By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cuban8

Here is a list of all the postings Cuban8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Glassfibre covering
04/07/2020 14:33:50

Just looked at the specs for the Kobra and it's designed as a lightweight model from the outset. 45 inch span and

3 1/4 lbs flying weight. You could use a glass/paint finish but through bitter past experience and with the best will in the world, weight build up can catch you out. With larger models you have to be very ham fisted and clumsy to make an unflyable model with loads of filler/too heavy cloth/ excessive resin not rubbed down sufficiently, and to cap it all, layer after layer of paint, but you risk disaster all the more with a small model, even when taking care. I have produced satisfactory results but only after much experience and learning what works and vice-versa.

If it was my Kobra, I'd pay particular attention to making a nice smooth finish to the airframe and then go with an attractive film colour scheme. If you want to try glassing, make up test pieces from a sheets of 4" wide 1/4 balsa say about a foot long. and try out various techniques to see what you get on with. Practice on a curved sheet as well to get used to manipulating the glass correctly. Go to YouTube and you'll be amazed at how many different ways of glassing there are. Search for a chap called 'Hornitpilot' I find his methods work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNZ-j8r1Tc&t=60s

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/07/2020 14:42:04

Thread: Anyone used the Spektrum AR410 or 620 receivers ??
04/07/2020 10:51:59
Posted by Don Fry on 24/03/2020 15:13:42:

In all fairness Chris, no holds, no frame loss, apx. half of the acceptable fades rate, is well within specification.

Trouble with this telemetry, while it's a boon, it's another source of anxiety.

You can drive yourself to the brink of a nervous breakdown by becoming overly obsessed with telemetry data - RSSI in particular. I originally set mine on the DX8 G2 to 30% in the absence of any real setting advice in the manual and the ruddy thing was going off all the time despite having rock solid control at maximum visual distance and with reasonable fade figures and no holds at all. Set mine to 10% now and it only squeaks now and again if someone on the flightline next to me blocks the line of sight betwixt tranny and model and the odd random beep that makes you jump!  Never a problem though. I rely on a thorough and detailed range check at various angles on a new installation noting frame losses and adjusting as required, then expecting to get at least 40 paces with solid lock before each flying session as a normal (i.e reduced power) range check. Providing that's good, I'm happy. I notice that the telemetry figures do differ from flying session to flying session when except for the day itself, apparently nothing else has changed. (?)

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/07/2020 10:58:17

Thread: Flying during pandemic.
04/07/2020 10:22:17

Because of my wife's medical history and her shielding, I've not been flying since the lockdown. I've steered clear of supermarkets and local shops during busy times and we've generally kept ourselves to ourselves. A low risk to visit a flying field it's true, but after all the effort to minimise problems for my other half, it didn't make sense for me to go flying and take a chance for the sake of a few flights during the height of the infection. As far as I know, there's been no problems at either of my clubs and those that have been flying have managed OK with the few sensible rules to follow.  I'll resume next month when the sheilding ends. I hope to go to one of the Superbike races at Donnington later in the year - all outside so looking forward to that.

I don't know about club meetings and what's to be done with those. I'm not a regular pub user, so the relaxation of the restrictions today doesn't affect me - I'd not be happy to attend club meetings at a pub or hall for the time being, and I'll reserve judgement on club AGMs later in the year if they do go ahead depending on the virus situation. A while to go yet, so hopefully things will continue to get better.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/07/2020 10:29:22

Thread: Spektrum Receiver Plugs and Sockets
02/07/2020 16:45:18

I always now specify Hitec style plugs when I order extension leads, they fit my Spektrum receivers perfectly. Looking at few others that I've got in my spares box, the plugs are not chamfered at all and will probably be a tad tight without a little 'adjustment'. Have a few clipped Futaba plugs as well, but it's a pain to fiddle about with them. Some plugs I've noticed in the past are a bit thicker than normal with a slight step around the cable entry giving an awkward fit for the plugs in a fully populated receiver. Plug polarity is not an issue no matter what make you use.

A quick moan......I wish Spektrum never used those tiny little connectors for satellites, why not a standard servo plug? Very easy to strain the connector at the miniscule crimp and some of my genuine Spektrum leads have failed because the crimp was too tight and compromised the insulation through to the conductor. No strain relief and hence failure - result.....no link at switch on. Hobbyking ones meant for orange RXs are much better and cheaper, when you can get them.

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/07/2020 16:47:57

Thread: more good service
02/07/2020 14:39:14

I've always found SMC's service to be exemplary, but to be honest, retailers either on-line or bricks and mortar, just can't afford to be anything other than on top of their game these days.

Thread: HobbyKing ,AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
02/07/2020 14:26:39

Love 'em or loath 'em, Hobbyking revolutionised our hobby, by cutting out the middlemen and bringing affordable R/C goods (in particular electric flight) to the masses. Go back ten years and they were really humming, but as of late and since the disasterous Website revamp of a few years ago, they've been a shadow of what they were. Political and economic woes have dented their operation and left them with stock shortages and considerable price hikes - they are no longer the power that they once were IMHO. Pressure on disposable incomes made much worse by the pandemic might well do for them.

Some interesting stats here...https://ecommercedb.com/en/store/hobbyking.com

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/07/2020 14:31:28

Thread: OS 91 surpass disassembly
01/07/2020 12:40:51

**LINK**

Some examples of extraction tools. I'd think that with a little care and with only hand tools and fine files, something that works should be able to be put together, even if it only works once. I admit that on one of my ASPs I did drill a small hole in the casing and drifted the inner bearing out after all efforts with heat and tapping failed. Filled with slow set epoxy, never been a problem and the engine is still pulling well in my Seagull Seaeagle. Not noticable unless you know to look for it. I'd change the cam bearings while the engine's in bits, false economy not to, they always are a bit gritty when you get them out despite feeling OK when in situ.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/07/2020 12:49:34

Thread: Can I use an ESC & LIPO for BEC only?
01/07/2020 09:36:04

How about keeping it simple? Disable the motor by disconnecting it via suitable connectors (will have to be done anyway, with a detachable nosecone) and then use a rubber band to hold a folding prop closed tight to the fuz, or if a fixed prop, just take it off and replace the spinner with a suitable spacer?

This is usually sufficient to satisfy the requirements of most silent flight only sites, but I have heard that some will pedantically insist on a complete no power rule even if the installation is totally disabled.

Thread: 20kg
30/06/2020 10:34:33

An interesting conundrum. This Cub comes in at around the 26 Kilo mark

**LINK**

How would the internal inspection process work in the case of such an airframe as the big Cub if it was to be imported? AFAIA, individual aircraft are inspected throughout the build and signed off at the end after flying tests - so how will the quality of workmanship of an ARTF factory half way around the planet be monitored and signed off? I suppose this must have cropped up before, wonder how it was dealt with?

Way beyond my pay grade, but just curious.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/06/2020 10:36:05

Thread: What glues do you use?
29/06/2020 12:51:17

I like Bob's idea to use canopy glue on Robart hinges - must give that a go. I normally use epoxy and clean up any glue that squeezes out with a kitchen towel moistened with meths.

29/06/2020 09:46:50

I think in the same way as you Jon. Medium, or in some cases, thin cyano for as much construction as possible,  thick for when a little extra time to set is handy. Epoxy for high stress areas, PVA for the few larger components with more contact area and can be clamped up. I take care to keep my workspace well ventilated as much as possible, but I'm lucky to not be affected by cyano fumes to any great extent. Never had any examples of brittle Cyano joints, but it helps if your woodwork is accurate and avoid gaps - true for any glue really. No evidence that the very expensive branded cyanos are worth the extra over what I get from my favourite Ebay supplier for 1/3 the cost of the big name with all the flashy advertising, IMHO.

I don't have the patience to wait around for slow setting glues these days.

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/06/2020 09:47:47

Thread: Does anyone remember...
28/06/2020 13:19:48

The whole economic model is so utterly different to what it was in the so called 'golden age'. Our expectation of continuous instant service at any hour of the day is something that didn't exist when I was a kid in the 60s and obviously long before that. We accepted that goods were relatively expensive compared to one's income, but we didn't have the 'upgrade fever' anywhere near a much as exists now, so your radiogram, tele, kitchen appliances etc etc tended to be kept for far longer - if it still works, why do I need a new one? and if it doesn't, I'll get it fixed, type of mentality. Easier credit, loans, credit cards and H.P. loosened the shackles and set the scene for the ruin of far too many individuals and families as we've witnessed in recent years.

Forgive me Geoff, but the local one man and his wife family model shop that we knew and enjoyed in our youth just can't ( and mostly doesn't) survive now and, to be honest, I feel that what positivity they undoubtedly had to offer in years past is largely irrelevant now.

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/06/2020 13:21:35

Thread: Hanger Rash
28/06/2020 12:33:14
Posted by Tony H on 28/06/2020 11:55:51:

Humm, I waa hoping Solartex would be better, I heard old fashion Nylon and dope is the best for strength and staying tight. I have just read that Solarfilm os no longer in business, has anyone taken over the business or is that the end of Solarfilm products?

Like a lot of British manufacturers, they've closed up and handed their once world beating business to the Germans and Chinese on a plate.

Thread: RCM&E July 2020 issue chat
27/06/2020 10:41:02

Re litho plates ,parts 1 & 2.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Picture are worth a thousand words?

Thread: Hanger Rash
26/06/2020 10:11:07

Iron temp is important and some films/coverings appear to be more sensitive than others. In my experience of Solarfilm, Profilm, Hobbyking and few others that have appeared over the last forty years, all iron on covering jobs will wrinkle in storage or in the sun to some extent no matter how paranoid one gets with iron temperature. It's a nice little get out on behalf of the manufacturers to suggest that any wrinkling at all can be avoided if the right iron temp is used - it puts the onus totally on the end user. I'm not saying that the materials' instructions should be disregarded, do your best to follow what's advised but don't expect any film covering to remain totally stable for ever. Thankfully, a quick run over with the iron will bring the tautness back for a while.

Thread: How Windy is Too Windy
26/06/2020 09:54:41

No simple answer to that I'm afraid. Depends on so many factors, obviously model type, pilot skill and experience, local weather conditions/flying site characteristics etc - how averse are you breaking models? Just build up experience and fly in increasingly difficult conditions, you'll known when too much wind is too much for you. Don't just copy your mates and never fly if you don't feel happy about doing so, or just to prove a point.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/06/2020 09:57:16

Thread: LMA Shows cancelled
26/06/2020 09:32:55
Posted by Ron Gray on 26/06/2020 08:33:30:

Hi Denis, I too am in the high risk category for reasons best known to the NHS so understand your dilemma. I am going to continue to monitor the situation as the relaxation of social distancing takes effect and hope that by the time October comes there hasn't been a second wave of the Covid. If I do go then I will take all reasonable precautions in particular hand cleansing if touching goods (it will be interesting to see how the various retail trade tents will manage this, if at all).

At the end of the day it's down to risk assessment / management, but if in doubt don't go, there will always be next year (hopefully), missing one year's worth of shows isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.

A very sensible stance Ron. My better half remains shielded and off work (NHS) because of an otherwise perfectly manageable ailment, but in these times, she remains (and is instructed to be) cautious. As a result, I also limit my contact with others and only allow myself essential trips, so hopefully will bring nothing nasty back home. If you can believe the media and the Government, the virus is in retreat, therefore I hope to restart flying again in a limited fashion, within a few weeks, but for now I'm giving it a miss. Probably over-cautious, but we've come this far without a problem, so why risk it for the sake of another few weeks? It's not as though I'm short of other tasks. I see that a number of non-modelling outdoor events that I'm interested in are planned to go ahead in late September after being postponed from May - will see how things go as regards those. Heard that one of my old work colleagues succumbed to Covid-19, so there for the grace of god etc.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/06/2020 09:40:59

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
25/06/2020 15:59:23

What you should remember is that a 'one size fits all' approach to regulations and rules adopted by clubs, does and will never work satisfactorily. A very small club or group say under a dozen members/flyers who know each other well and fly together regularly may well be able to function perfectly well without achievements or BMFA, or although highly undesirable, without insurance. surprise

A much larger club of 50 or 100+ members, many of whom don't know each other that well, are unfamiliar with other people's flying standards or habits will at least have some comfort in knowing that the person who has just rocked up to field will have passed an 'A' and can be expected to fly to a basic safe standard. Go to even the most relaxed fly for fun meeting (Old Warden, for instance) and the A or B requirement, depending on what you're flying, gives everyone confidence in each other. I don't regard that as being unreasonable.

25/06/2020 12:38:03

SR71......as a clearly highly experienced modeller and flyer of many years standing, to pack your hobby up after all the investment in time, money, learning etc that you've put in for the sake of a couple of bits of paper, I find difficult to understand. We see in the BMFA mag pictures of kids after passing the A and B so it's not difficult, but requires a bit of book work to pass the questions - not the end of the world - a week of reading all the bumf and learning a few facts and figures to repeat parrot fashioned is the most onerous part. Why do you object, I wonder,?

As a fixed wing examiner myself of some twenty years standing, I have to say that the Achievement Scheme has, I feel, moved away from its original intent and I agree that either through accident or design, is morphing into a licencing system pushed on by officialdom under the hand of the CAA, government departments and others. It'll only get worse, I fear.  Those that relish such bureaucracy will welcome it and attempt to weave it into their clubs as a means of exerting control over and above what is really required.

Thankfully, most will take what they feel is sensible and proportionate and carry on as normal. I think it's sensible to require an 'A' for unsupervised solo flight in most club environments, but whether it goes much further than that (other than what is strictly required by the law) will often run us into trouble by causing resentment and rancour between members and committees.

Edited By Cuban8 on 25/06/2020 12:45:57

25/06/2020 09:57:02
Posted by Simon Burch 1 on 25/06/2020 08:55:29:

I don't think that the hobby is dying, but it's certainly undergoing fundamental change - and not all of it is bad. I agree with previous comments that the impact of CAA legislation has been surprisingly small; however, the high profile of last year's drone incidents has led to widespread bans on model flying in public places. In our area, no models of any kind may be flown in public parks. To me, this is outrageous, but in the present risk-averse climate there is little that can be done.

To fly their newly purchased drones or EP RTFs, people expressed interest in joining our club. However, our rules, which permitted 'solo' flying by BMFA A Certificate holders only, put them off because they couldn't fly without a qualified person to supervise. In effect, we were discouraging participation in model flying.

To my mind, the A-Certificate rule was essential in the days when we had to learn on a 40-sized I/C trainer, but now people can learn the basics on a PC simulator and a lightweight EP foam model. Most drones more-or-less fly themselves, and many models have stability augmentation or autopilots. Lightweight EP foam models are cheap, incredibly crash-resistant, and are unlikely to cause harm or damage if they crash.

Consequently, we've amended our rules, and introduced some other measures, to address this. So far we have:

Carried out a risk assessment and amended the club rules to permit non-BMFA A Cert holders to fly models below 250g without supervision. An A Cert holder must see that they can control the model and understand its limitations before 'solo' flying is permitted.

Welcomed drone flyers and encouraged them to join.

Encouraged the use of RC flight simulators and EP foam models to learn the basics.

Used social media to arrange impromptu meetings, share advice etc.

Introduced people to 'traditional' model flying by arranging club event that involve simple and cheap builds eg Cloud Tramp, chuck gliders etc.

Used events to engage with the public (pre C-19 of course).

Built a 'traditional' club trainer for those who wish to progress their skills.

Time will tell how successful these measures are, but so far the signs are encouraging and we've seen a healthy rise in membership - including under 50s - and a substantial increase in flying activity. We've even seen drone flyers building traditional models. Of course, C-19 has helped but the trend was already apparent.

Simon, I applaud you and your club's efforts - sounds like that you've gone about things in a well thought out and considered way and obviously have some committed members to organise and carry out what you're trying to achieve. yesyes

Having been involved in a small way with club organisation for quite some time, I know only too well how challenging these projects can be to get going, and often more importantly, keeping them running and relevant whilst relying on the availability, good will and enthusiasm of volunteers. The only comment I'll make is that because this type of initiative is club driven as a recruiting tool, rather than as a response to a large demand from potential members finding their way to you, they do have a weak link.

I've known other similar & very good schemes gradually fade away over time, usually because it's difficult to get others to do their fair share of the work (not just the flying bit) and to take over as new blood when the original people wish to move on or wish to spend more time doing their own thing etc. Not limited to our hobby of course, many clubs & organisations have the same issue. Anyway, good luck - at least you're having a go.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!