By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Olly P

Here is a list of all the postings Olly P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3D Printers.
17/09/2015 17:15:43

I have used industrial 3D printers for proto ping, and unfortunately never did print anything hobby wise.

If any of the 3D printer manufacturers want me to review the machine then please do send me one.... I am also happy to do a write up for the mag, but it may be some time before I have the time to do so!

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events
17/09/2015 09:28:56

A bungee might be handy for my sports model - it has a bungee hook fitted, but it will be a maiden for it/me, so don't know how well it'll work!

16/09/2015 21:50:47

I'll be there this weekend, but none of my PSS models will be flyable - I am going to bring a sports glider and and electric assisted glider. I am flexible for the evening bit, as I am staying with my parents in the campervan...

Thread: Recovering the F-86 Sabre
06/08/2015 11:10:30

Thanks leccyflyer, I will give that a go next time I get into the shed to do what I want to do - might be a little while as the major week of gardening is only a couple of weeks away!

Olly

Thread: Day trip to The Orme
01/08/2015 11:40:33

Mining museum is worth a visit for family, along with tramway down then they can hit Llandudno...

31/07/2015 16:54:00

Cheers Andy added to shopping list for tomorrows trip to DIY shop - wire wool.

31/07/2015 16:45:15

OK Wing as it was a little while ago:

20150731_155142.jpg

20150731_155159.jpg

The problem I am encountering is that the film is peeling away and leaving the colour behind it. This is even worse on the fuselage.

How do I get this off, do I need to?

Thread: 3D printing - a home production revolution?
31/07/2015 14:57:12

Give me a few months....

31/07/2015 14:46:03

Andy - thinking a bit bigger than that - maybe 1/6th scale Lancaster, the internal structure of the fuselage might be ideal to copy over and rework into the wings....

But as I am unlikely to have £200 spare for the foreseeable future then I'm going to concentrate on other projects for now....

31/07/2015 14:37:07

I am reasonable at CAD and have a reasonable 3D package, although I am looking to get devCAD/CAM at some point, if I can use a 3D printer to make the 4 1930's era Russian MG's for one model, along with custome pilots and other various bits, then its feels worthwhile to me.

I'd even be tempted to challenge myself to building an aircraft entirely out of 3D printed parts, like airfix, but flying.

Thread: Correx built PSS models
31/07/2015 14:09:50

All about time I'm afraid!

So the F-86 re-cover is top of the list ready for September meet. Then got to get on with the TB-3, finish some others that have been half done for far too long....

Maybe next year! Plus Domestic tasks.....

Thread: 3D printing - a home production revolution?
31/07/2015 12:12:43

Hobbyking have a 3D printer available in the UK warehouse with free shipping, only ~ £200. I wish I had the cash to spare.

31/07/2015 12:04:13

Got too many others on at the moment, but maybe in the winter.....or next year.

30/07/2015 14:11:00

Andy - drop tanks are longer term - I'll be going some to have the airframe done for September, never mind bells and whistles.

Key is going to be when I can get time to do it - something that is very limited at the moment, but might get into the shed for a bit this evening and get the ailerons split from the wing.

Thread: Scroll Saw
30/07/2015 12:40:33

Indeed kc. happened across it and thought it might be of interest.

Olly

30/07/2015 12:32:13

Very tempting to built the U-2...

Thread: Scroll Saw
30/07/2015 12:20:31

All,

Looking for something unrelated on the B&Q website and I came accross the performance power scroll saw, currently going for £26.

http://www.diy.com/departments/performance-power-240v-scroll-saw/173963_BQ.prd

I already have a scroll saw, but might be worth a look....

Edited By Olly P on 30/07/2015 12:20:43

30/07/2015 11:32:46
Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 30/07/2015 11:24:27:

This model is going to look sooo good when it's done. Sept not long to wait for a video of the "maiden"!

I'll do my best, but don't over-egg the pudding!

I love flying the Sabre, and if the covering wasn't getting a bit worn I'd have kept flying her as she was, but as I need to re-cover her it is worth changing the frock slightly and I've always loved this colour scheme.

Thread: Next stop Elvington
30/07/2015 11:30:13
Posted by brfc7 on 29/07/2015 21:00:08:

Any idea what time the Vulcan is scheduled to display? Just i'm going to have to bring my 1 & 3 year olds so don't want to be their too early as they will probably have had enough after 2 hours. So would rather be their the time it displays.

Baz

Edited By brfc7 on 29/07/2015 21:14:47

I had my 1 year old in tow last time I went to Elvington and he was fascinated by the models and playing by the flight line in the grassy bit when he got bored. There are also plenty of stalls to wander round if they get bored looking at the flying, so don't discount the possibility that they might enjoy seeing the whole thing.

Olly

30/07/2015 10:57:08

Thanks Andy - Will see you in September hopefully.

I was actually only looking for the RAL number of the paint to get a match, but a site run by a RCAF static modelling enthusiast lists the colour and links to the manufacturer so I thought it was worth a look!

If the cost is reasonable I will look at getting a small amount of the gold (enough to do the model and extended tanks if/when I build them), and then I thiink transfers from model-markings will be the way to go with the rest, all finished with a couple of coats of Poly-C over the top for protection.

First thing is to 'finish' the garden to get space and time to do more modelling. I will then look at putting the first laer of glass and Poly-C on the wings, stipping the ailerons while it dries, then more Poly C there, cover ailerons etc. in essence while things dry I want to be working on something else to achieve as much as possible in the limited time lumps I am likely to get.

I will hopefully have her ready for September, but can't commit!

Olly

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!