By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Ray

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Ray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: air travel with lipos and transmitter
08/07/2017 09:18:19

There are limits for carry on as a passenger, look at the IATA Passenger Dangerous Goods Corner. Also be mindful that some airlines may have more stringent rules so rather than turning up and not being able to carry on (and they certainly won't be allowed in the hold unless in equipment) you do need to check with your airline.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 08/07/2017 09:19:19

Thread: Spektrum RX aerials
07/07/2017 10:32:34

I see nothing wrong replacing an aerial and using the receiver as intended with the caveat that the repair has been completed to the required standard.

If you haven't soldered before this is not the place to start.

As for binning the receiver, that could make fore a very expensive hobby indeed.

Thread: Advice Please
06/07/2017 19:59:59

I fly mine with 3000mAh batteries well forward and I still have a bit of lead under the motor. I'm getting 8 to 10 minutes of very enthusiastic flying with the Hacker on an APC 12 x 6E pulling just over 400w, it will go up vertically with ease on this set up. Might be worth thinking about a bigger capacity battery rather than adding lead.

Thread: Change of discipline
06/07/2017 14:11:24

Lovely job.

Now, as that is a self sustainer engine (as opposed to self launch) it's a good job you have the Super Cub as a tug for launching wink 2

06/07/2017 13:58:54
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 06/07/2017 13:04:00:

The information I supplied comes with a 'health warning' as my source was RC Groups, I don't have any personal experience with this model but it looks like a good-un. Have fun.

I do, (see my post above re CofG), if you balance the model on the spar it will fly well (mine does) and that equates to about 90mm.

The elevator is sensitive, I have 35% expo on low rates with 20mm travel each way and 65% on high rates with 35mm travel each way. It would probably benefit with a little more expo on low rate for landing.

Thread: glo to gas
04/07/2017 18:35:21

I'm afraid I didn't see Jon's comment as an attack on someone, should have had a wink after it. Much ado about nothing methinks.

I had considered converting a glow to petrol (both 2 and 4 stroke) on more than one occasion but I didn't think the sums added up. On top of that I came to the conclusion that the chance of having an engine that would run as well as a proprietary engine had less than a 50% chance of success and that any cost saving would soon disappear in lost time trying to get the engine to run to my satisfaction.

Much simpler to sell the glow motor and buy a proper petrol engine, unless of course you like to fiddle with these things. It all depends what your goal is.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 04/07/2017 18:35:50

Thread: Confirmed IC'ers look away
02/07/2017 23:23:55

Thread: Sacriledge
02/07/2017 10:44:34

Cor, RCM&E for half a crown smiley

01/07/2017 22:01:18

No idea what radios or engines, but the models were built to 1/8th scale and apparently flew without silencers to maintain the scale profile. The team of Mick Charles, Jack Morton, Chris Olsen and Dave Platt were contracted to put together the 'model air force'.

The Stuka was modelled on the RAF Museum's late war Ju 87D as it was thought that it was going to be restored to flying condition and used in some of the sequences.

Info courtesy of 'Battle of Britain The Movie' by Robert J Rudhall.

I was also 8 at the time, never saw the film at the cinema, dad wouldn't take me but he did take me to see Where Eagles Dare so I let him offwink

01/07/2017 21:38:03

Ah, the models burned (in Malta) at the end of filming the Battle of Britain.

I agree.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 01/07/2017 21:39:16

01/07/2017 21:03:31

Here's mine. The film has faded as it is now 10 years old, flies with a Hacker A30-12L.

img_4933.jpg

Once the down thrust and CofG are sorted it is a lovely model, easy to fly, it will fly nice and slow and yet will cope with blustery winds. Apply lots elevator quickly it can stall at high speed (high speed stall or 'g' stall) but recovers very quickly with very little loss of height.

01/07/2017 20:52:54

Which Hyperion CAP 232 is it?

The early CAP 25e, which is the purple one, had the CofG too far aft, mine balances nose down on the spar. The thrust line is also wrong as Martin has alluded to, take the down thrust out. Do this and the model will go where it is pointing.

Couple of other things, the magnets will not hold the canopy on, it needs a catch and the u/c mounting needs strengthening.

If it is the later red one there is no down thrust, the canopy has a catch fitted and the u/c has been strengthened and I think the balance point has been corrected.

I have a purple one that is now rather battered and earlier this year I purchased another 2, they go in the car in one piece, fly for 10 minutes on 3s 3000mAh and are great fun.

Good luck with yours.

Thread: Change of discipline
28/06/2017 10:05:28

Nice, you could do an aero tow diorama with those two.

Here's my 1/32 Pacific Coast Models Spitfire Mk.IX, not up to Devcon1's standard (I marvel at the skill and dedication to achieve that level).

img_0441.jpg

Thread: battery pack failures
28/06/2017 09:53:26

Makes sense to me Martin wink

Thread: Cheap servos worth the risk?
28/06/2017 09:49:45
Posted by Braddock, VC on 28/06/2017 09:37:13:

PS use thread lock on the servo arm retention screws.

But never on plastic/nylon or carbonate gears.

Bear in mind that there are servos that are relatively low cost and really good value for money and then there are cheap servos in every sense of the word and the art is differentiating between them.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 28/06/2017 09:50:58

Thread: battery pack failures
27/06/2017 16:44:06

Oo heck, I've been using a SM Services multicharger for 10 years or more to charge my NiMh batteries at 1/10C and yet I have some Ripmax (Sanyo Eneloop I think) packs dated Jan 2010 that still hold up well under a 300mAh and 600mAh discharge. Occasionally I will top up the batteries but I regularly run a discharge cycle followed by a 14 hour charge cycle. My older packs are reserved for bench work.

I never fast charge these batteries and I have a mix of 800AAA Eneloop, 2000AA Eneloop and 2500AA Instants. I never leave them in a cold damp garage during the winter, my batteries are always in the house during the winter months.

I was reading the instructions to my Alpina 4001 Elektro a few days ago, it is kitted out for 8 servos and expressly advises against using a 5 cell pack, recommending a 1500mAh minimum 4 cell pack which I find most intriguing and probably contrary to popular wisdom.

Thread: ASP91 2 Stroke ABC or Ring
26/06/2017 09:52:48

I now use a 12v J'EN geared starter (you will have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page), it is a compact size, really good value for money and will start most club level engines, largest I have used mine on is a 35cc petrol and the smallest, an ASP 52FS. From Just Engines of course, so there is a potential postage saving if you order the starter and engine from JE.

25/06/2017 21:25:30

Seems like you get a JE Super Quiet Silencer with your JE purchase too. I was looking at this engine and hadn't realised that there was a difference between the JE and HK supplied engines. I ended up relieving a friend of his un-run OS 91FX, ringed of course, and while I was pondering what to do I was watching eBay and saw one or two respectable un-run 90/91 2 strokes go for reasonable money.

Anyway in answer to your question I personally would go for a ringed engine, not sure you'd really notice any performance difference.

Thread: Wanted: OS Graupner Engine
25/06/2017 21:12:17

They all seem to go for £300 plus, I think you'll be lucky to get a complete one for £100 but you never know, patience has it's rewards.

Thread: AAIB Operation Of Drones
23/06/2017 09:21:29

I'm not sure what the point is, the AAIB are responsible for air accident investigation and are not using drones for commercial gain and therefore do not need a commercial operators certificate and thus are operating totally within the law.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us