By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Charles Galloway

Here is a list of all the postings Charles Galloway has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chipmunk found in Wigan
17/01/2015 23:46:36

Thanks for the comments guys.

I will take a break and then look at it again in a while.

cheers,

Charles.

16/01/2015 15:40:49

Hi all,

Sorry to say that I've decided to shelve the Chippy for the moment at least.

I came to do a final assembly before covering and found that the TE of the rear fairings were not level, also looking along the line of the wings one of the panels has a pronounced bow in it so that the ailerons/flaps don't line up. I really don't know why I didn't spot the problems earlier but I really feel deflated and can't face building another wing.

I've put it in the loft for now and will do something else until I hopefully have a burst of enthusiasm.

Thanks to all, especially Danny for his encouragement and tips. I've learned a lot from this, so all isn't wasted.

Looking forward to seeing some completed models.

Charles.

Thread: Chip Shop
16/01/2015 10:36:05

I've just ripped off one side of the rear fairings. Had a bad dose of man flu over the holidays so made no progress, and when I looked at the fairing a couple of days ago, one TE was lower than the other by about 1/8". I'm sure it looked level when I did it!

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
12/01/2015 15:10:35

Really useful.

Thanks Danny

21/12/2014 22:53:51

Thanks Danny.

I haven't decided on a scheme yet. The only photos I have access to at the moment are the ones linked to on this site. It's something I need to decide upon soon.

Not sure about the canopy. It's not something I've been happy about on other models, but a sliding one might just be a step too far for me. I think I'll watch yours and then decide.

I think I will just solartex the whole wing rather than glass/ solartex as you are doing. I really have learned a lot so far doing this model, but don't want to push my luck.

Cheers,

Charles.

21/12/2014 20:30:49

dscn2203.jpgManaged to get an opening cowling fitted. Danny's locking system works superbly and is so neat when it's closed.

I'm just going to use small wheel collets to lock the springs rather than trying to solder ( the collets in the pic are too big, but I didn't have anything smaller).

My gap at the centre is a bit wider than I would have liked, I took a bit too much off when rounding the edges!

Got to do the bottom fixings now.

dscn2206.jpg

19/12/2014 23:32:54

Yes please to a glassing workshop. Never used it before but this seems an ideal opportunity.

I'm not too sure about trying a sliding canopy as well, may be pushing my luck! then again, I've never been totally happy with the way fixed canopies have looked either.

Charles.

17/12/2014 19:13:12

Wow! that's impressive.

17/12/2014 16:52:08

No need to worry Danny! As I've said, I'm new to this scale lark, so am really grateful for a lead.

I think the cells will fit, but haven't bought the 4S pack yet. I might make a mock up to check the fit.

Cheers,

Charles

17/12/2014 16:23:12

Cut the cowling, and am waiting for the hinges to arrive.

Need to get some small screws.

I decided to cut off the motor mount and shorten the front box by 1/4" to get the cowling to reach. Seems to work ok.

Thanks to Danny again for the creative ideas smiley

cowl 3.jpg

17/12/2014 16:17:46

Cheers Danny,

I found these which look similar. They call them panel screws (bottom of the page)

**LINK**

Charles.

17/12/2014 15:42:54

Hi Danny,

What size screws did you use for the cowl. I assume they were countersunk self tappers.

I'm going to have to order some.

Cheers,

Charles.

15/12/2014 17:26:09

Hi Danny,

Looking excellent.smiley

The cowling is the next piece for me to attack.

I notice the ply ring on the front. did you rebate it in any way to give a little clearance for the prop driver away from the front of the cowling?

Cheers,

Charles.

15/12/2014 17:18:58

fairing 3.jpgManaged some fairings. Hopefully won't look too bad after more sanding and a bit of filler.

Thinking ahead. I've never used glass finishing and am thinking of trying it on this model. How smooth does the surface need finishing? I'm thinking particularly of places like these fairings made of jointed wood.

fairing 1.jpg

Thread: Chips with everything
14/12/2014 22:53:02

The same happened to me. The first two I built I threw away thinking they were twisted. I then sanded the L.E of the ribs to the same angle and got straight ailerons. Since the plan has no mention of washout I assumed it was a drawing error!

Cheers,

Charles.

Thread: MFs Chipmunk
12/12/2014 10:57:09

Looking good.

Charles.

12/12/2014 10:51:24

Thanks for the heads up Eamonn, just been to Lidl and got some stablit express. £1.99 for 30g, bargain.

Cheers,

Charles.

10/12/2014 18:36:33

Thanks Danny, balsa it is then. I've got a 1/2 in diameter permagrit tool and somewhere I think I have a sheet which can be wrapped around tubing of other diameters.

John, I have seen the pics thanks, it's my lack of creative / artistic talent, being a mere mathematician.

Cheers,

Charles.

10/12/2014 17:35:11

I've now got a fuselage.

I need advice on the front fairings. balsa, foam or something else? I've never used foam except on foam cored wings years ago. I can't picture what the front end should look like.

Any help much appreciated as always.

dscn2195.jpg

09/12/2014 23:04:54

Looking amazing. I too have never done rib tapes, so looking forward to some lessons from the master.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!