By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Murphy 1

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Murphy 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lidl multitool/ dremel clone
08/07/2020 09:25:31

i have a parkside from lidl and wanted to swap the useless collet chuck also. see a thread about generic chuck and parkside so ordered from ebay,using the specs quoted and it did not fit,only cheap but annoying.i will try to find the details of the chuck so it might hep others

Thread: How Many Wing Ribs
04/07/2020 23:27:46

With this sort of question I am surprised you have not got more "ribbing" : )

Thread: cnc/laser cutting ally or carbon
04/07/2020 14:48:48

If anyone is still watching or interested here is a update.

Due to the lock down and travel limitations I was not able to show the parts that are weak and need beefing up. I have just hade replacement parts arrive.

The hollow part tends to bend and crease so can not be straightened and the other thiner part is solid and just snaps.

The pictures of the metal braces available to strengthen don't show on the post now for some reason,but these had cutouts which weakened them!

The above post shows the cut outs on one piece. I think going with solid parts will beef them up much more.

dscn1153.jpg

dscn1152.jpg

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
24/06/2020 10:52:25

When I was young most young lads had some interest in models. very few have this interest now. I would say the most interest is in rc cars.

Most young dads now are pc game players so their kids are not around real hobbies,

I don't think enough youngsters are interested for the hobby to continue as it as over the years.

Thread: New Beginner to Model Helicopters
10/06/2020 19:01:26

Malcolm, not so sound flippant BUT be prepared to spend lots on spares AND make sure parts are available for the model! Been there.

Thread: cnc/laser cutting ally or carbon
10/06/2020 10:34:23

These were the first drawings I made up. The shape is still the same but decided to do away with the cut outs . Think they are there more for show.hjkj 001.jpg

09/06/2020 18:11:01

Little up date, Barrie let me know what details to put on the drawing I had left off on the previous.

Barrie is now doing magic with CAD.

08/06/2020 12:12:48

After a PM to Barrie this is where we are now.

I am not able to send the parts to Barrie , I spend most weekends at the coast and that's where the model is and I will not be there for several weeks. I was able to draw the shape and make a template before I left thinking that would be ok.

I got home and scanned the drawing to send to Barrie,I used the PM method so the scan was not full size. It was enough for Barrie to say that he could work from the drawing,many thanks.

Barrie did say that the drawing was lacking in details in places.namely hole size and centres. So I will do that and send to Barrie via email so the scan will be full size.

I had a choice of carbon and ally. I think carbon would be the best option BUT ally/metal will look more realistic for the model. Barrie as mentioned difffrent types/grades of ally and will help with that.

I have already used one set ok these genuine parts but there where rubbish, 2mm thick but would bend very very easily. I think the cut outs are in the wrong place OR weaken to much. So I plan to leave solid.

So that's where things are at the moment,Barrie as been great and looking at this as a project while really helping me out.

Will post when there is a update,some might be interested,not in my part but in Barries work.

07/06/2020 19:42:58

Barrie, The parts will sandwich a plastic part and are held together with four m3 bolts OR three m2.5 bolts. The parts need to be 2mm

So one side is only on view. I need 2 types and 8 of each ,so 16 in total.

One part was easy to trace around, The other I could not trace so took ages to draw. I do not know if this is the correct method but I have scaned the drawing and put a ruler for scale in case my printer does not scan at 1.1

Would you like to see the drawing to see what you think? If so what is the best way to send? I am checking the posts as quick as I can so forgive any delay Barrie,many thanks for the time.

07/06/2020 13:53:52

Hi Barrie, Thanks for the help.

No CAD, if was able to find a place I was going to see if it was possible to draw the shape of the part full size.

Was surprised by the availability of carbon,in the link.

If you able to help would you rather me PM you? Or continue here?

I can check the thickness needed also, could be 1mm to 2mm until I check. Can I ask if you think ally or carbon of the same thickness will be best for a off road vehicle,needs to be strong but have some flex,prob more flex than would be better.

07/06/2020 12:42:08

Hi Barrie, To give a idea of size the bolts are m3x15,its just a idea of shape etc. I might even be able to get away without the cutouts,just have the holes.

I will need 8 of each so cutting by hand would be a long and not tidy job!ax31244.jpg

ax31245.jpg

07/06/2020 12:32:14

Hi Barrie,thanks for the info. That milling on the carbon plate is mega.

I will try to get some pics of the part I would like to get. I am going to swear now and say it for a RC "car", sorry about that.

The parts are to sandwich a plastic suspension arm.

You can buy the parts BUT as usual parts are never in stock and no expected date. It might be a case that having parts made is way more expensive but was curious to find out. Ally or carbon would both be strong enough and prob go for cheapest.

06/06/2020 13:12:22

I would like some 1.5mm/2mm ally or carbon parts cut.To intricate to do by hand.

I know both can be cnc but not sure about laser.

Can find balsa and ply etc cutters here but not for other stuff

Can anyone give a pointer to a place that can do 1 or either?

Thread: Amazon UK
05/05/2020 10:55:04

I was not really asking about "avoiding" duty, New to amazon and it sounded really good that you pay the "extra charges" up front. It shows on checkout BUT in my case this did not happen. so do I buy and get stuck with charges?

contacting amazon did not really help, they said that in this case its down to the seller to pay all costs,i said what happens if he does not and I get charged handling and duty,they said to get in touch and they will sort it out,great. Then you read a new page and it says amazon will not pay and "extra" charges,really helpful.

I will order the same part on ebay, because I know I will get hit with costs,so know the correct cost I am paying,onlything is the delivery time is triple.

04/05/2020 10:32:46

I need to buy a item for non RC. Ebay as it but its from China and will pay the duties etc.

Went on amazon uk and they have the item with free shipping,when I went to the check out the sellers are in China.

I do not mind this or the long delivery time BUT what worries me is that Amazon UK say that on checkout any tax duty etc is taken into account with some global shopping treaty (good idea).

When I went to checkout, no extra costs are listed.

went to the info page and it says not all counties are global shopping partners AND GUESS WHAT no list is present.

As anyone used this system? I found a post online and the answer was "if using amazon "market place" the system does not work" I see no mention of market place on the item description .

As usual really hard to find out

Thread: Help with servo
16/04/2020 19:50:10

Hi Barrie,Thanks for the info. I think the price is good, apx £15 quality seems good. Had good use from similar items BUT the main reason is I need them pretty quick and these are in stock and can be delivered from the UK.

16/04/2020 18:52:37

**LINK**

**LINK**

I asked about the above servo`s` yesterday BUT I might of explained unclearly.

These servos show a picture on the servo case of the uses plane/car/boat/heli/robotics. Some have 180,200,270 and 360 rotation BUT on the spec sheet it also shows 90deg and in the opposite column the high figure.

I do not know if these work travel wise like "normal" servo travel for planes/heli and cars.

If my links work can anyone have a look and tell me if these will be ok for normal use like "bog standard" servo`s

Thread: 180 deg+ servo`s
15/04/2020 21:53:11

I have just seen a range of servo`s made my SPL. The quality looks good for the price.

The thing is these servo`s have applications for ,robotics/car/plane/heli.

Some have a rotation of 360,270,180 and 90.

some that quote car/plane/heli have 180deg as well as 90deg. Do I need to stick with the 90 deg version? for plane/car OR 180 deg?

There is a particular thing I see in a product vid,when the servo is not under power the arm can be turned constantly and doe not hit a full position.every servo I have had hits a lock?????

In the servo tech sheet "lock on/off" is listed.

Does any of this make sense?

Thread: Futaba area code
18/03/2020 13:46:07

Silly question BUT if Jimmy turned up at the flying field/park/club who would know? I suppose a club might check everyones radio BUT a park etc? These new radios that you can change the firmwhere with multi protocol, whats to stop you selecting the "higher" output after the TX as passed any checks?

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
13/03/2020 13:26:40

I would be more worried dying in a car wreck on the way to a "open air" field than getting WU Flu OR starving to death because of all the morons buying stuff up.

Glad Brits were tougher in the 1930`s and 1940`s.

Edited By Gary Murphy 1 on 13/03/2020 13:27:01

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!