By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Cotsford

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Cotsford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Return of the SMA
24/09/2020 16:43:43

I must be ahead of the curve for once, I bought this Ministick lazer cut kit from Kits123123 (Wayne) off Ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Microstick parts.jpg

which should result in this 30" Stick

Microstick.jpg

I also have a Galahad kit sitting on the sideboard waiting to be built.

Then there's the Blink

blink.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 24/09/2020 16:46:19

Thread: Ofcom trace interference to a lightbulb
24/09/2020 12:04:11

How does that bulb work, some form of arc? Remember the crude spark gap transmitters (I only know of them from museums, honest disgust )

Thread: Ballerina by EarlyBird
21/09/2020 22:27:34

Never doubted it would Steve thumbs up

Thread: Vintage model ID please
21/09/2020 11:06:23

1947 design iirc Jim, it's got a 6 year head start on me laugh. There were some really elegant designs floating around post-WW2 that put the ubiquitous Junior 60s to shame.

Thread: Airborne Battery Pack Duration
21/09/2020 10:53:10

What type of model are you flying Tosh? In my experience it's not hard to get 10 minute flights on electric - unless you fly non-stop aerobatics, 3D or an EDF. Admittedly small foam models like Riots or Wot4s can chew through packs in 6 or 7 minutes without trying but like Jonathon I could get an easy 10 minutes from a Wot4 ARTF on 4S throwing it around a fair bit, though on one occasion fling a mix of aerobatics and circuits and bumps I was airborne for well over 20 minutes!

Electric flight does need a bit more throttle management to get the best out of the power train compared to IC, but then I've flown a few IC models where 7 minutes flying meant landing NOW or landing quiet!

Thread: Vintage model ID please
21/09/2020 10:36:45
Posted by Jim Carss on 21/09/2020 10:05:06:

Eros without a doubt,just wait till Bob Cotsford come along coz he has one and its just as pretty.

smile p

wrong tense Jim, I sold mine to Paul at Kingfisher a couple of years ago. Don's looks to have a one piece wing rather than the original plug in panels and the tailplane is fixed with proper elevators and no separate upper fin, a straight 3 channel build from the start. Mine was a bit of a porker owing to me getting carried away with the paint but it was still overpowered with an OS 48 fourstroke.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/09/2020 10:37:42

Thread: The Dark Nights Fix-up 2020
18/09/2020 17:47:53

After spending most of the year catching up on repairs, mods and half finished models while in self-imprisonment I'm running short of restorations and similar projects for this winter. I do have a couple though, one being a Blackhorse P-40 that needs a new undercarriage, de-glowing (filling in the unnecessary holes) and a general makeover. The second that comes to mind is a Jungmeister (snap Mike) that I foolishly covered in Glosstex that needs de-glowing, then the Glosstex stripped off and righteously burnt before a bit of minor bracing of unsupported longerons, correcting wrongly drawn sweepback and finally recovering in something considerably lighter than the Glosstex.

Both of these will be kitted out for electric power.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/09/2020 17:48:55

Thread: Pegasus/Galaxy Models Musketeer
17/09/2020 16:23:27
Posted by Jonathan M on 17/09/2020 14:03:23:

That's right Bob, a bit dearer but immensely more satisfying! What was the Merco 35 like?

I remember the Merco as being pretty reliable and easy enough to start but noisy by today's standards and power would be way down on the later schneurle ported ball raced engines. They were fairly big capacity engines for club flying in the early 70s, how times have changed!

17/09/2020 13:57:09

Back in the mists of times gone by I had one powered by a Merco 35 which was perfectly adequate by the standards of the day. Regarding costs vs ARTFs, in my experience kit builds often work out more expensive once you tot up the cost of all the accessories and covering but you have the satisfaction that it's all your own work.

Thread: Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang
14/09/2020 15:39:17
Posted by Jonathan Sharland on 14/09/2020 09:29:24:

Paul

When you say soak, what exactly are you doing. ( sorry for the newbie questions).

It's what it says on the tin, soaking the balsa strip in warm water for 15 minutes or so. How long is a matter of practise as it depends on how dense the wood is, and how thick. It softens the bond between the wood fibres allowing the wood to be bent further than it could be if left dry. If held in the desired curve or shape while it dries out it takes on a set reducing the stresses in the final structure. For harder/more dense woods or larger sections (as in full size boat building) steaming is substituted for soaking.

Don't know about Youtube tutorials, do a Google search for 'basic aeromodelling books' and get started building up a library.  Don't worry about the age of some of the books that come up, techniques haven't altered that much where selecting, cutting and joining balsa wood is concerned except where the types and brand names of glues is concerned.  For that type 'glues' into the search box above.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/09/2020 15:45:01

Thread: Laser 80 - what would YOU build for it....?
12/09/2020 12:10:50
Posted by perttime on 12/09/2020 04:59:02:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 11/09/2020 22:22:04:

Specs say .60-90 2 stroke, are you saying that they are understating the power needed? That would be a first face 1

The Laser is a 4 stroke. Right?

which should be in the ballpark of the .60 2 stroke quotedwink

Thread: Got away with it!
12/09/2020 12:07:04

I don't remember it being so wayward David, but then again my thumbs were much younger back when it was IC powered. Certainly IC engines don't typically accelerate as quickly as electric motors and as long as I don't flick the throttle to full it doesn't do the 90 degree turn and it's wayward tendencies are manageable more often than not.

Thread: vintage covering options advice please
12/09/2020 11:58:52
Posted by Pete Collins on 12/09/2020 10:16:41:

I built a Spectre back in the day - also with a paw 19 and what did i cover it with? Metallic green Monokote! Plastic covering has been around for a lot longer than some people think.

Mid to late '60s was when I discovered that covering a combat wing with the new Solarfilm and powering it with a diesel lead to a very wrinkly finish! Before and after that one I covered my C/L models with lightweight nylon rather than tissue on open structure wings as they bounced better that waylaugh

Thread: Laser 80 - what would YOU build for it....?
11/09/2020 22:22:04
Posted by Tim Flyer on 11/09/2020 17:57:33:

I would not put your 80 in a Seagull p47 Thunderbolt (unless it’s the 55inch wingspan 60 size model!) The 63inch wingspan kit says 15cc but if it’s a 4stroke glow it needs a 100 or 120. I regularly fly my Seagull Thunderbolt which is perfect with a Laser 100. An 80 would certainly under power it . The 55 inch wingspan version should be fine with an 80 but I think I would also go for a sports scale aerobatic plane. One of the classic aerobatic kits might be great fun with the 80 ?

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/09/2020 18:01:48

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/09/2020 18:07:33

Specs say .60-90 2 stroke, are you saying that they are understating the power needed? That would be a first face 1

What sort of weight did yours end up at Tim? It's a similar size to the La7 so thought it would need similar power.

11/09/2020 15:33:59

What type of models do you like? Kit/plan or ARTF? The WotsWot goes well on an 80 as has been said. How about a Seagull P47 Thunderbolt, that should be ok, or any .60-.90 size aerobat. Might be a bit much for a Bolero, though it would be fun if you could refrain from opening the throttle in S&L flight as mine was running a 1300W electric setup and held together with a little care where it was pointing when given full throttle.

How about a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc?  A well made kit that flies really nicely.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/09/2020 15:35:26

Thread: Got away with it!
11/09/2020 12:00:36

After I converted my old Veron Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter to 3S electric power I found that the biggest problem with take-offs was that opening the throttle too quickly caused an instant 90 degree turn to the left, opening too slowly allowed for ground loops to develop. If kept straight it would float off the ground in a few feet, maybe 5 yards on a flat calm day, but the challenge was in keeping it straight long enough for the rudder to become effective. Tailskids are a real pain! At least it flies well enough once it's up, it must do as it reached 40 years old this year cake

Thread: switching of main lipo battery
10/09/2020 18:53:40
Posted by kc on 09/09/2020 16:46:22:

The link to 4 Max shows the plug and a harness for XT60 to connect 2 Lipos in series - is this harness the one to use in a 'shorting plug' setup too? ( logically it seems to be the thing to use but it doesn't say so! )

kc,the external shorting plug has two female esc type connectors and one male for the battery, one female is used for the external socket to accept a shorting plug and the other for the esc connection. The serial connection Y leads have two male to connect to batteries and one female for the esc connection. The external shorting plugs are further down the page!

Thread: Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang
09/09/2020 22:32:52
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 09/09/2020 20:12:13:

Yeah got the window shut just in time.... mind you it waiting in err for the wings...blush

Better not let it near the Red Bull then face 1

Thread: To stabilise or not to stabilise - the gyro question
09/09/2020 13:26:07
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 09/09/2020 13:07:34:

I have Lemon stabilised receivers in three models. It does make them a bit less twitchy if flying in gusty weather. The other potential advantage is that they can be set so that in the event of signal loss the receiver Whdefaults to full stabilisation mode and will attempt to fly the model straight and level with the motor off, mine are actually set to allow a slightly nose down attitude with a little rudder offset,

I'm starting to do the same, in my case using FrSky gyro receivers. Is it cheating? Depends on how you use it. I see it as an assistant for taking off or landing recalcitrant models, especially on a site like ours where we get a lot of turbulence. Why put up with stressful situations, it's supposed to be a relaxing hobby. If I want stress then I'll go back to working for a living!

Thread: Wing damage repair advice wanted!
07/09/2020 12:06:52

I'd repair the foam by cutting in a new section of foam as previously described, then I'd peel off a strip of veneer down to the wing root wide enough to take in the damage and replace that with new wood. If I was just going to repair only the damaged area I'd cut in the new veneer at an angle of around 30 degrees to the span. It would however be a compromise of practicality over restoring maximizing strength, but unless you intend stressing it with high G maneuvers it should be ok. Whichever method you use the most important thing would be to jig up the wing while bonding the veneer to avoid inducing a warp.

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!