By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chipmunk Plan
11/08/2020 10:24:39

I knew that thread existed but couldn't find it yesterday despite 15 minutes of looking! Perhaps Chris as Moderator you could alter the name so it can be found by anyone searching for Chipmunk in future......

Thread: What has happened to i.c. engines?
11/08/2020 10:20:12

I said everyone who is in my club had registered with CAA . We don't agree with the law but are all law abiding citizens. The lawbreakers will bring aeromodelling into disrepute. We should advise the authotities of any aeromodeller who deliberately breaks the law by flying and deliberately not registering..........

Thread: Chipmunk Plan
10/08/2020 18:46:45

The Roger Pegg/John KIdd /Ted Scoles plan was in Radio Modeller june 1984

Dennis Bryant version is here

Thread: M8 Prop Adaptor - HELP!
10/08/2020 14:22:53

Putting the adaptor onto the motor and levering the prop nut by hand often straightens the soft thread enough.. The main thing is that the prop seats on the flat face nicely and the nut is tight.

You could always contact your local model engineering society and see if anyon can help make an adaptor - chances are if he is a real engineer he will straighten it by hand though!

In the right hands a 'Birmingham Screwdriver' is a precision tool!

10/08/2020 14:04:03

At first glance I thought the mention of thumbscrews was for the purpose of persuading the lawmakers to be sensible, but I see it's for a more mundane purpose. Good idea though---

-for wing fixing!

10/08/2020 13:01:32

Yes, I am mostly electric these days - - but ic pilots could use the same hatch catches or magnets if they choose not to adulterate their model! I imagine that a scale fanatic would devise some scale panel or fitting that could be held on with magnets yet be removeable to reveal the reg letters to comply with the letter of this useless law.

However there are other places to discuss this stupid law if you want, but this thread is just to inform a returnee of the need to do it in case he was not aware.

Edited By kc on 10/08/2020 13:03:47

Thread: M8 Prop Adaptor - HELP!
10/08/2020 12:23:28

Could it be the same as this one?

If you take a chance and buy that then also spend 14 pence and get this shaft that might just be the spare shaft you could use otherwise.

If you are in a rush then consider trying to straighten the adaptor - they are soft and can be 'bent'  straight with a little care. 

Edited By kc on 10/08/2020 12:31:08

10/08/2020 12:01:01

One thing that has changed is the requirement to register with CAA , take a test and pay your 9 pounds before you fly an over 250gram model that is not control line. But it's dead simple and everyone has done it even the least computer literate member of my club ( with a little computer help from a friend) has passed the simple questionaire test. Just do it and put your reg letters on or inside hatch of your model.

Edited By kc on 10/08/2020 12:02:19

Thread: Electric Motor failed ?
10/08/2020 11:26:41

It is possible one of the motor 'bullet' connectors has come loose or unsoldered. I had a similar problem that turned out to be a connector that had become slightly loose and therefore arc'ed and then unsoldered itself. Held together by the heatshrink it wasn't obvious.......

Thread: back issues
10/08/2020 09:14:21

Well it would look upside down if you are in the Antipodes!

If you build the Bootlace please post some details of the build in due course.

Thread: Litttle Toot 1/4 scale
10/08/2020 08:43:01

Mark. welcome to the forum.

If you look on the thread that Jim Carss suggested then you will find that the Tapsfield plan is in the March 1975 Radio Modeller ( not 1974 ) You will also see there are several similar plans as explained in that thread from 10 years ago. I am confident that the info I gave then was the correct info on the Tapsfield 1975 plan. It would be worth finding out which plan number you have you have before trying to get a copy of the article. I am surprised that SLEC would have cut a set of parts for the 1975 plan unless they did it specially for you.

Thread: Banggood
07/08/2020 18:43:49

Most people consider it best to ensure their order from HobbyKing comes from the UK warehouse or the European warehouse to avoid customs duty etc being added. Very easy to miss that the warehouse has changed whilst you order other items!

Thread: Repairing a concealed elevator snake
06/08/2020 20:33:00

Well nobody has commented so far and I don't know this model so cannot help. Suggest you show a photo of the area concerned which may get some help.

Generally I would suggest that if you cannot get the pushrod out to fit a new one the only other way would be to put a snake there instead or fix a servo near the tail with a direct pushrod. However I suspect your problem is more how to get inside to couple things up - possibly you need to be brave and do some surgery!

06/08/2020 20:33:00

Well nobody has commented so far and I don't know this model so cannot help. Suggest you show a photo of the area concerned which may get some help.

Generally I would suggest that if you cannot get the pushrod out to fit a new one the only other way would be to put a snake there instead or fix a servo near the tail with a direct pushrod. However I suspect your problem is more how to get inside to couple things up - possibly you need to be brave and do some surgery!

Thread: How much have you spent on modeling in 2020?
06/08/2020 17:42:59

Surely if any thread is to be closed by the Mods it should be this one! This thread could cause divorce, loss of subscribers to RCME, loss of hot dinners, more closures of modelshops,demand for more expenditure on the house, buying of more new clothes ( for her ) clothes not laundered, new curtains, scrutiny of credit card statements, inventory of how many models you have, confiscation of credit cards, more and more new shoes,..........and endless undesirable repercussions!

However chaps in all honesty I have spent far far less than you have .........I am doing this for you not for me!

Sorry Paul .....if only you had started a thread saying how much money have you SAVED.........or how much cheaper is the model club subs than the local golf course fee......or have you saved more money on haircuts than you spent on model aircraft.....

Thread: Radiomaster TX16s Anyone tried one?
06/08/2020 16:06:33

The snag with importing radios yourself is that if anything is not to UK standards ( e.g. DSM2 Tx ) then it could possibly be impounded by customs. So you might lose out rather than saving money! The BMFA Handbook has some words about the responsibility being yours to ensure radio etc complies with standards. It doesn't seem worth it when you also consider that you don't get the same sort of warranty that would come with a UK purchase. .

Thread: Biplane build required
06/08/2020 15:27:39

Struts can just slot into place. It is common to see struts made of a central core of plwood with balsa fairings.The ply forms a tenon that fits into a piece of slotted ply on the wing and the balsa the shoulders. When placed in position the wings keep the struts in place without any other fixings.

06/08/2020 13:23:36

If you want a biplane and round engine then build a Tinker and also Miss Lizzy! I bet most people could build both quicker than one scale biplane! With a little ingenuity though you could put a radial cowl on any biplane - a Tinker could easily have a radial cowl added in the same way Tequila Sunrise or Miss Lizzie has the cowl built.

Miss Lizzy  is a Peter Miller plan and a larger version of of Tequila or one of his other plans ( similar but different wing sections perhaps )

Edited By kc on 06/08/2020 13:28:13

Edited By kc on 06/08/2020 13:36:54

06/08/2020 12:51:36

Gordon Whitehead's Bucker Jungmeister perhaps? free plan on Outerzone

Or Gordon's Great Lakes Special

or his  Krier Kraft

WacoE  for electric.

Waco AGC

Lots of work in a scale biplane though plus the assembly at field. Consider some simple bipes like those from DB Sport & Scale- Tinker, Richtofen ( can be clipped wing like the Mannock if 60 inch is too big.

Edited By kc on 06/08/2020 13:05:05

Edited By kc on 06/08/2020 13:10:23

Edited By kc on 06/08/2020 13:11:58

Thread: CARSON REFLEX
04/08/2020 13:33:55

If the Carson set is surface vehicle then the Futaba T6L ( or preferably the T6K at 162 pounds) seems much better to me. Or Spektrum.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!