By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Ray

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Ray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UMX and AS3X Receiver Programming
12/07/2018 19:25:50

Ah, just read that this is compatible with the AS6410NBL rx so it may not work with your rx.

12/07/2018 19:22:18

You can re-program the UMX receivers, you need a USB-Interface: UM ASX3 Programmer (SPMA3060).

There is a caveat to this, it works but it isn't straightforward, there is plenty of info out there. I have done it successfully to disable the stability function.

Thread: X9d+ range problem
27/06/2018 00:12:51

Ok, now that makes sense but I am sure I have read that poor RSSI does not necessarily correlate to poor received signal strength (now that's a contradiction if ever I heard one). I hope I'm not confusing the issue.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 27/06/2018 00:26:05

26/06/2018 23:03:05

Go into the statistics screen, you will find a value for RAS and it should be in the low single numbers, any higher then it indicates a problem with the transmitted signal (at least that is my understanding) and is similar or the same as SWR. A high value possibly points to a poor aerial connection.

OpenRC is a good place to seek assistance for this sort of thing as there are some very knowledgeable and helpful folks on there, including the OpenTX developers.

Sorry but that is the limit of my knowledge on this. Interestingly I am getting RSSI warnings with my X12S but no degradation of signal (my range checks are very good). RSSI is a value received from the telemetry signal and not the transmitted signal. Good luck.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 26/06/2018 23:05:02

Thread: Overlander motor/esc set up problems
14/05/2018 08:00:04
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/05/2018 07:45:34:
Pat did effectively touch on that with the 0.8 "fudge factor" in the rule of thumb equation he gives above.
BEB

Awful lot more in my post than just that BEB.......such as the relationship to back EMF.......

14/05/2018 07:13:09

What no one has said is that Kv is a figure that in all probability the motor will not achieve due to losses and more importantly it relates to the back EMF. As far as we modellers understand the use of the term it relates to the unloaded rpm. By checking the rpm with a prop on will not give you the answer.

To find the actual Kv you need to use the motor as a generator, spin it at a known rpm and measure the voltage output, but I have no idea how to achieve that with a brushless motor.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 14/05/2018 07:38:08

Thread: How many plan-built models have you made or started in the last year?
01/08/2017 16:23:51

I think I have started 2 models from plans this year, a St. Leonard's Models 124" Super Nova thermal soarer, originally a kit from the late 70s but I am building this from a plan. And a Tiger Tail aerobatic model from the early 70s. I am also working on my 1/4 scale ASK18 that was started a few years ago and before the end of the year I will have started another 1/4 scale glider. Plenty of plans to build from plans in the future. As far as the poll goes that's 2 for me.

Thread: Fitting a Laser 120 in a Seagull Yak 54
31/07/2017 09:16:35

Rob, no, mine doesn't have the mount for a nose wheel. Cutting the box is easy enough, just mark accurately and take your time.

You would be surprised at how repairable these things are.

30/07/2017 20:58:13

Hi Rob, I'm of the opinion that the easiest solution is to shorten the firewall, on many ARTF models I find it is necessary to shorten the mounting box to fit a Laser. Just mark it up, cut accurately and as Gordon says birch ply and triangular stock, I very often end up lining the sides of the remaining box with 1/16 ply, probably not necessary though.

You may find you need a longer engine mount than that supplied for the Laser, Great Planes and Logic (same as Great Planes) do a 1.20-1.80 adjustable one the length of which is 125mm, just about 5 inches. Here one is with my Laser 1.20.

img_5003.jpg

Thread: Plans service & Shop
30/07/2017 10:49:34

There must be a wealth of these currently unobtainable plans in the possession of forumites. With current technology it is easy enough to get a plan copied and downloaded for electronic transmission.

How about a plans wanted topic? If a design is wanted and someone is prepared to copy it would it be feasible to connect the two parties? Or is copyright going to be an issue?

Thread: Puffin Models is Up and Running!
29/07/2017 13:05:30

An update on my spinner order, it was posted the same day, I was informed it had been sent and I received a recorded delivery number, it took two days to arrive as it was sent second class. I even had a phone call from Steve querying a minor detail on the order. Knowing what the post office charge I cannot grumble at the postal charges as they are reasonable.

So that's a yes from me.

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
29/07/2017 12:55:47
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/07/2017 00:51:34:

Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon job, Andrew! wink

I know, terrible I have had to put up with it for so longlaugh

I remember initially Lasers were aimed at the scale flyer and were the engine of choice but I have never seen them as only good for scale, probably because I saw Chris Foss do his thing with his new Acro Wot and the new Laser 75 back in the mid 80s.

28/07/2017 22:40:02

Jon, only thought I have about this is that if I want an engine from you I would like to know that I am in the queue for one rather than settle for pot luck. We don't buy engines everyday and for me there isn't a second choice. For example, my 30 year old Laser .75 suffered it's second dead stick a couple of weeks ago when I deliberately ran it out of fuel, the first was when the grub screws holding the carb in place came out, not a bad record at all and it never needs adjusting.

Thread: gagged
28/07/2017 08:41:29

3 posts being locked in quick succession is censorship and is very wrong.

Thread: Traplet informed facts
27/07/2017 21:40:02

Thanks for the update Doug, a very sad state of affairs indeed.

27/07/2017 17:01:44

Martin, might be a bit late to do that now. Fly boy, I can now get on, it seems to be a temporary problem to do with a "backend fetch", whatever that might be.

Thread: Suggestions please
27/07/2017 08:07:29
Posted by Stumps on 27/07/2017 06:45:19:

I once had the Saito 45 in a DB sports and Scale 58in Tiger Moth. A love combination for that type of aircraft.

Something like that sounds perfect or a vintage model. A lovely old Saito 45 is suggesting something more akin to a Piper Cub than a Pitts. I have an old OS 40FS and a 1/6 scale Sig Piper Cub kit to build, that to me is an ideal combination.

Thread: How much do you shop around ??
27/07/2017 07:57:50

I always do an internet search for most things primarily to establish the best price, I have ordered a few times from Tower Hobbies to get exactly what I want but usually low value small items to come under the customs charge threshold, I have started using HobbyKing more and frequently order from their global warehouse. It is partly to do with getting the right item for my model but also where I can get the best deal. Recently I wanted to try a dipole rx antenna, Aloft Hobbies do them, 25cm long for $2 but postage was $14.95, ideal length but the high postage put me off, postage from Tower is only a few dollars postage for similar value/weight items.

Out of preference I would rather use my LMS but he cannot hope to stock the variety of items I choose to buy and I am not going to pay a large premium for kits just to keep him in business, he also rarely carries the sort of kits I like to buy and is unable to obtain them, his balsa selection is small and he doesn't stock the radio I use.

I use T9 for my FrSky radio gear, his prices cannot be bettered, next day delivery, he always replies to emails and rings back for missed calls. I always use SLEC for wood and order sufficient to benefit from their free post offer.

Think I'm starting to ramble as the reasons I shop far and wide are many and not just to get exactly the right bit.

So in answer to cymaz's question, I shop around most of the time.

27/07/2017 07:20:29

I don't think it would be easy to take over a business and would expect a settling in period, must say I haven't used Puffin until recently which was just prior to the sale. They seem to be the only stockists of the superb HM spinners and so I have placed my second order with Puffin for a spinner this morning, when I clicked "Confirm Order" I had an error 503 message and now cannot connect to the server, I am using Safari and paid with PayPay quick pay. I had a similar problem last night but whereas last night the order didn't process this morning it did and I have received email confirmation.

I am unable to access the Puffin website now with any Apple device (cannot speak for other OS) and just wondering if this is a similar problem to the one Martin reported earlier in this thread.

I do hope at £4.95 for postage the spinner arrives tomorrow.

Thread: 'Like' button
24/07/2017 08:32:31
Posted by Stevo on 24/07/2017 08:22:11:

Perhaps put a vote up asking for contributions to enhance the site? Crowdfunding? I'll contribute. I've spent some years on here asking for advice.

Me too yes

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues