By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Craig Carr

Here is a list of all the postings Craig Carr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Snakes - how to un-bend?
04/07/2016 07:42:26
Posted by PatMc on 03/07/2016 23:05:24:
Posted by Shaunie on 03/07/2016 22:39:14:

I also agree that the outer should be fully supported or it will "belly out" under compression.

Shaunie.

Edited By Shaunie on 03/07/2016 22:40:49

How can it ?

If the outer is secured at both ends that's all that matters.

They cant. thumbs up like pat says only each end needs securing (ie the snake outer can't physically grow) I must admit though I do still pass them through holes drilled in formers but in reality this is nothing more than cosmetic

Thread: The Reassembler
04/04/2016 21:54:20

Thoroughly enjoyed that

Proper blokes stuff yes

Thread: Using a desktop PSU?
16/03/2016 19:28:09
Posted by IanN on 16/03/2016 18:50:23:
Posted by Craig Carr on 16/03/2016 18:36:40:

Got my server psu from eBay.

Ditto. Mine arrived earlier in the week

Does anyone know what - if any - connectors are commercially available to plug onto those "blade" connectors? If so what are they called and where can you get them from: I've done a general search with no luck

Could obviously solder to the blades or use croc clips, but wondered if there was a more elegant solution?

Hi Ian,

Was just wondering that myself. Theres a really good electronics shop around the corner from where I live. I'll pop round with the unit over the next day or so and ask him. I'll let you know

16/03/2016 18:36:40

Got my server psu from eBay. Arrived today.

Converted psu

5 minutes with the soldering iron to jump the 3 pins and it's working like a good un thumbs up

Jumped pins

Thread: Aileron control rod attachment
12/03/2016 17:43:27

If you do need to open the hole use an off cut off the pushrod in your drill to open it up to the exact size yes

Thread: Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan
07/02/2016 10:21:11

Hello Neil,

Lovely work. I too have remade the ducts to go all the way back to the bulkhead, I think it's for the best rather than as shown on plan.

Unfortunately my fan units are 3s 10 blade as originally specified although I see Tony has now updated his website to say 4s like yours dont know never mind, just started covering mine.

Craig

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thread: Drones /drones /drones??
10/01/2016 23:21:11

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/01/2016 21:

Sadly it looks very much to me like many of the comments about what is "wrong" with MRs come from people with very little, or even no, experience of them beyond maybe flying a glorified toy! Its a bit like generalisiing and holding forth on model helicopters on the strength of a couple of flights on a co-axial toy.

BEB

With respect Dave I think that statement is without any fact or evidence.

The key thing is that all some folks have done is simply state why RCME has lost its way a little for some of us because quads/multi rotors are not their bag. I don't think it's fair to disrespect people's views regardless of what experience they may or may not have with "MRs"

09/01/2016 13:57:21

I think BEB has missed the point as well Daisad

I don't envy the team trying to find something new. However, other than buying this months to read the new futaba tx review I stopped buying the mag nearly a year ago as it had become too samey with yet more articles on Quads and foamies.

Edited By Craig Carr on 09/01/2016 14:00:42

Thread: Build of a Nigel Hawes Fizza
09/01/2016 09:49:06

Hello Baz,

Are you going to add some contrasting cover? Being so dark it might be a nightmare/recipe for disorientation surprise

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 09/01/2016 09:49:53

Thread: Why you DONT thin epoxy with solvents, denatured alcohol or acetone
27/12/2015 22:25:18

Hello Ben,

I have always used epoxy skinning resin mixed straight from the bottles for fuel proofing. no need to heat them up or anything.

Just mix and apply straight on with a brush, you'll still get nice thin layers

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 27/12/2015 22:26:03

Thread: Balsa Building Boards Are They Worth Buying
19/12/2015 12:19:13

Plus one for plasterboard. thumbs up

Thread: Insurance
03/12/2015 00:10:13
Posted by CARPERFECT on 02/12/2015 21:14:31:

Question to anyone in the know ? Last December while making a new plane, Being daft and not using the Bosh electric wood plane as i should, i managed to remove the ends off two fingers. As i was unable to work for some weeks, could /should i have claimed fro the insurance ?

You are joking though surely indecision You say you didn't use the plane as you should have....  But  you think others should pay for that?

Edited By Craig Carr on 03/12/2015 00:14:40

Thread: CNC cut ply motor mount needed
23/11/2015 09:07:22

Hi Baz,

Ive sometimes used holecutters like this and used the internal "cut out" as a mounting disk. Once cut out you even have the centre hole pre drilled for you.

Unfortunately the sizes are a little off to the 47mm you want but you could go for the 54mm one then put a bolt and nut through the drilled hole and mount in a pillar drill and dress back to 47mm by holding a permagrit block against it while it's spinning in the pillar drill.

I have a holecutter set btw if you want to borrow it.

Craig

Thread: sandpaper ?
17/11/2015 18:46:13

Hello Jon,

I personally use "wet and dry" (used dry obviously laugh) I find it gives a nice finish to the balsa. It's available in various grades from the car accessory shop.

1000 grade might be a good starter but buy a few of each grade and have a bit experiment.

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 17/11/2015 18:47:12

Thread: Pushycat, larger version
30/10/2015 15:25:11

Hello Tom,

I built a larger one about 10 year ago. Mind the wing was a foam core with a balsa skin. the fuz and tail just basically as per a scaled plan (50% bigger)

As Ken says, ESC failure in flight (with no secondary battery) ended up with the model kulou

The only picture I have of it below

Craig

50% bigger pushy cat.jpg

Edited By Craig Carr on 30/10/2015 15:26:15

Thread: Inset dialogue box for this site
28/10/2015 20:10:20

Definitely an issue with edge. It happened to me after I installed w10 (with edge as the default browser).

Went away when I installed Firefox

Thread: wi fi help required
02/09/2015 23:31:06

Her mac should find available wifi signals.

All she needs to do is select your router name then enter the password you have assigned to the router.

Its that simple.  The details on the rear of your router may provide some initial default passwords.  I'm guessing however that you've changed the router password at some point and hence your granddaughter can't login 

Edited By Craig Carr on 02/09/2015 23:39:02

Thread: Tony Nijhuis' new Vulcan
31/08/2015 06:45:28

Hi Martin,

Well done thumbs up

I've just restarted building mine this week after putting the project on hold. After you've added the lead where does that move the c of g to?

Thanks

Craig

Thread: Hawker Hunter crashed at shoreham airshow
23/08/2015 18:11:16

BBC have just posted footage of the accident filmed from the perspective of the A27

BBC site here

Thread: Drone Near Miss.
12/08/2015 20:14:52
Posted by Martin Harris on 12/08/2015 19:29:46:
Posted by Craig Carr on 28/07/2015 21:49:34:

Well I struggle to read it your way BEB crook

you've homed in on one sentence but the precededing text and indeed the rest of the post means he's just saying they are being viewed a blight re how the press are reporting it.

Never mind, it's for John to clarify as you suggest

In BEB's defence, I'm afraid I don't read it that way either - unless I'm mistaken, the full text in question was:

The term that the newspapers have coined has started the confusion and the term "drone" now means multi rotor jobbies that are becoming a blight and angering the hobby fliers such as ourselves.

To me, the logical way to read this is that the newspapers have adopted the term "drone" for multi rotors - fair comment - but the sentiment that they are becoming a blight comes from the poster, reinforced by the choice of the word "ourselves".

The OP has since stated that he didn't intend it to read that way and that should be an end to the matter. I see no need to continue to chastise BEB for what would seem to be a reasonable response to the information available at the time!

I havent "continue" '(d) to chastise BEB Martin to be fair. (my post was a few weeks back in July). Im simply saying I read it another way (and still do). The OP stating "he didnt mean it to read that way" I also took to meaning "not BEBS way".

Its a matter of interpretation, BEB invited the OP to clarify it @ 28/7/15 21:32... The OP hasnt and as far as im concerned not a problem, just pointing out its open to different interpretation. Not an issue to fret over Martin

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!