By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuphedd

Here is a list of all the postings Stuphedd has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The pure joy of model flying
20/01/2021 13:41:29

I got a diesel in the late 40s early 50s. It took a lot of pocket money ,Mills 2.4 if I remember Dad was away so had to learn /teach myself , What came naturally to me was that the comp screw was the most important thing to adjust whilst starting so that task was given to my right hand whilst I flicked with my left , Scars from Etas still evident )

Then I joined some con line mates and soon realised I had to stand inside the circle to start engines , not ideal for team race or combat flying ,

the weird thing to me is that I am not left handed ??!!

Also taught myself RC but thats another story !!!

Thread: New scam alert!
19/01/2021 11:37:00

I got my first email scam yesterday , I get a good few on the land line but the call blocker normally gets them before I do

The email was from BT on what looked like their standard email format saying that there was a problem with my account and I should log into it using the Link on the botttom of the page . My spelling is not good but I did notice this one ,which got me concerned!

The page looked authentic even with BT registered number and address.

I rang BT who took ages to answer , but they confirmed it was a scam and to forward the email to their Phising Dept

so keep alert chaps

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
19/01/2021 11:22:09

arriving at the local scrap yard in the early70s i asked what the scrap man did with all the cars he was crushing.

I send them to Japan, they have no iron/steel resources they have to import it all, then he added where do you think the name DATSUN comes from ??

DaimlerAustinTriumphSunbeamU--------I did not hear the rest through laughing

Thread: Plastic Degradition - UV? - Aging?
18/01/2021 17:11:56

Whenever I bought a "pre-owned" plane from Punctillio Hinckley , Justin , (the owner) would always check the plastic horns and exterior plastic bits for age hardening on older models ,and then sold you the new ones to replace the ones that failed !!

The good old days laugh

Thread: Can you identify this model aeroplane?
15/01/2021 18:20:03

Thanks chaps ,

The CAP certainly has a "ring " to it , and the other "lead" , I have a copy of the mag in which it was first published !( if I can find it !)

cheers

15/01/2021 15:36:11

img_2691.jpgimg_2690.jpgcan anybody help ??

started this many many years ago and with this lock down I have decided to finish a few relics off,

This is a Tiger Moth , I think a sport one not scale , it is 57" span , plug in top wings , bottom wings havethe leading edge cut away , so "slots" onto the body, Cannot find the plan or anything like it ?? Nothing printed on the wooden bits , so may not have been a kit, so a plan maybe ??

any ideas ? sorry one photo is upsideup !!img_2689.jpg

Thread: Home brew diesel
14/01/2021 12:22:50

I bought a 5 gl drum of M way back in 70s ! and I still have about 6 pints left !! As a club we bought R and M by the 5 gallons to make our own glow fuel , as this is the remnants of those days .

did not know it was no longer availiable ! So "my" fuel may soon cease ! Cos I have run out of "R"totally.

cheers

14/01/2021 11:58:52

I have been making up Diesel fuel for the "lads" of "our" club for a good few years now .and they say its as good as commercial stuff. You need to make it for a few people to make it commercially viable , but the way I do it , about 1/2 price

Castrol M 25% a gallon lasts a life time !!

Ether 35% from Southern Model craft at Show

Parrafin 40%from Garden center

and up to 3% Da Nitrate from Southern Modelcraft at show

Parrafinthe alchemist 001 (small).jpg

Thread: Aliexpress VAT charges
10/01/2021 16:08:57

I also got caught out on an item I bought from ebay last week for £12 , when I came to pay for it , it was £14.40 !!

Not there till I read the small print , so yes beware !!! and it was a RC part !!

Thread: Motor stand offs or boxes?
08/01/2021 10:06:02

img_1733.jpgimg_1732.jpgA box would have been a bit difficult with this one !img_1731.jpg

07/01/2021 22:38:06

I used to use "boxes" but I have found that threaded rod , from B&Q 4,5,6 mm allows you to play with the down and side thrust settings and get them to your preference ,

cheers

Thread: More good service
30/12/2020 18:22:31

I would like to add Grabit Adhesives To the list of Good Service Companies .

After flying on Sunday I noticed a crack in my foamy fuz, It needed a bit of foam safe cyno , no space to run "normal glue". so Monday ordered some from Grabit , knowing its a holiday , so what a surprise to find it delivered this morning .Great I can now mend my plane before the weekend comes .

But tier 4 has come to spoil the party !

cheers folks

Happy New Year

30/12/2020 18:22:31

I would like to add Grabit Adhesives To the list of Good Service Companies .

After flying on Sunday I noticed a crack in my foamy fuz, It needed a bit of foam safe cyno , no space to run "normal glue". so Monday ordered some from Grabit , knowing its a holiday , so what a surprise to find it delivered this morning .Great I can now mend my plane before the weekend comes .

But tier 4 has come to spoil the party !

cheers folks

Happy New Year

Thread: Durafly Tundra
26/12/2020 12:38:50

Seasonal greetings one and all !

Mine started well yesterday when I got a Tundra , little used but brilliant .

a couple of questions ,

what is the difference between , the original version and the V2 one ???? ( I think mine is a MK1??)

And my motor is an Aero star 900kv , its says 950 in the manuals ?

The v2 manual fills me with confidence when on page 20 the trouble shooting page it states

Model moves backwards, reason prop installed backwards, solution swap the prop around !!!

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
24/12/2020 16:47:29

img_2644.jpgimg_2640.jpgThis is the second New but very Old model that I have put on this thread , the first being the early 50s Sprite !

With lock down (and the weather ) driving us "nuts", I decided to get an airframe which I started in 1968 !!! finished to a state whereby it might fly !

The wing and tail feathers had been nylon covered and "decorated", the fuselage needed finishing and the radio installed. It was originally for free flight! So had to be adapted for radio , not that straight forward as it may appear.I also replaced the Frog 150 with a brushless.

In 1970 we moved house ,hence the main reason I never finished it .It was put in the loft during the move where it has remained till a couple of weeks ago , As you can see one side of the wings are a different colour to the other , the fuel proofer must have "aged" a bit !! other wise it appears to be in reasonable condition and well worth a flight attempt.

I did take it out this weekend and give it some taxiing runs , hence the mud splatters .I shall have to wait till the patch dries out before a proper test flight .img_2635.jpg

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 24th Dec - last one!
23/12/2020 19:27:13

last chance saloon !!

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 23rd Dec
22/12/2020 20:47:28

and let there be L?????!

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 22nd Dec
21/12/2020 20:17:26

another day another dabble !!

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 21st Dec
20/12/2020 22:09:04

well worth a punt !!

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 20th Dec
19/12/2020 21:47:49

In it to?????it!!

Support Our Partners
Slec
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!