By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David P Williams

Here is a list of all the postings David P Williams has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Broken servo arm screw
28/08/2019 14:39:53

I have Tamiya branded JIS drivers sourced from one of the plastic kit suppliers - very useful.

Thread: What's flying over your house
27/08/2019 18:24:58

So I was just relaxing in my armchair, perusing the latest RCME mag just delivered, and reading about the EFlite V22 Osprey when an unusaul aircraft sound outside made me look up to see a full size Osprey reefing round the corner of the valley and flying straight over the house at a couple of hundred feet.

Yesterday it was an A400M at the same height or possibly lower heading the other way. It's usually Hawks from Valley or Hercules or Chinooks (at treetop height). Our valley is one of the routes out to the tactical manoevering area in mid-Wales and the Mach Loop. They use different valleys in rotation it seems, and it's obviously our turn this week. Even if I have a camera or phone to hand I'm never quick enough as by the time your hear them they're overhead. Great fun though.

Thread: Extra Hot Chilli
05/08/2019 12:15:38

My Dual Ace 70" span is pretty quick on an old pair of 52 four strokes - I think your two 90s will be ballistic laugh

Thread: Latest Lemon DSMP/X 7 check Plus Stabiliser
31/07/2019 13:44:56

Thanks all.

It climbs, quite a lot, with flap. I'm not sure whether the nose rises much or whether it just goes up like a lift. I only intend to use the stabilising mode, not the full self levelling, it's just to help out when it's gusty like Shaun's Slowpoke.

I had read the quick guide, and appreciate that it states that flaperons, aileron differential and aileron to rudder act normally. I was just after confirmation that flap to elevator mix would be OK too. J6 doesn't need to be on as the ailerons are on a Y lead on channel 2 and channel 6 (Aux1) is flaps. Channel 5 is currently ESC reverse (it has a reverse for use when on floats, but I don't need that at the moment) so that need to be reconfigured to be norm/stabilise/self level selection. The reverse could go on channel 7 (Aux2) if I need it.

31/07/2019 12:12:11

Appreciate that Simon, it's just that I've never used one of these stabiliser things before and I'm not sure if or how any mixes affect them. I think they won't - I guess I'll just try it and see.

31/07/2019 10:37:50

I have one of these that I am going to fit in a HK/Durafly Tundra to help when it's breezy. I have a flap/ down elevator mix on the Tundra at the moment as it balloons like mad on lowering flap. Do I leave this mix on with the stabiliser or will the stabiliser sort it out? The attitude of the Tundra doesn't really change on flap deployment, it just rises rapidly, so as the stabiliser doesn't have any kind of height hold I guess it won't do anything. Have I just answered my own question?

Thread: Horizon Hobby
26/07/2019 17:56:30

Cymaz - did you talk to Morris at Morris Mini Motors? He now sells the revised UMS versions but I'm pretty sure he has quite a few Evolution bits and pieces knocking around. May be worth a try next time.

Thread: Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.
22/07/2019 17:55:24

John - a lot of that thread is quite old, and refers to the old Apache Aviation kit. SLEC did quite a bit of re-design so some of the problems reported have been sorted out on the new kits

22/07/2019 09:32:34

Hi ASH - I think it has Hitec HS325HB in the wings and 5485HB on elevator and rudder. It's a Laser 150 up front - lovely. Only problem was getting the tank height right.

Thread: CB Mass Build
21/07/2019 19:33:22

Crikey Chris - I thought I over-engineered things but that looks seriously robust!

Thread: Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.
21/07/2019 18:50:29

Thanks John. I had one of the first kits from SLEC so had a few teething problems, but I'm sure you'll be OK. My plan was stretched by nearly 20mm compared to the cut parts - just go with the cut parts and you'll be fine. It flies really nicely, even though mine is heavy because of all the detail I added it still has a very soft stall and lands at walking speed with full flaps. No dramas.

21/07/2019 15:45:44

Been fine for me, although I was also a bit sceptical initially. It's not a model to be thrown around in high G manoevres anyway - lazy graceful aeros like the real thing.

Thread: Moon landing
20/07/2019 14:24:25

I was up at 3am watching it live (I was 18) and I seem to remember that the picture of the ladder waiting for Neil Armstrong to descend was initially upside down, and I couldn't work out what I was looking at. Is that my memory, or was it our flaky telly, or was that how it happened?

Clever of the conspirators to build that element in just to make it seem more realistic !

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
20/07/2019 12:28:05

I was also all set for the JP with tip tanks, but now the Warthog! Aaarrgghh too many choices, too little time....

Thread: Sabre F86
10/07/2019 10:10:34

Thanks for the Spanhoe film Mark - I was there too. It brought back many happy memories. Although a small show, one of the best as the aircraft display line was really close to the crowd line, not like now. I remember the Sabre and the P51 as being the best displays.

I was working at Spanhoe at the time, for Carl at Windmill Aviation, restoring Chipmunks, Tiger Moths, Stearmans, Austers, etc. A lot of work before and after the show positioning the resident aircraft around the airfield. I was also a member of the Corby and District Model Flying Club who had a patch on the other side of the airfield. We were going to have a model flying display as part of the show (I built a Topflite DC3 kit as a C47 as based at Spanhoe in the war specially for the show) but the layout and full size content prevented that, so we just had a static display.

Happy happy days.......

img_0478.jpg

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
02/07/2019 12:37:28

Hi ASH - shouldn't hijack this thread any further really, but the paint was enamel, mixed to the correct RAL numbers by Paragon Paints. They sell it for painting machine tools etc., so it's fairly resistant but glossy. I sprayed the whole thing when finished with Aerokote fuel proofer from Deluxe, with their matting agent added to give a satin finish.

Pilot was one of those latex jobbies, a sport pilot painted to look military with an Action Man helmet from Ebay. PM me if you want any more info.

02/07/2019 11:57:05

Tim - I built the SLEC/Apache Chipmunk and used it for a testbed to learn new techniques like fibreglass covering (with PolyC), panels and rivets, rib tapes and stitching, paint spraying, paint masks, home made decals, etc. It's sport scale rather than true scale in outline so doesn't really warrant that level of detail, but I learnt a lot for future more scale projects.

I bought some HK oleos for it but ended up making my own to a more scale outline using the HK springs (I had a new lathe to play with). It came out a bit porky because of the detail, but flies really nicely, like a big low wing trainer (Laser 150 in mine). You will enjoy the build and the flying, on mine the plan was larger than the laser cut parts but just go with the parts and all will be well.

img_20170701_155658.jpg

img_20170701_155712.jpg

img_20170701_160101.jpg

Thread: Servos moving on power up?
29/06/2019 10:35:09

I found with my Spektrum gear that if I made changes to the setup on the TX after the initial bind, then I would get the servos twitching on powerup. Rebinding when the setup is complete stopped this happening. Maybe try a re-bind and see what happens?

Thread: ASP etc gone
24/06/2019 16:36:48

Registration, online competency tests, i/c becoming more difficult, club maybe losing its site - I think it might finally be time to sell up and and build a garden railway and steam engines. My mojo has its hat and coat on and is heading out the door......

Thread: Weston Park Worth the Risk of Showers?
13/06/2019 20:20:37

Thanks Rich - that looks OK surprise

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us