By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cuban8

Here is a list of all the postings Cuban8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Good service from Ripmax
15/06/2019 16:02:56

I was a Futaba user from the mid 70s to 2012 and agree that the gear was excellent, but not Infallible, particularly their PCM gear which claimed many a model in my club back in the day. Never used it or found it necessary over standard PPM.

Thread: DB Sport & Scale Sopwith Pup 60" ws
14/06/2019 21:10:25

This is rediculous, I've broken my rule of never building more than one model at a time - three on the go at the momentcrying

..................and DB bring out this little beautywink

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
14/06/2019 21:02:21

With a gale blowing outside and rain that's curtailed house painting, gardening and most importantly my usual visits to the flying field my Revolver II has taken a big step forward. Finally on to the blades. Have managed to get my blade blanks cut out and to within a gramme of each other, so not too bad. All clear on what's to be done except I don't understand the detail about the rectangular shaded area within the reinforcement and 10mm dimension shown at the blade root underside on the plan - see pic. Help!

Edit....just had a thought .....incidence packing?

blade root.jpg

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/06/2019 21:05:04

Thread: Kings Lynn Model Shop
13/06/2019 09:59:27
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 12/06/2019 22:42:14:

Most model shops have at most 3 full time staff, perhaps a few part time. At Laser i am on my own on the assembly and customer service side, i think saito only have about 15 employees, DB models are a small team, model technics i think employ only 3 or 4 people.

Most of the retailers we all deal with simply do not have the levels of staffing people probably expect and think this is why people get annoyed so quickly. It is the misconception that gives them this false impression of people being lazy or incompetent.

That is why whenever anyone criticizes my service at laser, i apologise and then recommend they send in a cv if they reckon they can do a better job. So far no takers.

Playing a little 'devils advocate' here, I think there comes a point at which any business reaches a point of 'critical mass', whereby trying to remain profitable by cutting costs (usually staff as an easy target) only winds up by making their position worse - a sort of spiral of decline in the effectiveness of service and subsequent problem solving, I suppose. More than likely true for big national firms as well as what we might call 'micro businesses' that are to found in the hobby sector, but naturally on a totally different scale.

I have a family member who is going through exactly this in a job that she is good at and likes, but her employer has a blinkered and unimaginative attitude,so can only cut or drive away staff, pay poverty wages and then has the temerity to wonder why the business is not what it was because customers are going elsewhere. As sure as 'eggs is eggs' it will fail.

Businesses need to do what they think best for their continued existence and we need to accept that dealing with a small outfit might, in some cases, not give the same snappy service that one usually gets from a large retailer or supplier. This might be true when comparing the performance of websites, telephone answering or emails, and dispatch times (mind you, the big boys sometimes fall down as well). I rarely have difficulty with Ebay sellers, many of whom are clearly working out of a garage or spare bedroom, maybe the 'feedback effect' keeps them on their toes?

As a consumer, I am happy to accept that things do go wrong from time to time, but I do like to be kept in the picture with good communications and truthful info.

Thread: Good news thread.
13/06/2019 07:18:05

Hit my target weight yesterday of 11st 7lb. Was 14-10 a couple of years ago.

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
12/06/2019 07:31:06

On iPlayer if you missed it. Not watched it fully myself yet. **LINK**

11/06/2019 12:33:12

IMO a flawed submission from a Mr Clarke a PPL currently requiring re-validation...........just what we need.

"in general drones (quadcopters) are at least as safe, if not safer, in the airspace and to the public on the ground than ‘model aircraft’ (Vis fixed wing and helicopters). They are in the main lighter, smaller and slower than many model aircraft and easier to control. In addition all recreational and commercial drones are battery powered thus eliminating the risk of carrying volatile fuels"

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/06/2019 12:34:18

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
11/06/2019 11:27:35

This is what we're up against **LINK**

I went through this yesterday and was astounded at the tone of the document - full of meaningless junk like 'thriving drone ecosystems', industry showing extraordinary growth', 'engaged stakeholders' etc etc..........the usual vacuous mangement newspeak. There's 254 pages of it to go through and to play a certain variation of Bingo with....enjoy.

Very slick (not sure about some of the graphics though, my five years old grandson could have done much better) and one can see how attractive it might be to those that are looking to push a discredited registration scheme.

Just one thing.................how the devil will anyone flying a model aircraft interfere with much that's predicted in the document, particularly in the medium term, say the next ten years whilst all this stuff is being 'developed'? Policing, traffic control, delivering medicine, search and rescue, surveying, and so on are all good areas for drone use, but where will a bunch of blokes flying their models from a club site be a hazard to them? Drones in cities? good luck with that one and in anycase, how many clubs in the UK are city based?

Someone, anyone, come up with a convincing case that says we'd be a problem? Oh, of course, I'm forgetting the delivery drones that'll be blanketing the sky over the whole UK. devil

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/06/2019 11:30:52

11/06/2019 08:32:00

Drone registration looks to be inevitable, not really bothered by that because it will fail in its aims, but we must continue to lobby and persuade the rule makers to give members of affiliated clubs (no matter what you fly) an exemption because of the reasons we've made clear over and over again. Not so good for non BMFA LMA  etc  flyers but the best outcome we can expect, not holding my breath.

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/06/2019 08:36:41

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
10/06/2019 12:49:06

That's a shame DoL. Perhaps more of a chance in slightly better weather? How much roll movement do you think you'll need to adjust in?

BTW, managed to get a reasonable canopy from my 3L pop bottle thanks to your adviceyes

Haven't had as much time as I'd like to get my Revolver finished, getting close thoughsmiley

08/06/2019 23:30:15

Only another 99000 signatures or thereabouts to go! Signed it anyway. Shame about the typo in the petition.

Thread: Good luck to the BMFA
08/06/2019 09:46:35

Thanks John for the link.

08/06/2019 09:23:20

See on BBC website,' Why your pizza will never be delivered by drone'. Sums it all up and what here today and gone tomorrow politicians and others need to understand.The big multinationals with their slick posturing over drone deliveries need to be robustly challenged. Sorry chaps, we need to fight this to the very last and use all of our limited resources to the max. Publicity is everything, we need a well known name in the public eye to champion us as well.

08/06/2019 08:51:32

A bit late in coming but a worthwhile piece nevertheless. Not sure I'd be talking about the possibility of BMFA members going under the radar and I'd challenge the notion of increased drone use that would conflict with our activities . ludicrous to compare fishing licences and permits to drone registration - quite different purposes and scope. This is not the time to roll over and give up, keep telling the truth about how ineffective registration will be, how we've been unjustly caught up in all this. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 08/06/2019 08:58:03

Thread: Slowing down (a sports-aero) on landings - flaperons or spoilerons?
06/06/2019 11:21:14

What's interesting here from the various comments posted, is how much variation there can be in peoples' technique. Having got into warbirds of around 1/6 -1/7 scale so around the 70" span & 10-15lb mark over the last few years, the temptation to stick to methods that you'll get away with on a WOT4 or similar needs a lot of re-learning and concentration and focus. I have to say that Jon's many warbird tips on setup and techniques do challenge much of the received wisdom that we often labour under and in particular the need for reduced elevator movement (we usually set much too much and have it lurking to catch us out) and not running to elevator expo to cure dumb thumbs.

I'm still far from perfect, but just those two tips have improved my warbird flying a great deal and I endeavour to pass this on to others. Keep an open mind and don't rely solely on what you've been doing out of habit over the years.

06/06/2019 09:22:39
Posted by Ben B on 06/06/2019 09:13:16:

I was always coming in too hot. After a while I just learned to get it slowed down on the landing circuit so that I didn't need flaps or spoilerons.

Me too with my heavyweight trainer years ago..........laugh

Good advice above, Martin, so easy to overthink things and run to the mixer programmes in modern trannies rather than get the basics right.

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/06/2019 09:27:32

06/06/2019 09:04:17

Personally, I doubt whether adding the complication of flapperon/spoilerons is actually addressing the route of the problem. The Wots are very forgiving models that are able to be flown at walking pace even in light conditions - even the much heavier IC kit built versions, but with the correct technique.

Before anything else, I'd check for a too far forward balance point and correct elevator movement. The balance point given in the manual is a guide, not a rigid rule, experiment by changing things by say 1/8" (rearward) at a time, elevator might now  need reduced movement. Moving on from that with the model at a good altitude (on a calm day) how slow will the model fly? My guess is that it'll slow down to almost a stop with the throttle nearly shut and the elevator increasingly up before a stall. If it behaves like that at 100' then the same should happen much lower down. Are you flying with much up or down elevator trim, or is the elevator reasonably level with the rest of the tailplane - might be an incidence issue with the wing, have seen this on mass produced ARTFs

That leaves your landing technique.

Too high an approach leaving a last second drop to the patch and the additional speed will build up. Try a curved approach to the patch and adjust height and speed accordingly (throttle and elevator) or stick to the classic square circuit but give yourself a longer run-in to slow down. Avoid landing too far down the strip.  Don't forget that throttle controls rate of descent and elevator the speed. Perhaps give a clubmate a go on the sticks and see how they cope.

I speak from experience as even after forty years of flying I still find landing the most demanding part of the flying envelope.

Good luck....all part of the fun.

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/06/2019 09:19:47

06/06/2019 06:32:05

With 50% of my club's members being mostly 'armchair flyers' even in high summer, a voluntary break over winter will have little effect on us. I suspect that many other clubs are the same. Not much more to mull over at the moment, time's ticking on, but I still hold out a hope for sanity to eventually prevail. Bmfa and others are doing their best although we could do with a bit of positive media coverage and support from a known aviation/modelling enthused celeb.

Thread: Daks Over Normandy
06/06/2019 06:08:49

Myself and Mrs C8 waited at Abberton Reservoir Visitor Centre along with hundreds of others. Quite an anti- climax after the wait and anticipation. The formation, if you could call it that, was much further north than we expected, and quite high as well. Combine that with a very loose grouping in no particular order and it left those gathered about a bit disappointed. Oh well, it was a nice day and the cream teas in the visitor centre were good.

Had some friends in Southend who felt the same - heard on the news that the town and pier were gridlocked. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/06/2019 06:15:51

05/06/2019 12:24:23
Posted by GONZO on 05/06/2019 11:43:38:

Cuban8, if you are correct in your assumption don't you find it strange that this draconian control has occurred at about the same time in all Western developed nations and virtually nowhere else?

The bureaucratic mind set is clearly an international phenomenon....have you seen the ludicrous regs that apply to Canadians that are not members of a club? Bruce Simpson video.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us