By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wingman

Here is a list of all the postings Wingman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: YouTube Video you like
18/05/2019 11:02:58

A nice gentle model aircraft vid :-

Thread: IT help required please
15/05/2019 09:43:03

You could try powering down the laptop that doesn't show the photos plugging the SD card into the slot and then powering the laptop back up - might kick in missing drivers.

Thread: Wanted 2 BA compression screw (diesel)
11/05/2019 10:52:26

Progress Aero Works

Union Mill, Union Street, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 6QG, UK

Tel/fax +44 (0)1625 423891

E-mail: tony@paw.ac

Compression screw £7

Thread: Paid-for flying lessons
09/05/2019 10:38:04

I too did the Paul Heckles thing way back in 2003 for heli training and found it very helpful but I'm sure it was £40 per hour and I did a 5 days intensive training course (had a bonus burning a hole in my pocket!). The advantage of paying for it is that you can be more demanding and not having to be 'nice' to a club volunteer trainer.

When it came to model aircraft flying (got bored with helicopters!) I am self-taught - I just threw money at it until I stopped crashing!

Thread: CAA registration consulation
02/05/2019 15:53:46

Commended Gonzo!

02/05/2019 10:15:21

Don't know about anyone else but all this business is making me increasingly depressed. I would just like to enjoy my hobby in peace in retirement without a huge black cloud hanging over it. And to add insult to injury I went to the boating pond to sail my steam boat yesterday and the pond had been emptied!crying

29/04/2019 14:42:18

Having contemplated this CAA registration malarky for a while now it seems to me that this legislation will end up being like the law against smoking in a car when under 18s are passengers i.e. un-enforceable.

Who is going to check whether we model aeroplane flyers have paid up and registered?

The main push of the legislation is to get a registration number on every flying gadget so that when they shoot one down at an airport they can tell who owns it - Ha Ha yeah right!

Who is going to chase you up if you don’t register?

So anyway you register for the first year after which the government will think that it is all working as to plan and the heat dies down so you don’t bother to register for a second year – you might get a reminder (don’t bet on it!) but you could have given up model flying or stopped flying for some other reason - the government will not be able to check up on you will they?

Each flyer will be personally responsible for registering so should there be unregistered flyers in a club, sporting fake registration numbers, it will not reflect on the club in any way.

Thread: Head Loader
21/04/2019 10:09:34

Yes Phill that is correct - mine were plastic perforated balls about tennis ball size mounted on an ali rod about 150mm long. However what I used to do was to tie the heli (raptor 30), complete with blades, by the skids to my B&D workmate then lie underneath it and tweak the needle with the throttle at full chat - if anything let go it was always going to go up and away from me but I never had a problem doing that.

Thread: Stratolaunch Lift off
14/04/2019 09:53:11

Just the job for LMA Dave to get stuck in towink

Thread: Help with heat shrink film on rounded fuselages please
25/03/2019 13:44:06

Re one piece for the top and sides - all the ARTF fuzs I have repaired (more than a fewblush) have mostly had a seam in the covering at the top centreline of the fuz or very occasionally separate top side and bottom pieces done in sequence bottom, sides, top. I use a piece of polystyrene foam packing from a microwave oven box to support models while covering - i cut a 'U' channel out of each end so that fuzs sit in it - doesn't damage the covering.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
21/03/2019 10:50:36

Our club has a Hiviz jacket with "Safety Officer" printed on the back but we can't get anyone to wear it frown so no gets my vote.

Thread: If you only had one engine to use, which one would it be.
10/03/2019 16:40:05

My Saito FG33R3 - lovely to look at and I could listen to its tick-over all day!

Thread: First petrol plane dl 50 field equipment
09/03/2019 13:06:35

Hmmm! how about a large concrete block with a ring bolt sunk into it - wouldn't be portable thoughsmiley.

Suppose the easiest way would be to pour water into a 25kg bag of cement until it solidified.

09/03/2019 12:19:59

I use a Dog Anchor as a restraint with a loop of 10mm bungee cord (because of its soft cover) fitted through the swivel and looped over the aircraft tail. No need for a hammer and impossible to drag out of the ground.

ps no idea why the illustrated ones are all different prices - the cheapest ones do the job.

Edited By Wingman on 09/03/2019 12:22:14

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
08/03/2019 21:12:33

Oh dear Oh dear! What a kerfuffle. It's a Seagull ARTF - they are all good flyers straight out of the box in my experience and almost Hangar 9 quality and it's to be used for flying only comps you say - it's a chipmunk so sedate to moderate flying is the order of the day and weight won't matter as regards a pound or so - looks to me like OCD is creeping in heresmiley or is it a guilty conscience for not building a competition model from scratch??wink 

Edited By Wingman on 08/03/2019 21:14:52

Thread: Field mower question
14/02/2019 20:02:55

How much does it cost to get a contractor to mow the field?

14/02/2019 17:46:20

84" cut - LUXURY Eeee when ah woz a lad ---- but seriously have you checked out how much it would be to get your mower fully refurbished - a new 42" ride-on is going to cost you at least £1800 and will only cut at half your present rate also it will struggle to cut more than a acre and remain serviceable for the whole season (at least our Castelgarden does!)

Thread: De Havilland Airco DH2 scratch build
10/02/2019 13:46:23

Nice one Jeff! Otherwise the pilot would be left wondering why the engine cuts after 10 mins or so on every flightsmiley

Thread: Which glue for bixler
09/02/2019 13:19:34

UHU POR can be used 'wet' straight out of the tube where parts can be slid together and left to dry or indeed as a regular contact adhesive.

Thread: What would be a good Watt Meter to buy?
08/02/2019 16:01:28

Hi Stuart - Put "wattmeter" in the search box above -there's quite a bit on this forum

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Motion RC
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us