By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Ray

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Ray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Grass Cutting
03/04/2020 22:10:11

Jason, this thread is not about grass, it's about not being able to mow the grass under the current situation where folks are putting their lives on the line for us, so don't twist it to suit your ends. I am sure those in the NHS would not appreciate your comments. A bit of respect for the law and those around us would not go amiss.

03/04/2020 21:31:06

Oh, and that's without all the other folks putting their lives on the line to help US, that's you and me...

03/04/2020 21:29:36

It's GRASS!

My dad is 90...I can't see him!

My cousin is a doctor, his mum has cancer, he can't see her. Her partner is French, in France, they can't see each other because she needs treatment on the NHS.

And you lot are discussing GRASS.

I'll have a coffee please...

Thread: Free plans for model building in Corona times
30/03/2020 12:32:23

Hi Timo, thank you, I have downloaded the Tempest. The Typhoon in the photos looks good and makes a bit of a change from the usual. I would like to think I would be able to build it but I have promised myself I will finish some projects before I start another...

All the best,

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Ray on 30/03/2020 12:35:27

Thread: Can I or can I not fly?
24/03/2020 13:39:48

...and Michael Gove has clarified that it is okay to go for a drive...

24/03/2020 10:41:16
Posted by Brian Cooper on 24/03/2020 10:36:04:

The rules are very clear. We are all supposed to stay indoors.

I would have no problem flying with the confines of the garden, I am going to be in the garden, mowing the lawn, enjoying the weather etc. I just cannot stay inside it would drive me mad. Mental health issues and the risk of cabin fever is a reality and needs a balanced outlook.

24/03/2020 10:28:05

I think we all know what we can and cannot do (well I would hope most of us would) and part of this discussion is some form of acceptance. I am lucky in a sense, out in the sticks and fields all around, will I fly? No, I don't think I will. Wether we see sense in the rules they are there to be followed and respected.

Not like the guy on the BMFA classifieds placing a wanted ad this morning for a warbird and is prepared to collect!!! Beggars belief.

Thread: Covid 19
22/03/2020 12:04:41

60 on Friday, birthday plans cancelled and now Sue and I are having to self isolate. Sue is a headteacher and was due to go in to school on Monday to cater for the kids of essential services personnel, found out this morning that one of her teaching assistants has had contact with an elderly person who died last week, coronavirus has been confirmed. The school is now closed.

Strange times we live in. Thoughts go out to all those in the NHS, supermarkets and so on who will struggle to maintain the required social distancing.

Stay safe.

Thread: great service
19/03/2020 18:39:35

T9 Hobbysport, Rich always phones back, problems dealt with quickly. Without question the best business for consistently excellent customer service I have ever dealt with

Thread: 35 MHz crystals
19/03/2020 14:31:28
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 19/03/2020 10:07:15:

I believe the reference was to single and double conversion which is a dependent on the filter design in the receiver. As I remember it the tx crystal was the same regardless of whether you used single or double conversion receivers.

Thanks Bob.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
19/03/2020 05:30:42
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 18/03/2020 23:37:01:

The current Government advice is to avoid any non-essential travel and non-essential meetings with friends and family. This seems to indicate that model flying, which probably comes into the non-essential category, should not proceed unless you fly on your own.

How do others read this "guidance" which I note the Government may choose at any point to make a directive depending on how badly the Covid 19 virus impacts us?

I take it that within the confines of our hobby that social distancing is something we can easily achieve, don't congregate in the clubhouse and maintain separation. On the flight line it may limit how many can fly at one time. I think under the present circumstances those of us fortunate enough to be able to pursue an outdoor activity and maintain interaction with like minded folks is essential for our mental well being. Sadly too many will be isolated, particularly those in the high risk groups.

Thread: 35 MHz crystals
19/03/2020 04:34:20
Posted by PatMc on 18/03/2020 21:30:52:
Posted by Paul Ellis 4 on 18/03/2020 19:14:45:

I didn't realise that Transmitters had that option.

They haven't.

Have I missed something? I still have two 35mHz transmitters that use crystals and every 35mHz transmitter I have ever had used them.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 19/03/2020 04:35:02

Thread: Vac Forming
16/03/2020 10:48:08

Have you tried Sarik? I believe the guys on SSUK (Scale Soaring UK forum) have had one off canopies produced from their own plug.

Thread: English language ?
13/03/2020 09:59:52
Posted by john stones 1 on 12/03/2020 21:48:51:

Not read Chaucer, nor Shakespeare, read Izaac Waltons The Compleat Angler, tough going.

So what you read ?

Stephen Ericksons my favourite just now. **LINK**

Have You Eaten Grandma? by Giles Brandreth.

Literally when actually you mean actually.

Misuse of their, there and they're

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
12/03/2020 18:39:49

Must admit, I agree with Gary. Closing until Easter won't change anything as the forecast is that the number of cases will not peak for a few months yet. The reason for closing events etc. is to delay the peak. Dai, your club may as well remain closed throughout the year. Probably better to leave that judgement to the individual member.

Thread: Probable scam?
02/03/2020 14:13:21
Posted by Gary Manuel on 02/03/2020 09:51:52:

THIS might be of interest.

Panarama are showing a programme tonight exposing scammers in Delhi by showing hacked CCTV footage of them in action.

Definitely worth a watch. I haven't been caught...yet! I nearly was but realised in time. Some scams can be so plausible and when your mind is dealing with other problems it is difficult to think straight.

Thread: BMFA Membership Card
19/02/2020 19:02:58

Just bought a Rab down Alpine jacket cheaper than Go Outdoors, even with the discounts, my boots are from a British manufacturer and fit me better than anything Go Outdoors sell and, Oh, by the way, my BMFA card hasn't arrived either but heck, it's not worth stressing about.

Thread: Seagull Hurricane Laser
12/02/2020 10:36:37

Nigel, unlikely that turbulent air will blanket the tailplane as the dirty air off the wing diverges away from the tail. Try boxing the wake in a glider on aero tow, it is surprising how low one has to go to get into the turbulence.

Does the full-size demonstrates similar traits?

11/02/2020 23:10:49

Chris, it isn’t Seagull, both my YT and E-flite Hurricanes did the same with full flap. It has something to to with the shift in the centre of pressure as flaps are deployed (amongst other things) reducing longitudinal stability. Land flapless and I think you’ll find it is fine but you might need a longer landing run.

Thread: Horizon Hobby not Responding
07/02/2020 15:43:42

Actually Mike, your assumptions are not correct.

They did respond initially. I have no idea why the lines of communication failed after that, I am told that they have no record of my subsequent emails and not being too cynical I am prepared to take that as the truth.

So far as forum etiquette goes, I sent emails over a few weeks, ample time to elicit a response and I’m not quite sure what your point is...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us