By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Olly P

Here is a list of all the postings Olly P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Brown Paper on sheet/laminated
14/08/2017 20:03:35
Posted by Stephen Jones on 14/08/2017 19:45:25:

Hi Olly,

everyone i talk to says you must seal the wood 1st . Humm maybe they slap it on which would get the wood wet and cause it to warp.

How ever i have used Poly C with great results on small delicate models and large models .

lbsscaled2.jpg

pauls trainer.jpg

So yes Poly C will do.

Steve

Cheers Steve,

Was this laminate or framework? was there much shrinkage?

14/08/2017 19:15:49

Hello All,

I'm after some advice - I am in the process of recovering my F-86 Sabre (separate thread on the go), and the courier supposedly delivered the parcel with sanding sealer and lightweight fibreglass cloth today 'left in shed.' The parcel is not there.

I currently have Wednesday and Friday booked off to try and get everything ready for the PSSA meeting this weekend (mostly the F-86 to be fair). Most of the local model shops are shut wednesday, or don't open until 11, which is a bit late as I'd hoped to have the Poly C onto coat 3 by then.

Sanding sealer I can get from B&Q, just round the corner.

I have seen that other people have used brown paper with some good effect, can this be used on sheeted fuselages or balsa laminated foam wings?

Will PolyC work on brown paper instead of PVA? just thinking about drying times...

Thread: Recovering the F-86 Sabre
14/08/2017 18:37:54

Right, ordered stuff on Saturday, delivery notification saying it would be delivered this morning. Note left - left in shed. Not there.

This was the sanding sealer and lightweight glass cloth for the model. Wednesday is now under threat, but I can't do Thursday off work as I need to be in...

Anyone know where i can collect Lightweight Fibreglass cloth (approx 3m^sq) near Stockport after 4:30pm tomorrow?

14/08/2017 11:33:13
Posted by Andy Meade on 14/08/2017 10:51:22:

Is this the silver / red / yellow scheme that it's being painted in now then?

Spanish F86?

Darn, that makes the running game dull

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events
14/08/2017 09:39:46

Back at work on the Monday I'm afraid, travel home Sunday PM/Evening.

Mental note - ensure plate/cutlery packed for BBQ.

14/08/2017 09:27:55

Forecast for the weekend makes Saturday the better day atm.....

Thread: Recovering the F-86 Sabre
14/08/2017 09:25:42

Well, holy thread resurrection Batman!

I managed to get 30 minutes in the shed over the weekend and make some space, and have a couple of days off to prep for the meet this weekend.

I have changed my mind on the paint scheme and will run a live update/guessing game as i get it done. The priority will be to get as much of the covering off as I can and then get the wings sealed ready for the 'fabric' and Poly C Layer.

The biggest problem is likely to be the fuselage as it appears to have been partially painted directly, so sanding will be the way forward, especially on the nose as I want lighter colours there.

If I can get the wings stripped and the first layer on then, weather dependant, I may use some of the decking area in the garden to let them dry while I prep the fuselage.

Other problems - the Canopy, when I trimmed it to replace the old damaged one, appears to be have been cut slightly undersize, and the cockpit is currently empty - I don't like this look but may have to live with it for this weekend. If I can't replace the canopy then fitting out the cockpit may hide the problem in the future, but time may prevent this for the weekend, so the canopy may be temporary attachement to allow fitting out in the future.

Thread: Parcel collect and drop off
12/08/2017 14:47:29
I am coming down from south Manchester next week to the Orme, but not in Blackburn before then. If you can get it this far happy to do the other leg.
Thread: Rules of thumb for cooling
10/08/2017 14:54:28
Posted by Brian Spearing on 10/08/2017 14:28:18:

Would a switch mode ESC produce less heat?

Yes.

I'd look at if you can mount the ESC so the cooling fins/heat sink sit in open air. one of my long term projects has a very high wattage requirement and I plan the ESC to sit with the fins under the fuse belly, protetected by the U/C.

Thread: what is the difference between a heavy landing and a crash
09/08/2017 16:24:56

Intent:

Heavy landing - i was trying to have a ground/Aircraft interface event, just not that fast/hard/forceful

Crash - oops.

Thread: PSSA Chat
09/08/2017 16:23:19

Ah, but belonging to whom

All will hopefully become clear next week - if i get it done!

09/08/2017 08:59:25

I might be retired before the TB-3 gets much further!

Right, order some glass cloth for the Sabre, and some extra paints and decals. red, silver, yellow.

Can anyone guess the new colour scheme yet?

Edited By Olly P on 09/08/2017 09:05:07

Edited By Olly P on 09/08/2017 09:05:18

09/08/2017 08:55:14

I wish Andy - I can bring the bits i've built, but they won't fly!

09/08/2017 08:47:48

Hello All,

not been around much as family and work priorities have been just that!

I'm planning to come to the meet next week, campervanning with parents nearby, so both days looks good. I've even got some time off to try and get the sabre flyable before the weekend....

Thread: Set up problems
08/08/2017 15:58:05

Well, the system worked perfectly, but the aircraft got bumped in transit so i aborted any 'proper' flights as the tail was twisted and the aircraft was unsafe to fly.

13/06/2017 12:35:15

The OSD is this one: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mini-osd-system-w-gps-module.html?___store=en_us

Looks like it can be flash updated if i solder things to it - i might look at this in the fullness of time but for now the key data is visible.

12/06/2017 18:52:14
Connected up, works perfectly except the osd being over the on screen status stuff from the cam, happy enough to though!
28/05/2017 22:09:10

Thanks Gordon, I'll order the appropriate connector....

28/05/2017 08:20:51

Hi all,

Long time since I've been on here! I have just got myself an FPV set up which is using my Action Cam (already owned).

I have an OSD with GPS, a VTx, and a VRx, going to a pair of the hobbyking V2 Pro goggles.

I have rigged the system without the camera as i need to get a different lead to connect up, and can't get any signal, either on the screen of the goggles or my TV.

I assume having the OSD will give sufficient signal for the screen to work?

Any ideas? Or anyone in the Manchester/Stockport area who FPV's will ing to help out? What i'd like to do is swap parts out to find the fault so i can send it back....

Thanks.

Edited By Olly P on 28/05/2017 08:21:08

Thread: Binders
29/06/2016 08:34:28

A very kind offer Kevin.

Are they magazine type binders or do you have to punch/damage the mag to hold it?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!