By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Hooper

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Hooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: advice wanted for hinges on Siebel SI 201 build
02/11/2019 14:47:13

Rich,

Can you post a photo? I've only ever seen bell motors where the shaft emerges from the closed end of the bell.

Tim

31/10/2019 22:34:41

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, and your intention to follow a planned progression. The Wot4 is an excellent trainer (if you have an instructor to hand), and I'm sure you'll succeed.

Let me know if I can help further!

Tim

30/10/2019 20:55:15

Hi Richard,

Welcome back to this ridiculous hobby!

A couple of points about the Siebel, if I may;

1. It's an interesting build, but NOT a suitable model for a beginner to fly. I'd aim for something more conventional on which to take flight for the first time in 60 years.

2. The full, multi-page, build thread dates back to 2009, and can be found on the RC Groups forum here;

**LINK**

I no longer have the model but, from imperfect memory, I can vaguely recall hinging the tail surfaces with the 'hairy CA' type of hinge, whilst the ailerons were top-hinged with silver Solartrim.

I really wouldn't bother with installing the flaps at all - just added complication.

The high, pusher thrustline wanted to make the model nose over whenever the throttle was advanced for take off, so I'd move the undercarriage forwards a tad, and perhaps add bigger wheels.

Sorry to sound so negative about the model, Richard, but it's more of a builders model than a fliers model (if you see what I mean!)

Tim

Thread: silver solarfilm
21/10/2019 21:48:14

There was a bad batch of silver Solarfilm produced some years ago. Wouldn't stick down for love nor money.

Is this new stock?

Tim

Thread: The component shop
12/10/2019 21:33:51

Excellent service.

They're now on my employers list of 'approved suppliers'.

Tim

Thread: Lipo advice please
07/10/2019 21:25:17

I have a couple of 10 cell models, and use 2x5S packs in them.

Besides being able to use 'standard' chargers, I can also use the individual 5S packs in other, smaller models.

Tim

Thread: Ashbourne 2019
11/09/2019 22:49:06

Gimme my oatcake, dammit!

Tim

Thread: The Repair Shop
31/08/2019 20:56:33

It's compulsory viewing in our house. smiley

I really enjoy watching or being in the company of enthusiasts who can make/repair items that would otherwise collect dust in a forgotten corner - whether or not it's a skill that I'm particularly interested in.

There's another series (Salvage Hunters - The Restorers) which is also well worth seeking out.

As an aside, I accompanied my wife, Netty, to a major quilting exhibition at the NEC recently. I've no interest in making a quilt, it has to be said, but the creativity and skill of these people borders on the unreal.

Tim

PS. KIrsten is hot......

Thread: DH60 FOLDING WING
11/08/2019 22:32:44
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 10/08/2019 12:35:08:

Have a look at Tim Hooper's Civilian Coupe thread here. It might provide some food for thought.

Thanks Chris,

I was about to link to the thread myself!

Wandering around various aircraft collections, I've always been amazed just how tiny the wing locking mechanisms are. Mind you, a biplane's rigging wires take all the flight loads, so I guess all the locking latches have to cope with is the drag caused by the airspeed.

Tim

Thread: Tim's Next Project
03/08/2019 21:27:54
Posted by Steve Adams on 03/08/2019 20:25:14:

Hi Tim,

Did you decide a next project in the end?

Hi Steve,

I have to confess that the last project that I drew up was the Civilian Coupe from a couple of years ago.

The models that I cover in my column tend to start as the work of somebody else, so that don't qualify as my own designs, if you see what I mean!

Tim wink

Thread: Citabria Pro (1/8 scale)
14/06/2019 22:50:39

Thanks Rory!

I don't blame you for making up your own scheme - as there was only one prototype ever made, the scale purists choices are a bit limited!

Any photos of your efforts?

Tim

Thread: Retired, Returned, Looking for a club near Telford
15/05/2019 21:35:32
Posted by Dunkelmann on 14/05/2019 19:18:52:

I think there is one at Shifnal but I have no idea where or how to contact them.

Dunkelmann, check your messages...….wink

Thread: CAA registration consulation
27/04/2019 13:08:01

I've responded to the consultation document as I feel appropriate.

We should all do the same.

Tim

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
13/04/2019 21:37:30
Posted by Peter Miller on 13/04/2019 11:16:06:

I have learned through long and bitter experience that if I leave one project to move on to another the first will NEVER be finished .

I'm with you, Peter.

I'm a single-task bloke, so it's strictly one project at a time.

Tim

Thread: RCM&E May 2019 issue chat
13/04/2019 10:42:07
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 13/04/2019 08:54:51:

What size did you scale it up to Tim? A future RCM&E plan including your own modifications?

Can't wait!

Piers,

I've had it printed out to yield a span of 39" - so a 50% enlargement.

Outerzone plan

There's no real call for a new plan. Other than fitting an outrunner up front, the only real mods I made were the undercarriage and a 50mm extention to the rear fuselage. Oh, and the fin's a bit bigger too!

Tim

12/04/2019 20:31:13

This thread could run, couldn't it?

I must confess that I'd never really considered the older generation of CL classics as suitable material for new RC technology before, so you guys have beat me to it!

I'm enjoying the ride.

Tim

12/04/2019 19:28:33

Thanks Gents!

Brad, my Outerzone-sourced plan makes no mention Bill Dean - I wonder why his name has been removed?

Jim, it was your photos that I found, that encouraged me to pursue the build.

FWIW, I did increase the tail moment, as well as reducing the size of the elevator.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but the model had its maiden flight quite recently. It's quick!

Tim

2018-08-03 18.36.58.jpg

img_1826.jpg

img_3331.jpg

img_3351.jpg

img_3412.jpg

Thread: Big Trouble in Model Britain
10/03/2019 20:06:35

We enjoyed the programme immensely.

I suspect that markets and culture are changing, so it might be a wise idea to stock up on kits for the future.

Tim

Thread: Civilian Coupe (1932)
08/02/2019 21:44:35
Posted by Stuart Quinn-Harvie 1 on 08/02/2019 00:31:01:

I've just seen this thread and model: I have to say that is BEAUTIFUL. A gorgeous subject and a wonderful model of it. Well done Tim, a work of art.

Thank you, Stuart!

I know of a couple of Coupes under construction - one very local to me, and another in the USA!

My own Coupe is still pristine, and gets a little airtime on suitably calm Sundays.

Tim

Thread: Blackburn B2 - a 30's bipe with a whole lot of shiny bits!
04/02/2019 22:44:13

Jim,

The front lower part of the cowl (with air intake) is a separate item, which is attached by a screw to the front of the fuselage.

The flying surfaces are covered in silver Solartex, with more strips of the same pretending to be rib tapes

Tim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us