By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David P Williams

Here is a list of all the postings David P Williams has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.
22/07/2019 09:32:34

Hi ASH - I think it has Hitec HS325HB in the wings and 5485HB on elevator and rudder. It's a Laser 150 up front - lovely. Only problem was getting the tank height right.

Thread: CB Mass Build
21/07/2019 19:33:22

Crikey Chris - I thought I over-engineered things but that looks seriously robust!

Thread: Slec/Apache Chipmunk kit advice.
21/07/2019 18:50:29

Thanks John. I had one of the first kits from SLEC so had a few teething problems, but I'm sure you'll be OK. My plan was stretched by nearly 20mm compared to the cut parts - just go with the cut parts and you'll be fine. It flies really nicely, even though mine is heavy because of all the detail I added it still has a very soft stall and lands at walking speed with full flaps. No dramas.

21/07/2019 15:45:44

Been fine for me, although I was also a bit sceptical initially. It's not a model to be thrown around in high G manoevres anyway - lazy graceful aeros like the real thing.

Thread: Moon landing
20/07/2019 14:24:25

I was up at 3am watching it live (I was 18) and I seem to remember that the picture of the ladder waiting for Neil Armstrong to descend was initially upside down, and I couldn't work out what I was looking at. Is that my memory, or was it our flaky telly, or was that how it happened?

Clever of the conspirators to build that element in just to make it seem more realistic !

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
20/07/2019 12:28:05

I was also all set for the JP with tip tanks, but now the Warthog! Aaarrgghh too many choices, too little time....

Thread: Sabre F86
10/07/2019 10:10:34

Thanks for the Spanhoe film Mark - I was there too. It brought back many happy memories. Although a small show, one of the best as the aircraft display line was really close to the crowd line, not like now. I remember the Sabre and the P51 as being the best displays.

I was working at Spanhoe at the time, for Carl at Windmill Aviation, restoring Chipmunks, Tiger Moths, Stearmans, Austers, etc. A lot of work before and after the show positioning the resident aircraft around the airfield. I was also a member of the Corby and District Model Flying Club who had a patch on the other side of the airfield. We were going to have a model flying display as part of the show (I built a Topflite DC3 kit as a C47 as based at Spanhoe in the war specially for the show) but the layout and full size content prevented that, so we just had a static display.

Happy happy days.......

img_0478.jpg

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
02/07/2019 12:37:28

Hi ASH - shouldn't hijack this thread any further really, but the paint was enamel, mixed to the correct RAL numbers by Paragon Paints. They sell it for painting machine tools etc., so it's fairly resistant but glossy. I sprayed the whole thing when finished with Aerokote fuel proofer from Deluxe, with their matting agent added to give a satin finish.

Pilot was one of those latex jobbies, a sport pilot painted to look military with an Action Man helmet from Ebay. PM me if you want any more info.

02/07/2019 11:57:05

Tim - I built the SLEC/Apache Chipmunk and used it for a testbed to learn new techniques like fibreglass covering (with PolyC), panels and rivets, rib tapes and stitching, paint spraying, paint masks, home made decals, etc. It's sport scale rather than true scale in outline so doesn't really warrant that level of detail, but I learnt a lot for future more scale projects.

I bought some HK oleos for it but ended up making my own to a more scale outline using the HK springs (I had a new lathe to play with). It came out a bit porky because of the detail, but flies really nicely, like a big low wing trainer (Laser 150 in mine). You will enjoy the build and the flying, on mine the plan was larger than the laser cut parts but just go with the parts and all will be well.

img_20170701_155658.jpg

img_20170701_155712.jpg

img_20170701_160101.jpg

Thread: Servos moving on power up?
29/06/2019 10:35:09

I found with my Spektrum gear that if I made changes to the setup on the TX after the initial bind, then I would get the servos twitching on powerup. Rebinding when the setup is complete stopped this happening. Maybe try a re-bind and see what happens?

Thread: ASP etc gone
24/06/2019 16:36:48

Registration, online competency tests, i/c becoming more difficult, club maybe losing its site - I think it might finally be time to sell up and and build a garden railway and steam engines. My mojo has its hat and coat on and is heading out the door......

Thread: Weston Park Worth the Risk of Showers?
13/06/2019 20:20:37

Thanks Rich - that looks OK surprise

13/06/2019 19:29:03

Anyone know what state the ground is in? I live in the Shropshire area and we've had a LOT of rain. The parking is usually on the grass - don't want to be up to my axles in mud.

Thread: VQ Models
16/05/2019 13:12:38

I have the smaller of the two Douglas Dauntlesses that they do, bought in a Hobbyking sale, powered by an SC70fs. Flies fine. The sticky-backed plastic covering is wierd and the flap/dive brake linkage arrangement is useless. General construction OK apart from the usual ARTF weak points especially undercarriage mounts. The pre-fitted electric retracts rip out or bend on even the greasiest of my landings.

Thread: June mag
09/05/2019 20:00:23

Got mine a few days ago David

Edited By David P Williams on 09/05/2019 20:00:33

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
06/05/2019 18:27:50

Finally built a Panther from the free plan, SC52FS power. Used the Sarik cut parts but wish I'd saved the money as I could probably have done it from my scrapbox. The covering is all leftover bits of HK film, trying to make something that I won't lose the orientation of. Just need weather, time, inclination and bicycle clips now.

img_9009.jpg

img_9011.jpg

Thread: The Panther photo/video thread
06/05/2019 18:23:22

A long way behind everyone else, but I've finally completed my Panther, SC52FS powered. I always have trouble with orientation with Gyros (and helis too) so I raided my leftover bts of covering box to try to make something that will stand out.

img_9009.jpg

img_9011.jpg

Thread: Tell us about your most embarrassing stories from the field...
06/05/2019 11:10:21

My story also took place at Forton, like David's above. I had a couple of flights with my model, concentrating on practising spins, which were slowly getting better. I was preparing it for my next flight when another member (not David!) came over to chat and ask questions about something. As I was chatting to him I was attaching the glowstick (clipped on underneath on the inverted engine) and starting the engine. Finished the conversation as I taxied out.

I took off, climbed straight up, throttled back and entered a spin. Went to my normal recovery and nothing happened. got a bit panicked and froze as it spiralled into the ground. When I got there the glowstick was of course still hanging off the engine. Don't let other people interrupt your routine!

p.s. I have probably, like David, told this story somewhere elso on here before smiley

06/05/2019 11:02:57

Hi David - I think the old age is creeping up on you! You gave us the same stories on page 1 of this thread cheeky

Thread: Dremel 3000 repair
03/05/2019 14:55:35

Yep - this one available at LIDL from Thursday 9th

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us