By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David P Williams

Here is a list of all the postings David P Williams has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
13/11/2019 08:14:08

Excellent Steve. I'm plodding along with the Provost, but various parts of the family are creating dramas that are keeping me away from the workshop.

Thread: Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.
12/11/2019 10:41:32

Hi Steve,

I can't remember how I set the tank height initially. I think I set it as low as I easily could, but knew it was slightly high in relation to the Laser carb. First few flights, the engine ran fine on the ground, and for the first few circuits, then it would die back to idle and not throttle up.

After lots of headscratching and communication with Jon at Laser, I carried out some surgery to the front and lowerd the tank as much as I could - about a further 20mm from memory. The engine runs perfectly now and I think the centre line of the tank is pretty much level with the carb spraybar.

I used the top of the landing gear, fitted as plan, but cut off to stubs, with home-brewed oleos clamped to them. They seem to hold up OK, but it flies so nicely down to almost walking speed with flaps that it's easy to do greaser landings (almost) every time.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
05/11/2019 16:24:39

From the CAA's document "The Drone and Model Aircraft Code"

Aircraft covered by this Code:

• Drones
  • Model aeroplanes
  • Model gliders
  • Model helicopters

....so I don't need to bother about my autogyros then wink

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
05/11/2019 16:17:19

9 fixed wing, 3 helicopters and 2 autogyros, mostly glow powered

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
01/11/2019 12:10:20

There's an ad on the BMFA classifieds where someone's taking a £750 hit selling his new unbuilt jet kit because he doesn't want to pay £9 a year.

Madness.

Thread: SLEC Chipmunk build blog
30/10/2019 13:55:30

Thanks Tim - hope you have as much fun with your Chipmunk as I have with mine.

30/10/2019 10:42:52

Yes but it's worth it for the smug feeling when all around are congratulating you on the finish smile

My SLEC Chipmunk, one of the first kits they made after they took over the Apache Aviation business. Laser 150 powered - perfect.

img_20170701_155712.jpg

img_20170701_155836.jpg

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
30/10/2019 10:35:37

That's what I was getting at Cliff.

Geoff - it doesn't make any difference whether the wind is in front of or behind the aircraft. What you are seeing is the difference in groundspeed. If the aircraft is flying at 40mph through the air (airspeed) and the wind is 20mph, then to you on the ground it will appear to be flying at 20mph upwind and 60mph downwind. It's speed relative to the block of air around it is always 40mph though, so the air pressure on the ailerons is the same assuming the airspeed is kept the same.

29/10/2019 17:05:23

Geoff - not sure what you mean by 'ailerons blowing back', and what difference would it make whether it was flying downwind or upwind?

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
28/10/2019 13:03:50

So is the CoG not where the plan says Steve? Just building mine at the moment.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
25/10/2019 09:09:44

Any of you Stampe afficionados fancy a project?

Thread: How far do you travel to fly at your club?
20/10/2019 19:06:24

I live in the middle of a black hole for clubs - at least an hour's drive in any direction. My main club is 38 miles and just on an hour, depending on tractors and country buses, and my second club is an hour and 15, 44 miles.

It's a pain, but just about worth it to live in a very quiet, very low crime, very community minded, beautiful part of an AONB.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
08/10/2019 23:27:26

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhh brain hurts now trying to follow all this. Just want to fly my toy planes!

Thread: BMFA site
07/10/2019 09:55:21

I've been getting that too since yesterday

Thread: Flair Models - a question
24/09/2019 13:34:15

The chap in Staffordshire is a dealer, although he masquerades as a keen modeller. He places wanted ads for specific kits or types of kit, when you contact him with one to sell he tells you he's always wanted one of these and been searching for a while, you (I) gullibly think you're selling to a fellow modeller and agree a reasonable price, then see the kit re-advertised a couple of weeks later for double the price.

Thread: Collapse of Thomas Cook
23/09/2019 13:58:16

I worked for TC for around 20 years, taking a redundancy/early retirement package in 2001. My wife and I live on TC pensions (although I have the State pension too now), so I'm a little concerned at the moment. The pension fund is well funded, and the independant trustees should protect pensions in payment, but it's all still a bit worrying.

I used to work for the Financial Services part of the company, primarily Travellers Cheques (remember them?) which was sold to Travelex around the turn of the century. The travel part of the company hardly ever made money, it was always bailed out by the income from the Travellers Cheque float - the money held from the sale of the cheques until it had to be paid out when they were cashed. As lots of cheques never got cashed, or got kept for the next holiday, and Cooks had been selling them for a very long time, this float was many millions and generated a large amount of steady income in interest. Lots of money was also made from buying and selling foreign exchange. All this was lost when this part of the company was sold.

I was transferred to the travel division and worked on the online booking website. The travel dinosaurs thought I couldn't be any use as I didn't have 20 years experience in travel. They were still focused on having the biggest high street shop chain; grudgingly accepted that they needed a call centre for phone bookings, but only tolerated Thomascook.com because the dotcom boom was still underway and they thought they could float it with an IPO and make squillions - the idiots were probably already ordering their Ferraris.

I was a pretty senior manager (in the top 40 worldwide), but an IT techie, so how could I possibly know how to run a travel company. We eventually ran out of patience with each other and I was happy to walk away with a decent deal.

It's been really sad to see them continuing with this 1980's attitude to how a travel company should operate and it's all finally caught up with them. The real culprits are not the current management, but the late 90's/early 2000's lot (I know who you are you idiots!)

Thread: Broken servo arm screw
28/08/2019 14:39:53

I have Tamiya branded JIS drivers sourced from one of the plastic kit suppliers - very useful.

Thread: What's flying over your house
27/08/2019 18:24:58

So I was just relaxing in my armchair, perusing the latest RCME mag just delivered, and reading about the EFlite V22 Osprey when an unusaul aircraft sound outside made me look up to see a full size Osprey reefing round the corner of the valley and flying straight over the house at a couple of hundred feet.

Yesterday it was an A400M at the same height or possibly lower heading the other way. It's usually Hawks from Valley or Hercules or Chinooks (at treetop height). Our valley is one of the routes out to the tactical manoevering area in mid-Wales and the Mach Loop. They use different valleys in rotation it seems, and it's obviously our turn this week. Even if I have a camera or phone to hand I'm never quick enough as by the time your hear them they're overhead. Great fun though.

Thread: Extra Hot Chilli
05/08/2019 12:15:38

My Dual Ace 70" span is pretty quick on an old pair of 52 four strokes - I think your two 90s will be ballistic laugh

Thread: Latest Lemon DSMP/X 7 check Plus Stabiliser
31/07/2019 13:44:56

Thanks all.

It climbs, quite a lot, with flap. I'm not sure whether the nose rises much or whether it just goes up like a lift. I only intend to use the stabilising mode, not the full self levelling, it's just to help out when it's gusty like Shaun's Slowpoke.

I had read the quick guide, and appreciate that it states that flaperons, aileron differential and aileron to rudder act normally. I was just after confirmation that flap to elevator mix would be OK too. J6 doesn't need to be on as the ailerons are on a Y lead on channel 2 and channel 6 (Aux1) is flaps. Channel 5 is currently ESC reverse (it has a reverse for use when on floats, but I don't need that at the moment) so that need to be reconfigured to be norm/stabilise/self level selection. The reverse could go on channel 7 (Aux2) if I need it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us