By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil May

Here is a list of all the postings Phil May has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Something small
27/05/2009 20:01:15
I fly a Big Stick 60 at the moment , but I  also want  a smaller  electric model I can chuck  about  in  a small field that I have permission to use that  is near to home. It must be cheap and chearfull, nothing fancy, just something I can use when  i'm unable to get to the flying field. Any ideas.
  Thanks in advance.
Thread: SC 61 problem
10/05/2009 18:01:57
I have an issue with my S/C 61, it starts great,idles smooth and picks up ok. The problem is by the time i walk to the strip  and open her up it dies. If i open the throttle a bit as i  carry it to the strip i have no problems. One of the boffins down the field say's this is common with these motors and they don't like a long idle due to possible flooding. Both the top and bittom end settings apear to be ok, but i think somthing is a miss. Any ideas?
Thread: Bit windy this week!
10/05/2009 17:52:55
Beautifull day in South Wales. I had my first flight a 10am and came home at 3pm, cracking 3-6mph straight down strip. 
Thread: Flying hours
04/05/2009 19:16:54
Just worked out how many hours actual flying time i've had with my trainer- 8! It seems that i've spent a long time down the field for 8 hours stick time(well acording to my misses) but then again thats a lot of 10 min flights, and a lot of important chats with the lads putting the world to right. I've just moved onto my 2nd plane-Big Stick 60 on Sat and already clocked up 1 hour. I love it.
Thread: Bank holiday weekend
03/05/2009 14:55:31
I had a great one yesterday(Sat) Took my Big Stick 60  out for it's maiden flight, I got my old instructor to perform the first flight to trim. This is my 2nd plane so i had a couple of flights with my trainer to get rid of first flight dumb- thumbs'
Oh my got i loved it-compaired to my trainer it felt like learing to ride a 50cc moped then jumping onto 250! Spent all day at no more than 1/2 throttle, one problem- it's got a bigger appitite for glow fuel. Never mind its worth it.
Thread: Problems securing a prop
30/04/2009 12:31:40
I have a problem with my s/c 61. There is not enough room for a lock nut on the crank after i have put on the spinner back plate,  prop and 1st nut. I only have enough thread expossed to fit the lock nut half a turn, any ideas.
 Thanks in advance. Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 30/04/2009 12:31:58

Thread: Prop choice
27/04/2009 11:45:32
I'm trying to find out best prop size for a second hand S/C 61 i've bought. I know there is a back issue with a referance chart, but can't find the issue in my old copies. Also is there a web site i can download the maufactuer's manual for same engine?  Thanks.
Thread: How to clean my Big Stick?
25/04/2009 15:55:16
Thanks for that Gemma, i'll give the meths a go .
25/04/2009 09:34:43
While i've been putting together my Great Planes Big Stick, i've found that my hand marks are a pig to clean off. With my old trainer(Arrising Star) any finger prints would wipe off easily with a slightly damp cloth and then buff up with a soft cloth. Not so with the stick! Also while glueing the hinges on(as per instructions) I have noticed a white shaddow has appeared around the covering next to the hinges. No glue has come into direct contact with the covering so i don't understsnd why this has happened. Any ideas on these issues? It may be that  i'm over fussy  but i want to keep the model as clean as poss'. By the way the glue is cyano thin. Thanks
Thread: Big Stick 60
15/04/2009 16:42:03
Just started the build( well assembly) of my Great Planes Big Stick 60 ARTF and was suprised with the material supplied for the hinges, a bit like a piece of fibre glass mat. This has to be cut to size, inserted and glued, as an extra piece of security i've  glued pins through, both, the wing and aileron. Is this a secure enough method of fixing this type of hinge.
Any other advice on the assembly and maint' etc of this model will be greatly accepted. thanks
Thread: Big Stick 60
06/04/2009 21:10:36
Hi Les, 
  I did consider a larger motor but i thought that from a trainer with a 46 to a stick with a 60 was a big change for me  to get used in one go, then at a later date i could up the engine size to get full potential out of the stik. Sounds like its going to be a lot of fun, can't wait for it to arrive!                                             
          Cheers buddy.
                  Phil.
05/04/2009 15:41:08
I've just ordered a Great Planes Big Stik 60 and S/C 61 after taking advice from fellow (more experienced) club members.This will be my follow on plane after my Arrising Star trainer. Whats the general opinion of this plane.
What a cracking weekend in S.Wales - should be down the club but got stuck with painting the kitchen, never mind, off work this week so fingers crossed for more good weather.
Thread: Listen to your instructor!
04/03/2009 08:46:17
Although  i'm solo and i feel that i'm progressing well with my trainer, i still get a lot of attention off my instructor. One of his issues with my flying is the use of to much up elavator on take off. Well the other day i found out why, did you know an Arrising Star can prop -hang!!
Do i need to say any more, to much up, stiff breeze and hey-presto i have my first prop- hang. It suprised me how fast my new KITE blew down wind. Luck was on my side and with shouted comands from fellow fliers as they ran to my  help , down elavator and a lot of luck changed my kite back to a plane.
Moral of the story-PAY ATTENTION TO YOU INSTRUCTOR!
Thread: 3-D names
02/03/2009 12:28:16
Is there a list of names and discriptions of 3-D flying manouvers. I get totaly lost when fellow club members use terms like 'Bunts,Harriers etc'
Me being a numpty, don't have a clue what they are on about.

Thread: Anyone been out this weekend.
01/03/2009 17:16:12
Had a cracking day at Gaerpark  MFC,Gwent yesterday. 3-6mph wind - about 10 flying, both heli and fixed wing.Had a go of our chairmans BIG low -wing petrol.(well big for me)Made an interesting change from my trainer. FUN,FUN,FUN
Thread: Is 15% nitro ok?
27/02/2009 16:52:12
Is it ok to run my O.S 46 LA in my trainer on 15%  At present i use Duraglo 10% and it runs superb. The reason i am thinking of changing is simply because my 11 year old runs his nitro car on 15% and it will save me buying two different fuels. If its ok will my O.S need any adjustment(richer or leaner)
 cheers- Phil
Thread: Wattsdog plans
23/02/2009 12:18:21
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE PLANS FOR WATTSDOG 3 CHANNEL  ELECTRIC TRAINER, AS FOUND IN RCME A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, ARE STILL AVAILIBLE AND IF SO WHERE CAN I FIND THEM.                      
                            CHEERS.
Thread: Is a bipe a posible follow on
16/02/2009 21:05:45
I've been promised a freebie of an Annerversery Panic bibe off my instructor, he recons this can be set up as a follow on model after i have progreesed from my trainer, using his words " put your 46 up front and it'll plod about like my trainer" Is this a realistic opinion or am i loking a model or two ahead of myself. Anyone got any comments on this one?
Thread: Rx instalation problems.
10/02/2009 12:42:36
I,m having a problem with the instalation of a Futaba 617 2.4ghz rx in my Arrising Star trainer. i know that the recomended 90* is only a guide line but to keep the antennas well apart they are right next  to both throttle and nose wheel push rods. Both pushrods are in the plastic sheath near where the antennas cross. Is this a cause for concern'
 Any advice will be greatly accepted.
  Thanks. Big phil
Thread: Big Phil tries again
04/02/2009 12:56:45
HI. AFTER AN ENJOYABLE TIME BUILDING WATTSDOG TRAINER, I DECIDED THAT I COULD TEACH MYSELF TO FLY. BIG MISTAKE!
I'NOW A MEMBER OF GAER PARK MFC, NEWPORT, GWENT. I FLY AN ARRISING STAR TRAINER AND WITH MANY THANKS TO MY INSTRUCTER KEV GRAY I WENT SOLO OCT 08. IT WAS NOT WITHOUT A FEW HEAVY LANDINGS BUT THE 'STAR' IS A TOUGH OLD GIRL AND EASILY REPAIRED.
HOPEING FOR BETTER WEATHER THIS SPRING , MY GOAL IS MY 'A' BY EASTER. 
                           THANKS FOR READING.
                                          Phil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us