By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Ray

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Ray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free seaplane plan from the 80s
13/04/2019 10:15:35

I looked on Outerzone first but couldn’t find it.

Piers, I don’t know as the plan is down at my workshop a few miles away. I will find out when I get a chance to go down there. I don’t have the magazine, it’s just the plan but it should have those details on it.

13/04/2019 09:33:52

The funny thing is I was sorting my old plans and came across the Supermarine 10 plan only a couple of days ago. Interesting looking model and on my to build list.

I have an A3 scanner and may well be able to scan the plan for you.

Thread: Lost radio contact
10/04/2019 08:13:42

Graham, yes 700mAh should be fine just as long as you don't want to fly all day. Transmitters used to be supplied with 600mAh nicads and they were more than good enough for a normal days flying, although they weren't 2.4, my early Taranis came with a 800mAh battery and that was plenty for me.

Have to say I agree with Denis, a reputable manufacturer wouldn't recommend dry cells if they or the radio were not fit for purpose.

Thread: Servo size
05/04/2019 08:28:11

Before computer radios we were flying large 4m sailplanes like the early Alpina with a single standard servo such as the Futaba 148 controlling both ailerons. Similar sized models such as the Ridge Rover, Phase Lift and Countryman with flapperons would have two servos connected to a mechanical mixer, one would operate the ailerons and one the flaps. We didn't worry too much about the torque as the standard servos of the day were more than up to the job.

I agree with Nigel R, we do over spec servos today.

Thread: Paypal Charges - how are they calculated?
31/03/2019 16:58:08

Hi Gordon, this is the PayPal calculator I use. If you send money to a friend then there are no fees and there is no protection, you can always call anyone your friend for the purposes of selling but at your risk. If you are selling to someone you don't know and want the seller protection then you pay the fees.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Ray on 31/03/2019 16:58:47

Thread: How to use IRX4+ multi-protocol module with Taranis?
26/03/2019 22:35:17

Have you checked (ticked) the multimodule box in the radio profile settings? If not you will need to do that and reflash OpenTX to the radio. That will then give you the option to select MULTI on the model setup page under External RF and then you can select the protocol.

Edit. I'm thinking of the IRX4, I have the IRX4+ but I use it with my JR radio.

It may well be that your protocol is not supported.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 26/03/2019 22:43:46

Thread: South Herts Glow Switch
25/03/2019 16:15:39

Received, thanks Martin.

25/03/2019 15:53:58

Thanks Martin, PM sent.

25/03/2019 15:49:53

I have two, my original one is 4 cell and has a lead with an adjustment pot fitted. Last year I bought a model that has a glow switch fitted, it is a twin, the glow switch looks similar but the pots are fitted to the main board. I wasn't aware of the two types.

25/03/2019 13:49:05

I have one of these glow switches and have lost the instructions. Unfortunately it appears that South Herts Models are no longer around and a Google search for a manual or instructions draws a blank.

Does anyone have the instructions they can scan for me please?

Edited By Andrew Ray on 25/03/2019 13:49:33

Thread: Touche
22/03/2019 12:25:18

Hi Martyn, I didn't realise you hadn't been well, pleased to hear you're on the mend though, hopefully the workshop time is helping your recovery.

Oo, what a lovely model. I like the colour scheme too. Must say I have all but given up with pneumatic retracts and gone electric except that I have just one set, a set of Unitracts for a future scale project.

Thread: What's your rate limiting step?
22/03/2019 12:13:16

Painting. I enjoy covering with either tissue (on sheeted surfaces), nylon or glass cloth and some models just cry out for a painted finish, I just don't like painting. It is well worth the effort when done and I am usually happy with the finish.

I love making wing ribs, particularly with a big tapered glider wing, sandwich the blanks together, carve and sand away and hey, a lovely set of tapered ribs. Therapeutic too.

Thread: Flair Tiger Moth, help needed.
16/03/2019 19:48:33

Did you find a plan? If not try Flair Tiger Moth Plan.

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
16/03/2019 09:49:12

I don't agree PatMc, the spars are actually 1/16" x 1/2", doubled up to 1/16" x 1" at the root with the webbing fitting between the spars. It is a lightweight soarer as were many of the designs of the day perfectly adequate for the designed use. It was supplied with tissue for covering and is what it was. I saw a few models of the day folding wings due to over exuberant use, they were perfectly fine otherwise. Do you remember the Wildflekken? Put the nose down in a dive and the model would tuck under as the washout twisted the wing and not a cheap model in the day.

15/03/2019 20:32:52
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/03/2019 10:58:32:

Anyone remember the big St Leonards Models kits? There was a 120" thermal soarer, fibreglass fus and built up wing, was it the SuperNova? My first taste of what a good soarer was like.

Jim Baguely of free flight fame. I don't remember the fibreglass fuselage but I am building a 124" one with the wooden fuselage and changing the wing joiner to a flat steel strip, I thought the design was quite clever, very light with the 1/16" x 1/2" spruce spars at the surface butted up to the D box sheeting The free flight heritage very much evident in the design.

So, how about Soaron Sailplanes, Sunshine, Shillouette, Pik 20 and a few others I can't remember, designed buy Roy Garner.

Thread: Boeing 737 Max 8
12/03/2019 15:09:49

yes easy to get the wrong end of the stick!

12/03/2019 14:11:40
Posted by J D 8 on 12/03/2019 11:20:43:

Automatic trim change when flaps are deployed must be one of the most common.

That isn't the issue. This system operates with the flaps up and addresses some unusual flight characteristics on this particular model. If you read Frank's link 7 posts from the top it explains what and why. Makes for interesting reading.

Thread: If you only had one engine to use, which one would it be.
10/03/2019 15:41:21

Like Don, my old Laser 75 has given years of service, easy to start, economical, reliable and just keeps going on and on. Although today if I was limited to one engine it would have to be one of my Laser 80s, same size as the 75 but more power.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 10/03/2019 15:42:17

Thread: hobbyking prices
08/03/2019 07:09:04
Posted by Robert Putley 1 on 08/03/2019 05:06:07:

Dollar Sterling rate is not 1.45, and has not been at that level since the announcement of the Brexit poll. Current level is 1.31.

It’s a 3 year old thread, the rates Gonzo was talking about were in January 2016.

Thread: Gliders with no D box leading edge?
08/03/2019 07:04:39

Good choice. I have the Orion 2.5 EV (Electric, V-tail). Looks the same but with a V-tail. I enjoyed the build, wasn’t sure about just using lacquer on the wings without covering the veneer first but 5 years on an it still looks good. Must admit I used a Deluxe Materials water based product for ease of use and availability.

I fitted a small Hacker with 4.4:1 ratio gearbox driving a 16” prop on a 2200 3s (it is a bit of a tight squeeze to get it all in). Goes up vertically on that set up. It’s one of my favourites.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us