By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cuban8

Here is a list of all the postings Cuban8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
05/12/2019 17:44:48

By a potential cessation of our activities, I think being limited to below 400' would pretty much have put an end to a large proportion of club flying - maybe not all, I accept that's too strong, but it'd kill thermal soaring and aerobatics and a lot of general flying for fun with higher performance models. Forget all those lovely big loops! 400' is not much - if you've stood by the London Eye which is just under 450' tall and imagine flying a 60" span sports aerobat below its height, you'd be surprised at how restrictive it would be. I thought just that when visiting London a little while back and was surprised how low 400' is when you have something to gauge the height by.

Not a problem thankfully, we have the exemption at least for the time being, but who knows what might transpire if we just keep quiet - I'm sure the BMFA understands this.

05/12/2019 14:06:37
Posted by john stones 1 on 05/12/2019 13:22:03:

Why don't yous form an association, and get in there and fight it, as you see it ? You could start by building this groundswell.

BMFAs antiquated structures, Why write that ? They trekked through to Donny on a cold Winters night, without us having to ask, it was offered. Presented a where we are, and how we got here, stood and answered all questions, sat and took members through the online test (all passed) all at no cost to us on the night, then had to drive home late at night. Plus they're on here and elsewhere, answering the same questions over and over.

What is the point of these continuous cheap digs ?

What cheap dig? I and virtually all the BMFA members are grateful for what's been done on our behalf to deflect the worst of what could have been an immediate sessation in our activities and make the administering of all the new regs as easy as possible - working on it now, actually.

BMFA's antiquated structures? By that I meant how little involvement an ordinary member is permitted given the power of clubs and the way their votes are weighed, and as a consequence, how us ordinary folk are effectively voiceless. We've been around this particular favourite a number of times, it's not going to change, so enough.

05/12/2019 11:59:56

Amsterdam Drone Week? Quite a nice jolly by the look of it. I understand that the Flat Earth Society and Alien Abduction people can also drum up a few deluded folks as well.wink

Matty, your final paragraph sums it up in a nutshell except that I'd replace your first "if" with a "when". That said I fully accept that we are where we are. However, to remain quiet about what's happened to our hobby and not keep questioning our inclusion and generally holding the legislators' feet to the fire while we wait for the whole rotten registration system to collapse through ineffectiveness (in the UK at least) will be a serious mistake. If nothing else we'll be able to say "we told you so". Our silence would be tantamount to acquiescence.

No more going round in circles, but I wait with interest what the official position will be in the next BMFA Mag.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/12/2019 12:01:45

05/12/2019 10:19:34

OK, we've all been good little boys and have done as we're told by registering, throwing £9 away etc etc ..... next thing is to get a groundswell of members to lobby the BMFA to devise and publish their plans to get us out of the flawed registration scheme. Not a good start by the BMFA saying a while ago that they're not opposed 'in principle' to registration. I think they'll find that the membership is very opposed to the imposition of registration and need to see action to get our case looked at properly and the manner in which we've been bounced into something that we had no reason to be included in from the start. Can any one put forward a valid reason for our inclusion, given that if we'd been a problem before, then all this would have been dealt with ages ago before hobby drones were invented?

How does one communicate one's view given the BMFA's antiquated organisational structure? Forget going to regional committee meetings before anyone brings those up. Perhaps next year's membership figures might wake someone up if they carry on in the same downward trend?

As for CAP 1868 it's very little other than pure fantasy, but a nice glossy document that should have a place reserved for it in the fiction section. Come on KC I dare you to put out an RCM&E editorial to set our position straight. Are we for registration or against it?

Thread: DB Hurricane paint and finish.
04/12/2019 10:09:17
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 04/12/2019 09:52:32:

Forgive me for being a party pooper but isn't it illegal to display a swastika? I've noticed that on refurbished full sized BF109's & FW190's there isn't a complete swastika on them. Or is it only illegal in Germany?

Not in this country and I get irritated at people who leave the marking off because of some misplaced sense of outrage/offense/PC or whatever. The Germans must do as they see fit.

My late father and other family members were terribly ill treated by the Japanese during the war - to say nothing of other Japanese atrocities committed in China and elsewhere, yet we don't have a problem with the 'Rising Sun' that was the symbol of that terrible regime and is still in use today. Not a problem for the plastic kit manufacturers either.

Lest we forget.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/12/2019 10:11:19

03/12/2019 11:35:18

As far as my club and committee is concerned, to remain a member of the club one has to have BMFA and be CAA registered - easily confirmed on the portal, no exceptions including guest flyers. No tickets - no fly. Why would anyone wish to complicate matters? 95% of our members pay BMFA and CAA  through the club anyway so job done,   The few who belong to other clubs and pay their dues through them will have their status confirmed via the portal. A minute or two's work.

Edited By Cuban8 on 03/12/2019 11:43:47

03/12/2019 10:14:55

Aren't we waiting for a definitive answer re insurance cover and non-compliance with the regs from the BMFA? I seem to recall that discussions were on-going.

AGM last night...........no probs, no arguments, no panic, no resignations. Everyone paid up without batting an eye.

Easy.

Edited By Cuban8 on 03/12/2019 10:19:18

Thread: what type of battery pack for i/c engine trainer
03/12/2019 09:21:41

Done this to death in other posts, but in any case - yes the little LED voltage indicators are an essential bit of kit to give a heads up to a failing battery, have them on all my models and have shown up dodgy cells on a number of occasions, latest one only a few weeks ago in an underperforming 5 cell Nimh.

On batteries, I have a couple of questions to pose to everyone........can you honestly say what the C rating of your battery pack is? ...................

.........and do you have any idea as to your model's power requirements (for simplicity that'll be max current) in a worse case scenario?

Answer no to any of the above and you're asking for trouble.

02/12/2019 09:14:53
Posted by Steve J on 01/12/2019 20:10:18:

"The distances in point 4 apply to drones and model aircraft fitted with cameras. Even if you don’t have a camera, you must still fly safely, so following these points will help you do this."

(Drone Code, point 4, para 2)

To sum up then.......providing your model is not equipped with a camera, the 50M rule doesn't apply but should instead be used as a guide to ensure safe flying.

Q. Providing I'm happy that I can hover my non-camera equipped heli within 50M of adjoining properties safely, I and anyone else in a similar situation is good to go.

01/12/2019 20:05:27
Posted by Steve J on 01/12/2019 19:24:43:
Posted by Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 14:56:10:

According to the Drone Code................."Keep the right distance from people and property. People and properties – 150ft (50m)"

Did you read the first few sentences of that section of the drone code?

Yes I have read it and understand the statement no closer than 50M.Top of the page points 3-7. What I'm saying is does that mean an unobstucted 50M or as I suggest in one's garden with a fence covering all paths to a close neighbouring property? What about hovering a drone/heli inside a clearing within clump of trees thats <50M of a property?

I know a model shop where they test hover customers' machines after repair in the fenced off area at the back of the shop - how will they get on?

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 20:06:13

01/12/2019 15:05:31

Cheers Martin.............laugh

01/12/2019 14:56:10

According to the Drone Code................."Keep the right distance from people and property. People and properties – 150ft (50m)"

So, this effectively precludes any testing of a >250g helicopter in your garden? (unless you have a huge garden). Would it be OK to hover the machine below the level of your boundary fence, so you're not directly within 50M of your neighbour's house?

Thread: Now That's Proper Customer Service......
01/12/2019 14:28:26

Good result......one has to challenge price rises whenever possible and usually you wind up with a result. Have saved myself hundreds of pounds this way over the years. Missed the recent Virgin Media £4 hike though, I simply forgot about it among all the other stuff going on - will give me more ammunition though when they try it on again, as they will do.wink.

01/12/2019 14:19:33

Re the dropping of hard copy insurance certs and BMFA membership cards - from 100 members I've not had one single request for hard copy of either and I know many of our members are active in the comp scene and go to fly-ins etc. so they're managing OK.

I have all my own details on my phone - if anyone did want a printout of their stuff from the Portal it's hardly an onerous task and TBH the cost to the club is minute compared to posting out all the old bumph that for most people just got chucked to the back of the work bench or in the drawer and forgotten about.

01/12/2019 10:11:48
Posted by Richard Acland on 30/11/2019 17:28:31:

It would appear that club membership renewal is now done via the club portal. I have always in the past renewed club membership using the stick on label method. it would appear that this method will no longer be available. I have always found the old method pretty quick and foolproof. If it aint broke why fix it.

I used the stickers method for years. Yes, it worked OK but with over a hundred members to deal with the Portal is so much easier, flexible and convenient. I loathe change for the sake of it as I've said in the past, but I'm not sorry to see the end of the paper based BMFA renewals and other admin stuff.

My club's AGM tomorrow.................It'll either be chaos, or deserted..........can't be sure which at the moment.wink

LHF..........Pettifogging, what a great word, must remember to use it more often.laugh

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:18:50

Thread: HK black friday ?
01/12/2019 09:47:01

I think its fair to say that without getting into the whys and wherefores of politics, that the world's economy is undergoing change at the moment and TBH, what has been an unsustainable orgy of consumerism fueled primarily by cheap labour is beginning to falter, but is a long way off collapse.  The environmental impact of our over indulgence is only now hitting home and will drive 'dirty' but cheap industries out of business, either through normal economic means or regulation. A realization that a 'sweat shop' based industry that transfers its assets from one country to another as regulation and therefore better conditions catches up with it has only so many places to do business before running out of options. Questions are being asked about the internal affairs of states that those in charge there would rather keep quiet about. Where next for cheap labour? Africa?

Someone commented elsewhere on the rising cost and availability of our hobby products from China and we've all noticed it whether it's ARTFs, batteries, engines etc. Oddly enough, I don't see much evidence of similar price rises or lack of choice in other areas of consumer goods.

Chinese manufactured clothes are still cheap (depending on whether you avoid the crazily inflated prices of so called designer garments - that are still mostly made in Asia) and other electronic goods and domestic stuff is still available at a reasonably stable cost. Obviously, there are economies of scale at work here and our hobby, even on a global scale is tiny compared with other areas of tech. Hobby firms will have to adapt or go under and Hobbyking, by blaming everyone and everything else for their failings - which have been evident for some time now anyway - do themselves very little good.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/12/2019 10:00:08

30/11/2019 10:49:03
Posted by Kevin 216 on 30/11/2019 10:21:18:

Clubs insisting members renew their BMFA membership themselves via the GO site may well lose members.

Agree. A very risky strategy IMHO. I fear that many clubs will lose a high proportion of their 'armchair flyers' as well - whichever way they want members to rejoin.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/11/2019 10:49:58

30/11/2019 09:44:20

My club collects is subs more and more via bank transfers, I suppose last year about a quarter of members paid that way. No problem with that at all and our club bank account works fine. Most still pay by cheque at the AGM or via post and slightly fewer prefer to pay by good old cash.. I have to say that renewals are markedly slower this year, I am concerned. We've had an on-going drop of 5% in the membership for the last five years - got a bad feeling about this year. The heady days of 140+ members is long gone, we'll be lucky to keep to 95 this year. My other club mirrors this as well.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/11/2019 09:47:34

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
30/11/2019 09:29:55
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/11/2019 20:30:08:

Very few from all British component parts, I suspect.

My wife and I did the Triumph Factory Tour at their huge Hinkley plant last week. Nothing is more British than Triumph Motorcycles, but the operation is global now. Parts come from all over the world with some of their range built here and others from Asia and South America. Parts being machined at Hinkley were made on mostly foreign sourced equipment. My own Bonneville was built in Thailand (the video of the plant there was astonishing), but to me it's still a Brit icon and of course the technical development continues to be centralised here. https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/visitor-experience/factory-tour

I doubt that there are very many manufacturers that rely totally on home sourced materials or parts, no matter where they are in the world.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/11/2019 09:31:30

Thread: What does this mean?
28/11/2019 15:21:48
Posted by Andy Meade on 28/11/2019 13:58:44:

That's a heroic looking chap on the front cover smile d

Imagine trying to explain it to the uninitiated............spend months building a detailed scale model .........and then........chuck it off a clifflaugh

Registered? we should be certifiedwink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us