By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wingman

Here is a list of all the postings Wingman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Toyan 4 stroke engines
09/11/2019 16:19:00

There's a guy on youtube who plays with them - quite clever - **LINK** - **LINK**

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
08/11/2019 20:44:54

I've got 10 aircraft ready to go but my labelling problem is solved! - Labels (yeah right!)

Thread: Benedini Sound modul
03/11/2019 15:26:55
There you go Bernd - cheers

Edited By Wingman on 03/11/2019 15:28:22

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
01/11/2019 10:40:52

I wonder what the deal will be if you refuse to land? A truncheon over the back of the head? Tazered? Just joking (I hope) but, to me, that is the worst facet of these regs, the fact that the police will be able criminalise you on the spot for flying a toy aeroplane. Our site is only a mile or so from the cop shop and they have been known to stop by in their patrol car and watch us flying for a few minutes on a nice day so I'm sure we can expect a visit.

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
26/10/2019 12:07:45

Can't see the point in a throttle cut (or inhibit switch) as it's just something else to get wrong - which way is off and on? - but I suppose if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then that is OK.

If you just place the throttle stick at half way when connecting the battery then the esc won't activate and the motor won't start until you return the stick to zero and then move it up again - note: that is two movements to activate - difficult to do accidentally!. Works on any transmitter old or new, needs no programming and is highly visible.

Thread: Clubs as Operators?
22/10/2019 18:53:48

It would be wrong to put volunteer committee members in the way of legal liability and it would be stupid of them to agree to it. Don't forget that the police can turn up at your field and issue a spot fine of £100 to the Operator (ie the committee) if they find a transgression of the regulations.

Thread: Old 35mHz Futaba
20/10/2019 16:01:17

Ah yes I can see it now - latest government ammendment to Drone regulations 3.2.3.1.2.3.12.23 para 3.2 sub para b (1) "Model aircraft controlled exclusively using frequencies in the 35Mhz dedicated model flying band will be exempt from all regulations herein"

wink wink

Thread: How far do you travel to fly at your club?
20/10/2019 13:59:18

I'm a member of two clubs.

One is 20 mins away and I use it when the wind is northerly or southerly and the other is 1 hour away which I use when the wind is easterly/westerly and it has better facilities but if I travel the hour then it's for a whole days flying.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
19/10/2019 21:07:07

The Cruel Sea

The Dam Busters

Dark Blue World

Thread: Curio
04/10/2019 15:18:27

Picked this up in the local bric-a-brac shop for £3

bf110.jpg

It's a limited edition Coalport plate entitled "Flight of Eagles" depicting two Bf110s over the Needles - makes a change from a brace of Spitfires I suppose smiley but I can't exactly place a selling point

or a point of authenticityfrown

Thread: Latest CAA Update
07/09/2019 12:43:22

Gonzo, as intimated, you cannot expect volunteer club office bearers to expose themselves to the law for the benefit of the members so, in your example, that will mean no more club trainer aircraft. This, to me, is the whole crux of the problem in relation to a these new regulations - they allow the government to get its hooks into our little volunteer run clubs.

07/09/2019 11:04:13

Gonzo's post above refers to the "club" doing this and the "club" doing that in relation to club owned assets however, this brings the club, which is run by volunteers, within the reach of the law and you cannot expect volunteers to expose themselves to prosecution just for the benefit of club members. I am an office bearer in our club (just about the only one!) and I will not be exposing myself to any of these forthcoming regulation in respect of the club - all members will be personally and solely responsible for complying with the relevant laws, not the club.

Thread: Covering advice please
31/08/2019 18:28:59

No 'gunk' from petrol engines in my experience - certainly nothing to lift covering.

Thread: The Repair Shop
31/08/2019 17:25:42

It is indeed a good programme. I have noticed that programmes where people use their hands to make things are all very watchable - The Great British Bake-off, The Great Pottery Throwdown, Money for Nothing, The Great British Sewing Bee, The Great Model Railway Challenge, Kirstie's Celebriry Craft Masters and my personal favourite Forged in Fire.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
30/08/2019 15:32:11

What I'm really disappointed with are the collected model flying associations who, having taken our money, totalling a sum of seven figures annually, for a large number of years have proved to be completely inept at protecting the interests of their members, the basic tenet of an association. At the very least they should have insisted that UK modellers should be charged the minimum European standard payment - zero (France) - and should have enforced the point that they already, collectively, register model flyers in the UK.

I do wonder if they had any knowledgeable legal representation present with them at any of the meetings?

I'm with the SAA all of whose council members are volunteers - oh dear!

30/08/2019 10:57:23

At Weston Park I got talking to a gent from Germany - there it costs 50 euros to register (apparently termed insurance by the government) and each model must carry a plate carrying the registration number which must be capable of remaining readable after being exposed to a temperature of 500C - yes 500C - effectively meaning the registration plate must, apparently, be made from stainless steel (supplied by the modeller).

So that's possibly £16.50 here, 50 euros in Germany, free in France - anybody know what the charges are in other countries?

Thread: Shipping Lipos to Australia
29/08/2019 10:26:34

Keep them in storage here - you'll be back, like thousands of otherswink

Thread: Nice gesture from Hobbyking
18/08/2019 11:26:59
Thread: Giving up
10/07/2019 10:00:42

Gawd! That would really put you off your modelling!

Thread: Electric Cars.
08/07/2019 18:43:42

@DickW - thankyou that's exactly what I was asking for - looks like you can't take your family on holiday with an electric car yet a while - strictly for town puttering only.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us