By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First generation acrowot tail fin
22/01/2020 13:33:01

These sort of repairs are so much easier if you collect all the bits of balsa .......with the missing bit it will just glue in and look almost like new. Without it's quite a lot more work. Easier to look around for the missing curved bit!

Without the hinge by the rudder horn any blow to the rudder or even using the rudder in the air will tend to pull the fin to one side. With a hinge in the fuselage itself it will help a lot.

Cof G in the origiinal 57 inch is shown as three and a quarter inch back -plus or minus one quarter inch- measured from bulkhead ( dowel hole bit)   Thats 82.55mm plus/minus 6.35mm I think.  

Edited By kc on 22/01/2020 13:43:48

Thread: Flat plane wing question
22/01/2020 12:14:36

It might be possible to create a lighter but simple wing as a Jedelsky wing. David Boddington did a few in 30 inch size such as this Projed Bf109 which explains this construction.

22/01/2020 11:10:03

I see that in the original Acrowot instructions there should be a hinge on the rudder very near to and slightly above the rudder horn. There seems to be no sign of it in your photo. Make sure you replace this hinge - perhaps choosing a nearby alternative position to avoid digging out the old hinge if it ever existed.  No sign of it being pinned unlike the other hinges which are clearly pinned.

Edited By kc on 22/01/2020 11:12:02

Thread: SWEET & SMART Acronyms meaning??
22/01/2020 10:30:38

I would suspect that club means they expect members to try to achieve their B cert eventually, or they could mean they might choose to accept membership only from a B cert holder if membership is nearing their maximum numbers. Reasonable enough to want to have more experienced members to act as instructors and keep flying standards high.

Frankly there is no substitute for going to the club and chatting with members to find out what the real situation is. Rules like that are often there to be used only when the situation changes. Also if anyone has been to a club AGM they will know that the wording of rules gets changed and compromises made to satisfy members and get a consensus which often results in poor wording.

Thread: SIG J3 CUB 71" DRAWINGS
21/01/2020 19:41:56

Sig normally sell the drawings as well.  Check their website the drawing is listed

Make sure it's the right drawing that I selected - maybe it's this one that's much cheaper

Edited By kc on 21/01/2020 19:45:45

Edited By kc on 21/01/2020 19:54:22

Thread: Spektrum DX6i Throttle issues
21/01/2020 19:39:47

One other possible problem with a 2nd hand set might be that it's set to Mode 1 rather than Mode 2 even thought he rachet seems correct for Mode 2. Swapping mode 1 to 2 also has to be done in the programming menu. So just wiggling the right stick and trim might give a clue ....

21/01/2020 19:30:29

Presumably this is the kit built 57 inch balsa version? Those of us canny enough always draw around every component in the kit onto a bit of lining or wallpaper before starting construction. Then every component can be made again or even a complete model. So someone will have every component drawing for this popular model. But just gluing the remains back together with some slight reinforcemment may work well enough.

At the top of this page you will find 'Features' then' Building technique ' then Don't Bin it Fix it' which is Peter Millers guide to fixing broken models. This covers reinforcing the broken parts.

Thread: 7 Day challenge Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano...............
20/01/2020 19:18:59

Well I was one of the people who thought it wouldn't be possible........but clearly I was wrong! Congratulations. One for the Guiness Book of Records perhaps?

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition Alexandra Palace
19/01/2020 19:48:31

It's a great pity the organisers don't give a free stand to someone like SLEC or Balsa Cabin to sell balsa which would attract aeromodellers to come and get their supplies in the winter. Might improve the numbers of people attending!

Thread: CAA registration take-up?
19/01/2020 16:54:16

It would seem the BMFA have already submitted some names to the CAA as some of my fellow club members have their numbers already wihile others have not. I assumed it might be due to alphabetical order but on checking the names it seems not. The club have paid BMFA all at the same time so thats not the reason. Perhaps some other order like BMFA number order?

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
19/01/2020 15:56:56

Well that makes about 3 others who have upgraded very easily without cost so far.

One thing I have noticed about Windows 10 is that the clock is now accurate.......before the computers clock gradually lost time and was way out by the time GMT changed to Summertime- since Win 10 it is always right. Presumably everything on Win 10 is updated frequently including correction to the clock.

Thread: 7 Day challenge Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano...............
18/01/2020 19:51:00

\if you are just going to make a fake canopy you could use a chunk of white packaging foam ( if not too heavy) by sanding to shape with coarse new glasspaper and covering with brown paper ( etc) and dilute PVA. Overnight it becomes a smooth lightweight shape ready for paint. looks like balsa colour too.

Thread: Dash cams
17/01/2020 20:15:09

Which? / Consumer Association tested these and even if not a member you could access their report for about a pound. They commented on the lack of low light ability on some models which makes them worthless at night.......

Thread: Trendsetters and Iconic Models over the Years?
17/01/2020 19:50:54

The thing is that the most popular model depends on what club you join - the chief instructor at a club likes one trainer design and persuades his trainees that that is the one to have. Same with more advanced models - the hotshot pilot flies model X and all the wannabe hotshots get one too. Another club has a different hotshot with different models.......

Just a few designs seem timeless and always fly well Wot4, Ugly Stik etc etc

17/01/2020 19:44:24

Don - Smog Hog plan on Outerzone

Thread: Hi from me and my KK Fairey Gannet build
17/01/2020 19:31:04

Jim, a Fairey Gannet plan and article to 1/8th scale - 81 inches- was published in Flying Scale Models some years ago. If the article would help you I will send you a scanned copy of the article. This described the folding wings etc. Maybe it's much more complex than your plan but it might help.

As always on this forum we don't put e-mail addresses on the forum but exchange them by Private Message ( " message member" at the bottom of this posting ) so if you want to get the scanned copy you need to contact me that way. I have already scanned the article for someone else a while back so the files are still on my computer and it's no problem to send them.

17/01/2020 18:42:41

Of course the public would be mainly retired people with grey hair on a weekday out of school holidays, hopefully some younger people will go at the weekend.

The engineering show at Sandown was THE Model Engineer exhibition run by the publishers who were also RCME publishers. There were awards for model aircraft too and also trophies I think. One could meet and talk to the RCME etc editors - Bill Burkinshaw, David Boddington etc . Such a shame this petered out.

The current Alexandra Palace show is the London Model ENGINEERING exhibition and was previously at Picketts Lock and always in mid January. Never had competitions or model aircraft except on club stands. But somehow the BMFA got a stand there but I wonder whether it is worthwhile......

17/01/2020 11:32:57

Tom is right - and the bus goes from Alexandra Park station too.

It does not seem many forum members will be going. If the show had a balsa suppliers stand and someone selling plane kits motors engines and radios etc then perhaps many aeromodellers would turn up. Lacking those suppliers in the winter plane building season is not good!

In the good old days of The Model Engineer exhibition ( different organisers) at Alexandra, Wembly, Olympia etc during the post Christmas school holidays it was common to see fathers taking sons and introducing the next generation to creative hobbies. Plenty of stalls selling balsa and everything we needed and inspiration in the form of plenty of model aircraft of all types. Not now.......

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
17/01/2020 11:17:06

I think it is fair enough to mention Linux & Ubuntu etc as a possible alternative to upgrading Windows but if anyone wants to discuss Linux at length then perhaps start a new thread?

There is very little difference between Win 7 and Win 10 in basic operation so don't let that put you off upgrading. Frankly if you try to upgrade and it all goes horribly wrong the worst that can happen is you need to buy a new computer and don't have your old data- and thats the same as buying new anyway.

I reckon that the problem with free online storage is that when they get enough of your valuable files they will charge you to access your own files! Best avoided?

16/01/2020 17:34:02

Is anybody going?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us