By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Murphy 1

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Murphy 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Junior 60 (Flair)
19/06/2019 22:42:48

PatMc, waskind enough to post pictures of the wing centre section because I was having probs with the construction. Now I am bringing the panels together I am not sure if its right? I have made a mistake with the lower spars ,i put them flush not recessed,i will relocate them.

So the centre section ribs are flat,the wings are concave, if the covering attaches to the lower spars ,hoe do you get a neat transition at the step. The covering can not touch the flat rib at meet the first bit of the wing spars.

i do not know what happens in the area/style of wing

dscn0881.jpg

Thread: Elevator joiner wire plastic tube bearing
18/06/2019 22:30:57

Sorry guys i forgot to attach 2 pictures so show what i was getting at! too late now but will post anyway.

So order of play is, glue and trap plastic tube with bent wire to tail, sand and shape tail leaving rear edge flat. slot for hinges.

bevel elevator halves,slot for hinges, then cover, Then joint to tail with hinges and the wire making sure the halves are aligned?

Sorry guys that will be the last post on this

dscn0876.jpg

dscn0875.jpg

18/06/2019 15:28:43

Sorry if I am making more of this than necessary but not had to do this before and do not want to glue stuff only to find I have made a error.

I have bent the rod with the tube,came out good. The elevators are shown with a 1mm gap at hinge (too much/little?) The plastic tube moves along the wire freely bearly touching the tail. The filler block will push up to the tail leaving no gap. Should I go and glue OR cut the plastic tube away and use the Vaseline tip?

Lastly is 1mm gaps at hinges enough to allow be fore covering,never got this far before?

Thread: DB Sport & Scale Sopwith Pup 60" ws
18/06/2019 09:38:38

Kim, you mention Dennis Bryants shop in SE London,Where was that out of interest?

Thread: Elevator joiner wire plastic tube bearing
18/06/2019 09:23:22

I see what you are saying, the hinges will hold the elevator on to the tail, so the tube is not really needed for strength. I might go with just the wire. I can see me damaging the tube anyway when I bend the wire. thanks guys

17/06/2019 21:57:12

Not a very good method is it, trying to bend the wire in the plastic tube will be fun.

17/06/2019 17:10:26

The Elevator on the kit I am building is in 2 halves.

I have to bend the wire after I insert it into aplastic tube,great ! I then have to inset this to a piece of wood matching the elevator.

Is all of the plastic tube set into this piece of wood OR do I have to inset some/half into the horizontal tail?

Going by the plan ,if the wire is inset flush to elevator front none of the tube will reach the tail, I could be wrong.

Thread: Junior 60
17/06/2019 08:48:21

D.D. Don't know about "good" work : )

16/06/2019 22:54:57

D.D. Thanks for that,i can not always take written stuff in ,pictures is great!

I can understand the wingtip front now, your tips look to be in the same plane as the spars so I will do the same.Your TE at the tip is different,my plan shows them extending over the tip. So mant variations, I do not have the knowledge to know the benefits of the variations.

16/06/2019 13:39:17

Pat, Sorry forgot to say I got the email with PDF,thank you very much. Will print it out later for better look.

16/06/2019 12:38:08

Sorry for the basic questions guys and thanks for the help. Its just that is not easy to visualise what the plans want done AND seeing a covered wing don't really help either.

Paul ,your plan shows more detail than mine and slightly different in build. Does your plan show the wing tip raised at all? my plan has a very little not to scale drawing and the wing tip looks raised, again no details how much etc.

I am getting way out of sync with the build, I have removed 1 wing from the board with no LE or top TE sheet fitted and made the second wing to the same stage while I remember what I did!

now both are done I will play about with the wing tip area.

See you soon !

15/06/2019 22:52:54

Hi Mike, I left the last rib as it came,as I did not know what I had to do shape wise, I trimmed the others down and got a good join .

I will trim down like the others, I do not get the part about scoring over the rib? the plan says to shape the wing tip parts and sandwich between the TE sheets. if I score and bend to meet the lower how will the wing tip fit?

Also, should the wing tip (3 pieces to make 1 tip) continue on the same plane ribs/te/le? There is a not to scale diagramme whih seems to show a rise,but its not clear.

15/06/2019 17:53:14

Sorry for another post regards this build.

I have not built a model with "built up" wing tips so a bit stuck on rear TE/TIP join.

I have got the TE rear join ok BUT do not know about the gap between the TE sheets just before the last rib.

After the last rib I have to sandwich the wing tip between the sheets,trying to find pictures to get a idea of the method.dscn0854.jpgdscn0855.jpgdscn0857.jpg

dscn0853.jpg

Thread: Aliphatic glues
15/06/2019 08:43:03

Following tips and builds etc, it seems Aliphatic glue is a good choice. I have seen the very thing stuff used to wick into tight joins.

My LHS had Deluxe models Aliphatic (but white?) and Super phatic. Got both.

i have found the Super phatic not good to sand, it seems very rubbery , have i used to much or not allowed enough time? i used straight from the fine nozzle like CA.

Thread: Junior 60 (Flair)
15/06/2019 00:13:47

Brokenenglish, after reading your clear explaination I now see why the lower spar OR rear spar only is inset more into the CS.

I have glued the CSrear spar in already! when I build the wings I will have to see what I will need to re do/alter.

14/06/2019 18:58:01

I am building the above ,I am no builder and easily confused! I find this plan really hard to read and the 2 page manual I am sure is for a flat bottomed wing!!!!!

Any way, thought I would start with the centre section, this has 3 6.5mm ribs,with flat bottoms,the wing ribs are concave. Ribs have 2 lower spars and a upper. I have build the centre section with the spars at the bottom of the ribs BUT having just looked at builds on here for tips on the wing build, I have seen that the lower spars are NOT flush to ribs BUT inset.

Why is that? if they are all flush is the fit at fuse not better?

need help already.

Thread: Junior 60
13/06/2019 23:13:16

Pat, in the conversion thread, you mention "ultimate hinge" on tail surface. a search came up with no results.

What is that please?

13/06/2019 15:05:37

Nightflyer, I was just going to fit batteries via wing, thinking flight times would be quite long?

would you have any tips, hatch on top aft of motor OR hatch under. Have not seen many close up pictures of electric conversions.

13/06/2019 12:23:31

David, as the model in the photo been altered?

seen J60`s from afar and the dihedral`s look much less than my plan, perhaps these have been adapted for power. I intend to electric power mine, should I use less dihedral of leave as per?

13/06/2019 11:31:59

Thanks D.D.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us