By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Charles Galloway

Here is a list of all the postings Charles Galloway has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chipmunk found in Wigan
21/10/2014 17:12:58

The other local ones I've tried can only scan up to A3.

I've traced it now and laid out the other wing panel. Seems to be ok, but what a pain of a wing to build!

21/10/2014 11:31:43

Just had a quote from a local print shop to scan the wing, flip it and print it. £55.80 !!!

I think I'll find a suitable window and a pencil.

Thread: Danny's "poor mans Spitty"
18/10/2014 15:26:22

I've cut my B2's from the plan as shown and it looks like giving 60mm under R18, which by my calcs appears to give the correct dihedral at the tip.

Thanks to Danny for the tip for cutting the angle on B3, it worked spot on.

Just got to do the ply rib doublers and then can start building the wing.

I'm going to build it as per the plan, since I am only wanting a stand off scale model so I'm not too worried about the step in the aileron/flap line.

17/10/2014 15:42:23

Thanks Danny, I just found it on your section. I do dozy very well!

17/10/2014 15:29:59

Nooo! my camera is set on deceive mode.

I've not made up a wire joiner yet. What are your thoughts on the positioning of it as shown on the plan. There doesn't seem like a lot of 'meat' for it to go into on the 1/4 sheet rib.

17/10/2014 14:38:33

Got the elevators built. Just a bit of work to do around the hinge points.

I now need to cut out the other parts for the wing.

Took the plan to the local print shop to try and get a reflected wing plan, but they can only scan up to A3!

dscn2136.jpg

15/10/2014 17:50:31

I've now made a tailplane and while I was waiting for a delivery of new wood, managed to cut a set of wing ribs from left overs. Starting on the elevators tomorrow.dscn2135.jpg

13/10/2014 22:40:48
Posted by Danny Fenton on 13/10/2014 14:09:28:

That's not a nice sanding task there good luck Charles, I am sure you will get there

When assembling the wing watch out for Rib 2 leading edge I am not convinced it is the right shape at the front. When I lay a straight edge along the top that one stands proud. Might be my shoddy building embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

Are the ply pieces in the wood pack made from birch ply or liteply?

13/10/2014 12:41:08

Hi Eamonn,

I assume that the B3's in the pack are two layers of 1/8 then. I'm cutting my own parts so will use 1/4 ply.

Thanks Danny for the advice.

13/10/2014 11:28:50

Have you any tips for cutting the tapers on the ends of B3 so as to get a nice flat surface?

Maybe the laser cut parts come ready tapered.

I'm still working on the tailplane/elevators but looking ahead.

11/10/2014 21:28:54

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I have been modelling for a long time, but have never managed to complete a decent scale model. I've tried a few Brian Taylor designs but never got there mainly through not being able to get the retracts sorted.

I'm hoping that with enough hints from you all with scale model experience I can complete this one.

10/10/2014 23:14:28

It's not awful, but the gap is a bit inconsistent, so I might try again, but sods law says it will be worse!

10/10/2014 19:49:51

I've now made a fin, which I'm happy with and a rudder which I'm not quite so happy with and so I may make another.

I'm going to start on the tailplane and elevators next

Danny's method for shrouds is just genius and is definitely tip of the week.

Hey Danny, what about a tip of the month at the end of your column?

dscn2132.jpg

09/10/2014 15:17:44

Slec hinges have arrived, great service from them.

I'm sure I've read that the wider hinges are for the rudder, but they seem wider than on the plan. Just want to check before using them in the wrong place.

08/10/2014 20:22:49

Just received my plans and part today, and waiting for the hinges from SLEC.

I've decided to cut the parts out myself. I'll decide later whether that's a good move or not.

Just started on the rudder. Really useful having you experts to follow.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Thread: Chips with everything
02/10/2014 22:37:43

I bought one of the Flair ones a little while ago and was surprised when the joint gave way before fitting it, even more surprised when the solder melted with just a soldering iron! I presumed they were silver soldered.

02/10/2014 22:35:40

I bought some silver solder from Mick Reeves. It's very fine and really easy to use with a small blowtorch. There's a section on his website showing it being used to solder forkends (Nothing to do with the two Ronnies).

02/10/2014 17:13:44

Hi Danny,

That's what I've tried to do, but always seem to get glue running all over the place with cyano. I'm probably just being clumsy!!

Thanks for the info though. It seems a good opportunity to find out how different modellers do things. Really useful.

02/10/2014 15:09:56

Hi Danny,

What glue do you use for jointing the sheets edge to edge. I've tried cyano and titebond (separately) and can't decide which is best. I never seem to get a really good result however I try.

Thread: Chip Shop
01/10/2014 19:26:57

Late arrival. Just ordered the plans and parts. Looking forward to it.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!