By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dust extractor
26/12/2019 12:49:31

It depends what you are doing but for just sanding parts to exact shape it may be possible to reduce the dust by using a Permagrit block instead of glasspaper or disc sander.  The Permagrit seems to produce larger dust or dosn't throw it around so much as you don't need to put a frantic effort into the action. Just a few gentle but firm strokes can sand off a fair amount of balsa or ply without making clouds of dust. The Permagrit blocks seem expensive compared to glasspaper but all you really need is just the wedge shaped Permagrit block.

For sanding the whole model to a fine finish surely waiting for a windy day and sanding outdoors is the thing!

It also occurs to me that we could make up a gadget somewhat like the cabinets used in laboratories to keep chemical fumes away from people- i.e. a transparent box with slots at front to put your hands inside whilst you still view the work from above through the sloping glass or perspex top, perhaps with a simple extractor fan at back to exhaust outdoors.

Edited By kc on 26/12/2019 12:51:09

Edited By kc on 26/12/2019 12:52:02

Thread: Greetings from the land of Oz
24/12/2019 10:03:29

There has been lots about converting TX in RCME over the last few years and as a subscriber you should be able to access the back issues online here on the forum if you have not already seen them.

Thread: Peter Miller Plans Listing
23/12/2019 15:23:53

Size Zero was a free plan in RCModelWorld March 2008

Size 1 was in RCModelWorld Oct 2016 but does not seem to have been a free plan.  However if you look for the plan at Sarik you will see it says it costs £0.00 and adds that to your basket of items.   Perhaps if you buy with something else they may sell it at that!    Looks a good plane though at 51 inches and sheet construction rather than 'stick' as the Zero.

Peter Malkin. I have sent you a Personal Message with details of a copy of RCMW March 2008 with the Size Zero plan for sale at 4 pounds. Seems cheap plan.

Edited By kc on 23/12/2019 15:42:23

23/12/2019 13:23:18

If you search the Sarik Hobbies website you will be able to purchase most of the plans, some others are available from Doolittle Publishing. Note that many of the recent ones were 'free' plans with RCME and it could be a better deal to buy a back issue if available. A few plans are on Outerzone.

Peter didnt mention his books, many of which are still available from Sarik.

Thread: Avicraft Panic
22/12/2019 15:29:26

I think the Panic was the same as the Moronic in wing construction originally. The wing appears to be builtup with ribs but it's actually the cap strips used to veneer the solid foam. The wing is partially veneered - centre is edge to edge and outer parts are LE veneered with 'capstrip' to TE.

Cunning way to save weight and cost of veneer which looks similar to built up!

22/12/2019 12:21:27

It's worth noting that the tailpost on a normal Panic is at the LE of the tailplane so that is the measurement that should be used to compare fuselage length. So the fuselage itself is not really 9 inches longer on Roberts modified one but perhaps only a couple of inches longer. It's perhaps not as drastic as it seems. The rudder is a long way back but not the tailplane.

22/12/2019 10:50:57

Welcome to the forum Robert.

Actually Robert is a member of the same club as myself so I have had a chance to see this actual model ' in the balsa' and it certainly looks a good effort by the previous owner. The rear half of the fuselage looks as though its custom made to fit, not just an odd fuselage grafted on. Possibly a special fuselage rear made to accept a tailplane,rudder and fin from some other design. But it is so well made it also seems possible it was a prototype of a deliberately modified version. There must be somebody around who knows who originally modified the tail end.......

Robert has done his usual neat and workmanlike conversion to electric so I fully expect the test flight to go well - when the weather improves a bit. I hope to be there.

Thread: Sig seniorita power plant
21/12/2019 17:25:54

You might not need to phone 4Max ......

if you look at this list and scroll down far enough you will find Graupner Elektro Kadett and a suggested motor for this model which I reckon is the same. or very similar. There appears to be a slight misprint on prop size -should be 10x 7 for a 3S lipo I think.

My own Sig Seniorita is 3.75 pounds according to my notes so 250 watts will be my choice. However my model is built very lightly with a very light covering material. The wing is huge and could end up very heavy if the covering is heavy, same for tailplane & fin. Could easily end up 5 pounds or more if covered with Solartex & paint etc. Also the Lipo would need to go well forward to avoid further weight of lead to balance. Although the Seniorita is a relaxing model to fly it is not very challenging for an experienced pilot. Good as a first model and easy to see in the air but it won't help progress. It may also be good for getting back into flying though. Many people would say the Super 60 is a better plane for progressing with flying and as a general hack if built as 4 channel. The kit is cheaper than the Seniorita and anyway a plan can be downloaded free from Outerzone.

Edited By kc on 21/12/2019 17:27:39

Thread: SIG Kougar Refurb and Electric Conversion
21/12/2019 16:13:07

Were the two layers of balsa laminated with grain parallel or at right angles?

For this job I would have been tempted to laminate with one layer at 45 degrees ( parallel to the top edge of the fin ) rather than 90deg. Normally using 1/4 instead of 3/16 would suffice though.

Peel ply was a new term to me but a Google search answered my questions. Interesting though.

Thread: Sig seniorita power plant
21/12/2019 12:24:16

You won't want much power for this model! My Sig Seniorita was fitted with an Enya 30 two stroke ( a very powerful 30 ) and it was a real handful on takeoff at full throttle on it's first flight - far too much power. Flew OK on about quarter throttle though.

So for electric maybe 50 watt per pound may be about right - same as a vintage model. I must re-engine this model sometime after 25 years of storage - and i will probably use a 250 watt electric motor as it's very lightly built so the weight is around 4 to 5 pound I think.

Thread: Vertical Positioning of the Wing in the Fuselage
19/12/2019 19:18:38

A prettier 62 inch twin is Doublet.

Much easier to build exactly to the plan than modify, depends whether you like redrawing plans and working out all the new former shapes etc.

19/12/2019 19:05:00

The Fifty Caliber's elegant looks come from having a longer sleeker fuselage and a tapered wing. Also the colour scheme and stripes affect the look.

The Black 5 could have the fuselage top sheets come apart a bit at the top blended into a thick top sheet and use triangular in the corners. Then rounded. A glazed cockpit could be fitted instead of the Hots style wood 'cockpit'. More work! But a sleek colour scheme might change the stumpy fuselage looks. Putting sunburst colour on a straight wing can make it seem more elegant rather like a tapered wing. It's common to see squarish models looking better than they are by clever colour schemes.

19/12/2019 17:38:55

The curved looks of the Fifty Caliber seem to be achieved by bending the side in a little at the top and using a 1/2 thick top sheet. Almost any fuselage can be rounded by using triangular balsa at the corners and shaping with a razor plan. Anyone who has built an AcroWot or simlar construction model knows how the basic box is transformed into a shapely fuselage by the razor plane. It's a basic aeromodelling skill - needs to be done evenly on both sides and in an arc.

Easier to round the Black 5 fuselage than rework the wing position! Or just build a Fifty Caliber.

Thread: Your experience of Banggood delivery time?
19/12/2019 17:07:40

Correction -reviewing the goods sent and the order I think CW is normal!

19/12/2019 16:21:43

The propellors shipped 29th Nov arrived today. Not too bad.

However....... I ordered 5 props and thought I specified normal not reverse rotation, so when I opened the pack 2 looked different to the other 3. The writing is all in Chinese so I have no idea what it says. Sure enough the pair were reverse rotation - not useless for electric but a bit awkward. Trouble is instead of saying reverse rotation Banggood call them CCW or CW meaning counter clockwise or clockwise. But clockwise depends on which side you look from - the pilots view or the starter's side! It seems CCW is what we call normal ......but don't take my word for it!

18/12/2019 14:08:53

Last summer I ordered a set of 6 servos when the price was 6 for the price of 4 and after about 8 weeks they had not turned up so asked for them to be resent. By then the 6 for 4 price had disappeared. 6 turned up within a week and then the original set 6 turned up too a few days later. ( no markings to suggest which was first and which was 2nd lot!) Being honest i told them and they said send one lot back, but I said I prefer to be invoiced for another set as servos are always needed. So duly invoiced at the special price. Fair both ways I thought.

I am still waiting for 5 propellors despatched 29th November - I expect they will turn up soon.

Thread: TJD Models
16/12/2019 15:24:28

It's worth a phone call in case it's actually not dispatched yet. Note that my phone call was answered this morning.....

Thread: Ed Kazmirski Taurus Aerobatic model
15/12/2019 18:07:07

The plan together with a copy of the magazine article is on Outerzone. Also an electric version if you search.   You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the article and also modifications for proportional RC.

Edited By kc on 15/12/2019 18:14:20

Thread: BMFA News Dec 2019
08/12/2019 11:32:54

The paid staff are paid to look after our interests but failed to stop the Government ( the " low tax" government!) from taxing aeromodelling! They failed. Why praise them?

Instead of resisting the 9 pound tax they collect it for the Government!

Edited By kc on 08/12/2019 11:34:56

Thread: C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????
07/12/2019 17:24:50

If you had the choice of putting your car number plates inside the boot rather than on the back and front of your car which one would you choose? Of course you might think getting your car back if stolen is worth getting caught at speed cameras..........

Same with your model - surely inside will avoid anyone saying it's YOUR model flying too close to them, so why would you put the number outside?

Putting the number outside makes it very tricky to remove neatly if you ever want to sell the model to someone else.

Edited By kc on 07/12/2019 17:34:14

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us