By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David P Williams

Here is a list of all the postings David P Williams has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/04/2019 16:45:55

Excellent David - just love Chippies...

Thread: matt fuelproofer
09/04/2019 16:43:12

Yes, thinned with cellulose thinners - it says small amounts <10%. I sprayed my Chipmunk with this, using the matting agent mixed to satin, over enamel, homemade waterslide decals and dry transfers and it's been fine. Not using high nitro stuff though - just Lasermix 5.

img_20170701_155836.jpg

09/04/2019 14:52:02

Dougie - see my earlier post - Aerokote works fine, it's from Deluxe Materials and available direct from them, or most model shops and online stores sell it. £10.25 plus £5.75 for the matting agent.

09/04/2019 08:47:15

For firewalls and engine/tank bay I use Zap Finishing Resin - thin enough to brush on OK.

08/04/2019 18:31:17

I've used this - Aerokote with success. It's gloss, but you add this Matting Agent in varying amounts to get satin or full matt.

Thread: A sticky glassing problem!
31/03/2019 12:12:34

Don - PolyC isn't the pond sealer stuff as far as I know. It seems the same as Deluxe Materials EZE Coat, like a clear polyurethane varnish with added stickiness (PVA?). I've used it for ages for glass coating sheeted airframes and it works really well and as Percy says is easier, odourless and cleans up with water. It seems to be fuel resistant rather than fuel proof as claimed but my glassed surfaces are always painted and fuel proofed anyway.

Thread: Linkage rod to horn connection
27/03/2019 17:34:47

In my experience the standard rods threaded 2mm at one end are usually only 1.6mm diameter. The thread is rolled not cut which raises it to 2mm, but it is impossible to cut a 2mm thread on the other end.

Thread: First petrol plane dl 50 field equipment
09/03/2019 16:49:30

Nice idea Cymaz but the list of rules that must be followed so as not to upset the landowner is long, so I doubt that would be allowed.

09/03/2019 15:13:06

Yes but I'm an I/C chap, I don't recharge batteries on site. I think I will have to have a stake in the grass at the back of the tarmac and a looong strap to the starting point but I'm sure someone will trip over it. Or maybe I can somehow secure to my flightbox which may be heavy enough.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across the same problem.

09/03/2019 12:58:37

I've just joined a second club, where the flying is off tarmac and the pits area is tarmac too. My main club is all on grass so I use the Y spike usually, with a larger, more robust version with bigger spike for larger models.

What do you suggest I use to restrain models on the hard surface? I've seen other members there just start their models on a flat table holding with one hand - scary.

Thread: Seagull Mosquito weight
07/03/2019 20:00:37

Full size Chipmunk is 15deg mid and 30deg full flap, so more lift than drag?

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
06/03/2019 19:32:13

Yes but a couple of minutes with a larger drill could provide something useable for those with no lathe.

06/03/2019 18:36:21
Posted by Danny Fenton on 06/03/2019 14:04:39:

Chris Bott spotted these the other day and might be worth a look.

Anybody know how to cut splines on the inside of alloy tube?

Cheers

Danny

Danny - would these from the same website be any use?

Thread: JR resurrection?
05/03/2019 09:50:33
Posted by Peter Christy on 04/03/2019 20:46:52:

Back in 2012 I traveled to Ballenstedt in the old East Germany for the European Helicopter Champs. I went in this:

A nice Focke Wulf 149 in the background Peter. When I worked at Spanhoe airfield the boss had one of those as his personal aircraft, still in Luftwaffe olive green. Had several trips in it - great aircraft. Always fun hearing the reaction of ATC when calling "Focke Wulf 149 inbound........"

Thread: Getting in a flap
17/02/2019 14:33:09

Steve - I think the default channel assignment for a two aileron two flap wing is RAil channel 2 (Ail), LAil channel 6 (Aux1), Lflap channel 5 (Gear) and RFlap channel 7 (Aux2).

Thread: Mini/micro lathe
15/02/2019 08:47:32

Another website to keep an eye on is homeworkshop, a sort of BMFA Classifieds for engineering stuff. There's a Seig C3 on there at the moment, but might be a bit big for what you're after.

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
14/02/2019 20:12:05

Dave - Balsa Cabin have them here

Thread: Wing walkways
31/01/2019 14:03:20

The full sized Chipmunk I was modelling had ribbed thin rubber sheet for walkways. I used thin Plasicard and scribed lines into it with the back of a broken scalpel blade, sprayed matt black. I carved a scale 'boot' from foam and used it to stamp muddy footprints along the walkway.

img_20170701_160101.jpg

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
26/01/2019 10:26:43

Yes Richard, what you're describing is Sundeala. It's good, but expensive. I used to use it but now use plasterboard like the other chaps - just as good and waaay cheaper. Fixed the old Sundeala on the walls of my wife's artist's studio so she can pin up her masterpieces.

Thread: Panther autogyro head kit
25/01/2019 16:24:51

Allan - I'm slowly building a Panther, and bought the Sarik laser cut parts (some parts not supplied) and the additional wood kit which is a waste of money - no material for blades, but lots of 3mm balsa, much more than needes. I downloaded the head kit drawing from here - the Genesis V2 head as Rich Harris calls it. Bought bearings and Bolts from Modelfixings, and silver steel and brass tube from Maccmodels and the fibreglass delta plate from Coolwind. Coolwind also have a gearbox with prop adaptor that you can use instead of making a head block. I have a lathe, so I made the stationery block from ally rather than laminated ply but it's fairly simple to make and all works fine.

img_8649.jpg

img_8650.jpg

Just need some smaller grubscrews for the retaining collar!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us