By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David P Williams

Here is a list of all the postings David P Williams has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VQ Models
16/05/2019 13:12:38

I have the smaller of the two Douglas Dauntlesses that they do, bought in a Hobbyking sale, powered by an SC70fs. Flies fine. The sticky-backed plastic covering is wierd and the flap/dive brake linkage arrangement is useless. General construction OK apart from the usual ARTF weak points especially undercarriage mounts. The pre-fitted electric retracts rip out or bend on even the greasiest of my landings.

Thread: June mag
09/05/2019 20:00:23

Got mine a few days ago David

Edited By David P Williams on 09/05/2019 20:00:33

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
06/05/2019 18:27:50

Finally built a Panther from the free plan, SC52FS power. Used the Sarik cut parts but wish I'd saved the money as I could probably have done it from my scrapbox. The covering is all leftover bits of HK film, trying to make something that I won't lose the orientation of. Just need weather, time, inclination and bicycle clips now.

img_9009.jpg

img_9011.jpg

Thread: The Panther photo/video thread
06/05/2019 18:23:22

A long way behind everyone else, but I've finally completed my Panther, SC52FS powered. I always have trouble with orientation with Gyros (and helis too) so I raided my leftover bts of covering box to try to make something that will stand out.

img_9009.jpg

img_9011.jpg

Thread: Tell us about your most embarrassing stories from the field...
06/05/2019 11:10:21

My story also took place at Forton, like David's above. I had a couple of flights with my model, concentrating on practising spins, which were slowly getting better. I was preparing it for my next flight when another member (not David!) came over to chat and ask questions about something. As I was chatting to him I was attaching the glowstick (clipped on underneath on the inverted engine) and starting the engine. Finished the conversation as I taxied out.

I took off, climbed straight up, throttled back and entered a spin. Went to my normal recovery and nothing happened. got a bit panicked and froze as it spiralled into the ground. When I got there the glowstick was of course still hanging off the engine. Don't let other people interrupt your routine!

p.s. I have probably, like David, told this story somewhere elso on here before smiley

06/05/2019 11:02:57

Hi David - I think the old age is creeping up on you! You gave us the same stories on page 1 of this thread cheeky

Thread: Dremel 3000 repair
03/05/2019 14:55:35

Yep - this one available at LIDL from Thursday 9th

Thread: SFM Piper cub.40 kit 67 ins wing span.
20/04/2019 15:52:49

I don't think Martin meant that this only happens with i/c engines. I think he meant 'conventional prop rotation direction', i.e. anti-clockwise viewed from the front. If the prop rotated the other way the aircraft would swing to the right. It doesn't matter what is driving the prop - i/c, electric, rubber, etc.

Thread: 1/12 Messerschmitt Bf 109
19/04/2019 13:33:04

Graham - Balsa Cabin have those pins here

Thread: Not my best ever flight test - or repairing foam board models!
19/04/2019 11:32:38

I'm useless with a left hand overarm throw also, but an underarm lob with my left hand is easier and works every time for me.

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
16/04/2019 13:12:53

Luckily I have a small stash of HK heads smiley. Not sure when this will get built - finishing the Panther now, Have the DAG60 plans from Malcolm as well, plus a couple of fixed wing projects jostling for bench time too, as well as helis - so little time nd so much to do!

14/04/2019 22:13:57

Got them already smiley.

Excellent quality and service from Malcolm as always.

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
14/04/2019 22:10:47

Thanks Rich. The blades are covered already, and the chordwise CofGs are all very slightly different, so I will mark and drill them individually.

Thanks for your help,

13/04/2019 14:45:57

I've almost finished building my Panther, just finishing the blades. The instructions from the mag say to drill the mounting holes ON the chordwise CofG line, whereas the instructions for the Atom I built a while back, and those for the Revolver in the latest mag, say to drill the holes 1mm behind the CofG line. Is this correct? Does it make much difference?

Thanks, David

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/04/2019 16:45:55

Excellent David - just love Chippies...

Thread: matt fuelproofer
09/04/2019 16:43:12

Yes, thinned with cellulose thinners - it says small amounts <10%. I sprayed my Chipmunk with this, using the matting agent mixed to satin, over enamel, homemade waterslide decals and dry transfers and it's been fine. Not using high nitro stuff though - just Lasermix 5.

img_20170701_155836.jpg

09/04/2019 14:52:02

Dougie - see my earlier post - Aerokote works fine, it's from Deluxe Materials and available direct from them, or most model shops and online stores sell it. £10.25 plus £5.75 for the matting agent.

09/04/2019 08:47:15

For firewalls and engine/tank bay I use Zap Finishing Resin - thin enough to brush on OK.

08/04/2019 18:31:17

I've used this - Aerokote with success. It's gloss, but you add this Matting Agent in varying amounts to get satin or full matt.

Thread: A sticky glassing problem!
31/03/2019 12:12:34

Don - PolyC isn't the pond sealer stuff as far as I know. It seems the same as Deluxe Materials EZE Coat, like a clear polyurethane varnish with added stickiness (PVA?). I've used it for ages for glass coating sheeted airframes and it works really well and as Percy says is easier, odourless and cleans up with water. It seems to be fuel resistant rather than fuel proof as claimed but my glassed surfaces are always painted and fuel proofed anyway.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us