By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wingman

Here is a list of all the postings Wingman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
07/09/2019 12:43:22

Gonzo, as intimated, you cannot expect volunteer club office bearers to expose themselves to the law for the benefit of the members so, in your example, that will mean no more club trainer aircraft. This, to me, is the whole crux of the problem in relation to a these new regulations - they allow the government to get its hooks into our little volunteer run clubs.

07/09/2019 11:04:13

Gonzo's post above refers to the "club" doing this and the "club" doing that in relation to club owned assets however, this brings the club, which is run by volunteers, within the reach of the law and you cannot expect volunteers to expose themselves to prosecution just for the benefit of club members. I am an office bearer in our club (just about the only one!) and I will not be exposing myself to any of these forthcoming regulation in respect of the club - all members will be personally and solely responsible for complying with the relevant laws, not the club.

Thread: Covering advice please
31/08/2019 18:28:59

No 'gunk' from petrol engines in my experience - certainly nothing to lift covering.

Thread: The Repair Shop
31/08/2019 17:25:42

It is indeed a good programme. I have noticed that programmes where people use their hands to make things are all very watchable - The Great British Bake-off, The Great Pottery Throwdown, Money for Nothing, The Great British Sewing Bee, The Great Model Railway Challenge, Kirstie's Celebriry Craft Masters and my personal favourite Forged in Fire.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
30/08/2019 15:32:11

What I'm really disappointed with are the collected model flying associations who, having taken our money, totalling a sum of seven figures annually, for a large number of years have proved to be completely inept at protecting the interests of their members, the basic tenet of an association. At the very least they should have insisted that UK modellers should be charged the minimum European standard payment - zero (France) - and should have enforced the point that they already, collectively, register model flyers in the UK.

I do wonder if they had any knowledgeable legal representation present with them at any of the meetings?

I'm with the SAA all of whose council members are volunteers - oh dear!

30/08/2019 10:57:23

At Weston Park I got talking to a gent from Germany - there it costs 50 euros to register (apparently termed insurance by the government) and each model must carry a plate carrying the registration number which must be capable of remaining readable after being exposed to a temperature of 500C - yes 500C - effectively meaning the registration plate must, apparently, be made from stainless steel (supplied by the modeller).

So that's possibly £16.50 here, 50 euros in Germany, free in France - anybody know what the charges are in other countries?

Thread: Shipping Lipos to Australia
29/08/2019 10:26:34

Keep them in storage here - you'll be back, like thousands of otherswink

Thread: Nice gesture from Hobbyking
18/08/2019 11:26:59
Thread: Giving up
10/07/2019 10:00:42

Gawd! That would really put you off your modelling!

Thread: Electric Cars.
08/07/2019 18:43:42

@DickW - thankyou that's exactly what I was asking for - looks like you can't take your family on holiday with an electric car yet a while - strictly for town puttering only.

Thread: Field boxes
08/07/2019 18:28:48

I use a Mothercare nappy box like this except that it was bought for my first son and he's 36 nowsmiley. It's been a nappy box and a caravan battery box before I changed it to a flight box - how's that for recyclingyes

07/07/2019 21:52:22

It's the range thing that always bothers me about electric cars.

I recently drove 450 miles which took me about 8 hours where I stopped once for fuel, twice for 'comfort' and once for 30 minutes for lunch. I travelled at 80 mph where possible.

I was wondering if anybody on here has done a similar sort of distance in an electric vehicle and, if so, would they like to share their journey details so I can get some sort of idea how that sort of range is covered electrically.

Thread: Soft Mount
06/07/2019 12:42:02

They look rather like Rawlnuts so the mounting hole would be the diameter of the rubber sleeve so the rubber sleeve would compress on the inboard side of the firewall and the rigidity can be adjusted by tightening the bolt. If you dont do that and just drill a hole the diameter of the bolt you will have the metal bolt touching the wood which will produce noise - at least that's my way of looking at it wink

Edited By Wingman on 06/07/2019 12:43:14

Edited By Wingman on 06/07/2019 12:44:30

06/07/2019 12:31:17

Interesting Q&A session here - the experts seem to be floundering at times.

Thread: Help needed with film covering
28/06/2019 15:59:21

Re iron temp - check your Fs and Cs - my Prolux LCD iron is 100C lowest temp which is 212F - hold the on/off button down for 3 seconds to change from one to the other. I've found the temp readout to be accurate enough..

Edited By Wingman on 28/06/2019 16:00:15

27/06/2019 20:56:45

AND make sure you remove the backing film before you startblush

Thread: TN large scale Wellington Bomber
27/06/2019 10:08:46

Met a gentleman at Weston Park show who is going to put 2 Saito 33R3 engines into the Wellington he is building - reckon that will sound almost scale!

Thread: YouTube Video you like
18/05/2019 11:02:58

A nice gentle model aircraft vid :-

Thread: IT help required please
15/05/2019 09:43:03

You could try powering down the laptop that doesn't show the photos plugging the SD card into the slot and then powering the laptop back up - might kick in missing drivers.

Thread: Wanted 2 BA compression screw (diesel)
11/05/2019 10:52:26

Progress Aero Works

Union Mill, Union Street, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 6QG, UK

Tel/fax +44 (0)1625 423891

E-mail: tony@paw.ac

Compression screw £7

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us