By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for dave windymiller

Here is a list of all the postings dave windymiller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WD40
06/08/2020 20:23:44

Re the bird muck thing, my understanding is when you wash away the muck and find the paint surface has been damaged by it, wd40 is used to soften the paint allowing it to polish easier and quicker (using t-cut or similar).

I know wasps in jars dont like it from the "experiments" we did as kids! They'd rather sting themselves to death!

Thread: Me.109 myths
04/08/2020 20:56:55

I spent a very happy few years at Ironbridge during its biomass conversion before closure!

04/08/2020 10:28:50

When you are involved with a closing down power station "available" = stuff that would find more use in my garage than mixed in with demolition rubble!!! wink

03/08/2020 21:06:25

Dave Windy Miller.

A skilled modeller and a thoroughly absorbing thread.

Rojair ME109

Edited By Doc Marten on 02/08/2020 18:51:41

Very kind words thank you. Heres the link to the spinner side thread!!

Here

Good luck!

Thread: Arduino programming for beginners.
25/07/2020 21:03:25

I have to agree with Kevin re "Beginning C for Arduino" was a bit hard going. Ive found the best education has been having a specific task to achieve and searching the web for examples or similar functionality and tweaking them until it does what you want. My first arduino project was an altimeter about 18 months ago (i posted it in this forum) and now at work im using arduinos for a variety of tasks, one of which has 40 arduinos talking to each other simulating a power station milling systems instrumentation.

20200205_215648.jpg

Modelling wise I am also developing a cockpit display for a jet project 25mmx25mm, again adapted from a totally different example found on the net (pilots please excuse any errors in its readings as there is artistic license in play!) I can see it wouldnt be that difficult to have a display that actually worked using various sensors (but lifes too short)!

unknown.jpg

At work i am now circuit boards using the ATmega328 chip directly but using arduino C to program them. This sub board (hand soldered prototype in picture) replaces 2 ics that are no longer available in one of our products. The key thing again was having an idea and end result to aim for and searching the web. I still find myself grabbing hold of the blink sketch from time to time (Blink is example 1 in the examples). Stick with it as its a fascinating subject, im glad i did as my job has totally changed as a result. I have never written a sketch from scratch by the way.

20190930_152921.jpg

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
12/07/2020 22:17:32

Thanks for the replies. That smashed Vulcan must have been painful to watch. I have considered the bungee/ramps approach but having a spinney thing front and back sounds like a problem (particularly the front engine).

The mk1 version:-

appeared to work well except for the rear prop eating the balsa blocks plane support on the dolly. Without this issue and the immense power to weight i think the mk2 should work. Went to try it yesterday and found i had the wrong transmitter for the plane Doh!!! The rapier is still on 35mhz 1024PCM being a "now and again" plane rather than a regular hack.

Thread: Super rare Rojair kit - Pre production ME109 with slight fire damage
09/07/2020 20:14:25

Thanks guys!

08/07/2020 21:12:17

Slow progress but bulges look a bit more like they should compared to early pics Cockpit glass added with fibreglass frame.

Trying to get this and the Komet to the spraying stage together

20200507_202847.jpg

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
04/07/2020 22:19:24

MK2 dolly with seperate rx for steering for Rapier twin.

20200606_203720.jpg

20200606_202206.jpg

MK1 used balsa blocks that located into the handgrip in the center assuming it would lift away before the back prop reached it. Wrong. It flew but the rear prop was broken (thankfully the engine stopped too). The balsa block was destroyed. This one has a camera to get a close up of the carnage as viewed from underneath!!

What could possibly go wrong?

Thread: Rojair ME163 build
29/06/2020 15:38:05

Ive now filled the wing joints, cut open the cowl for the engine and assembled the cockpit

20200628_161037.jpg

20200628_161101.jpg

The cockpit is balsa then two clear vac form layers. The inner vac formed is painted except for either side of the glass bullet proof glass. This gives a very natty looking glass screen. The outer will be painted except for the main cockpit glass and two little windows that a fuel tank can be seen through.

A longer engine would not work in this model so the fp25 looks to be the right choice!

There a Komet kit on Ebay at the moment but you will need to sit down to look at the (optimistic) price!!!!!

Rojair komet on ebay

Edited By dave windymiller on 29/06/2020 15:46:06

23/05/2020 11:37:07

When I glued the bottom half of the fus to the wing i noticed that the fus width was narrower than as shown on the plan by some 15mm. As the vac formed fisalage half was quite flexible it took no effort to simply widen the fusalage as i glue it. BIG mistake. When i came to fit the top half, it would not stretch to match. I also noticed that the stretched bottom half also caused the nose and tail to flex upwards. Fitting the top was a right mare involving surgery to remove material from the rear mating joints as they now overlapped. I also had to cut out segments of the wing fairing to get it to match. Again cyno appears to be ace with this plastic!

The tail jet pipe was now anything but round with the rear of the plane some 6mm shallower than designed. I opened up the hole again but this hole was not flat but scalloped with the fin fairing. Fortunately i found a lampshade nut wrench made of white abs that fit the hole perfectly, making it round and looks like a jet nozzle.

20200520_195402.jpg

I was planning on having a servo dolly release but after studying the plans i decided the standard method was so simple it would be reliable. The kit only give you the vac formed pan so the other bits are from stock! You have to make a pivot block from nylon (i used ally as i had some) to trail a 1m length of piano wire. As it takes off the tailing wire pivots downwards and releases the from the plane!

20200518_201744.jpg

20200518_201638.jpg

Ive also bought a nice looking OS25FP which is dimensionally identical to the fp20, a bit lighter and 20% more power. Its the same piston/porting as the famous os25FSR but shorter due to lack of crank bearing. This is the final engine choice!

Edited By dave windymiller on 23/05/2020 11:41:38

Thread: If you like engines.........
13/05/2020 21:49:21

It did. Originally Simon (AKA the sleep doctor) built an inline 8 cylinder engine and this engine is effectively 6 of those bolted together.

Its intake for a bank of 8 cylinders was a single carb onto an ever diminishing diameter manifold. It had to be revved for all cylinders to fire properly judging by the wide range of head temps.

This was filmed at one of our Kawaski triple club rallys (in fact one of the pairs of legs was mine!)

Here

Total folly in my opinion but it achieved it objective, world record breaking.

13/05/2020 16:15:15

This will add weight to the why bother brigade

Another friend of mine Simon Whitelock built this - 48cylinders (49 if you include the moped engine starter motor).

Totally impractical, impossible to ride more than a few feet and way less power than the sum of parts used kh250 cylinders.

His attitude was i want a Guinness world record. A waste of effort in my view

Edited By dave windymiller on 13/05/2020 16:18:43

10/05/2020 21:33:50

I can confirm Cyno is marvelous for sticking the ABS parts together. It melts the surface so gets a very good bond. I use thin stuff for the initial joint then thicker cyno as a fillet. Here's the fin now fitted to the upper fus with a scrap insert under the fin.

20200508_210504.jpg

Control surfaces added, each section having 1.5mm reflex compared to its inner neighbor.

20200509_212026.jpg

Ive gone back to the OS Max 20 as its a much better fit and some 15mm shorter than the SC25. Can upgrade later. Throttle servo awkward to access under the fuel tank but not impossible.

20200510_203825.jpg

Final shape emerging. Dolly also taking shape.

20200510_210028.jpg

Edited By dave windymiller on 10/05/2020 21:37:11

Thread: If you like engines.........
10/05/2020 13:43:19

Drag bike with 3 tuned H2 engines

imag0819.jpg

My boss and myself took redundancy from the power industry 5 years ago. My boss, a former drag racing champion talked about designing a new drag bike. 5 years later, i have a few model planes made whilst he made this 1700cc triple, completely scratch built monster. !imag0825.jpg

09/05/2020 20:38:50

At the opposite end of the comfort spectrum!!! 2 H2 engines & blower

24/04/2020 22:13:39

The other Rojair model i am finishing (ME109G another thread in this section) dates back to the early 80s and the vac formed parts were glued together at the time. 40 years on I expected these to fall apart but after some flexing i concluded were still sound. The glue looks like Cyno and quite hard.

My gut feel is cyno would be too brittle but i also suspect it partly dissolves the plastic which would helop

As you say they recommend Roket which the blurb says was developed "in conjunction with Loctite". I will do some experiments with offcuts before committing!

Has anyone got experience of this model with the dolly for takeoff?

23/04/2020 22:13:32

I think ive decided to go with the OS FP20 initially then move up to the sc25. Many years ago i "tuned up" this 20 engine by drilling out the exhaust tail pipe of the silencer. Since then it doesn't develop enough pressure for a constant fuel feed so rarely got used. Thankfully there was a silencer on ebay for a fiver so thats on order!

Front bulkhead/engine bearers/tank assembly glued into lower fus. This extends right down into the front of the skid to add strength

20200423_124341[1].jpg

Wing seating dry fitted.

20200423_124604[1].jpg

Next to add trailing edge/control surfaces

21/04/2020 22:30:19

I agree Steve, the quality of this kit is very good! The vac formed parts are lovely quality. I can remember Rob Millinship copying an aeromodeller ME163 glider plan in the late 70s as basis for this model! I still have that very plan! Rob is a talented chap and his move to full sized aviation was a big loss to aeromodelling!

This is first kit ive made in over 20 years and being unorthodox in construction, i'm following instructions to the letter. This is good as it forces through those pet hate steps that usually add 6 months to a build! eg control surfaces (dont know why?)

Wing nearly done. Outer elevons have increased reflex. Plan also shows option for single piece elevon but that doesnt look as good

20200421_155524[1].jpg

Fus trimmed to make TE sharp and holes cut out where required to enable wing to be finished off to fit (another step i would procrastinate at for fear of cocking up).

20200421_212106[1].jpg

The fin has a box section below which fits inside main body for strength!

Windy

20/04/2020 22:40:21

Thanks for that. The kit comes with the underpan that forms a dolly. Instructions are on the plan how to build it but I just need to add the axle & wheels. I may try that approach as my own launching arm isnt what it was.

Leaning towards the sc25 with weight saving from the servos, mixer etc. The kit comes with 2 nose cones so i can try various options.

I kept feeling guilty by building a mint in box historical kit but im over that now.

Dave

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!