By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for kc

Here is a list of all the postings kc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aileron servo mounting
06/10/2019 16:26:35

There are several ways of fixing the servos 'on their side' including these -

1. is to wrap 3 layers of masking tape around the servo body and epoxy the masking tape down onto the ply plate. If the servo needs changing the masking tape is cut away. I have not used this method but it was shown in an article by Sid King in RCModelWorld a few years ago and seems worthwhile and cheap.

2. To be able to screw the servo down use these mounts from SLEC ( also by RadioActive ) These are shown in some Peter Miller designs.   Note that the SLEC photo shows them as bought and not separated from the 'sprue'  also despite the name single it looks like a set for 2 servos.  The Radio Active catalogue has a better drawing which shows how they are used.

Edited By kc on 06/10/2019 16:35:13

Thread: Peter Delaney Sportstar
05/10/2019 14:09:15

This plan was originally a Traplet plan MW2972 and the instructions were in the Traplet 'Plans and Construction Guide ' No9 where it says its for a1.20 fourstroke. Was it also published in RCModelWorld ? As with all the other Traplet plans it's now sold by Sarik.

The tiny bit of the plan shown in the article seems to show a built up wing.   The u/c came from Alpha Wing and distributed by Chris Foss designs at that time.  ( some years ago so it might have changed )

Note there is also a Sportstar 53 by John Whitehead which was a free plan with RCModelWorld September 2004  plan MW3099.  Span is only 52 inches.

Phil. if you don't have this Plans Guide then I might be able to scan a copy of the article for you.

Edited By kc on 05/10/2019 14:16:31

Edited By kc on 05/10/2019 14:25:47

Edited By kc on 05/10/2019 14:29:29

Thread: Solar Film Iron
04/10/2019 17:33:11

Solarfilm etc residue can be removed from a cold iron with cellulose thinners.

04/10/2019 17:22:50

Nobody seems to have offered yet......

Many people still use a household iron - maybe an old one or a travel one - which works well if it's thermostatically controlled. Just a little heavier and not quite so easy to get into corners as the proper modelling irons, but works well enough.

Solarfilm is no longer made but some colours are still available. The alternative film from Hobby King is extremely good and considered better than Solarfilm and much cheaper.

Consider tissue and dope or the modern version of dope=Eze Dope  from DeLuxe Materials. Some people use brown paper and diluted PVA or tissue and wallpaper paste on sheeted surfaces.

Edited By kc on 04/10/2019 17:26:52

Thread: XT-90
04/10/2019 17:00:17

The Component Shop seem to list them

Thread: Guess the fault
03/10/2019 17:57:59

Poor contact somewhere - likely to be the switch.

Thread: Spektrum newbie
03/10/2019 17:45:15

That chart seems handy but a bit complex. The DX6G3 sems to be the one to have at a modest price. Some others don't have wired trainer link which might be important if your instructor does not have wireless link. It's the instructors Tx that has wireless link, pupil can have a Spektrum without wireless and still link to instructors wireless TX.

Note that DX6i are not sold now, ( they are grey not black like latest ones) and that any secondhand ones can be DSM2 only,or DSM2and DSMX or DSMX only which are the latest ones imported to UK.  As long as the Rx is DSMX then they will all work.

Edited By kc on 03/10/2019 17:49:41

Thread: Binding DX6i to AR6200
03/10/2019 16:23:28

If all the advice given so far fails to identify the problem then try borrowing a known good Rx and see if the Tx is at fault, so that you could quickly reject the Tx or Rx as faulty.

Thread: Spektrum newbie
03/10/2019 16:16:08

The latest DX6 would be quite adequate for training and would be suitable for most models after too unless you know you want more than 6 channels. A lot cheaper than the DX7 and 8.

Thread: DB Sport and Scale
03/10/2019 16:11:17

Well actually Miss Demeanour was renamed Miss Deeds and it was in the Oct 2019 RCME which should be available here. as it's just been replaced by the latest issue. It would be a good first plan built model for an experienced pilot.

Note that for a first build it's much better to build a purpose designed electric model if electric is what you require as a electrifying a glow model would need a little engine mount redesigning to get CG right and allow a hatch for Lipo access. Not impossible for the first time builder but worth avoiding if a suitable electric design is available.

03/10/2019 13:56:06

As you can see on the Outerzone plan it does show interplane struts on the Tinker but they are not structural so are optional. Does look nicer with struts!

03/10/2019 13:34:07

I wonder if it's possible the Rx has actually been bound all along! To check what actually happens - it's a year or two since I last did Spektrum- I went through the process as per the manual with a DX6i and the AR610Rx did flash after binding but eventully it worked OK when a servo was plugged in. The ESC played up a bit and confused the situation - didnt play the right tune until I operated the throttle up and down sequence a couple of times.

My DX6i is the later type ( post 2015 ) which is DSMX only but it still shows DSM2 as an option under Modulation Type in the Setup menu- but it wont work as DSM2- it's obviously been crippled in the software but not changed in the menus. So looking on the menu won't tell anyone whether it works on DSM2 !

Edited By kc on 03/10/2019 13:53:29

03/10/2019 13:09:58

Have you looked at Outerzone? Plenty of plans to download there and worth looking at some even if you have no intention of building - you will learn a lot. Look for some of Peter Millers plans there.  The Tinker bipe is there on Outerzone but it's better/nicer to buy the plan with precut ribs from DB Sport& Scale.    You can view online in Adobe Acrobat and if you want download to a memory stick and take to a local copyshop to print  at full size .

Cheapest and easiest is to get last months RCME and consider building the plan there ( Miss Deameanour I think ) but it's not a bipe. The plan is free with the mag and back issues are available for a few months and the issue with the Ohmen plan may still be available. Best of all there are build blogs here on the forum and Peter himself may even comment if you have a problem. ( otherwise the rest of us will advise as best we can)

A simple model built and completed is better than a half built scale model

Edited By kc on 03/10/2019 13:14:09

Edited By kc on 03/10/2019 13:17:17

02/10/2019 19:12:02

The chart above shows settings you should use. It does not allow for the late type UK/EU spec DX6i etc which are DSMX only if imported after Jan 1 2015

02/10/2019 19:07:13

dsmx0009.jpg

Thread: Who wants to share a new Flair Baronette build?
02/10/2019 12:07:13

That's quite a neat bit of panel beating on that cowl........there may be others interested in how you did it.

02/10/2019 10:29:15

Are you looking at the kits or the Plan/Packs?

There is so much more work on a biplane compared to a monoplane that for a first build a monoplane would be easier and quicker. Maybe the Ghost Rider or the larger version Skyrider from the Plan Packs could be considered. Plan Packs are just the plan and if you want the wing ribs and u/c etc. Buying wing ribs precut makes a first build much easier.

If you must build a bipe then the Tinker or Tinker Major must be one of the easiest biplanes to build - no cabane struts or interplane struts. There is a feature here on the forum about Tinker if you search. Tinker is now available as a kit or as a Plan Pack

Thread: Balsa skin on wing
01/10/2019 19:54:41

Pro -Skin does indeed seem a good idea. It is twice the price of 1/16 balsa and a little more than1/32 ply but a third the price of 1/64 ply. And presumably does not need covering material as balsa would.

The other items on the page Martin linked are well worth looking at - hard to get tiny screws, fake rivets, all sorts of unusual fittings and loads of other stuff. A must see and bookmark page!

Thread: Piano wire
01/10/2019 15:42:15

There are plenty of online conversion tables for SWG to inches or millimetres such as this one

which will show what Peter meant

Also note that american plans show AWG which is one size different to SWG

I would also suggest Balsa Cabin as a supplier of good piano wire.

Thread: Think I've been spammed!
01/10/2019 12:27:26

All these things are getting worse because the punishment is too lenient even if the fraudster is caught. But it's all made possible because everyone is too often afraid to publish the name and address of culprits.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us