit the bill for this enlargement. I have seen this model fly on many occasions and its a very well matched combination.

Rich

22/02/2019 21:16:56

Daniel,

I think that the engine fitted in Rich's 1.2x Cruiser is an OS25fp so a 30 size 4 stroke should fit the bill for this enlargement. I have seen this model fly on many occasions and its a very well matched combination.

Rich

Thread: Piper Pawnee
22/02/2019 21:11:44

Thank you Mark yes

Here are a few photos that didn't quite make the grade, they may or may not be of help to potential builders

cropped 1.jpg

crop 2.jpg

crop 3.jpg

crop 4.jpg

crop 6.jpg

img_5330.jpg

img_5332.jpg

img_5333.jpg

img_5340.jpg

img_5344.jpg

img_5349.jpg

img_5361.jpg

img_5368.jpg

img_5372.jpg

Thread: Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan
20/02/2019 21:01:27
Posted by Mowerman on 20/02/2019 17:55:14:

My cruiser build has been going slowly with the fuselage built ready for covering, then disaster, when searching for some ply to make the sanding jig for the blades I lost my balance and managed to sit on the fuselage crying

Mowerman,

I bet its just a scratch! I witnessed a Cruiser have a mid air a couple of years ago, the covering was holding the now two piece fuselage together. He was going to bin it and build a new fuselage but I believe it repaired quite easily as I'm sure yours could.

Rich

20/02/2019 20:55:41

Richard,

Steve is spot on, shrinking too much makes the plastic ripple then it crystallizes, less is better.

Good to hear you have them both flying well, funny thing is that BURKY started out of as a bit of an experiment in readiness for a scale subject using the rear of the fuselage as its primary vertical area, a great flier but better suited to calmer weather with those slab sides. Where as the Panther is a different beast as it will fly in almost any conditions. The rudder and roll combination that you are starting to get the hang of is excellent, you will be surprised at just how much it will improve your fixed wing flying. I cant believe I flew for years happy using roll to turn and rudder to do the odd stall turn, knife edge or spin, a powerful control in the right circumstances.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with 2 Panthers in the air at once, thanks for the nice feedback.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 20/02/2019 20:56:29

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us