By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Romeo Whisky

Here is a list of all the postings Romeo Whisky has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Home-made sub-250g Models
22/10/2019 13:44:16

Chuckle in flight.jpgChuckle Home-build.jpgFlidl 2.jpgAlthough I am no builder, I recently decided to set myself the task of making one or two sub 250g RC models for my grandson, so he could fly them locally and without the new DRES registration. He's miles away from a club, and cost is also an issue, so it became an interesting project for me to make some really lightweight models "on a shoestring budget".

My first attempt was made from grey pipe lagging and an old wing from someting I bought years ago. I called it "The Lobster" because of its colours and the fact it needs to be lobbed into the air!

My second attempt was to power one of the chuck gliders from Lidl. It flies beautifully but came in in a little over my target 250g.

The third attempt was called "Chuckle" (it also needs chucking into the air) and this is well under 150g and is made from corrugated plastic sheeting called Proplex, bought from Wickes.

Anybody else been doing this kind of thing? Let's se.

Lobster.jpgFlidl 1.jpg

Thread: Charging LiFePo4 batteries
22/10/2019 13:20:56

I think the main point you need answering is simply confirmation that LiFe is the common abbreviation for LiFePo4.

It is.

So your LiFe settings on your charger will be specially designed for LiFePO4 batteries.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
20/10/2019 17:09:42

1. Patton

2. Tora, Tora Tora

3. Midway (though not the sub-plot)

but I also highly rate Dunkirk (original with Bernard Lee), 12 O'clock High, Battle of the River Plate, Malta Story, Flying Leathernecks, The Way to the Stars, Angels One Five, The Blue Max, The Enemy Below, Sink the Bismark, and of course The Dambusters and The Battle of Britain.

I love the Mossie flying sequences from 633 Squadron and Mosquito Squadron, but IMPO the storylines are tripe, and Pearl Harbor is even worse.

Thread: HobbyKing MX2 955mm
16/10/2019 10:35:35

I've had one of these for a while (almost 150 flights). Great winter hack and flies really well, although I'm not into 3D so fly it really as a sport model. My only issue with it is the short flight durations I'm getting with it. Of course duration is really all about amps draw v battery capacity.

I'm using 2217 a 1100Kv 200W motor with 3S 1300 or 1500 mAh battery, 30A Plush ESC and (up to now) a Master Airscrew 8050 prop (although recommended prop is 10x4.7 or 11.4.7 Slow-fly).

On the 8050 prop it flies well as a sport model but I've recently gone to a 9060 Master Airscrew prop to give it a bit more grunt. However with the 0850 prop the flight duration is barely 4 minutes and the 9060 it's giving only 3 minutes 20 secs average with only 14% capacity left on landing using the 1500mAh pack. It is hard to see how the larger recommended SF props would make the duration any better, and I've assumed they're intended for slow 3D manoeuvres. The 9060 setup pulls 22.5A at full chat. Fitting a larger battery is a no-go without major surgery and the risk of weakening the ply sub-frame.

I'd be grateful to hear how any others are finding the performance/duration and the set-ups they are using.

Thread: Junior 60 Equipment Advice
17/09/2019 10:25:04

You might find this link helpful Andy

Basic Guide to Electric Flight

Thread: Beth's off.....
05/07/2019 10:52:34

Congrats and thought you might enjoy this cartoon I did for our club newsletter.

Stork Model

Thread: Transmitter / receiver issues, help needed pls
20/06/2019 09:14:29

By the way, I know the manual for the FlySky is vague about a lot of things - especially the fact the Expo should be negative. There is a good programming tutorial for this transmitter

HERE

20/06/2019 09:05:02

One possibility that occurs to me is that you've got the transmitter very close to the reciever or getting signal "bounce" inside the garage.

Try it outside and stand with the transmitter a few feet away and see if that's better.

Don't forget to remove the prop first or restrain the model firmly.

Thread: Ink Jet Printing
02/06/2019 16:01:12

There is an article about this in our Club Newsletter here ...

**LINK**

Thread: Hurricane/ do they need rudder/aileron mix?
24/05/2019 15:13:22

You may be interested to know that the Wright brothers mixed rudder in with ailerons (actually wing-warp) back in 1903. Fact!

Thread: Suitable caption?
13/05/2019 15:17:46

Flying inverted means the model being inverted - not you!

Thread: Using separate battery for servos and motor and how to connect them to Rx
13/05/2019 15:15:06

In my view a better way than cutting or removing the red wire from the ESC/RX lead is to use a short servo extension lead and simply remove the centre (red) wire entirely from the extension lead and put it between the ESC and the receiver. That way leaves the ESC RX lead intact for future use if you ever decide to use the built in BEC.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 13/05/2019 15:15:25

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
21/03/2019 11:50:02

It is a pity that this poll assumes that the two are mutually exclusive, which in my view they should never be.

It implies that by having a Safety Officer everyone else in the Club can completey abdicate any responsibility for safe practice. That is surely an UNSAFE state of affairs.

In our Club the answer would be BOTH. (See Safety Matters page on our website dmfc.org.uk).

We have a Safety Officer who reports safety issues and violations to the Committee, but our Club Rules point out that safety is everybody's responsibility, and naturally there will be many times that the Safety Officer is not present at the field. Whether he is present or not is largely irrelevant as all members have a responsibility for safety, including tactfully and respectfully pointing out any potential dangerous practices they observe. Ours is a friendly club and members also seem to appreciate that correcting a friend takes courage as well as needing tact and respect, and I have heard members thank and apologise to the person who has pointed out safety issues to them.

Thread: Famous model flyers
11/01/2019 16:40:45

I'm sure I've seen a photograph of the late Douglas Bader flying an RC model

Thread: ESC for RC-Factory Crack Wing?
06/12/2018 08:59:00

I've just put my Crack Wing together, using the power setup supplied by the retailer. It's a 2100 Kv motor, GWS 7x3.5 prop and I'm using a Nanotech 2S 260mAh battery. The ESC supplied is a JP 6A, but I can't help wondering if the 6A ESC rating is man enough for this motor and prop on 2S.

I've got a wattmeter, but it's difficult to set up on so small a model, and especially a flying wing, so I'm wondering if anyone has one of these and can offer advice.

Alternatively are there any spreadhseet tools out there that enable you to input motor Kv , Voltage and prop size and give an accurate watts/amps result?

Thread: Club Website?
01/12/2018 12:12:01

When I was asked to take on our Club's website, I trawled around a huge number of other clubs' websites to see how they looked and performed (speed of loading is important these days) and the info they contained, to come up with some idea of "best practice".

I found, inevitably, that they vary tremendously. There are some excellent ones out there and some dreadful ones (no names, no packdrill). There are also large numbers that look as though they haven't been updated for a very long time.

I have also found that there is a lot of work setting up and properly maintaining a decent website, so it is quite a commitment. Don't forget that in today's world websites must scale correctly because they can be viewed on everything from a small mobile phone screen to a massive full 4K TV screen.

A club website has to do two things:-

1. Be a "window" on to the Club for outsiders and prospective members and

2. Be of some informational service to existing members. (I do find myself wondering how many Club members ever visit their own club website, and if so, how often).

The first thing you need to do is to determine the content and develop a rough idea about how you want it to look. You can begin to do this using a Word Processor or Destop Publishing software. That will take time! Only when you've done that is the time to consider the hosting and backend issues. It is all a very interesting learning process, but quite time-consuming. You will (should) also find that it is an ongoing, somewhat iterative, process. Development should never really stop, as the internet world and its protocols etc are changing all the time, and websites that are not freshened up from time-to-time fall into disuse.

Of course, like so many things, opinions are very subjective, but I'll risk putting my head over the parapet and you are welcome to see our Club site at **LINK**

Thread: Do you weigh your lipos (I think you should!)
01/12/2018 11:43:33

I always weigh them, always have - and I label them with the weight too.

I have found that batteries of supposedly the same brand, volyage, mAh, C rating and even identical labels, can vary in weight by up to 15g. Maybe not too relevant in bigger models but in flying wings and smaller models it can matter!

Similar capacity batteries from different brands can vary even more.

Thread: Comper CLA-7 Swift
28/10/2018 08:47:41

Here's a photo I took of a Comper Swift back in the early 1960s when I was ...er... much younger! I think this must have been at Sywell, but I can't be sure.Comper CLA7 Swift

Thread: Motor mods to old Ripmax P-51 mustang ARF
19/10/2018 11:18:41

Hi Tim,

I think the 4-Max one should be fine. It's a bit lower Kv than the Mega, but I fly mine on half throttle all the time (which is much more scale-like anyway), so you should still have plently of power. The 5mm prop shaft on this motor will also be much better on a belly-lander than the 3.2mm on the one you've currently got in there.

Personally I wouldn't dream of putting an outrunner in mine - it's so clearly asking for an inrunner and I love the smoothness of them. (I've got one in my Overlander Tucano too - also originally designed for canned brushed 600). Of course I've got lots of outrunners in other models which were designed for them but still love the smoothness of inrunners.

The model flies beautifully on 3200 3S and can handle wind quite well. I usually launch mine off a dolly, but it is easy to hand launch too (though easier with a helper to hand launch it).

Ensure the ESC brake is off and it sets itself up into a nice glide angle for landing when you cut the throttle on finals. You don't want a heavy landing on that underbelly mock airscoop (although mine is still pristine after 12 years) so let it glide down softly. Whichever way you go, I hope you enjoy it.

Regards, RW

PS.  You can see mine flying on our Club Website:  dmfc.org.uk.  both in the Galleries and also if you click the navigation titles at the foot of each web-page the photos change.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 19/10/2018 11:21:57

19/10/2018 10:08:12

I see Robotbirds are stocking the excellent Mega motors (they're still pricey though), but 4-Max stock an "equivalent" 1500Kv inrunner for only about £30, which should be an easy fit as there doesn't appear to be anything protruding from the can side to prevent it being positioned exactly where you need it to be. Better clamp it tight though!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us