By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kit Morpeth

Here is a list of all the postings Kit Morpeth has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Kit's 72" Spit build
20/02/2013 09:34:59

On with the tailplane now. Fairly straightforward. Got the leading edge to do and chamfer on ailerons yet. I left these deliberately so that I could blend the edges easier, well that was the intention.

tailplane 60% done 1.jpg

20/02/2013 09:31:00

Hi again,

Well I managed the fairings after a struggle (and some filler.. whoops!) but got there in the end..

wing fairing.jpg

31/01/2013 12:41:05

And I added some formers to help with the top. and now I expect there will be much cursing as things get tricky smile p

fairing formers.jpg

31/01/2013 12:38:24

The thin ply lower fairings are glued in place.

ply fairing in.jpg

31/01/2013 12:33:21

No I hadnt seen it CS so thanks for that. It was interesting about the paint and I wonder where Tony would have sourced that from?

Ive started on the fairings as the next two pics show (bit dark sorry about that).

30/01/2013 08:59:27

Hi Martin,

Oh dear that will be considerably more power than im gonna see with the Saito 20. I hope its not going to be significantly underpowered sad

29/01/2013 19:08:32

Oh by the way Danny I'm planning on the elevator horn being inboard, thought you would approvewink 2

A question... in the photo below you can see that the wing rear ctr is sitting about 3mm above line of fus. Should I be cutting the fus back to lower it?

root of wing in fus.jpg

29/01/2013 19:03:21

Ive started to look at the fairings and have cut out the ply bases but I need to do some work to make space for them to fit. Here the wing is fixed in place btw had some fun finding M6 x 70 long nylon wing bolts but OK now.

starting fairings.jpg

29/01/2013 18:59:40

And the Saito petrol 4 stroke that it is to house....

saito fg20 petrol 4s.jpg

29/01/2013 18:58:24

My engine bay is sporting additional Al spacers to shift engine fwd and also provide weight (Tony added a lb!) and I thought it could aid as a heatsink.

engine bay.jpg

29/01/2013 18:55:38

Some more pics for background. Danny yes the wing was just lying on and not located in pic you commented on. This is the R aileron using Herri's sugested way of hiding hinges. btw what should thro be?

r aileron in situ.jpg

29/01/2013 16:57:55

Then a jump with fuselage built and trial fitted to wings (had to be on the kitchen table as only a small workshop lol wing on the fus.jpg

29/01/2013 16:55:51

Joined before top skinningwing joined.jpg

29/01/2013 16:54:34

Then the rightright wing in build.jpg

29/01/2013 16:43:19

A photo or two to see if I have sussed it....The left wing in buildleft wing in build.jpg

29/01/2013 09:39:34

Thanks again guys. Loved the pic Danny. Hope to see a similar view some day from the transmitter end (wooh scary lol)

28/01/2013 19:57:04

Hi Again,

Thanks so much Danny and for CS and BB kind encouragement. I couldnt find your build blog originally Danny (hopeless with this site still yet) so the pics were a great help. I'm afraid my build will not be Fenton std but its a great challenge and lots of fun.

The tip re pre-bending the thin balsa is a good one you must have been well pee'd when you had a look after all the patient waiting

Now I do have a few photies (courtesy of my mob phone) but know not how to upload em so any guidance there would be terrific.

Oh and I do know the end of the Fenton Spit I could have cried!

Thread: New SC46 - Running issue
28/01/2013 16:46:12

All previous comments make sense but you didnt say what the engine was fitted to. I have seen problems with insufficient cooling air to the engine and more importantly out of any cowl that may be shrouding it. I had a problem with a 4 stroke cutting due to overheating in the plane. A bit more hacking at the underside of the rear of the cowl to improve airflow solved the problem.

Kit

Thread: Kit's 72" Spit build
28/01/2013 16:21:49

Hi Guys,

Its been a while but finally can start making progress on my spit again (My flat is finished thank heavens). The fus is built now and have done the bumps for the rocker covers... Christmas what a job! Now I think i have reached a reall tricky section which is to build the wing fairings.

Does anyone have any pics that illustrate exactly whats to be done? Plus perhaps any tips/does and donts on methods used. Specifically does the 0.8 mm ply under fairing extend from leading to trailing edge of the wing or only as far as F3 I know Danny Fenton and Herri who have been very helpful in the past have done this so perhaps they wont mind sharing experiences (fingers crossed)

08/12/2011 11:18:45
Hi Herri and Danny,

Your question Danny, on which model I am planning to base my model on, has prompted me to have a scan around and have plumped for a VB of the 243 squadron which finished up on service in North Africa namely SN M N821 Now I need to discover who its pilot was.
Im going to have a shot at aileron hingeing a la Herri as seems a pretty good plan. I shall have a go at pics soon.
Cheers
Kit
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues