By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
19/10/2018 13:46:12

The answer to the problem of too many vehicles is simple......

....have less people. Tax people having children instead of paying them! solves the housing problem in future etc, etc. People overlook the fact that this is what improved the Chinese economy in a generation.

For an easier solution try hybrid cars - my Toyota Auris Hybrid uses half the petrol my old Toyota Carina did on the same journeys with what seems the same engine basically ( plus the hybrid bits) Or try having people living near to their work and children walking to the nearest school.

Thread: Chilli Breeze electric
09/10/2018 11:54:14

The Chilli Wind plan ( that's the larger version of the Breeze ) is now on Outerzone to download and the original article is there too.

Other Mike Delacole plans there too - Rival, Big Easy.

Thread: intro & advice
07/10/2018 18:31:37

Percy I was just setting the record straight in case anyone got the wrong idea!

A forgotten plan that looks interesting is the Student by Cliff Goater ( the Balsa Cabin founder)

07/10/2018 16:49:49

Note that the Ghost Rider 50 plan is on Outerzone+ article or you could buy the plan from DB Sport & Scale who also sell a set of laser cut wing ribs for 9.50 pounds. These ribs are trickier to cut than most as they are slotted very deeply for the spar so very handy to get them ready cut. Same with the bigger version Skyrider and the ribs cost 11.50. The same Skyrider ribs fit the HerrFlick version - Aviation Modeller International plan - which is a 'German' style version.

I see that the Ghost Rider 50 plan has slightly larger looking elevator which seems more practical now for modern RC.

The Uproar was larger and had lifting tail section mounted low down with very different construction throughout so no plagerism by Boddo should be suggested! All worthwhile models but not actually designed for modern electric so some modification needed.

Edited By kc on 07/10/2018 16:54:18

06/10/2018 17:53:28

I reckon this is the Pronto that Nigel meant ( the name is also on other types of plane ) and there is a Mini Pronto too, both rather ugly .....er 'functional'!

I have found a later version of the RCM USA trainer on Outerzone - it's called the Advanced Trainer 2 which uses wing bolts instead of rubber bands and other mods.  It's a bit bigger than some others which may be easier to see for some people.

Edited By kc on 06/10/2018 18:03:21

06/10/2018 16:48:18

Chapter One is a good idea. ( but did they ever publish the aileron wing?)

Two other planes that might suit you if you are in a building mood and will be useful when you have outgrown the trainer

Rival by Mike Delacole -plan and article on Outerzone

Ohmen by Peter Miller - free plan in last months RCME should be available as a back issue.

( note it's much cheaper to buy the mag with a free plan than buy just the plan later!)

Edited By kc on 06/10/2018 16:50:13

Thread: Electric Junior 60 Watts Per Pound
05/10/2018 17:57:24

David, i think most people measure watts with a watt meter at full throttle on the ground, then use that figure for watts per pound. Probably not the same way you calculate? So what would your motor give measured with a watt meter?

What is the laminating film you use and how is it applied?

Thread: intro & advice
05/10/2018 17:39:05

Chris seems to be a plan builder so might be more interested in obtaining a plan as an economic way to build a trainer. The plan for RM Trainer is here on Outerzone and could be downloaded and printed at a copy shop. There is a build blog on Modelflying for an electric version. Another type of trainer has a symmetrical wing section which many prefer. The RCM Trainer is here ( RCM was USA & not the same as RCME or RM ) and a slightly better size too.

Thread: Peggy Sue 2
03/10/2018 09:22:29

If you have wondered about the name of this model I think it was inspired by a Buddy Holly song. The explanantion of the tilte of the song is here for those too young to remember - unfortunately the lady has just died.

Thread: When modelling money saving goes too far...
02/10/2018 18:24:17

Tom, looking up the price of 1/64 ply will tell you it's worth saving even a postage stamp size bit!

And of course a postage stamp bit will make a handy reinforcement for control horns etc on soft balsa parts.

Edited By kc on 02/10/2018 18:25:01

Thread: First Balsa Build - Glue Choices
02/10/2018 18:20:11

Evostik Wood Glue ( Resin W is in tiny print on the current bottles ) in either the green bottle or blue bottle ( waterproof) is fine. Shop around as prices vary enormously from shop to shop and larger sizes are more economical although the large bottle is a bit clumsy for small work.

A simple test piece of two scraps of wood will easily tell you that Resin W is stronger than the wood if left to dry for 24 hours.

Thread: When modelling money saving goes too far...
02/10/2018 18:09:01

It seems most of us keep balsa offcuts - I suggest that it's worth having a few plastic drawers or containers with only one thickness in each then it's easy to find a bit to use. Maybe use the same one for both 1/16 and 1/4 as they are easy to select.

Does anyone have any tips for re-using Solarfilm once it's stripped off the old model! They are not making any more you know.....

02/10/2018 12:43:28

Nowadays all this is not mean it's recycling and it's Green!

Thread: Smith Mini Plane Traplet MW 2038
26/09/2018 17:25:01

Did you receive the article OK Anthony?

Thread: My motor has started screaming
26/09/2018 16:59:35

Recently after 1384 flights ( = about 138 hours) my Turnigy 3536 made odd noises. Investigation found that one of the bullet connectors had partially unsoldered due to a slightly loose fit in the socket and subsequent overheating of the bullet which caused the solder to melt and run out. Intermittent connection caused the ESC to protest noisily . Re-soldering and crimping the socket a little cured the problem. Now up to 1419 flights all in the same model.

Edited By kc on 26/09/2018 17:00:05

Thread: Are branded glues worth it?
26/09/2018 10:42:36

I bought some cheap PVA glue in a green bottle from a well known big supermarket which I assumed might be just the same as well known branded glue.  I did a simple test for strength compared to Evostik Wood Glue (Resin W) Two pieces of softwood lapped, glued and clamped for 24 hours. Tested by forcing apart.

Result the cheap glue came apart. while the Evostik Resin W glue didn't fail but the wood fibres came apart first. So Evostik Resin W is stronger than the wood but the cheap stuff was not.

Easy to test for yourself on some scrap wood. You might also test after 6 hours, 12 hours etc to learn more about drying time. Better than finding out later when you have spent much time building a model!

Edited By kc on 26/09/2018 10:46:07

Thread: Smith Mini Plane Traplet MW 2038
24/09/2018 16:50:56

I will scan the article and send it to you in a day or so.

Please note that the idea of a Personal Message is so that nobody else could see your e-mail address etc - much safer! i will ask the Moderators to remove the address from the thread now that i have the info.

Thread: The Future of the Mass Build
23/09/2018 19:21:23

I don't think you looked quite hard enough BEB ===== look at Prima Ballerina.

Actually I am concerned that the Mass Build suits the masses not me. I remember that previously there were many people who wanted to start over Christmas rather than wait for the 1st Jan. That's why I brought it up again. Lets see what the majority prefer.

Thread: The Ohmen
23/09/2018 17:08:09

The plan shows a 1/8 ply plate across the fuselage and appears to show it covered with 3/32 balsa like the underside . 6mm birch ply would seem a good idea instead - something to get the saddle clamp screws to bite into.

The point about using 1/32 ply doublers is that in a severe crash the ply usually remains intact while the balsa splinters. The ply keeps the model straight enough to rebuild! And as Percy said it's really needed in the u/c mount area. For my model i would choose to use just a 2 inch wide strip of ply instead of the 3.5 inch height shown. Maybe with a triangle to extend up to top of F1 and a couple of filler strips at F2 and F3 to keep the surface level where it meets those formers. Save a lot of weight and expensive ply!

Thread: The Future of the Mass Build
23/09/2018 16:50:31

The important point about start date for the Mass Build is that it is a date that suits the majority of participants. I cannot see any reason for 1st March being chosen - unless it just suits the Moderators! Will a date in the longer daylight hours flying/gardening/ DIY season produce more participants than a Boxing Day start? I have my views but they are not important - it's the views of the potential builders that should be sought.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us