By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Peter Russell's Models. Anybody know what happened to them?
19/05/2020 11:34:05

John, if you have researched the STOL I expect you have seen the Mass Build thread on this forum. You will see there was a discussion about the wingspan and most people were convinced it was 52 or something wingspan because that's what the plan they bought recently measured. Nobody could find an original plan to measure it but the Plans Handbook stated 48 inch span. I thought the Plans Handbook was probably right and that somehow the recent plans sold had been computerised and increased the whole plane size. Now the Outerzone plan appears to be an original and clearly shows in wriiting that it is 48 inch span. So modern plans are a slightly enlarged version while Outerzone seems to have the original.

So beware before you build a new wing that you are building one from a plan that matches your fuselage!

Note also that the Outerzone plan is the first type with undercambered airfoil not the Mark2 version shown in RCME OCT 83 which is flat bottomed airfoil with a better construction and ailerons and flaps shown. ( Compare the article drawing with plan)  Also has an obvious error in the flap bellcrank handing which are drawn as aileron would be!

Edited By kc on 19/05/2020 11:51:11

Edited By kc on 19/05/2020 12:00:17

Thread: Does anybody know how to fix this?
18/05/2020 16:07:24

It's probably too late now as it happened over a year ago but if it was a genuine accident then perhaps it would have been covered by your household insurance if you had accidental damage cover? Be interesting to know if anyone has found their household insurance any use when accidental damage occurred to such items - was the 'excess' so high it wasnt worth claiming or was the item specifically excluded from cover?

Thread: 6EXP 35MHz Upgrade Options
18/05/2020 15:59:30

I expect one of the technical experts will comment soon and tell you whether it's practical or not. But if its not even working on 35 mhz then perhaps its probably not worth bothering. But why isnt it working? Removed the crystal perhaps?

Thread: Does anybody know how to fix this?
18/05/2020 12:51:31

I wonder whether the parts used now could be similar to those used in older 35 mhz ones. Loads of 35 mhz Futaba are sitting around unused & more or less scrap, maybe a part could be utilised?

However my view is that it's not worth paying to repair TX or Rx as the cost is usually high and reliability is everyting in radios so I wouldn't fly anything that had been tinkered about with inside!

Thread: Smoking....
17/05/2020 18:49:48

Martin, this was in the City of London in the era when secretaries were considered essential and the more attractive the better.

My wife remembers the same indian file of BT men in her office too, it was normal.

It's a forgotten thing now but Telex used to be an essential thing to international trade. Completely superceded by e- mail now I suppose. As old fashioned as a typing pool.

17/05/2020 17:56:15

All the BT people will know this but for anyone else it's worth reading about Tommy Flowers here. Or just read the last line and note that all the companies mentioned are foreign owned which explains a lot about Britain.

17/05/2020 17:44:24

Very interesting thread even if it veered off track.

I must be the only aeromodeller who has never worked for BT - most of my clubmates did.

From the publics point of view BT was visibly hopelessly inefficient in the 70's and 80's. It was legendary that BT engineers came in 3 or 4's for the simplest job. The sight of 3 or 4 BT men walking in indian file down the office was so common people still talk about it. The first man carried a small leather pouch, the second a spare phone, the third carried a larger toolbag and the fourth probably carried a telex machine or perhaps the lunch. Not the mens fault I suppose and the spare men may have been trainees, but it looked inefficient. As a potential customer the cost of installing a phone line to my first house was so expensive I couldn't consider it. My parents had to put up with a 'party line' for years - shared with next door because BT couldn't provide enough lines in the area. Now every child insists on having their own mobile phone. From one extreme to the other. Now when they see their home phone bill many people now question whether there is any need for a hard wired phone line to their home. I am sitting looking at the dangling wire from a telephone pole to my house wondering whether that is really necessary- why isn't it underground? The most modern and essential ( especially in lockdown ) means of communication relies on victorian telephone poles!

However lets remember if it wasnt forTommy Flowers of Bletchley Park fame ( Dollis Hill actually and lack of fame really) we wouldn't be here on our computers and the internet. And we wouldn't have all the modern micro electronic stuff that enables RC to be available. So we do appreciate BT engineers really!

Edited By kc on 17/05/2020 17:51:39

Thread: Looking for fine control snakes
17/05/2020 13:20:12

I see what your idea is. Maybe a balsa pushrod perhaps with a bit of carbon fibre?

17/05/2020 12:53:21

I know that what I suggested is a complication, so why not use a couple of tiny servos with a tiny Lemon Rx? Weight is less than 28 grams and cost is less than 20 pounds, works with any SpektrumTX.

17/05/2020 11:38:47

A closed loop system could be used even with a linear servo by using a short pushrod to a pivoted arm ( servo arm ) which has the wires attached.

16/05/2020 16:10:21

You could consider using closed loop system which would save a lot of weight especially at the tail end.

You can find closed loop wire and fittings at SLEC who also do fine 'snakes' etc etc.

Edited By kc on 16/05/2020 16:13:42

Thread: Coffin dodger needs help.
16/05/2020 14:02:32

One tip on a similar subject is that servos etc normally come with a Futaba style plug but they come in two types

one is the proper Futaba plug which has a ridge down the side to ensure it goes into the socket the correct way. Sometimes the Rx or extension won't accept theis ridge so the solution is to slice off the ridge with a scalpel.

the other does not have the ridge. This can go into the Rx etc either way but only works one way. Solution is to turn it around - it does not do any harm servos if the wrong way but just doesn't work.

Thread: I think ive boobed...
15/05/2020 17:14:45

Tx & Rx that were sold before the cutoff date can still be used. And modern Rx (specified to be DSM2 & DSMX ) can work with any Spektrum TX. Newest Tx cannot be used with old DSM2 only Rx but those old DSM2 Rx can still be used if you have a Tx with DSM2.

Having said all that most people reckon DSMX is better than DSM2.

15/05/2020 15:19:15

What was the fix?

15/05/2020 15:12:08

Perhaps you have the later DX6i which is DSMX only. Or you might have the earliest one which was DSM2 only. There was one which came between that was DSM2 and DSMX but that could not be imported after a certain date due to EU regs.

For about 15 pounds you can buy a tiny spektrum compatible Rx which will work on any of those Tx. Would that help?

Edited By kc on 15/05/2020 15:18:37

Thread: Has anyone heard from Jeff2Wings ?
15/05/2020 13:27:48

In the current crisis it's possible the person lacks internet access ( that they had at work) or is just too busy to post on the forum.

Bob said " I've noticed a lot of 'former member' posts of late " and he is right. It's such a shame to delete all previous posts that were acceptable and it's sometimes destroyed a very informative thread with great info just because someone has left. Why is that done? We never know what has happened to the person.

Thread: Henley Solon
14/05/2020 19:28:48

Two things about old soldering irons

1 they don't work well with leadfree solder - although leaded is still available.

2 Wonder whether they use asbestos or anything now considered nasty in the iron?

My Henly Solon 25 watt bought about 1960 still works OK after 60 years of occasional use.

Thread: Bike Maintenance Stand to Model Stand?
14/05/2020 18:53:58

You could splash out and buy the proper thing from SLEC. Also there is a design for a similar thing available online -somewhere.

Thread: Clips
14/05/2020 17:29:21

They have been sold by SLEC for about 30 years but most peoples experience is they don't hold the wheels on well enough, unless you file a groove in the wire. Then you cannot get them off at all!.

Thread: For Better or for worse
14/05/2020 13:04:21

The best bit about having a reversing camera on your car is that you can take a last look at your precious plane as you reverse over it!

Seriously Chris should be grateful that it didn't hit anyone & nobody tried to sue the car's owner for 'injury' in todays litigous times. Just a bit of mess on the wing is getting away lightly ...and hopefully by being a gentleman about it he still gets hot meals.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!